Oompa Loompa

Vegans

Sorry Oompa Loompa here they are

http://www.bewellbuzz.com/body-buzz/nutrition/eating-blood-type-a-a/

http://www.bewellbuzz.com/general/eating-blood-type-o/

If you due for a blood test best asking doctor to have blood type as well for reference

It says I need to clear the kitchen of all ham, pork & bacon. I did that pretty well yesterday morning. :)

• Like 1

Thanks FB, I had no idea that there were diets/suggested eating for your blood type. Basically, at the end of the day, I went plant based due to:

a) enjoying food that made me feel good, feel fuller for longer, gave me more energy with less crashes throughout the day

B) Animal welfare. I've even spoken to three farmers in the riverina who run dairys and they've even said that they can't see the dairy industry being here in the next 40 to 50 years. They said humans have absolutely killed the sustaibility of the dairy industry by over consuming over the past 10 years.

It's also quite interesting to see that there are a lot of vegans aged from 14-20 years of age. There's clearly a lot of compassion and care for not only animals but the sustainability of this planet. There's currently 3 vegans in the dorm that I live in, all male and all aged 21. I never once tried to convert them at all, but they took interest in what I was doing, asked a few questions and made the switch on their own.

Edited by alexholbrook
  • Like 1

Is that because you can't explain how it is?

Nahh I can definitely tell you how it is. It's just that when people are put under the pump in person they can't rattle of a single thing.

I eat a shit load of meat and drink 2 litres of milk a week, but I'd love to hear your answer Mike. Alex asked first, I'm sure he will respond

Well go on then

Just a couple of facts for you Mike.

Each day a person who eats a vegan diet saves:

- 4163.953 litres of water

- 20.4117kgs of grain, which is used to feed animals.

- 1 animals life.

Additionally:

- We also growing enough food for 10 billion people, yet we still can’t end world hunger.

- More than 6 million animals are killed for human consumption every hour.

- 3 quarters of the world’s fisheries are either depleted or exploited, including both land and sea fisheries.

• Like 1

Just a couple of facts for you Mike.Â

Â

-Â Â Â Â Â Â 4163.953 litres of water

-Â Â Â Â Â Â 20.4117kgs of grain, which is used to feed animals.

-Â Â Â Â Â Â 1 animals life.

Â

Additionally:

-Â Â Â Â Â Â We also growing enough food for 10 billion people, yet we still canât end world hunger.Â

-Â Â Â Â Â Â More than 6 million animals are killed for human consumption every hour.

-Â Â Â Â Â Â 3 quarters of the worldâs fisheries are either depleted or exploited, including both land and sea fisheries.Â

Im not dissing u Alex.

But i dont eat an animal a day. So how does being vegan for a day save 1 animal ?

When I got my new teeth I had them make them with all canines so there'd be no confusion.

• Like 1

im-a-vegan-comic-400x209.jpg

I'm sure your kids are real proud of your efforts on this forum. Nothing better than trying to belittle someone to boost your own self importance. Kinda like the reason you post with a fake name

Im not dissing u Alex.

But i dont eat an animal a day. So how does being vegan for a day save 1 animal ?

But that's just it, today I ate a few French Toulouse sausages and I'm sure a whole pig didn't go into sausages...... But then tomorrow I eat a dozen oysters and half a kilo of prawns and wipe out 50 animals......

So if I'm a vegan today, one animal, tomorrow it could be 50.

Edited by Oompa Loompa

But that's just it, today I ate a few French Toulouse sausages and I'm sure a whole pig didn't go into sausages...... But then tomorrow I eat a dozen oysters and half a kilo of prawns and wipe out 50 animals......

So if I'm a vegan today, one animal, tomorrow it could be 50.

Ah, averages of course.

My small piece of steak tonight is averaged with the 10 sardines in my lunch tomorrow

Im not dissing u Alex.

