UL_triathlon

Is Melbourne good for triathlon?

Hi Guys

I'm originally from Denmark but have lived in Sydney for 6 months - quit like it here, just a nightmare biking arround which I really like to do alot of hours a week. Haven't been to Melbourne, but might make a move in the future or atleast swing by for a few weeks.

I heard Melbourne is alot better is this true? More (or any) critiriums?, less traffic? More enclosed bike Paths? Etc. If any of you guys know both cities and have a good understanding on how they compare, I would really appriciate your thoughs:)'

Everyone from Sydney thinks Sydney is best, everyone from Melbourne thinks Melbourne is best.

Never ridden in Sydney. As for Melbourne, depends where you live. In the Bayside area and all the way up the Mornington Peninsula is great. As you get further away from the bay there tends to be less cyclists and less cycle friendly roads.

Once you get out into the hills (Dandenongs, Kinglake, Mt Donna Buang, etc) it is also great. But that is kind of out of Melbourne.

Thanks Rob Appriciate it!

And Thanks guys, as an foreinger however, it pretty much comes down to Melbourne or Sydney bc of job opportunities. I have been in Brisbane and Gold Coast a few weeks (loved training in Gold Coast)

Sunshine Coast. Find a different job.

Edited by AA7
  • Like 1

Sunshine Coast. Find a different job.

Agree

Melb ain't good for anything , except a good view in the Rear view mirror

Cheers

Ivp

• Like 2

As someone who moved from Sydney (17yrs) to Melb (6yrs) I think it's much more suited to cycling and the bay swimming is excellent that isn't available everywhere in Sydney. ie manly dam or penrith for flat water swims.

There are races here each weekend if not more.

Bike racing everyday of the week. Crazy amounts of running events too.

I do miss beach swim events like Sydney has. They swim in wetsuits down here all the time when it's not needed during summer. softcocks

So to answer your question, I think it's much more suiting to Triathlons than Sydney.

Gee your Kurnell series used to be 5 races. now it's only 2. Pretty lame.

As another jonny foreinger who has lived in both (Syd 5yrs Mel 7yrs) I would say Melbourne wins hands down.

Melbourne is easier to get around both by car and bike and generally has a nicer vibe - for me. I still miss the beaches in Sydney and the slightly warmer winters but its still a lot better than "back home" so I can't really complain.

The riding out Kinglake way is awesome, so may small roads to explore including some great gravel roads if you need a shot of G. Or if you are feeling soft you can always head down beach road with everyone else.

Bike paths a also good, I've got a number of routes to work including one along the yarra which will get me there with maybe 500m on the road - but again I guess that depends on where you choose to live

Give me Melbourne over Sydney any day but give me Adelaide over any other place in this country any day. But honestly, we have family in Brighton and Toorak and I've had no problem riding around there or even commuting to the city. The vibe of the place is also quite catchy as well. The weather is another story though and I think a fair few people will acknowledge that as well.

• Like 2

+1 for Adelaide. Best lifestyle of any Australian Capital. Far less conjestion. Awesome food. Great hills for cycling and trail running within a stones throw of the the CBD. Head a short distance in the other direction and you have the beach.

I've lived in both Melbourne & Sydney. Day to day is just a hassle in comparison.

Oh yeah, you can also get a nice place to live in a top location for a fraction of the cost of Melb/Syd/Perth.

• Like 1

As others said if you enjoy riding/triathlon and have options go the Queensland.

Melbourne is shit, too much traffic and wanker drivers. Weather is crap. Everything is expensive.

Give me Melbourne over Sydney any day but give me Adelaide over any other place in this country any day. But honestly, we have family in Brighton and Toorak and I've had no problem riding around there or even commuting to the city. The vibe of the place is also quite catchy as well. The weather is another story though and I think a fair few people will acknowledge that as well.

