Suburban Kid

How much difference does a quality bike make?

I would also suggest getting worse at swimming :naughty: . I'm an average cyclist but get to spend all day overtaking people as I'm BoP heading into to T1. I'm sure that is more enjoyable than being a fish who has to watch people fly by for the rest of the race.

• Like 2

After reading all the posts - it seems Suburban Kid needs to train for the event - nothing wrong with his bike - he's entering events and seems to be doing any old thing he can fit in - with the right plan things could be so different on the same bike

I stuck to a plan for Cairns IM and still went pretty average for the bike leg. Im getting a plan for my next HIM which should help. Until the plan starts (2 weeks) im just mixing things up. Is there a particular reason why the workout I selected is so wrong?

40 mins at threshold and above (unlikely he is anerobic for 40 minutes) should help build his engine so long as there is some other riding in there as well during the week.

Pretty cold, 2 to three hour rides should take care of things on a saturday until he gets closer to the main event

The workout was called Anaerobic but it was just essentially hard interval training

I've ridden a rental road bike (giant), box wheel and no tri bars faster than that an ironman. It's not the bike - it's you

At your level id say a super bike may give 5 minutes, slim outside 10 at the most. Your just not a strong rider

Completely agree. Need to keep working on the engine

I stuck to a plan for Cairns IM and still went pretty average for the bike leg. Im getting a plan for my next HIM which should help. Until the plan starts (2 weeks) im just mixing things up. Is there a particular reason why the workout I selected is so wrong?

From my perspective as a casual reader of this thread I think people are mainly talking about what things to do to get the best bang for your buck. There'll be some level of training effect from pretty much any session, but that particular workout may just be more beneficial to you in a different phase of training. That said, if you're in between race specific training blocks, I reckon it's a great time to just have some fun. That might be racing your mates, chasing strava segments, getting out on the MTB, or doing a killer interval session. Who cares. For me, that helps me keep my enjoyment/motivation levels up. Then when you're 'x'months out from a target race get a good training plan and stick to the training phases and sessions.

• Like 4

546 might be really good, if he runs 315 off that. If he runs 5 hours not so good, it's not a KQ bike time but if it is enough to support a 3:30 or better run, then not bad.

The bike looks alright to me

Does a quality bike with good components really make that much of a difference?

I love these discussions... Yes, but No!

I could only wish that my bike was as good as yours! Just keep clocking up the K's, for most people it takes 2 to 3 years of consistent training to get your best results on the bike. Sure there are some training programs that are better or more specific than others but none of them will trump consistency if you're prepared to put in the effort.

As per all the advice on this site, I'd be listening to it all and taking the bits out that work for you, probably paying a bit more attention to those who have actually achieved the results you're after. Good luck!

• Like 2

As per all the advice on this site, I'd be listening to it all and taking the bits out that work for you, probably paying a bit more attention to those who have actually achieved the results you're after. Good luck!

That's sound advice - you can't go too wrong following people who are already successful at what you want to do - don't be shy to ask people what they have achieved :smile1:

A good bike fit, solid training program, consistent training, good diet, core work, stretching & sleep will give you more improvement then any new bike ever will.

My Scott TT cost about $10k when I got it. My next bike will be less then $5k. I would rather spend the money on PT, massage, coaching, travel, quality nutrition & race entry.

• Like 2

A good bike fit, solid training program, consistent training, good diet, core work, stretching & sleep will give you more improvement then any new bike ever will.

My Scott TT cost about $10k when I got it. My next bike will be less then $5k. I would rather spend the money on PT, massage, coaching, travel, quality nutrition & race entry.

But I can't run for shit & my fastest IM is 11:55 so probs best not to listen to me.

• Like 2

Exactly...

It's all good advice B@W.

FWIW both of your bits of advice above are spot on... Especially if one of the things he's trying to achieve is getting the best bang for buck that he can, and with all your overseas races nobody can argue that you don't achieve that!

• Like 1

I may have missed it, but what exactly are you hoping for SK? Will a 5:30 with the ability to run how you think you should make you happy, or are you after a 5:00? This will determine the path you go down wrt where you spend your money and the program you need.

As much as it pains me to say it. You don't need a new bike.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

This bike with race wheels cost me about $3.5K 7yrs ago. I sold it for $1K in 2014 thinking I couldn't ride anymore.

