Sign in to follow this  
Ex-Hasbeen

Tour de France - Tipping Contest and Race Chatter

Here we go again. Another 4 weeks of walking around like a zombie after sleepless nights as the Tour de France starts this Saturday.

Hurry up and get your entries into the Trannies tipping contest. Usual rules apply. Nine riders, 100 points. Most points at the end of the tour wins. All others get ribbed and ridiculed all the way through (including me if it's anything like last year). Details for entry are here:

Site - http://www.velogames.com/

League Name: Transitions
League Code: 652021551011

This thread can also work as the TDF preview & discussion thread. For those of you who remember the great posts TrevS used to make each year when the tour came round, we'll do the same thing here (TrevS, we'd love to see some input here). I'll post up a preview for Stage 1 by Friday, but could we have some volunteers for some more stages.

Over to the rest of you now.

• Like 1

I'm running a polling station saturday. At least ill be starting wih a late nite after vote counting!

Team Tally Ho are in. various changes to be made. We had to relocate to the Seychelles this year, it was the only place still taking GBP. :schnauz:

• Like 1

Team Tally Ho are in. various changes to be made. We had to relocate to the Seychelles this year, it was the only place still taking GBP. :schnauz:

Will your riders be allowed onto the mainland?

Two big items of news.

Nacer Bouhanni has pulled out of the tour with a hand injury he received in a fight, so all those with him in their teams need to get in and change him.

Orica Greenedge have changed their name with a new sponsor onboard. From this weekend they will be known as Orica BikeExchange, with BikeExchange stepping up as a new title sponsor. Orica have also announced that they will be leaving the team after next year's season.

And now I have to go and rewrite my preview for stage 1.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Will your riders be allowed onto the mainland?

I'm teaching them to ride motorbikes and we're going to jump the fence, Steve McQueen stylee :smile1:

• Like 1

I wonder if it means they'll throw their whole PR budget into this, and we won't have to put up with their ad's during the cycling shows on SBS. Sounds like a good thing to me. :)

Hello... long time long time..

Back in after a quick chat to Mrs Gizmo ..

G I Z M O I D S

Top 5 again.. well lets see about that. :smile1::scared:

Is bike exchsnge anworld wide company?

I've never heard of them but then again, I'd never heard of Green Edge either!

Hello... long time long time..

Â

Back in after a quick chat to Mrs Gizmo ..

Â

G I Z M O I D S

Â

Top 5 again.. well lets see about that. :smile1:Â :scared:

Did mrs giz have your password?

I have the rest of the day to make another 10 changes to my team. I'm pretty sure 11 of those changes will be wrong. :)

Bike Exchange is Australian and expanding. Green Edge wasn't a company, more like..insert name here. It was a vacant second tier naming sponsor spot.

• Like 1

I'm teaching them to ride motorbikes and we're going to jump the fence, Steve McQueen stylee :smile1:

So gonna finish up in the barbed wire then?

So gonna finish up in the barbed wire then?

Yeah, our camp is Hoogerlandia :)

Stage 1 : Mont-Saint-Michel – Utah Beach (Sainte-Marie-du-Mont) 188km
This year’s Grand Departe is the first on mainland France since 2011. All 18 UCI World Teams are competing, along with 4 x UCI Professional Continental Teams (Bora–Argon 18, Cofidis, Direct Énergie, and Fortuneo–Vital Concept.). These are the same 4 wildcards offered spots last year.

This is only the 13th time in 103 years that the tour has started on the coast of France. Not only that, but this stage finishes on the coast as well, at Utah Beach, one of the D-Day landing sites. There are 2 CAT4 climbs early in this stage, but they’ll have absolutely no effect on the outcome on Saturday. The first is at 20km and is only 1.2km at 5.7%, and the second at 39km is 1.3km at 4.8%. These would not rate categorisation on a normal stage.

In the words of Cyclingnews, “There are two certainties in life: death, and a bunch sprint at the end of stage 1 of the Tour de France. (Taxes used to be inevitable, also, but there are enough professional cyclists shacked up in Monaco and Switzerland to give lie to that statement.)” The only issue I can see with this statement is if strong crosswinds pick up on this coastal stage, and we see a split in the peleton like we did in Holland previously. And in late news, weather reports are saying 25km/h crosswinds along the coastal sections, so we’ll see possibly chaotic scenes as every team tries to stay near the front and not be isolated by splits in the echelons.

