Hello Brett, thanks for agreeing to appear on Ten Q's. You have been singled out as an elete age group triathlete, and I'm sure that hasn't gone unnoticed on the forum.

Kindly answer 2 introductory questions. Ten Questions will be up later today.

INTRO QUESTIONS.

1. Brett Weick. Who are you? Submit here a brief bio data. Where were you born and places you have lived. Education? Occupation and how you got into that? How about genetics, has anything been handed down to you? Since you told me you are currently single, I'll answer that one for you.

2. Now talk about sports played since school days and the level reached in each sport. Running and your PB's, the progression. Then talk about how you got into triathlon and your first event. And leave it there.

Edited by Kamal2
  • Like 1

TEN QUESTIONS.

1. Brett. Age 33 currently so still in AG 30-34. Just 3 years ago you debued at Port with a 9:58. Talk about that giving more background.

2. Then your second IM which I don't have. When and where and the result?

3. The then career highlight so far. 9:08 at Taupo with a KQ. 2nd in Age Group, 30th overall in the event. Give the story here.

4. Mate, knowing you only on the forum, you are quite humble. But at 3:04 marathon, approximately 20th best time in the race, is actually jaw dropping. How did you do it?

5. So as you may have already mentioned you work with a coach. Who is he and what has been the arrangement up to now?

6. And couple that with some comments about a few top name athletes you have encountered on the journey. Some you have trained with.

7. And yet you did tell me you prefer to train alone, mostly solo. Explain that.

8. Your occupation "work from home", does give you some advantages not enjoyed by others. Talk about a hard week in training. How many hours and how many sessions in each discipline?

9. I think you were recently injured. In general, how have you avoided injury on the high volume high intensity training you have done over a few years now?

10. And the motivation or lack of, which you have recently posted on forum? Cutting through all cinnamon, and all advice given, some of which is good. How does Brett Weick deal with that? Despite all the advice, you are the one to deal with it so how?

Can we continue?

11. You talked earlier about peaking at 100 kg or more maybe 10 years ago. And you might

have already mentioned above. In combining exercise with HFLC, do you have any

concern about long term effects of HFLC?

12. How are you getting to Kona and who will you meet up with over there?

Edited by Kamal2
  • Like 1

Bonus Questions.

1. How many "Majors" did Greg Norman win?

2. How many Rugby Union World Cups has Australia won?

3. You are playing in a local golf event under PGA rules and local course rules. You play 9 holes and there is a torrential rain. The event must be completed today, so play continues, but the greens on the back 9 are now waterlogged and flooded in parts There is a sign up saying "Automatic 2 Putt Rule"

So per convention, you may pick up your ball on the green, adding 2 putts to your score. Going to the 17th you are in contention for the lead. You play your ball onto the green, 3 feet from the pin. You decide to go for the birdie, but miss the short putt. You pick up and move to the next hole.

After the 18th hole and before you sign your scorecard, you are approached by the tournament director.

What might be the problem?

4. Same event earlier in the round but after the rain. Bunkers are also pooling with water. So you hit

your ball into a puddle in the bunker. You consult your playing partner who confirms casual water in the bunker, you are entitled to a free drop within the bunker. So you do drop your ball in the bunker but it rolls back into the water. What do you do now?

Per what I have said. Is that legal up to the point of dropping the ball?

Edited by Kamal2

Hello Brett, thanks for agreeing to appear on Ten Q's.ÃÃÂ You have been singled out as an elete age group triathlete, and I'm sure that hasn't gone unnoticed on the forum.

ÃÃÂ

Kindly answer 2 introductory questions. Ten Questions will be up later today.

ÃÃÂ

INTRO QUESTIONS.

ÃÃÂ

ÃÃÂ

1. Brett Weick. Who are you? Submit here a brief bio data. Where were you born and places you have lived. Education? Occupation and how you got into that? How about genetics, has anything been handed down to you? Since you told me you are currently single, I'll answer that one for you.

ÃÃÂ

ÃÃÂ

ÃÃÂ

2. Now talk about sports played since school days and the level reached in each sport. Running and your PB's, the progression. Then talk about how you got into triathlon and your first event. And leave it there.

