ozzybuds

IMWA 2016

Is it too early for a thread on this?

I'm registered, flights, accommodation & car hire booked. Wife & kids are coming with me.

Getting so excited that I might start to think about going for a swim at some stage.

Just wondering which other Trannies are planning on having a crack this year? Will there be a Beer Mile? Do any Busso veterans have some good tips for both racing the event and hanging around the area during IM week?

• Like 1

I will be there.

Race tips:

Swim - make sure that you can swim faster than the sharks.

Bike - get used to riding in the aero position, the course is dead flat.

Busselton is a major holiday destination for families during the school holidays so there is lots around for your kids to do. The underwater observatory is good at the end of the Jetty, Simmo's icecream is the best in the world, the surf is fantastic at Margaret River and Yallingup, the mazes at Margaret River are fun, when my kids were little they loved going to the Country Life Farm.

• Like 1

Do any Busso veterans have some good tips for both racing the event and hanging around the area during IM week?

Just drive around the Margaret River region and stop whenever you want - chocolate/wine/beach/whatever.

We did the Cape Naturaliste light house tour, only the 2 of us with the guide.

Bloody windy up top, but worth it I reckon.

The tours stop relatively early though.

Most of the beach accommodation @ Busso is close to nothing.

Hope for a low fly year, or you won't be able to stand on the beach without getting carried away by the buggers.

We went here http://www.thedeckmarina.com.au/ for lunch one day, was decent food (4 years ago)and a nice spot.

Haven't raced recently and most likely will do WA again.

Just looking at the website and the course and schedule a few observations:

• Whilst I haven't done the 2 lapper, I've done 3 different versions of a 3 lapper and it's not too different, but I remember it dead flat with the exception of a minor rise on the out and back parallel to the beach however the profile indicates more than dead flat i.e a 25m in lowest point to highest point - that surprises. I would have thought 5m or 10m at a pinch max.
  • Has the Welcome dinner been scrapped. It just has a 5.30-6.30 Athlete Welcome and director update (doesn't say dinner which was 6.00-8.00 like previous year Athlete guide which is still there. Not that it matters as the meals were slop.
  • Similarly, the Awards dinner seems to have moved to the arvo. Not that it bothered me though as if I do go I'll be gone before then.

Cheers

Not doing the full, but doing the half which is on the same day and it starts at 5.30 so we'll be done way before lunch. Lots to do in and around Busso:

reptile farm

ice-cream factory - has good playground for kids and trail walk

ngilgi cave

various wineries and breweries

train ride on busso jetty and aquarium

water park

• Like 1

Do the family a favour and buy them some mosquito nets. And I ain't kidding. Flies are shocking over there for about 3 weeks a year and Ironman is smack bang in the middle.

In 2013...... even a few dudes wore a fly net during the marathon!

Thanks for tips guys. Look forward to seeing you all in December.

Got me worried about flies now.......

I assume the beer mile will be on. I've already got my outfit sorted :)

Missus and myself are registered... See ya on the roads training in the coming months :)

I'll be doing all my bike training indoors. Will be keen to join you for the odd long run day though. Are you doing the Adelaide Marathon this weekend?

Im tossing up between Busso and NZ... im a definite maybe

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

If you've done one goto the other.

IMNZ is excellent. And no flies or chance of a 40c day.

If you've done one goto the other.

IMNZ is excellent. And no flies or chance of a 40c day.

If i win powerball or sell a kidney i may do both

I'll be doing all my bike training indoors. Will be keen to join you for the odd long run day though. Are you doing the Adelaide Marathon this weekend?

indoors??? why??? so far, the weekend riding has been acceptable in winter...

I usually run from my home (Brooklyn Park) to West Beach, from West Beach, I could head south to Glenelg and beyond, or north to Grange and beyond... I doubt I'll be able to keep up with an ultra marathoner tho...

Will there be a Beer Mile?

What a ridiculous question.

I assume the beer mile will be on. I've already got my outfit sorted :)

Good man.

• Like 1

Most of the beach accommodation @ Busso is close to nothing.

Really? I just rang up to book a cabin in a Caravan Park $360 per night with a min stay of four nights.

Do you work for the ABS? Your IT skillz need work.

8-12th of December

Big 4 Beachlands - Jaccuzi bungalow 4 nights $1220

Big 4 Beachlands - Spa villa 4 nights $960

Big 4 Beachalnds - Studio cabin $746

RAC Busselton Holiday Park - Studio triple $654

If it's just you and you're leaving the family at home then you can find stuff much cheaper too.