Melbourne does beat Sydney. Family in Brighton and Toorak? $$$$$

I'm looking at moving up to the Gold Coast in the next year or two. Anyone know what its like up there for riding etc? One side of the hwy has the beach, the other the hinterland...

I've ridden at both (though only for short periods) and I'd say Melbourne is better than Sydney, BUT, neither is good. Best training location I've been in is GC, followed by where I am now, near Samford. I suppose there are areas outside Sydney & Melbourne similar to my current location, but probably a lot further out than 27km.

Sydney is a big area, whereabouts do you live?

If there is scope for you to move suburbs I think you will find as good if not better training infrastructure than any of the places mentioned above.

As others said if you enjoy riding/triathlon and have options go the Queensland.

Melbourne is shit, too much traffic and wanker drivers. Weather is crap. Everything is expensive.

Wow that's extremely negative. Not the best way to live.

• Like 2

Wow that's extremely negative. Not the best way to live.

FB makes me look like happy jack :-)

FB makes me look like happy jack :-)

You're only so happy because you have more toys than anyone on this site.

Don't go to noosa. It's total crap up here. That's why pros would not be seen dead here.

Except for

Pete Jacobs

Luke Mckenzie

Jan Frodo (part time)

Mirinda Carfare (part time) and her hubby.... Forgot his name.

Belinda Granger

Greg and Laura Bennett

It's truly awful.

When I moved from Auckland to Sydney (and back, and going back again). Sydney is much better than Auckland for training. I lived in St Ives and the National parks were real close for great car free riding, the northern beaches was a great loop. The climate was great, and motorists were good.

Yes there were places you didn't ride (Roseville bridge), and you picked your times.

There were lots of pools open all year and not crowded, the sea pools were great.

NSTC had regular training sessions and there were plenty of races around

When I moved from Auckland to Sydney (and back, and going back again). Sydney is much better than Auckland for training. I lived in St Ives and the National parks were real close for great car free riding, the northern beaches was a great loop. The climate was great, and motorists were good.

Yes there were places you didn't ride (Roseville bridge), and you picked your times.

There were lots of pools open all year and not crowded, the sea pools were great.

NSTC had regular training sessions and there were plenty of races around

Yup Northern Beaches and Upper North Shore are all excellent areas for all 3 sports.

Melbourne does beat Sydney. Family in Brighton and Toorak? $$$$$

I honestly wouldn't have a clue what the wealthy suburbs are of Melbourne. I just head down there and visit them from time to time. But I guess our both sides of our family are very good with money. We know when to spend it and how to spend it and I think it's been passed onto myself and my 5 other siblings.

Don't go to noosa. It's total crap up here. That's why pros would not be seen dead here.

Except for

Pete Jacobs

Luke Mckenzie

Jan Frodo (part time)

Belinda Granger

Greg and Laura Bennett

It's truly awful.

Mel Hauschildt

Mr Carfrae? She pays the bills anyway ;)

If there is scope for you to move suburbs I think you will find as good if not better training infrastructure than any of the places mentioned above.

I´m in Mosman, so I do have some hills nearby ;). - I know going north towards west head, akuna bay etc is allright early and with a group, but damn would I love living in a place in AU where that would be posible all day.

Denmark with the climate of Australia would be cycling heaven btw :shock:

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

I´m in Mosman, so I do have some hills nearby ;). - I know going north towards west head, akuna bay etc is allright early and with a group, but damn would I love living in a place in AU where that would be posible all day.

Denmark with the climate of Australia would be cycling heaven btw :shock:

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Spent the day on the road in Syd yesterday, Melbourne we DO NOT have a traffic issue!

Except for

Pete Jacobs

Luke Mckenzie

Jan Frodo (part time)

Belinda Granger

Greg and Laura Bennett

It's truly awful.

