Oompa Loompa

Vegans

My eggs cost about $1 a dozen at the moment, but through Autumn & early winter I reckon they were about $2 each. Bloody freeloading hens.

I wonder what Alex's mum and dad think of his venture into veganism - I wonder what their diet is like - the diet he was raised on :shy:

Mum and dad don't really mind. I let them eat what they want but they still eat a few vegan meals a week such as a veggie curry or veggie casserole as they love it when I make it. My brother soon became vegan after I did and so did my older sister due to acne problems that she has had for an extensive period of time. She's 2 months in and her acne has really cleared up, only a few bits here and there.

We were raised on a standard family diet (meat and three veg, spag bol, pizzas, fish, curry etc). I have 4 sisters and a brother so everything was cooked in bulk, you couldn't be picky either.

Man, we're getting into some serious shit now :shocking:

Check your immune system, I think your sarcasm detector is broken.

• Like 1

If you really want to see what your mum and dad think of your diet, have a look around the dinner table at Christmas time. That will be all the validation you need.

And if granny says you should have a piece of beef with gravy on it, whatcha all gonna do? Say no? No you will suck it up and eat the meat so you don't upset granny ( that's if you still have one, so for the PC fun police out there substitute granny for guru or swammie or just your dear old mum....whatever!).

I bet that if you have the meat and don't have a finger down the throat for dessert, you will feel strangely well and full of energy later on.

If you really want to see what your mum and dad think of your diet, have a look around the dinner table at Christmas time. That will be all the validation you need.

And if granny says you should have a piece of beef with gravy on it, whatcha all gonna do? Say no? No you will suck it up and eat the meat so you don't upset granny ( that's if you still have one, so for the PC fun police out there substitute granny for guru or swammie or just your dear old mum....whatever!).

I bet that if you have the meat and don't have a finger down the throat for dessert, you will feel strangely well and full of energy later on.

I'm off to Christmas Mass, then I'm coming home to smash a roast down my gob like we did back in the old country in 1789.... Lol

Whether you are being sarcastic or not this IMO is just going too far with comments especially in relation to Alex's family. FFS people he is not ramming it down everyone's throat to become vegan.

Just because he doesn't want to eat meat doesn't mean he is a lesser person than anyone here.

Being a person who doesn't drink alcohol, I know what it feels to be different and not a follower and stand by my beliefs. We don't all have to be followers we make our own decisions based on our beliefs not what makes us fit in.

In regards to fitting in. I know so many people who buy stuff, drink, smoke just to fit in not because the enjoy it but to fit in.

Being an individual takes courage and determination and shows character.

You can't take out of this what you want but please lay off the family shit.

• Like 2

Just a couple of facts for you Mike.

Each day a person who eats a vegan diet saves:

- 4163.953 litres of water

- 20.4117kgs of grain, which is used to feed animals.

- 1 animals life.

Additionally:

- We also growing enough food for 10 billion people, yet we still can’t end world hunger.

- More than 6 million animals are killed for human consumption every hour.

- 3 quarters of the world’s fisheries are either depleted or exploited, including both land and sea fisheries.

Also farting cows are warming the planet and having land cleared of forests

Cheers Greyman, mental note taken.

It's interesting that a young 20 odd year old can behave with so much maturity while guys who really should know better carry on like playground bullies.

• Like 6

#teamalex for me

Why can't people just respect the choices other people make? Especially when it has no effect on their life.

• Like 5

FB, if you read my first post on this thread you will see I respect Alex's right to be a vegan and I even noted it was great that he has the courage to stand here openly willing to answer questions on veganism (is that a word?) I just have a problem with 'trendy vegans' who really aren't vegan and are indirectly devaluing the position of real vegans. At no time in my last post did I mention anyone's family in particular. You just read it that way.

As this thread spiralled into the usual slurs I thought I'd make a generalised post to highlight how people can misinterpret other people's thoughts and this is generally generationally based. For APs generation, mine and those in their mid to late 40's, the scenario I outlined is pretty familiar. Most people have a sister or brother who rolled out the " I'm a vegan" at dinner sometime or other. And the reaction of family members is many and varied. Usually the individual just sucks it up, has the dinner mum cooked or leaves the table etc etc.

The younger generation have been raised with different sets of boundaries and have a different reaction to what I posted, as they most likely see it as outrageous that a family would force their will onto them at the dinner table.

Much the same reaction occurred when Alex posted his stats about animals killed in the world each day. I made no comment because I had no information to the contrary of what Alex posted. I was sceptical, but haven't bothered to research it as its not important to me right now. However, have a look at the posts for and against what Alex said.

It's all our individual choice how we eat and what we eat. Where it becomes a problem is when we all start telling each other what to do.

It's all our individual choice how we eat and what we eat. Where it becomes a problem is when we all start telling each other what to do.

That is so true.