Hey Chris thanks I dont like that term elite. Like anyone else who reached their goals in triathlon we all worked bloody hard to get there and i think most would agree doesn't put you in an elite class.

Anyways yeah Im Brett Weick I was born in Brisbane qld and grew up in the bayside at Cleveland. I lived there till i was about 24 when i moved out to Belmont near Carindale. I lived there for about 3 years before moving to Brisbane city for 12 months. I moved to the gold coast for my partners job and we lived there until recently when I moved away to Port Macquarie.

I went to high school in Thornlands at a catholic school called carmel college. Finished in 2000 and went straight into a job working in the family business which was manufacturing timber frames and trusses for houses. My father left the business after a heart attack scare and my grandfather sold it but i stayed there and have been working in the industry since leaving school. Im currently working from home for a Newcastle based company but will be starting at a local plant in the next 3 weeks.

My dad was a rep level afl player and did a lot of surfing growing up but definitely not an endurance sport background in our family.

Growing up I played a lot of golf with my old man. I was never any good at footy but I loved playing golf. I was playing off between 1 and 4 from the time i was 17 till i stopped playing about 10 years ago. I have joined port mac golf club since moving here and they started me on 6 so thats keeping it very honest for a part time hack (i shot 93 yesterday).

I figured out i could run when playing a bit of soccer and found i could run laps around the oval all day when all the other guys seemed to slow down i could just keep running. I was never a sprinter and anything 400m or less i got flogged at school.

I never made any rep sides for running just got to the intra school level then got smashed.

I did make it to the state champs for golf though. But i choked and had hundreds.

After school i got very fat. Like 100kg plus fat. It wasnt until my partner wanted to start some running that i got into that. My first run was back in 2008 where i ran 5k at the redcliffe jetty to jetty in about 30min.

I tried every diet under the sun to lose weight. I did the shakes about 3 times. Weight watchers. The big difference was doing michelle bridges 12wbt. Did the first season and lost 20kg and learnt a lot about food. Obviously my runnimg improved with this. I ran 10k in 2008 at bridge to brisbane and a few years later in 2012 i ran 35min 10k at bridge to brisbane, 1.17 half marathon in melbourne and a 48.50 city to surf in sydney. I was getting coached by Sean Williams in sydney at the time and was building up to a marathon when i developed a stress fracture. I have never run a marathon as i started tris after that when some guys i worked with invited me out on a ride with them on a sunday. Not long after i did my first sprint race at raby bay.

Edited by RunBrettRun
  • Like 1

1. Brett. Age 33 currently so still in AG 30-34. Just 3 years ago you debued at Port with a 9:58. Talk about that giving more background

So my first full i was still recovering from the stress fracture i got when training for my marathon. I had just moved to the coast and started training with Gus and the guys at Southport tri club.

In the lead up I did my first half at the sunny coast. I managed 4.30 which I was pretty happy with. In the lead up to port I got my runnimg back on track after getting over the injury. Swimming is never too much of an issue as our squad does min 16k a week in the pool normally 18-20k the bike has always been my hig weakness. I did a lot of double ride weekends totalling about 250k but never rode more than 180k in one ride.

Port was a really funny race. The swim felt great but i never felt comfortable on the bike. We had some strong cross winds. Some would say it was the hardest day ever. But in any event i rode 5.48 which i was really dissapointed with. The run felt good for 2.5 laps and then i found out how quickly it all falls apart. One minute running easy at 4:20 the next struggling at 5.30 and getting slower. I held on for a 3.12 run split and scrapped under 10hrs without knowing till after the race.

At the time Gus told me we were going to Kona one year but finishing mid 20s in my ag i never thought it would be much of a possibility.

• Like 2

2. Then your second IM which I don't have. When and where and the result?

Second was Cairns 2015. I was meant to do Port again but transferred back to cairns.

By the time the race came around i was tired and over it as we transferred late it just extended the prep.

Swim was much the same as port but i feel i made a big improvement on the bike. 53min swim and then a 5.20 ride. I did alot more long bike leading up to cairns. I ran ok for about 28k but my last lap i fell to pieces. I learnt alot re raceday fueling in that race. I ran 3.16 for 9.37 and 5th in my age group but a long way off the podium and missed a roll down to Kona by 1. I still didnt believe i was ready or close to qualifying i just figured i raced against a weak field.