Should have said not close to anything.

The group of Beach resorts on the Western end of town are not really walking distance to anything else useful.

Do you work for the ABS? Your IT skillz need work.

8-12th of December

Big 4 Beachlands - Jaccuzi bungalow 4 nights $1220

Big 4 Beachlands - Spa villa 4 nights $960

Big 4 Beachalnds - Studio cabin $746

RAC Busselton Holiday Park - Studio triple $654

If it's just you and you're leaving the family at home then you can find stuff much cheaper too.

Nope, I rang Beachland & they quoted me the price & what was available.

$360 was the cheaper of the two options. The other was $460 with min of four nights.

It would be a family of three travelling.

Actually I think it was $480 a night but I only have the details at work.

For the record I also stayed in these units in 2009 & calling them deluxe is a joke.

Tent, Kookaburra.. $60 or something a night and 20 metres from transition.

We stayed in tents on family holidays as kids, didn't kill us.. can't really expext to snag bargain accommodation in a resort town on their biggest weekend of the year

Tbh I've stayed in all sorts of accom down there and if you didn't book a year ago it's too late. Go budget and have a grand spending money with the fam

Nope, I rang Beachland & they quoted me the price & what was available.

$360 was the cheaper of the two options. The other was $460 with min of four nights.

It would be a family of three travelling.

More likely it is cheaper after the triathletes have left town. Race is on December 4th this year I think.

Kookaburra caravan park

Leased council Park but really well run, friendly and close to everything.

Not so sure about that Turtle. My parents stayed there last year and said they had some really weird neighbours.

Not so sure about that Turtle. My parents stayed there last year and said they had some really weird neighbours.

True, theres usually one that brings down the tone of the place. But they usually dont turn up for an encore

I always stay at the Kookaburra, about $25 for a powered site. It is over the road from transition.

If you are bringing the family consider Beachlands and Mandalay. Both are more expensive and out of town. However they have plenty for the kids to do, particularly Mandalay.

http://www.mandalayresort.com.au/

https://www.big4.com.au/caravan-parks/wa/south-west/beachlands-holiday-park

• Like 1

For the record I also stayed in these units in 2009 & calling them deluxe is a joke.

I think that could be said for most accom around busso

Way over priced for what it is, even on the biggest weekend of the year

Cheers

Ivp

I think that could be said for most accom around busso

Way over priced for what it is, even on the biggest weekend of the year

Cheers

Ivp

IMWA wouldn't even be in the top 10 busiest weekends in Busso. School holidays, jetty swim weekend, Busso 70.3, schoolies are all busier than IMWA. Late November through to March is high season in Busso and all of the accommodation is expensive.

I am back for another crack, Currently 8kg heavier than laast time (and have a horible feeling it is with a lower ftp)

At least it is flat, and I have lots of practice walking :D

I am back for another crack, Currently 8kg heavier than laast time (and have a horible feeling it is with a lower ftp)

At least it is flat, and I have lots of practice walking :D

Heaps of time! Can't be at "race weight" with peak ftp 12mths of the year!

Heaps of time! Can't be at "race weight" with peak ftp 12mths of the year!

Your right

Everyear im getting fatter and my FTP keeps going south

Not sure if that's a good thing

Your right

Everyear im getting fatter and my FTP keeps going south

Not sure if that's a good thing

Train heavy, makes you strong....well, that's what i tell myself anyway [emoji13]

The beach accommodation is up to 7 km from transition linked by a beach bike path to town. Maybe try Jetty chalets - basic, clean and across road from transition. Busselton beach resort is 4 km marina end of town. If it was me and I was having to pay premium anyway then head for Aqua or Mandalay if you have kids. As for flys it's luck of the draw if they release the dung beetles at the right time. Maybe I'm used to it but I haven't noticed them the last few years!!

The beach accommodation is up to 7 km from transition linked by a beach bike path to town. Maybe try Jetty chalets - basic, clean and across road from transition. Busselton beach resort is 4 km marina end of town. If it was me and I was having to pay premium anyway then head for Aqua or Mandalay if you have kids. As for flys it's luck of the draw if they release the dung beetles at the right time. Maybe I'm used to it but I haven't noticed them the last few years!!

We're staying in Mandalay and yeah the flies haven't been present the last few years.