Kittel would have to be favourite for this stage, with his form so far this year. He’s been unbeatable when the ducks have lined up and it’s been a standard lead-out train into the finish. Being stage 1 of the tour though, that’s not always the case. In recent years we’ve seen accidents, confusion and chaotic scenes in the finish straight. In situations like these, sprinters like Greiple & Bouhanni could show their strengths.

Christian Prudhomme’s Comment:

"The Mont-Saint-Michel! Who could have dreamt of a more spectacular Grand Départ to a Tour de France under the sign of aesthetics? From there, it'll be a rather smooth start: flat terrain on all the stage. At the finish, the riders will have a meeting with history, arriving at Utah Beach, one of the beaches chosen on the 6th of June 1944 for the D-Day Landing operations. The sprinters should have the final word."

Along the way:

Mont-Saint-Michel is a small island about 600m off the coast that is accessible at low tide, but isolated at high tide. The island features a monastery and fortifications, and is one of the most recognisable landscapes in France. This is the 3rd time Mont-Saint-Michel has featured in the tour. Unlike previous editions however, the route will not go over the causeway so often seen in movies and on postcards. Two years ago it was replaced with a footbridge turning the site back into a true island. The first 700 odd metres will instead travel over this footbridge.

WATSON_00003425-098-630x419.jpg

Chris Froom in the 2013 TDF with Mont-Saint-Michel in the background

mont_saint_michel.jpg

A view of Mont-Saint-Michel

Manche

Manche is the westernmost part of Normandy, a peninsula with strong character, proud of its singularity and one of the most maritime departments in France. Here you will not find urbanised seashores but rugged cliffs and long sandy beaches. From Mont St Michel to the Landing Beaches across Pointe du Contentin, 355 km of coastline are unfolding. To the horizon, the Anglo-Norman islands and Chausey can be seen. Manche offers a preserved environment suited to the practice of nature sports: trekking, bike and horse riding along the green ways.

Manche can also be found on the history books about Normandy: Vikings, William the Conqueror and more recently the 1944 Landing. Sainte-Mère-Eglise, Utah-Beach are names that ring a bell to remember D-Day.

Mont Saint-Michel and its bay, the Vauban towers in St Vaast la Hougue, listed as World Heirtage sites, the ports of Cherbourg and Granville, the wild landscapes of La Hague and Cote des Havres are some of the many riches of the department.

Utah Beach

Utah Beach was the code name for one of the five sectors of the Allied invasion of German-occupied France in the Normandy landings on June 6, 1944 (D-Day), during World War II. This is its first appearance as a tour site. The westernmost of the five landing beaches, Utah is on the Cotentin Peninsula, west of the mouths of the Douve and Vire rivers. Amphibious landings at Utah were undertaken by United States Army troops, with sea transport and naval artillery support provided by the U.S. Navy and elements of the British Royal Navy. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_Beach)

1280px-Utah_beach.jpg

Current Jersey Leaders

Yet to commence

Map

CARTE.jpg

PROFIL.png

Climbs
Km 20.5 - Côte d'Avranches1.2 kilometre-long climb at 5.7% - category 4

Km 39.0 - Côte des falaises de Champeaux1.3 kilometre-long climb at 4.8% - category 4

Intermediate Sprint
Km 118.5 – La Haye

General Classification:-

Yet to commence

Points Classification:-

Yet to commence

Mountains Classification:-

Yet to commence

Young Rider Classification:-

Yet to commence

Synopsis :-
Tonight looks for all the world like it will finish with a bunch sprint. No team with a sprinter in it will let a break-away be successful. That being said, the forecast strong crosswinds on the long coastal sections could see a break in the echelons which would add to the excitement of the stage.

Riders to watch:-
Kittel would have to be the favourite. To date he has won the first sprint stage of every Grand Tour he has started. I would have said Bouhanni had a chance if he hadn’t taken his finish straight rough-house tactics out on the street and injured his hand in a fight. He’s a late withdrawal. Greipel is another who could do it, but will need the ducks to line up to get past Kittel at the end.

Cavendish is another who could get home, but with 26 stage victories, he has never worn yellow in the tour. Could he break this curse? Coquard has 13 wins so far this season. More than any other sprinter, so starts the tour in good form, and with the first stage traditionally ending in chaos, he’s just the type who could take advantage of that.

Viewer Rating = 7 out of 10 (would only be 6 if not the first stage)

Race starts = 8:20pm (AEST)
Approx finish time = 1:15am (AEST)
SBS coverage starts at 8:30pm (AEST)
GUW Time = 1:05am (AEST) (Get Up to Watch). This should be when the sprint trains start to form and fly past the last of the breakaways.