• Like 1

3. The then career highlight so far. 9:08 at Taupo with a KQ. 2nd in Age Group, 30th overall in the event. Give the story here.

Haha career highlight. Id say its my greatest achievement in sport yes.

I had what I'd call a breakthrough race at sunny coast in 2015. Off the back of cairns i had a good break and lined up at sunny coast seriously under done but knowing i had a big season of 70.3 races coming up. I somehow managed 4.15 with a 1.21 run and 7th or 8th in age group which was good enough to jag a roll down with an extra spot being thrown in thanks to an older ag.

After this race i really started to believe i could do it. I think that was a huge hurdle, telling myself it was possible to kq. I was working with a good coach and some good guys on nutrition who were all helping and supporting me to nail the 1%'s which for me were essential.

After sunny coast i had a very up and down period and my next race was western sydney where i finished 2nd in my ag with 4.17 which i was was stoked witha podium but I'd gone backwards in terms of my performance compared to others.

Anyway over Christmas i decided to move to port macquarie to start a new life and try get some consistency back into training. It worked a treat. I trained as well as ever leading up to nz until 2 weeks to go when i got a bad pain in my knee.

I did what anyone would do and vented on trannys. Nothing my physio did helped and he wished me luck when i left there on the tuesday before the event handing me a pack of needles saying just stick these where its tight....

When i got to nz i was taking sole voltaren but the ironman people there organised some free dr sessions so i went along and asked for some stronger anti inflamms. He gave me some 75mg and got me an appt at the local physio for more needling. Needling worked a treat. Anti inflams caused me too spend the day before on the toilet almost going to hospital on a number of occasions.

Anyway right or wrong i decided to start the race despite still being up in the bathroom at 3am.

I decided that the dr i saw was the race dr so ill have a swim and if my guts go ill pull out and go to medical.

Swim went well. Found a good pack and stuck to their feet. I got on the bike and just thought ill ride aid station to aid station. I was feeling alright and my guts were holding together so i thought ill have a good crack at the bike knowing it hurt every time i run. So i just put the head down and went for it. Felt strong for the whole race and got off the bike running out of t2 with mike reilly calling me in 5th.

My knee started hurting 1.5k in but if i concentrated really hard on landing my foot right underneath me it felt ok so thats what i did. I ran scared and didnt want to stop for fear of what might happen to my knee. I passed 4th on the first lap. 3rd i passed at the end of the 2nd lap and starting the 3rd lap I was told i was about 5min behind 2nd. I caught him about 7k into the lap and passed then ran terrified as he was wearing black everytime i looked back i saw someone in black. With about 3k to go my other knee started collapsing in which was concerning at the time but i managed to get through and crossing the line being called 2nd and knowing i had a spot to kona wrapped up was an amazing feeling. I stopped in the finish shute high fiving and soaking in the feeling and my knee locked up and i had to hobble across the line.

Having so many ups and downs in the last 2 weeks that was an amazing feeling.

Edited by RunBrettRun
  • Like 3

4. Mate, knowing you only on the forum, you are quite humble. But at 3:04 marathon, approximately 20th best time in the race, is actually jaw dropping. How did you do it?

I was pretty stoked with my marathon in NZ. I did a lot of ks leading up to the race running. I think my shortest run each week was about 14km with the longest only 27k but i did a couple days with split runs of 14k am and 20k pm. Lots of longer intervals at race pace or just below which i was working in the 4.15-4.20 zone and little to no short faster stuff. I ran a lot of flat from the breakwall out to settlement point and back with my "easy" runs in the rolling hills from town out to lighthouse beach. I much prefer rolling courses to run on so maybe thats why I did run a bit better in NZ. I find that you get to use different muscle groups rather than just pounding the same muscles over and over when running on the flat.

I also have learnt from Sean Williams that its important to make sure the easy running is easy which is why I like doing my running solo. I do the majority of my running close to 5.00 pace and then when my coach calls for it I'll drop it down to hit the numbers I need to. Alot of my training partners want to push the pace a bit more which I get caught up in way too easy and while its fun at the time having a bit of a battle I'm more interested in just doing what I need to rather than trying to prove myself in training.

