Mungo

Kona Advice Please

Mungo    30

Hi All,

So after 24 years of triathlons; the last 10 years at Ironman distance; and 13 Ironman races, I finally got a Kona Slot at Cairns. I came 4th in my 55-59 age group. And how ironic that I completed my 12th IM at Port 6 weeks ago and therefore it was just a matter of time to get the Legacy Slot - anyway I'm off to Kona in October. I would very much appreciate your insights and experience on what to do to enhance my Kona experience. I would think that this will most likely be my one and only Kona Slot so I would like to make the most out of it.

I intend to go to Kona not to race but to totally enjoy the experience and not worry about a time - yes I realise that this maybe a different approach to some - but I have always thought that if I did get a Kona Slot I would be going there to take in the whole experience rather than racing for a time, as I'm not up the front-end anyway.

What I am after is insights from people who have 'been there done that' - for example what airline I should travel with, where to stay, what to do before the event etc. I am most interested in the pre and post race rather than the race itself as I have raced in the heat before (such as IM Malaysia) but any tips would be good.

I have heard that there is a swim the weekend before the event that is worth doing plus I thought that I would get there about a week before to experience the lead up. Are there any "Must Dos" or 'Don't bothers".

Any advice from your experience would be great.

• Like 9

Tossacoin    159

Ive been twice to watch. The Kailua Pig Nachos and walmart bikes have been my favourite purchases. At the time Hawaian air had 2x30kg baggage allowance so that's a tick if it still exists.

Congrats!

ironpo    2,764

Congrats mate

Same thing happened with mrs Ip with the legacy

Although she got a legacy and then KQd

Took me 15 IM to first kq so u

Might get

Another go

Airlines all much the same but if u keep your eye on Jetstar Buisness class u can pick it up at a great price

You can only fly Hawaiian from honalulu to the big island and they will stiing u for all your luggage

Start looking now for accoum most close to town wil be gone

Must do a swim with the manta rays with Neptune Charlie's

Must do a heli ride over the island for at least 2 hrs

Must get out and into the volcano Nat park

The nite hike out is amazing with the glow from the lava

Get your self some snorkel and mask and get in the water anywhere and everywhere as often as possible

Get out and around the whole island it is the most amazing diverse place on the planet so get out and see what is out there

Go

And jump

Of the end of the world

You will feel

Very fat race week but don't let that bother u

Drive or ride up to the top of mona Kia (spelling) 4000 odd meters high

Simply undescribeable

I'll

Post more with time

I love the big island and I'm sure u will as

Long as u get out of Kona town

• Like 2

IronmanFoz    635

What Ironpo said.

Also if taking wife/partner/family/friends etc I would tell all to start getting a little bit swim active/fit. Every day prior to the race the coffee boat is sitting off shore. Its not that far but its a great little swim and your going to be doing it every morning, They might as well do it with you.

• Like 1

IronmanFoz    635

And book tonight asap - walking distance to the King Kamehameha Hotel is what you need as that is registration, carbo, race start, preso etc.

RunBrettRun    1,362

Just got home from Hawaii, got stung $150 us each way for "bike handling" so factor that into your flight costs

Assume this was hawaiin. Is that each leg? Ie aus to hon then hon to kona or is it just for the whole journey in either direction?

AA7    990

I thought this thread was going to be started by Cranky.

You two should hang out.

clintred    77

Brett it was at Sydney on the way over and in kona on the way home (kona is an international airport so checked our luggage all the way through to syd). I am fairly sure they slug you 50 each way if you fly interisland with Hawaiian.

Best bit of advice is make sure your bike is in a really really strong case, the tsa/Hawaiian baggage handlers are world class at ruining bikes! last trip over my bike wall pulled off the frame in a scicon bag, checked over then just thrown back in the bag without putting it back on the rails, this time one of the wheels on my bike box was smashed completely off, its standard issue, they just don't care.

Peter    1,562

Congratulations.

If you want a car. Hire it tonight. They all get rented.

Fly with tri travel. They will save you $400 in bike fees that others pay. Or they did when i went.

Book acc with wifi

Get your undies now for undie run

clintred    77

Hire a bike from cycle worx

Very good option, the have all sizes in shivs, p2 and slice. Only problem is they are probably booked out.

hacq1    348

I intend to go to Kona not to race but to totally enjoy the experience and not worry about a time - yes I realise that this maybe a different approach to some - but I have always thought that if I did get a Kona Slot I would be going there to take in the whole experience rather than racing for a time, as I'm not up the front-end anyway.

I really like this approach and if I was ever to be lucky enough to go that's the way I'd approach it too. Congrats on your achievement and hope u have a great experience [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

ironpo    2,764

Assume this was hawaiin. Is that each leg? Ie aus to hon then hon to kona or is it just for the whole journey in either direction?

Bike is $100 each way during IM

No way around it

$50 each way any other time

Cheers

Ivp

RunBrettRun    1,362

Is there any bike carrying companys here in australia that will take your bike over to Kona? Or have they all shut down?

ironpo    2,764

Congratulations.