Who's your tip?
Kittel, possibly Coquard, though my heart says Greipel or maybe Cav, just so he gets a yellow jersey to put up in the pool room.
J.

• Like 1

We now have 26 teams in the league. Any more that want to join need to register their teams before race start tomorrow night.

And FP. I just looked at the league, and they have you in the number 1 spot. Can you keep it warm for me? :)

Entered, and on scene in Normandy. Will see the first 3 stages live, maybe the fourth. At the finish for the first 2, then meeting it halfway on stage 3.

Saw one of the teams out on the open road today (Lotto) with about 6 riders. Seemed kinda strange they'd be chancing it on a busy road just one day before the start...

Lots of the locals are pumped up this way, but we have been in Paris and further south until now, where they are generally more interested in the Euro 2016.

Might change once the race gets underway!

• Like 1

We now have 26 teams in the league. Any more that want to join need to register their teams before race start tomorrow night.

And FP. I just looked at the league, and they have you in the number 1 spot. Can you keep it warm for me? :)

I won't be sat in it long enough to warm it up!

I made another change just now. It's like hanging tinsel on a Xmas, you should go with your first attempt. :)

So what are the best watching options

Are they having the early stuff on sbs 2 or 3 or is it online like last year? Until it comes on sbs at 9-30 or 10 pm

Cheers

Ivp

Edited by ironpo

Tonight they are starting at 8:30, but there may be a bit of a prelude as it's the first day. They probably have a standard feed from something like 9:30 or 10. Fo me, other than a few of the big stages, I'll be recording & getting up at 4am to watch before going to work. Whilst I'm having a short break from the pool, I may as well keep to the same sleep pattern as normal.

33 starters so far. Last chance for you all to go in and check that you don't have any withdrawals in your squads. If you see a cross against any of your team in the "starter" column, you need to replace them now.

• Like 1

Huge field, was going to give it a miss but made the effort to interrupt my Whitsundays holiday and enter. The things I do for you lot.

So will anybody put together a preview for stage 2? Looks like a beauty of a finish for the hard men.

tour_de_france_2016_stage_2_profile.jpg0

And the winner tomorrow night will likely be wearing yellow the next day, as the pure sprinter that wins tonight is likely to drop behind on the last climb.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

In at the last minute.

Not much thought went in to my team so we'll see if that has any bearing on my points.

conti down couldnt have happened to a better person.

off the old bike onto a mechanical doping bike lol

Just changed my team to get Cav out. He's focused on Rio. Went with Griepel as my sprinter

I did that as well, went with Kittel. Doh!

Edited by FatPom

Annoying cav is in yellow. There goes any chance for easy points for having yellow for a few stages.

They should start on a massive farkin hill.

So do you think Phil has figured out who won the sprint yet? ÃÂ Fair dinkum put him out in the pasture!

Interesting to hear the commentary on ITV4 yesterday. Seems like they've made the switch from P&P to Ned Boulting and David Millar. ITV4 have been absolute stalwarts for P&P up until now. I'm glad they've gone but could do without listening to a Scottish doper.

Edited by FatPom

Interesting to hear the commentary on ITV4 yesterday. Seems like they've made the switch from P&P to Ned Boulting and David Millar. ITV4 have been absolute stalwarts for P&P up until now. I'm glad they've gone but could do without listening to a Scottish doper.

Similar here FP. It looks like we're getting Matt and Robbie for the bulk of the stage and P&P for about the last hour. It seems SBS are weening us off.

Robbie has turned into an excellent commentator and he and Matt make a brilliant team.

• Like 1

I just watched the highlights and wow. They never even saw Cav till he stuck his arms up for the win.

Similar here FP. It looks like we're getting Matt and Robbie for the bulk of the stage and P&P for about the last hour. It seems SBS are weening us off.

Robbie has turned into an excellent commentator and he and Matt make a brilliant team.

Sounds good, I like Matt Keenan. The only time I've heard Robbie commentate was when he was in a race! I think it was in the Bay Criterium series but not sure, it was years ago. He didn't say an awful lot in between the deep breathing!

I'd much rather listen to Matt and Robbie (and Tomalaris/McKenzie/Vogel) than P&P. Reckon their analysis is better too. Disappointed when SBS switched over.

I think that SBS thought that there would be a massive outcry if they didn't continue with P&P. Given how well Matt and Robbie are going I'm not sure there would be.

• Like 1

2 schools of thought here. I grew up with Phil and Paul.do miss there carry on.. :sleepy::sleepy::sleepy: