ironmum

Outside assistance???

So I did cairns on weekend.. This was my 13th ironman... i was at the back of the field and got talking to lady walking at about 25k of run... She told me she couldn't run any more of the marathon due to getting a Iv bag of fluid and then let to continue on in the race.....wtf?? I was baffled by this... This is not something I had ever heard of or seen... I thought you once had Iv your race was over??? Has anyone heard of this before???

Yep allowed.

Outside assistance is from someone not with the race organisers.

You can even leave the course go home and have dinner and then come back. As long as you re enter the course where you left.

I stopped for dinner at port one year.

Simone stopped for 30 minutes one year and came to the pub. Restarted and finished.

If someone offers you a coffee from the supporting crowd, you take it , and drink it, is that considered assistance?

I have been offered this before, and refused on the grounds that I did not want a DSQ.

Not outside assistant as Peter as described, however if someone needs a iv bag than where is the duty of care from the medical professional to allow them to continue?

• Like 1

I thought once you were in the hands of medical, that was it?

Ive known people crash, go to medical, get patched up and continue.

I think its their call if ur fit enough to continue or not.

Edited by The Turtle

Ive known people crash, go to medical, get patched up and continue.

I think its their call if ur fit enough to continue or not.

Bit of a difference between getting some road rash cleaned up and getting IV fluid.

Might depend on what the medication was. Can't comment on whether she should have been allowed to continue or not. But appointed officials, medical etc is not outside assistance.

I would argue that if you are dehydrated enough to need a drip you wouldn't be able to make clear rational decisions.

Not safe for the athlete or others around

• Like 2

That's what i was thinking Roxii...was thinking it was a bit of a risk sending her back out...

Bit of a difference between getting some road rash cleaned up and getting IV fluid.

Definately. But just being seen by medical isnt the delineator.

If ur bad enough to need iv, u should be pulled

• Like 1

Maybe it was planned blood doping - triathletes will try anything these days

I think the dr was in a better situation to make the decision for her to continue than we are.

Mind you i think sports drink and gels should be banned and everyone should only use water.

But appointed officials, medical etc is not outside assistance.

Wrong Goughy and Peter, as mechanics etc are appointed as part of the race..... And if they help you you are DQed!

This girl should have been DQed.

This was a Challenge race right? Is all they did was rename it to Ironman as there ain't many positives coming out of this race: old towels, no medals, short bike leg.....people cheating with IV etc etc.

Next it will be something will come about about zippers!

I confess I drank a beer handed to me by a stranger during the run. I tried to tell them to DQ me but I guess I was slurring my words and they couldn't understand.

When i was a TO my interpretation was correct. The rule must have changed.

Can you find the rule where a medic help gets you a dq?

Edited by Peter

Wrong Goughy and Peter, as mechanics etc are appointed as part of the race..... And if they help you you are DQed!

This was a Challenge race right? Is all they did was rename it to Ironman as there ain't many positives coming out of this race: old towels, no medals, short bike leg.....people cheating with IV etc etc.

Then I will stand corrected! I thought people officially associated with the race would be ok. You live and learn.

Shoulda chucked a bag of blood in there too!

You can even leave the course go home and have dinner and then come back. As long as you re enter the course where you left.

Last year at Port IM, after being fairly crook on the bike leg, I spoke to an official at the start of the run and then left the course to go back to my unit for a shower and freshen up before rejoining the course at the same location about 40 minutes later. To be fair, I put the same gear back on so that there was no advantage from having a change of clothing etc.

There is no doubt that I got an advantage from being able to freshen up, but by this stage I was nowhere near the pointy end of my age group so I think the official just did the right thing by allowing me to finish comfortably. If the official hadn't allowed it then I would have just accepted his decision and gone on regardless or freshened up at an aid station.

In the example of the lady with the IV fluids I have no idea. There's probably two ways you can look at it, but I think we probably need the full picture before saying the either she, the medical staff or the officials have done the wrong thing. If it's just dehydration I know that you recover fairly quickly when you get some IV fluids in.

Someone I know snapped a spoke at port this year. Rolled along and lost anout 20min before getting into town and the shimano guys took his bike off him and fully replaced the wheel with another. He didnt have to do anything. Podiumed his ag and is off to kona. If it is a dq they arent policing it.

Then I will stand corrected! I thought people officially associated with the race would be ok. You live and learn.

That was always my understanding.

Go easy how can it be an advantage to you if you lost time when taking a shower?

That was always my understanding.

Go easy how can it be an advantage to you if you lost time when taking a shower?

He didn't stink as much and people were nicer to him and stopped yelling GO STINKY !!!

And hence forth just yelled GO EASY !!!

• Like 1

Mechanic help = dq. Never seen that in an event guide nor briefing. Pros get spare wheels etc and they're not dq'd.

Or are we talking a difference between providing a spare vs. Actually doing "work" on your bike. My understanding is that's not allowed, have to fix your own punctures etc, but getting a tube isn't a dq

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Last year at Port IM, after being fairly crook on the bike leg, I spoke to an official at the start of the run and then left the course to go back to my unit for a shower and freshen up before rejoining the course at the same location about 40 minutes later.