I was sitting at the local pub a couple months ago having a meal. A woman walking past a nearby table stopped, and without introduction starting telling the woman there that she was causing the inhumane death of animals by eating the steak she had on her plate. The woman seated was visibly upset at the other woman's initial outburst till her partner jumped in and told the woman what she could do with her thoughts.

Unfortunately this is the picture a lot of people have of Vegans & Vegetarians. We only ever get to see the bad ones, because we don't realise the good ones are there, because they're not in your face. Glad you guys aren't like her.

ps: The pub specializes in steaks ffs.

Vegans dont eat eggs. Or drink milky coffee

I am aware of that - how do the poor bastards get their protein ? The hunter gatherers who were my ancestors hunted animals and raided bird nests - even ate the birds if they caught them - I believe that the higher protein intake contributed to the development of a bigger brain - which allowed us to analyse things and make choices our less developed cousins in the animal world couldn't do

Next Saturday my aunt turns 102yrs - she has sugar in her tea - likes sweet biscuits and chocolate - she has smaller portions of meat these days but she still eats it - imagine how many animals she has eaten in 102yrs :smile1:

Â

I am aware of that - how do the poor bastards get their protein ? The hunter gatherers who were my ancestors hunted animals and raided bird nests - even ate the birds if they caught them - I believe that the higher protein intake contributed to the development of a bigger brain - which allowed us to analyse things and make choices our less developed cousins in the animal world couldn't doÂ

Â

Next Saturday my aunt turns 102yrs - she has sugar in her tea - likes sweet biscuits and chocolate - she has smaller portions of meat these days but she still eats it - imagine how many animals she has eaten in 102yrs :smile1:

I'm sure you're aware of the plentiful plant based alternative protein sources.

Ancient man did not have the knowledge and technology to research that we do now. The point is that eating meat nowadays is a choice, it is not required for survival.

To me, vegans and vegetarians alike, I think a lot of the decision to not eat meat is weighing up the real cost of a momentary satisfaction of the taste buds.

As a serious question, is there any point being a detary vegan , if you are not going "all the way".

If you are wearing leather shoes then a cow has to die, so you may as well eat the meat as well otherwise this would be seen as wasteful.

As a serious question, is there any point being a detary vegan , if you are not going "all the way".

If you are wearing leather shoes then a cow has to die, so you may as well eat the meat as well otherwise this would be seen as wasteful.

I think it would depend on the reason why the person became a vegan - and don't forget the feather down pillows and doonas as well.

I have one mate who went vegan as he got diagnosed with a medical condition around 35, he changed his diet to vegan and found it slowed the condition right down. He does it purely for the dietary benefits and loves his fashion and appears to have no problem sporting a leather jacket still. He has introduced a few things back into his diet so might be more vegetarian now than vegan like he was.

Then I have another 'friend' who wasn't doing well with relationships, his business or much else so sought out a life coach. A few months after weekly sessions with her he discovered amongst other things he had "too great of a love for animals" and has since joined the Sea Shepherd and can be found in most animal protests including those against the RSPCA for being too soft (his last campaign against them was at the million paws walk to highlight the "hypocrisy" of having a fundraising sausage sizzle). He is very serious about any animal injustice and I doubt has anything not made of natural fibres even in shoes. I rarely see him anymore though so hard to tell

Another serious thought, would veggies fertilised with blood and bone be an issue? Is there going to be a vegetarian vegetable label requirement in the future?

Another serious thought, would veggies fertilised with blood and bone be an issue? Is there going to be a vegetarian vegetable label requirement in the future?

Or organic veges grown with "dynamic lifter" which is just dehydrated chook manure - all organic veges are grown with compost - a high percentage of compost is manure ??????

Â

If you are wearing leather shoes then a cow has to die, so you may as well eat the meat as well otherwise this would be seen as wasteful.Â

I agree.

My wife and I intentionally didn't buy a car with leather seats when replacing the one that did.

I'm wearing a leather belt now, is that hypocritical? I'd say yes as per your comment but my next one won't be. Weaning off it.

Can't say I'm at that level of complete detachment from 100% of animal products but it's not a competition and I don't really care how that's judged.

To me it's about how it makes me feel and because I legitimately love animals. As someone asked before, no I wouldn't use a mousetrap etc and I don't kill spiders etc. Legitimately the only time I would kill an animal is if it was them or me.

My brother did some work with an anti poaching organisation in Africa headed by an ex special forces member. He has a great TED talk which discusses the moment he identified his own hypocrisy in daving the rhinos then sitting down for a steak. He's vegetarian now.

Also think it's great to have a debate with mostly adult non-ridiculing discourse

Â

Or organic veges grown with "dynamic lifter" which is just dehydrated chook manure - all organic veges are grown with compost - a high percentage of compost is manure ??????