Supply and demand. The less people that buy meat and flow on effect. I don't know the numbers but yeah..

People think it's all hippie nonsense, I get that, but things are changing. Pressure on factory farms etc leads to change as public opinion gradually shifts.

I'm not judging others but cannot comprehend the thought process of anyone that can watch that video of pigs being gassed to death, screaming and struggling to escape which was featured in ads last year for the sake of a piece of bacon. Maybe I'm not a real 'man' but that brings me to tears that as a species we can inflict such cruelty and suffering on intelligent creatures.

Maybe in the past it was too difficult etc but it's not a difficult decision nowadays really. I guess we all love with our own consciences and make choices accordingly âº

• Like 1

Are the Japanese perhaps correct in their whaling pursuits? Whales eat millions and billions of plankton each day. Such a tragedy. Should we all change our Facebook pictures to plankton to show solidarity with their ongoing genocide?

On a serious note though, if you want to eat a certain way then good for you. If you think that you are somehow saving the planet and by default me by not eating chicken salt, have a word with yourself.

Not dissing your choices guys, but the world of mass crop farming isn't doing a lot to save the world at the moment.

Fascinating topic, especially when you start comparing the factual beliefs such as not terminating life that many vegans hold as a basis versus the facts of a societal norm such as religion ...... People are often afraid of what they don't know, what they think they can't achieve, what is outside the norm and react accordingly....... Off course others just don't give a rats.

I failed the A POS diet.

The day I can't have a jumbo coffee and f&@k load of chocolate chip bikkies for morning tea there will be trouble, no matter what the diet says and how many plants or animals suffer.Hahaha.

• Like 1

Just a couple of facts for you Mike.

- 4163.953 litres of water

- 20.4117kgs of grain, which is used to feed animals.

- 1 animals life.

Additionally:

- We also growing enough food for 10 billion people, yet we still can’t end world hunger.

- More than 6 million animals are killed for human consumption every hour.

- 3 quarters of the world’s fisheries are either depleted or exploited, including both land and sea fisheries.

I think you're an impressionable young man - but those figure you just posted are a load of bullshit - do you think that each of us who are not vegans are eating a whole cow each day :shy:

just curious, how far do we go on the saving animals bit. can I be a true vegan and set a mouse trap as the vermin have invaded the shed ? slapping that mozzie in summer, swatting that fly. swallowed a bug during my ride on Sunday. surely there is a line for the vegans but where is it drawn. to be clear, not being smart here, just wanting to know how this sort of thing matches up.

What happens to all the animals currently being farmed at present if we all became vegetarian (let along vegan). Are the animals just going to walk free and the canivores are going to let them all be? Does the water and feed they currently eat going to just cease providing the savings that many claim? Is it right for my dog to continue to eat meat or should pets (if allowed) be made to go vegan as well?

The other item not being answered is what happens with all the land that is currently being grazed that is not suitable for cropping or vegetation production?

I guess as more people grow up so disconnected from where their food comes from they start to look at things alot differently to myself. Don't accept the welfare "facts" without being prepared to question them.

What happens to all the animals currently being farmed at present if we all became vegetarian (let along vegan). ÃÂ Are the animals just going to walk free and the canivores are going to let them all be? ÃÂ Does the water and feed they currently eat going to just cease providing the savings that many claim? ÃÂ Is it right for my dog to continue to eat meat or should pets (if allowed) be made to go vegan as well?

ÃÂ

The other item not being answered is what happens with all the land that is currently being grazed that is not suitable for cropping or vegetation production?