• Like 1

5. So as you may have already mentioned you work with a coach. Who is he and what has been the arrangement up to now?

My coach I Craig Sweeney most people know him as Gus. Hes very old school and doesnt like time wasters. Hes a very very good swim coach and has run sub 2.30 marathons back in his day. Cause of his no nonsense attitude he turns a lot of people off and won't blow smoke up your ass. It can be hard to take at times but the results speak for themselves if you're willing to stay the course and put in the hard yards. Like AP always says there is no shortcuts, its about getting out there and swim/bike/running as much as you can. Due to his ways he has a small dedicated team of athletes he works with all with a similar mindset who show up to training to get the job done. Its definitely not a social squad.

Anyway now I am in port he is coaching me via email and phone. I generally have contact with him 2 or 3 times a week to let him know how I'm going and I'll also see how he is going as he qualified for kona this year at port.

6. And couple that with some comments about a few top name athletes you have encountered on the journey. Some you have trained with.

I havent really trained with any top name athletes. I shared a lane at the pool with Nick Gates and Adsy Gordan while they were swimming with Gus when Southport pool was being rebuilt and Ive done a lot of my running before Triathlon with Clare Geraghty who is a good local runner around brisbane. Also before I moved to Port Cyrrel Vienot was swimming and riding with us on the gold coast but I never got to run with him which is a shame. I do a lot of my training solo though due to having gus specify what I need to do I don't really see much benefit in riding in big groups when Ive just got to get out and do the session he has set out for me and then get home.

7. And yet you did tell me you prefer to train alone, mostly solo. Explain that.

Yeah i do enjoy solo stuff cause i just like to run and ride at my own pace and not others. I dont like stopping at a shop for 30min mid ride or running too fast for what the session calls for. I do get caught up in the moment when someone wants to sprint off the front of a ride or push the pace on a run so for me its easier to avoid the situation.

8. Your occupation "work from home", does give you some advantages not enjoyed by others. Talk about a hard week in training. How many hours and how many sessions in each discipline?

To be honest no i dont think it gives me advantages. My job can be very frustrating with bad internet connections meaning my work can take longer meaning longer days and working from home means i move a lot less than working in the office. I believe this was a major contributor to me getting injured before NZ.

A big week for me leading up to NZ would be

Monday morning easy spin 1hr on trainer or rest

Monday arvo 4.5k swim

Tuesday am 1.5-1.75 hr wind trainer interval session

Tuesday night 1.5 hour run

Wed morning 5-6k swim

Wed arvo 2 hour run

Thursday morning 1.5 - 1.75 hr wind trainer

Thursday arvo 4.5k swim

Friday am 1.5hr run

Saturday am 150k ride with 10-18k run off or 6 hour ride with no run.

Saturday pm 3-4k river swim

Sunday am 2hour run.

• Like 1

9. I think you were recently injured. In general, how have you avoided injury on the high volume high intensity training you have done over a few years now?

I think its a fine balancing act between listening to your body and keeping a good communication line with your coach who will be looking out for any warning signs. I also believe making sure to keep easy running very easy makes a big difference.

10. And the motivation or lack of, which you have recently posted on forum? Cutting through all cinnamon, and all advice given, some of which is good. How does Brett Weick deal with that? Despite all the advice, you are the one to deal with it so how?

Yeah the motivation has really been lacking lately. I talk to friends about it and they look at me like I have two heads. I dont know how to explain it but with Sunny Coast and Kona coming up my motivation is the lowest its been for a long time but these are the two biggest races i have done since starting triathlon. In saying that momentum is a massive thing for me. Since i posted that i have just been ticking the sessions off one at a time and have only missed one session in 3 weeks now and that was out of my hands.

There was a quote someone posted about putting individual bricks in the wall and that really struck me. I think about it every time I start a session. Im just rebuilding my wall.

I also heard something on a youtube clip the other day that hit home. Noone cares if you give up when it gets hard in a race or miss a training session cause you're tired. But you will always know.

