Sign in to follow this  
japay1

Training rut

Hi guys,

So this year I've gotten into a bit of a training rut, and my training has been steadily declining, until I imagine I might get to a point where I don't train.

I'm a medical student, and this year particularly I'm finding it incredibly difficult to fit into training.

Any advice from someone with a very hectic schedule?

I've always had the motivation, but now I'm prioritizing everything else ahead....

Write up a plan with available slots for training and other priorities and do your best to stick to it. It must be flexible enough that if a higher priority comes in the session can be moved. Highlight the key sessions that cannot be missed and swap them out where needed for the non key sessions.

You will usually find that with increased fitness comes greater motivation.

Good luck with your studies.

Cheers

NSF

If training is becoming a chore, mix it up, if you swim/bike solo join a squad, or switch from pool to the ocean. Change where and how you run, instead of pounding the pavement, do some trail running, do some interval work on the track and as chookman said, MTB - a lot of fun + a good workout. But don't plod along thinking you'll miraculous get out of the rut you're in, it won't happen.

Dont beat yourself up about not training. Study hard and fit in training when you can. I find the most enjoyable training is done on the spur of the moment when time becomes available

We want the best doctors looking after our broken bones, sore bodies and when we are unwell!

• Like 3

Reckon adjust expectations and just do care and maintenance training in semester when study is at a peak, e.g. 2-3 runs a week - and enjoy them - accepting that's all you really have time for given priorities, and then increase it over summer. Some super men and women manage to do it all, but not most.

What race distance are you training for? I was trying to juggle full time shift work, part time postgraduate study, a 50min commute to work and train for IM...it didn't happen. It became a chore, something my heart wasn't in and I ended up wasting $900 worth of IM entry (initially IMNZ then transferred to IMOZ and didn't do either). Go easy on yourself. If you're young triathlon will always be there but establishing yourself as a good med student/jnr doctor only happens once. Maybe accept that you'll only race sprint or 10k runs. Like the others have said, schedule your priorities then schedule training into your spare slots. prioritise your training...bang for buck so to speak. Make sure there's space in your schedule for that unexpected study session. What year med are you? Uni years or clinical years?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Just put it all away for a while.

After an IM in 2014 I felt mentally exhausted. I'd had a pretty big few years of tris, and I achieved the goal I had set myself for that day in what was a really tough race for me. Felt like I kicked, scratched and clawed my way through the race to achieve my goal, and post-race I could barely even look at my bike or put a pair of runners on. So I didn't. I just surfed and tried to maintain a reasonably healthy lifestyle, and it would be 14 months until I got back on my bike. But when I finally got back into it, I was as motivated as ever, and still am.

Sometimes we just need to walk away for a while.

I've always had the motivation, but now I'm prioritizing everything else ahead....

Agree with the others that your career is probably more important than triathlon at the moment, and even you yourself admit that you have other priorities that you are putting in front of training, which is good.

Throw the regular 'training schedule' out the window and just do what you can when you can and enjoy it. That's all I've ever done for the past 22 years and it's worked so far!

I seem to cram a fair bit into this busy little life!