That would depend to me if you knew where it came from. I don't have a problem with animal products obtained without harming the animal. But if it came from battery hens etc then hell no

That would depend to me if you knew where it came from. I don't have a problem with animal products obtained without harming the animal. But if it came from battery hens etc then hell no

It has to come from battery hens - you can't go round a free range farm and pick up enough to make hundreds of tons of "dynamic lifter" - it is the organic fertiliser of choice for the heavy feeding plants like lettuce, coriander, celery, kale, spinach - think about that next time you go organic :shy:

Â

It has to come from battery hens - you can't go round a free range farm and pick up enough to make hundreds of tons of "dynamic lifter" - it is the organic fertiliser of choice for the heavy feeding plants like lettuce, coriander, celery, kale, spinach - think about that next time you go organic :shy:Â Â Â

Agree if you're buying 'organic' labeled crap from supermarkets. It's generally not hard to find decent local suppliers at markets etc and find out where the food comes from if so inclined though

What is the vegan position on vermin? Say the government decides to cull roos or rabbits or alligators from somewhere through necessity (and let's not debate necessity just now) then would a vegan be OK to eat the meat or wear a kanga skin belt?

I wonder if it's different if the animal was going to be killed regardless?

I wondered that with 'non lethal' products like milk and eggs but then I read some of the things they do to encourage milk and egg production and I concede it's fairly ordinary treatment.

What is the vegan position on vermin? Say the government decides to cull roos or rabbits or alligators from somewhere through necessity (and let's not debate necessity just now) then would a vegan be OK to eat the meat or wear a kanga skin belt?

Â

Not for me.

Â

I once heard an ethicist say that if he was vegetarian he would have no problem eating road kill as it had died but not as a result of demand created by carnivores.

I once heard an ethicist say that if he was vegetarian he would have no problem eating road kill as it had died but not as a result of demand created by carnivores.

Maybe it's ok to farm animals as long as they're well looked after and only eaten once they've died from natural causes...

Maybe it's ok to farm animals as long as they're well looked after and only eaten once they've died from natural causes...

My chickens run at 12 to the acre, have a wind and predator proof enclosure at night, get warm porridge or pasta on a cold winter's mornings, and are regularly cuddled by children. If one goes broody I let her raise a few chicks, but the rest of the time, I don't mind eating their eggs.

My chickens run at 12 to the acre, have a wind and predator proof enclosure at night, get warm porridge or pasta on a cold winter's mornings, and are regularly cuddled by children. If one goes broody I let her raise a few chicks, but the rest of the time, I don't mind eating their eggs.

Sounds like an idyllic existence for both chicken and man.

My brother did some work with an anti poaching organisation in Africa headed by an ex special forces member. He has a great TED talk which discusses the moment he identified his own hypocrisy in daving the rhinos then sitting down for a steak. He's vegetarian now.

I once dated a girl that wouldn't eat any animal that wasn't bred to eat.

For example would eat farmed fish but not fish caught in the ocean.

Her justification was that if it wasn't farmed it would have never lived in the first play.

And 6 months or whatever in life was better than nothing.

Bit like some marriages. A few years happy is better than never getting married.

Exactly.

What if the animal you want to protect kills other animals to survive?

Doesn't happen, one of the key rules of planet of the apes is ape shall not kill ape. Edited by Oompa Loompa
  • Like 1

Would be good to edit all the off subject posts in this thread, lock it, and move it to tri gold.

Appreciate it kicks against the pricks for so many but certsinly is informative and shows a different way is possible.

• Like 1

Would be good to edit all the off subject posts in this thread, lock it, and move it to tri gold.

Appreciate it kicks against the pricks for so many but certsinly is informative and shows a different way is possible.

Even if the off subject posts aren't edited, putting it in trigold is a good idea. It's becoming more and more popular by the day due to a lot of young kids seeing the world in a different perspective and jumping on board due to this. Give it time and it will soon become the norm.

If anyone is interested, there is an Osher Gunsberg podcast with Greg Chappell who is a vegan.

Hmm, just read through the whole thread again, not sure it's reached any great heights...

Hmm, just read through the whole thread again, not sure it's reached any great heights...

It's not about reaching great heights, or saying who is right or who is wrong but I think Oompa nailed it on the head, "Appreciate it kicks against the pricks for so many but certainly is informative and shows a different way is possible."

Even if the off subject posts aren't edited, putting it in trigold is a good idea. It's becoming more and more popular by the day due to a lot of young kids seeing the world in a different perspective and jumping on board due to this. Give it time and it will soon become the norm.

The norm. Yep. Just like they vote Labor till they are 35. Edit. These days sb Greens till Labor till Libs.

Or in my case during my pritiken phase (anyone remember him?) be vego till I became anaemic.

The answer may lie in this movie. Soylent Green.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0070723/plotsummary

Edited by Mjainoz

It's not about reaching great heights, or saying who is right or who is wrong but I think Oompa nailed it on the head, "Appreciate it kicks against the pricks for so many but certainly is informative and shows a different way is possible."

I'm not saying it's not a worthwhile topic, but I think it would be better served by a good write up explaining the pros and cons and the day to day challenges. I'm just not sure this thread really gets that across - I think something more considered would be more valuable.