• Like 2

11. You talked earlier about peaking at 100 kg or more maybe 10 years ago. And you might

have already mentioned above. In combining exercise with HFLC, do you have any

concern about long term effects of HFLC?

Not at all, I believe it is a very healthy way of eating, I don't really want to go on a long rant as to why. The research is out there for anyone who wants to look for it. It just works, and the research shows that it isn't just me it works for so I'll leave it at that.

12. How are you getting to Kona and who will you meet up with over there?

Im flying out of Sydney on the tuesday before the race, Ill be meeting my Mum over there and also my coach who qualified as well.

I also went to Hobart in January for a wedding, while I was there a friend of mine put me in touch with a guy who coaches a squad called Get Fit, we went on a 150k bike ride around Hobart and then I saw him again the next day at the Hobart Marathon. He was also doing NZ for his 2nd ironman. He got a roll down spot in the 35-39 age group. So I'll be looking forward to meeting up with him there and enjoying a lot of post race drinks!

I'm also really looking forward to catching up with Leon, Cranky, Noknees, Mungo and AP (if everyone has time) for a swim and tranny catch up.

• Like 1

Bonus Questions.

1. How many "Majors" did Greg Norman win?

Is it sad that my only memory of Greg Norman in a major while I was growing up was his epic collapse at the Masters?

2. How many Rugby Union World Cups has Australia won?

No idea, Ive never been a rugby man. The Brisbane lions however won 3 straight premierships beating Eseendon and Collingwood twice!

3. You are playing in a local golf event under PGA rules and local course rules. You play 9 holes and there is a torrential rain. The event must be completed today, so play continues, but the greens on the back 9 are now waterlogged and flooded in parts There is a sign up saying "Automatic 2 Putt Rule"

So per convention, you may pick up your ball on the green, adding 2 putts to your score. Going to the 17th you are in contention for the lead. You play your ball onto the green, 3 feet from the pin. You decide to go for the birdie, but miss the short putt. You pick up and move to the next hole.

After the 18th hole and before you sign your scorecard, you are approached by the tournament director.

What might be the problem?

To be honest my understanding is that as soon as water is pooling on the greens play is cancelled and I have never heard of the automatic 2 putt rule. But in saying that, the fact I missed the 3 footer, I dare say he is approaching me due to the fact I snapped my putter over my knee after missing the putt.

4. Same event earlier in the round but after the rain. Bunkers are also pooling with water. So you hit

your ball into a puddle in the bunker. You consult your playing partner who confirms casual water in the bunker, you are entitled to a free drop within the bunker. So you do drop your ball in the bunker but it rolls back into the water. What do you do now?

Per what I have said. Is that legal up to the point of dropping the ball?

Place the ball where it landed making sure you're not standing in the water either? I have only started playing again after 10 years so I am very rusty on the rules :)

Edited by RunBrettRun

Just for good measure here is me running 10k at gold coast in 2009 and me finishing NZ this year.e6592ab3a278d5ee844944f6251e6a5b.jpg0013f9998dba93fe9e844dacf35107c4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Just for good measure here is me running 10k at gold coast in 2009 and me finishing NZ this year.e6592ab3a278d5ee844944f6251e6a5b.jpg0013f9998dba93fe9e844dacf35107c4.jpg

Are you serious? 325??

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Greg Norman.

Won only 2 majors, 2 British Opens. Lost 5 in playoffs after 72 holes, lost the Master's after a collapse.

Lost 4 playoffs for majors in the USA and 1 playoff with Mark Calcavecchia and Wayne Grady for the British Open, a 3 man playoff.

Rugby Union World Cups.

We have won just 2, the first on Michael Lynagh's try (I think) and the 2nd on Steve Larkham's drop goal. Sadly you mention the Brisbane Lions, I'm a Bomber fan and we went years without beating them home or away.

Automatic 2 Putts.

That would be a local course rule as mentioned in the question. Around Asia it is occasionally invoked. I played in Class B, Seniors, and saw in maybe twice in tournament play.

The official is going to question you because you did not apply the 2 putt rule when you tried for the birdie. You then picked up. He may disqualify you. Or he may ask you to add 3 strokes, not 2 to your score. One for the putt and 2 for the pick up.