ÃÂ

I guess as more people grow up so disconnected from where their food comes from they start to look at things alot differently to myself. ÃÂ Don't accept the welfare "facts" without being prepared to question them.

regarding your first point: I had similar thoughts. What happens if we set all the chickens free... dors the survival instinct take over and they start to eat each other, grow 6 ft tall and start killing us? Do the well fed feral cats and stray dogs become like tigers and wolves? Do our poisonous snakes flourish and become anaconda size? Oh so many questions.... :) Edited by Chookman

We evolved as hunter gatherers - I guess young Alex is just more evolved than me (and many others) I'd like to revisit this subject with him in five years and check if he's still as passionate about it :smile1:

• Like 1

I think you're an impressionable young man - but those figure you just posted are a load of bullshit - do you think that each of us who are not vegans are eating a whole cow each day :shy:

I'm not one for facts and figures either and I learnt that in my first year at university due to companies buying research and making it sway that companies way. You obviously can't believe everything that you read, but at the end of the day you have to make your own judgement.

But Mike Honcho wanted some facts so I provided him with some. I asked him to provide me with some facts and he couldn't provide me with anything. Why? Well I think it's because he had nothing to support himself with.

We evolved as hunter gatherers - I guess young Alex is just more evolved than me (and many others) I'd like to revisit this subject with him in five years and check if he's still as passionate about it :smile1:

If you ask people about hunting their own meat, killing it, skinning it plus whatever else you have to do to get a piece of meat to eat, most of them will reject straight away and say "how disgusting, I couldn't kill an animal." But if someone kills it for me, then yeah I guess that is fine.

I wouldn't mind betting that I will be like this 5 years time still. I know that teaching kids this stuff at school is typically frowned upon, but if I said it in a catholic school where the bible clearly states not to kill animals, I wouldn't mind betting that it would still be frowned up to tell the kids about veganism.

Kids these day are more aware of what is going on around them. There is more interest in politics, terrorism (but only when it's related to people of their own social accord - Paris, Australia, not Pakistan, Afghanistan) and animal cruelty. Most people don't see it, but enter a classroom and kids are talking about it, and asking teachers as well for their opinions.

If you ask people about hunting their own meat, killing it, skinning it plus whatever else you have to do to get a piece of meat to eat, most of them will reject straight away and say "how disgusting, I couldn't kill an animal." But if someone kills it for me, then yeah I guess that is fine.

Hunting includes fishing, and there's a hell of a lot of people still participate in that. I think the issue is more "cute & fluffy, with big brown eyes".

Is being Vegan a religious thing? Are all catholics vegan or vegetarians? Or are they aloud to eat meat as long as they don't kill it? I am not religious in anyway so unsure of the rules associated with being it.

Another question - if an animal kills another animal to survive is that ok?

In regards to Kids being more aware of what is going on around them I beg to differ. Having coached kids/teenagers from an early age, kids know less important stuff than they did when I was a teenager. They only learn from their phones (as stuck in face all the time). Kids don't understand life without comfort today, they have too many luxuries and safety nets. IMO they don't experience hands on stuff, manual stuff which is sad as doing something real with your hands is far more rewarding than creating something on a phone or computer.

I am just posing some ideas and not degrading Alex's position in terms of his diet, I actually am impressed he has his stance on it but outside the animal part he has seen the benefits of his diet for him.

In regards to the stats if you thinking how I am thinking - a 200g steak does take 1 animal to have it. You cannot just go around slicing 200g off a cow without killing it. So your steak is one animal.

In regards to the stats if you thinking how I am thinking - a 200g steak does take 1 animal to have it. You cannot just go around slicing 200g off a cow without killing it. So your steak is one animal.

Well practically, you would inverse it to say that one animal provides hundreds (perhaps thousands) of 200g steaks so feeds many, many people. It's not like someone kills a cow, eats a 200g steaks and throws the rest away.

Is being Vegan a religious thing? Are all catholics vegan or vegetarians? Or are they aloud to eat meat as long as they don't kill it? I am not religious in anyway so unsure of the rules associated with being it.

Another question - if an animal kills another animal to survive is that ok?