If you want a car. Hire it tonight. They all get rented.

Fly with tri travel. They will save you $400 in bike fees that others pay. Or they did when i went.

Book acc with wifi

Get your undies now for undie run

Yes make sure your condo has wifi

Unlike oz most places in Kona do anyway

Maybe fly with tri travel but don't book your accoum with them, there mark up is way over the top

Cheers

Ivp

ironpo    2,764

Is there any bike carrying companys here in australia that will take your bike over to Kona? Or have they all shut down?

Don't think so

RunBrettRun    1,362

Don't think so

I remember there was a few a couple not so long ago or were they only aus based races?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Peter    1,562

Bike is $100 each way during IM

No way around it

$50 each way any other time

Cheers

Ivp

Each leg when i did the half.

$100 syd to honolulu

$100 hono to kona

Same back.

Agree tritravel rip you on accommodation but the whole tour they provided for the first time athlete in kona is pretty good and I recommend it

If i was to go a second time id do it myself.

But the dinners. Lunches. Breakfast. Transports run and rides are pretty good as IP could confirm.

ironpo    2,764

And book tonight asap - walking distance to the King Kamehameha Hotel is what you need as that is registration, carbo, race start, preso etc.

This

And it's freaking hot so good to get there ten days before espually if your coming from a southern state

Also the hawain people and culture is just majic , so it's a good thing if you do alittle research into the big island , it will be worth it

Hire a bike to around town or better buy one from Walmart for $80 and just leave it at the local church on alli drive when u leave

Also leave any left over food there, when you leave ,they really appreciate it

Shop at Safeway , at the top of palani hill, make sure u get a members card as it saves you lots ,check in your condo as a Lot of condos have a Safeway members card in them for the guests to use

Things is Kona is pretty expensive so make sure u have plenty of spending monie

Sometimes works out cheaper to eat out , but u have to tip at least 10% but most are asking 15-20% now ,also the closer to race day the place gets pretty hectic

One thing to remember when booking accom is that pRking in Kona town is pretty much zero on race day (at most of the other time) so it's better to walk or ride into town

Cheers

Ivp

Peter    1,562

Yeah what ip said.

I got there 7 days before and it wasn't enough and i was only doing it for fun.

Its hot and coming from melb it almost killed me.

Then again i went on the piss to3 different parties plus the carbo in the 5 days before. Mind you ruley attended all of the with me and he went alright.

Charlesn    192

Mungo,

Others may have different opinions, but to experience the full vibe, stay close to town. This way you walk out of your front door and the whole ironman thing is all around you - triathletes, expos, promos, legends, media, fans, rego, pre race events, finish line and awards ceremony.

I stayed at the King Kam once and out of town once. It's a pain driving into town rather than just walking. When I was out of town I still got a last minute room at the King Kam on race day so I could shower, dress and wander out to eat and watch the finish. As well, this allows the family to hang out at the pool and access the wireless anywhere in the grounds on race day.

Expo, Pro press conference, rego, NBC media types all use the King Kam as their base.

Now you don't need to stay at the King Kam to experience all this, but close by is the key.

If you do stay here, you can get a room overlooking the ocean, which as a result still overlooks Dig Me beach and the transition area/ pier. Waking up on race morn you'll see the lights on the pier come on as the volunteers prep everything from about 2am. It'll take you 5 minutes to wander down, and back up if u need to.

Old hands would stay elsewhere, for peace and quiet and better mental prep, but as you've stated you are there for the experience, forget the race day prep ... you want to see Welchie in your foyer, Babbit, The Grip, Raelert, Dave Scott, right!?

Rooms are not expensive and should still be available. Like I said, I got 1 on race day night and booked it 2 days prior.

Other thing, you isaid you ntend to get there early. The week or 2 weeks prior is a constant buzz. A few too many super fit beings, hairless and without fat is a bit intimidating, but most of them aren't even in the race. The whole lovely little town is all about ironman though and that's what you'll like. The week after most are gone, and the cruise ships come in, which is a bit like being back in the real world. So my advice go nice and early, hang in town, and afterwards head off and do something else.

Re cars: don't go too big. I got a Suburban (maybe Chevy?) which was about 3m wide and 6m long. It was ridiculous. I felt I was going to run cyclist over, I dinged the front and back, in 2 different accidents where I couldn't see what was near me, and I got when I just left it in the carpark they asked me to move it because it was blocking the way. 2nd time Chevy convertible, much more fun and slightly more practical. They have plenty of cars at the airport, even when you arrive, but if booking a company called 'Dollar ...' something was about the cheapest

• Like 2

Mjainoz    1,034

I bought a bike in Kona. Pre a trip. Was a great price and yep IVP it was a cervelo).

Hey Mungo. How far did roll down go?

And what impact did the Japanese slots have (sorry for thread derail - I'm in your AG FYI)