Casual Water in a Bunker.

Drop the ball 3 times and if no satisfactory lie due to the water. Place the ball in the bunker no nearer the hole.

Edited by Kamal2

Greg Norman.

Â

Won only 2 majors, 2 British Opens. Lost 5 in playoffs after 72 holes, lost the Master's after a collapse.

Â

Rugby Union World Cups.

Â

We have won just 2, the first on Michael Lynagh's try (I think) and the 2nd on Steve Larkham's drop goal. Sadly you mention

the Brisbane Lions, I'm a Bomber fan and we went years without beating them home or away.

Â

Automatic 2 Putts.

Â

That would be a local course rule as mentioned in the question. Around Asia it is occasionally invoked. I played in Class B, Seniors, and saw in maybe twice in tournament play.Â

Â

The official is going to question you because you did not apply the 2 putt rule when you tried for the birdie. You then picked up. He may disqualify you. Or he may ask you to add 3 strokes, not 2 to your score. One for the putt and 2 for the pick up.

Â

Casual Water in a Bunker.

Â

Drop the ball 3 times and if no satisfactory lie due to the water. Place the ball in the bunker no nearer the hole.

Are you sure you drop it 3 times in the bunker? I am actually not entirely sure you do actually drop a ball in the bunker I thought it was placed.

Oh, now I am not sure. Will check it up later.

And thanks for appearing, you made it easy for me, providing me with excellent material to work with.

I think the term elite will still apply, even if you are not comfortable with it. After interviewing a few high level guys, non pro, I notice the Age Grouper will tend to plateau or sometimes regress a bit. That would seem to separate a full time pro who can race more, from an Age Grouper like yourself who gets perhaps 1-2 chances in a year to go for PB's, KQ's etc.

Like golf. Or trying for a 35 min 10 k, and another analogy the 3 hour marathon. There is so much work involved, the harder you try if you don't meet the goal, you start to regress. Maybe that's also where a coach comes in, and you certainly highlighted that.

Then injury. And in these harder Age Groups you will have younger guys coming in before you age up.

Anyway, great response and thanks for getting it out on time, per plan.

Edited by Kamal2

Holy crap if that doesn't get your motivational juices flowing check your pulse ppl.

great read RBR :thumbup1:

• Like 1

Actually, I'm almost sure in any situation you do the drop twice. If it rolls either back into the situation your obtaining relief from, or more than two club lengths, you drop again, and after the second drop you place the ball as close as possible to where it struck the ground on the second drop.

Yep, was gonna chime in with 2 for Norman and the Australia (and I don't even follow rugby). But there's some new evidence that's come up that Mize (I think it was Mize) made an incorrect drop (funny enough) during his round but was not penalised. He held the ball incorrectly while making a drop, didn't re-take it and should have been penalised.

• Like 1

And a nice read, from one of the truly nice guys in the sport!

• Like 2

Kamal, well done on finding another Tranny willing to open up.

I second Goughy on the drop ruling.

RBR, met you after the roll down at Taupo, nice to put the back story to the person. Best wishes for a memorable Kona race.

Great read rbr, think it was your old/current job I saw advertised today, no more uni pool hey?

Should have a date for port training weekend in the next week or so, reckon I shouldn't compromise your ride but definitely your run so you'll be on the second beer when I get finished. I'll shout your third one.

Yup that be me.

Good work!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

And i thought you were just an anorexic gifted runner with no idea of how tough is big boned people have it. .. now i can see you had previously eaten one of us and you've turned it around

• Like 1

Good read .... made me think there is something for me to go after!

Keep the sessions ticking over for SC and Kona

Well done Kamal, yet another good subject for 10 Questions.

Enjoyed the read Brett, it's great to hear a bit more of the story, and it's not over yet!

Are we catching up for a beer at the Bondi Hotel again? Maybe that's the motivation you need! :yes:.

Keep the enjoyment in it and you'll be fine!

• Like 1

Great stuff, and Goughy is on the money re: the drop. You never get to place for relief unless both your drops either roll nearer the hole or back in the hazard/or requiring relief again. Edit - except on the green.

Edited by Diamonds
  • Like 1