FSA0006.jpg

This is my daughters bike which cost about $800 7yrs ago. Not an atom of carbon in sight, but I can't tell the difference - in fact I really enjoy riding it as it fits me better (50cm instead of 54cm). She better not want her bike back :shy:

sub-road-zero-1-pearl-white.jpg

I

• Like 1

This bike with race wheels cost me about $3.5K 7yrs ago. I sold it for $1K in 2014 thinking I couldn't ride anymore.

FSA0006.jpg

This is my daughters bike which cost about $800 7yrs ago. Not an atom of carbon in sight, but I can't tell the difference - in fact I really enjoy riding it as it fits me better (50cm instead of 54cm). She better not want her bike back :shy:

sub-road-zero-1-pearl-white.jpg

I

Wow

If a 50 fits you well what where u doing riding a 54???

Big difference

• Like 1

Wow

If a 50 fits you well what where u doing riding a 54???

Big difference

Exactly!

The first bike I was sold by the LBS was a 55 then a 57! Then another bike shop sold me a 54 (he was initially thinking a 56).

By then I'd learned a bit about bike fit myself (and that bike shops will seel you anything to get it off their floor) and bought a P3 through Ebay which was a 51 and fit like a glove.

And now I'm riding the Subzero 50, which was my wifes first bike then we passed it on to our daughter when she was about 16.

• Like 1

At least we now know where the user name 'Comfortably Numb' comes from!!

First time I was fitted for a road bike was at the end of high school, was told off the shelf fitted me fine, and found out 8 years ago it was a 60cm.

• Like 1

The first bike I was sold by the LBS was a 55 then a 57! Then another bike shop sold me a 54 (he was initially thinking a 56).

By then I'd learned a bit about bike fit myself (and that bike shops will seel you anything to get it off their floor) and bought a P3 through Ebay which was a 51 and fit like a glove.

Same scenario happened here as well, knew which first new bike I wanted to get in this caper, the bike shop had an XL on the floor and low and behold I "fitted" it. After 4 years of never feeling quite comfortable, sold it and went to a 55cm frame (ie Large) and the comfort, speed and endurance has gone in leaps and bounds. I'm also on an older bike now as well

I suppose I was just lucky that I bought my first 2 real bikes from one of the most pedantic cyclist/frame builders I have ever known. Thanks Darrell. :)

This bike is for sale - it has six Kona stickers on it - it's only ever been used as a race bike (separate training bike) a bargain at $1,400.00 - the wheels are worth that much - it was only ever used by an elderly man who only rode it to church on Sundays :smile1:

al.png

• Like 1

This bike is for sale - it has six Kona stickers on it - it's only ever been used as a race bike (separate training bike) a bargain at $1,400.00 - the wheels are worth that much - it was only ever used by an elderly man who only rode it to church on Sundays :smile1:

al.png

Is that church at Hawi?

al.png

I told you triathlon is a religion :lol:

I have a wealthy friend who bought himself a new TT bike - and sold his Cervelo P2 to me at a good price ( a bit of horse trading) - I would have kept riding the Azzurri until it fell apart under me - I come from an era where we wore things out :smile1:

The Azzurri is in good shape - maintained well - the Cervelo is set up a little higher at the front and probably suits an older back better - I'm not into having the latest, most expensive bike out there, I've beaten a lot of them - bikes are important, but legs are more important :smartarse:

• Like 3

Yep - ive had a professional bike fit. Went a little more aggressive by dropping the stem one spacer. We discussed being able to run off the bike and that was fine. It must be something im doing then. Whether it be engine or power & strength

S Kid, your assessment in bike set up is correct for a flat course. For an undulating course like Cairns you would do better to keep that spacer in. Until you become a strong cyclist, there's no point in riding an aggressive position on an undulating course.

S Kid, your assessment in bike set up is correct for a flat course. For an undulating course like Cairns you would do better to keep that spacer in. Until you become a strong cyclist, there's no point in riding an aggressive position on an undulating course.

Makes sense!

..................... I'm not into having the latest, most expensive bike out there, I've beaten a lot of them - bikes are important, but legs are more important :smartarse:

Good quote. My current Tri bike is 8 years old and the legs 43, but I still pass people on much more expensive set-ups.

• Like 2

it was only ever used by an elderly man who only rode it to church on Sundays :smile1:

I thought your church group met on Saturdays? And you used a different smilie than normal ;)