They should allow this sort of thing as it's in the spirit of the first IM when they'd pop into Maccas for a snack on the way. I'd love to stop on the run and grab some light dinner :)

• Like 1

They should allow this sort of thing as it's in the spirit of the first IM when they'd pop into Maccas for a snack on the way. I'd love to stop on the run and grab some light dinner :)

Forster used to go past a kfc twice on the run.

Gee that chicken smells good.

One year at busso on the athletes video a guy stopped to get a coffee.

• Like 1

Coffee - probably bored@

7bc7b52f6b4f841e7ac2b4d5f3274c47.jpg. Yeah so, I also stopped for a BBQ dinner with a random family at black rock on the run. Beers & salted peanuts about 6km from the finish. Good times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

No doubt that I lost time, but being able freshen up allowed me to finish the race comfortably whereas if I hadn't been able to then it is more likely that I would have pulled the pin in which case all the others behind me in my age group would have moved up a spot - not that it really mattered, what's the difference between coming 162nd and 163rd (or whatever).

Once again, it's a case of rules being applied differently. I guess it's just something that we need to put up with as they are usually unpaid volunteers who are just trying to do the best job they can do. I can live with that.

He didn't stink as much and people were nicer to him and stopped yelling GO STINKY !!!

And hence forth just yelled GO EASY !!!

Haha... You'll keep! :sneaky2:.

• Like 1

Someone I know snapped a spoke at port this year. Rolled along and lost anout 20min before getting into town and the shimano guys took his bike off him and fully replaced the wheel with another. He didnt have to do anything. Podiumed his ag and is off to kona. If it is a dq they arent policing it.

Geeze this bloke is fast

Was he the only one in his age, if not the others need to have a good look and there training

Cheers

Ivp

Geeze this bloke is fast

Was he the only one in his age, if not the others need to have a good look and there training

Cheers

Ivp

He goes alright

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

There was a pic going around on Facebook of a guy at the Maccas in the Port Mac IM - still had the chip on.

Good to know. I'll make sure I have a lobster tucked in with my spares kit.

If I am correct the Cairns race organizers company for Challenge was sold /taken over by IMG therefore losing the Challenge name for Cairns. .

One year a friend was involved in the ultra man race in Hawaii and showed me a picture of a regular competition of this race walking the run leg with an Iv attached complete with its trolley .

Not wanting to upset a regular ? Like driving the last competitor of race in car so he doesn't miss the cut-off , .

Wheel replacement is allowed - you just have to put the wheel back on your bike yourself. Similar if you break a chain...they can give you the tools but you have to fix it.

An IV bag....the doctors are changing your physical make up. = DQ. Its the same for an ITB injury....ask them for a needle/pain killer and they say no its a DQ.

Wheel replacement is allowed - you just have to put the wheel back on your bike yourself. Similar if you break a chain...they can give you the tools but you have to fix it.

Â

An IV bag....the doctors are changing your physical make up. = DQ. Its the same for an ITB injury....ask them for a needle/pain killer and they say no its a DQ. Â

Nope. He did nothing. Handed them the bike and got handed it back with new wheel on it.

IronmanFoz you have said this a few times but I can't find the rule that said medical help during a race is a DQ.

I actually think you are wrong. (Health wise the person should stop themselves not have to get a DQ)

happy for you to show the rule and prove me wrong.

This is what TA says about it, so nothing really about DQ.

1.3 Health

Triathlons and other multisports are strenuous activities, and the health and welfare of competitors is of paramount importance.

a. Competitors must withdraw immediately from an event if deemed and informed by the event medical personnel that the competitor appears to present a danger to the health or welfare of either the competitor or others

b. Time limits for the swim leg, bike leg and overall finish time may be established for an event to ensure, safe competition, by the Technical Delegate for that event.

Rule 1.1 (l) you must not accept assistance from anyone other than an event official

My understanding is this includes anyone official from the RD, including mechanics, technical officials and medical, but excludes traffic marshalls (note technical officials are instructed not to assist)

Rule 1.1 (d) obey instructions from event officials

For me it's cut and dry, if the medical person allowed them to continue, no rules were broken. However I'd hate to be the insurance company if the person subsequently passed out and injured themselves or did serious harm. But like someone said, it's up to the medical professional of which I am far from being one

An IV bag....the doctors are changing your physical make up. = DQ. Its the same for an ITB injury....ask them for a needle/pain killer and they say no its a DQ.

Wheel replacement may be allowed - getting the mechanic to give you a wheel is a whole other story. I was refused one by the on-course mechanics at Cairns in 2014 even though he had a nice collection of Zipps on his scooter right in front of me. He claimed they'd been getting in trouble from RO for handing them out earlier.

Yep allowed.

Outside assistance is from someone not with the race organisers.

I stopped for dinner at port one year.

Simone stopped for 30 minutes one year and came to the pub. Restarted and finished.

Lol. That's so funny!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Rule 1.1 (l) you must not accept assistance from anyone other than an event official

My understanding is this includes anyone official from the RD, including mechanics, technical officials and medical, but excludes traffic marshalls (note technical officials are instructed not to assist)

Rule 1.1 (d) obey instructions from event officials

For me it's cut and dry, if the medical person allowed them to continue, no rules were broken. However I'd hate to be the insurance company if the person subsequently passed out and injured themselves or did serious harm. But like someone said, it's up to the medical professional of which I am far from being one

i read it like you.