Merv

enduring power of attorney

As reinforcement of why you need to get this done earlier rather than later, 2 years after first posting on this subject, they are still trying to organise the EPOA. First go through, the judge said no. She said that she didn't feel it was the best thing for her MiL. How a judge can say that I have no idea. This means an 84 year old that can hardly walk, can't get out a a chair by herself, has kidney failure, heart problems, and can't remember to go to the toilet so has to be cleaned up at least twice a day, can say, "No I don't want to go to a home", and her elder (arthritis ridden) husband now has to look after her. It's absolutely killing him, tearing more than one family apart, and she cannot even be placed in day respite to give my wife & her Dad a short break till this is sorted.

Do it now.

ps: My response after hearing the first verdict was that they should have dropped the MiL at the judge's house for a few days.

4 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

As reinforcement of why you need to get this done earlier rather than later, 2 years after first posting on this subject, they are still trying to organise the EPOA. First go through, the judge said no. She said that she didn't feel it was the best thing for her MiL. How a judge can say that I have no idea. This means an 84 year old that can hardly walk, can't get out a a chair by herself, has kidney failure, heart problems, and can't remember to go to the toilet so has to be cleaned up at least twice a day, can say, "No I don't want to go to a home", and her elder (arthritis ridden) husband now has to look after her. It's absolutely killing him, tearing more than one family apart, and she cannot even be placed in day respite to give my wife & her Dad a short break till this is sorted.

Do it now.

ps: My response after hearing the first verdict was that they should have dropped the MiL at the judge's house for a few days.

Hi Ex-Hasbeen, I feel sorry for you. I managed to get POA and Enduring guardianship for my brother with the help of doctors letters saying he was terminal and unable to sign documents and make financial decisions. He is still now in permanent aged care. Just a bit of advice for anyone going through this is the importance of sufficient ID, especially claiming anything through Centrelink, as my brother did not have a drivers license or a recent passport and it took me over 6 months alone just to prove he existed at all, even though I had his birth certificate and was receiving invoices from the Aged Care Facility.

We got a POA done when we got our Wills done years ago. We’ve used the POA a few times now. A family member has POA for both of us and has been able to sign bank docs and real estate docs when we sold a property (we were overseas on holidays). 

When we first starting combining assets and bank accounts, our solicitor suggested we get POAs done. If a person becomes ill for a long period of time or has a critical accident  .. it’s hard to do much financially if accounts or assets are in joint names.

Our bank also has fully executed copies of the POAs on file. It’s been a simple process to use it.

Edited by beginnergirl

Re Enduring Guardianship for my mother.  I'm told I need a solicitor to explain this document to me before I sign it. I've read it and it's quite short and easy to understand. Nevertheless when I rang a solicitor to book an appointment to have it explained to me I was told it would cost me $330 as that's the charge for an hour or part thereof. Does that sound right?  Seems like a lot of money for something that might only take 15 minutes tops. 

Do you need it explained?

In this current World of compliance and arse covering - yep.

Do I agree - not really.

Same scenario if you come and get a loan from me this days and require a guarantee from directors etc - I will send you to a Solicitor to have the document explained prior to signing so that you understand exactly what you are signing.  The deal wont progress without it.

I have seen Solicitor costs range from $150 to $1500 for this service. They have you over a barrel so can charge what they want.

$330 in my experience sounds about right. Sorry.

Wow! Assuming it only takes 15 minutes I think I'll just sit there for the next 45 minutes and make them watch me twiddle my thumbs 😡

• Haha 4

On 13/07/2018 at 12:26 PM, A2K said:

Wow! Assuming it only takes 15 minutes I think I'll just sit there for the next 45 minutes and make them watch me twiddle my thumbs 😡

run a few other things past him, like maybe updating wills etc.

On 13/07/2018 at 10:14 AM, A2K said:

Re Enduring Guardianship for my mother.  I'm told I need a solicitor to explain this document to me before I sign it. I've read it and it's quite short and easy to understand. Nevertheless when I rang a solicitor to book an appointment to have it explained to me I was told it would cost me $330 as that's the charge for an hour or part thereof. Does that sound right?  Seems like a lot of money for something that might only take 15 minutes tops. 

Do you require it no. Does $330 for 15 of your time sounds about right. It isn't 15 of the solicitor's time, it is the years of knowledge built up that you are paying for. 

Sorted. I remembered an old friend who is a solicitor and started her own business. She did it for half the price plus it was good to catch up after not seeing her for a few years. Now I'm taking my saving of $165 and heading to the local art supplies shop. A new career beckons.