In regards to Kids being more aware of what is going on around them I beg to differ. Having coached kids/teenagers from an early age, kids know less important stuff than they did when I was a teenager. They only learn from their phones (as stuck in face all the time). Kids don't understand life without comfort today, they have too many luxuries and safety nets. IMO they don't experience hands on stuff, manual stuff which is sad as doing something real with your hands is far more rewarding than creating something on a phone or computer.

I am just posing some ideas and not degrading Alex's position in terms of his diet, I actually am impressed he has his stance on it but outside the animal part he has seen the benefits of his diet for him.

Kids are still learning from their electronic devices. Having access to facebook, twitter, instagram and just having the internet at their finger tips allows for kids to be more aware of what is actually happening in the world. Sure, some kids may not be benefiting from electronic devices in this way, but a lot are. As teachers we use smart boards, ipads, class laptops each and every lesson. Sure we do use pieces of paper and pens, but most classroom based activities are based of electronic devices. All textbooks and other resources are there at the click of a button. I still prefer to have a physical textbook in front of me, so I can highlight, scribble notes in their for assignments and exams, but I still use a laptop for everything else.

Â

Well practically, you would inverse it to say that one animal provides hundreds (perhaps thousands) of 200g steaks so feeds many, many people. It's not like someone kills a cow, eats a 200g steaks and throws the rest away.

Yeah didnt mean it that way i meant it into reference to some other comments. Should have quoted it.

But you are right. Be interesting to know how many feeds one animal gives.

I only ever eat 100g of meat/chicken in one meal but assume others eat more.

Yeah didnt mean it that way i meant it into reference to some other comments. Should have quoted it.

But you are right. Be interesting to know how many feeds one animal gives.

I only ever eat 100g of meat/chicken in one meal but assume others eat more.

You would also have to take into account the other by products of animals such as milk, certain protein powders, oyster sauce, fish sauce and other ingredients that are added to things to give them taste. The list obviously goes on. It's an average of course though.

Interesting thread, I'm not interested in going Vegan. I like eggs too much! I have been reducing how much meat I eat though, and the more plants I eat the more I feel like trying Vego for a couple months.

The main driver for me is how factory farming methods results in animals not being treated humanely. I grew up on a farm in the days when everything was "free range" and we used to kill a couple sheep a week and a steer a couple of times a year. Might seem hypocritical but up until when those animals died (very quickly and humanely) they lived a good life. Same cant be said of the way Chicken, Beef, Lamb is produced these days. Makes me feel bad so I eat less meat and try to make sure its come straight from the farm.

Ah **** it.

Humans are three problem.

Humans are also meat.

Let's kill two birds with one stone.

Eat humans and kill the problem.

Can someone please hand me my nobel prize for ending world hunger, saving the animals and making sure we contribute less towards global warming and natural resource production.

:lol:

Edited by hiltz

What happens to all the animals currently being farmed at present if we all became vegetarian (let along vegan). Â Are the animals just going to walk free and the canivores are going to let them all be? Â

Â

No, like Mike Baird with his greyhound ban in NSW, once you close an industry the products of that industry would be exterminated, killed, murdered, just for nothing as they would become a cost with no return.

You getting all this Oompa ?

FM

I am, best thread on here in ages. Like always, there will be people that have there fun or are intolerant to others view points but it's been very informative.

Don't think I have the discipline to do it though but it has been a good read.

• Like 1

Â

Think of all the cows we could save by doing Japanese style whale research...

I wonder if Niseko can weigh in on this?

just curious, how far do we go on the saving animals bit. can I be a true vegan and set a mouse trap as the vermin have invaded the shed ? slapping that mozzie in summer, swatting that fly. swallowed a bug during my ride on Sunday. surely there is a line for the vegans but where is it drawn. to be clear, not being smart here, just wanting to know how this sort of thing matches up.

Yep, I wonder the same thing, which leads to the question of why we value some animals over another.

We are all upset over the mass killing of dolphins but does anybody care when we call an exterminator to spray an ant's nest? Is the life of a cockroach equal to the life of a lion? Is the life of a maggot less important than a kangaroo?