Correct

It's really crap there , I can't stand it . Espually along the river at nooooosaville

• Like 1

I've lived, trained and raced in most of the places people are suggesting is best. The best place is where you are right now if all you family and support systems are there. If I had my choice I'd spend the winter months training on the Sunshine Coast and the summer months training and racing in and around Melbourne. That's because I like to compete often. Something that is not on offer in most other places.

I also find there's more options for cycling in Melbourne than Sydney or Brisbsne however, Adelaide trumps all of them if you're looking for a cycle training nirvana.

If I was wanting to train for an ironman in March, April or June, I'd live in Adelaide as it offers the best riding and running venues. The Adelaide hills are brilliant and there's always someone to train with. BTW its the chosen training location for long time age group legend Kevin Ferguson.

Sydney offers a great beach swimming culture as Pete has said. Unfortunately i have only managed to compete in a handful of those events. It's on my list to do more. I don't like sydeney so roads or traffic and am amazed people ride bikes there.

As a Queenslander who has lived interstate for a while, I fully appreciate the mild winters up north but also know the wet season is shit to deal with. A long hot dry summer down south presents so much more options for training and racing.

It's really hard to beat Geelong as a training town. All the hills, trails and swimming (pool and sea) you could ever want. No traffic issues, good food, cheaper living than Melbs. Winter is a little crappy but it's pretty mild compared to Europe.

Edited by The Customer

It's really hard to beat Geelong as a training town. All the hills, trails and swimming (pool and sea) you could ever want. No traffic issues, good food, cheaper living than Melbs. Winter is a little crappy but it's pretty mild compared to Europe.

add in with ford going you will have the town to yourself soon

Except for

Pete Jacobs

Luke Mckenzie

Jan Frodo (part time)

Belinda Granger

Greg and Laura Bennett

It's truly awful.

Doesn't transitions favourite Insta-athlete also inhabit the sunny coast?

Well don't move to Melbourne for the weather - it'll drive you nuts.

Perth has the best tri training climate. (but shocking drivers - so riding is a pain).

Weather in Melbourne is ideal, it's not overly cold to stop you riding and really makes you appreciate the warm summer. I ride all year round with ease. Winter miles equal summer smiles.

I'm the first to admit i'm a long way from being hardcore when it comes to training in the cold, but I thought Melbourne winters sucked when I lived there. They were grey, miserable and cold.... and went from February to November. I struggled to do much training outdoors. That said, summer was pretty good, but didn't last long enough. Even the mid to high 30 degree days were usually ok to train in since humidity was usually pretty low.

Anyone who thinks Melbourne winters are bad have not lived. I moved here from Queensland, near Toowoomba where the winters were alot worse than any of the 16 Melbourne winters I have lived through this far.

If you're actually training, you only need one layer more than you would have in Summer.

• Like 1

Melbourne winters are like Melbourne summers, there are rarely more than a dozen extreme days.

Haha, yep, not saying I'd enjoy training in a Toowoomba winter either. I know it can be freezing, but at least the sun's usually out and that was the main mental hurdle for me in Melbourne.

Weather in Melbourne is ideal, it's not overly cold to stop you riding and really makes you appreciate the warm summer. I ride all year round with ease. Winter miles equal summer smiles.

Melbourne winters are like Melbourne summers, there are rarely more than a dozen extreme days.

Anyone who thinks Melbourne winters are bad have not lived. I moved here from Queensland, near Toowoomba where the winters were alot worse than any of the 16 Melbourne winters I have lived through this far.

If you're actually training, you only need one layer more than you would have in Summer.

To quote the great John McEnroe

YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS

Cheers

Ivp

Agree with you.

I've never known Melbourne winters to go from February to November.

Cotton eyes, Toowoomba winters are shite. I've never ever seen fog as think as they get in Toowoomba. The westerly winds rival the wind here in Melbourne.

But I did learn to ride hills in Toowoomba. We lived near the top of the Range so riding a bike anywhere meant riding up hill to get home.

Was pea soup this morning, and in the end a beautiful day.