Interesting thread, I'm not interested in going Vegan. I like eggs too much! I have been reducing how much meat I eat though, and the more plants I eat the more I feel like trying Vego for a couple months.

The main driver for me is how factory farming methods results in animals not being treated humanely. I grew up on a farm in the days when everything was "free range" and we used to kill a couple sheep a week and a steer a couple of times a year. Might seem hypocritical but up until when those animals died (very quickly and humanely) they lived a good life. Same cant be said of the way Chicken, Beef, Lamb is produced these days. Makes me feel bad so I eat less meat and try to make sure its come straight from the farm.

Can only speak from experience with beef, on what I have seen on a farm. From some extra reading, 2-3% of Australian cattle are in a feedlot. Outdoors in shade and grain fed. The rest are pasture fed. Most are sent to a feedlot for 90 days max to finish them on grain before slaughter.

Yep, I wonder the same thing, which leads to the question of why we value some animals over another.

We are all upset over the mass killing of dolphins but does anybody care when we call an exterminator to spray an ant's nest? Is the life of a cockroach equal to the life of a lion? Is the life of a maggot less important than a kangaroo?

That's our unconscious bias creeping in. We do evolve though, and it's how we adapt to change, wether we are prisoners to it and shrink or embrace it and grow and off course you can embrace it and shrink/ go backwards. I've always been a fan of large change, not small and the old Keating line of lobbing a grenade in occasionally to get things going.

Change is constant, it's just people's evolution that moves at a different rate. Whilst we all should consider others, so often we get caught up in our own view on the world, it would have been fairly normal to have horses in parts of Sydney 60 years ago, it's not so today. I suspect a a whale getting killed 150 years ago wouldn't have blinked an eyelid in society compared to today. It becomes interesting when you start to consider others views and why they conclude what they do, wether a greenie, a religious person or just an honest toiler trying to make a living and vegans are no different. We like to label and life is way more complicated than that. We like to poke as evidenced in this thread as its a bit of fun but it also hides our own inadequacies.

Anyway, ramble over, work to do, but I love this shortened clip, take the time. It's a good ethos and some nice lessons and when considering others values, it's worth a thought.

https://youtu.be/pfw2Qf1VfJo

Edited by Oompa Loompa

Can only speak from experience with beef, on what I have seen on a farm. From some extra reading, 2-3% of Australian cattle are in a feedlot. Outdoors in shade and grain fed. The rest are pasture fed. Most are sent to a feedlot for 90 days max to finish them on grain before slaughter.

2-3% of the Australian herd in a feedlot at any one time. 40% of the herd goes through feedlots and 80% of supermarket meat has come from a feedlot.

The fact that so much supermarket meat is from feedlots says it all for me really.

There are good and bad feedlots.

Outdoors in shade and grain fed sounds a little like what the chicken farmers say about "free range." Whoever it rains it gets pretty dire in a feedlot.

Edited by deadgoose

Anyway, ramble over, work to do, but I love this shortened clip, take the time. It's a good ethos and some nice lessons and when considering others values, it's worth a thought.

https://youtu.be/pfw2Qf1VfJo

I think he pinched that concept from what is perhaps my favourite movie - American Beauty.

It's good.

Don't think I have the discipline to do it though but it has been a good read

Why would you change what is obviously working for you now - a few small changes may improve your lot - but a radical change is never going to work for long :shutup:

I wonder what Alex's mum and dad think of his venture into veganism - I wonder what their diet is like - the diet he was raised on :shy:

Is the life of a cockroach equal to the life of a lion? Is the life of a maggot less important than a kangaroo?

Man, we're getting into some serious shit now :shocking:

First I learn a while ago that AP uses power tools.

Now I'm reading him as saying the well-being of cockroaches isn't high on his agenda.

So he's actually quite normal?