Niseko

Islam

Niseko    745

I don't think we have a thread just on general Islam and it's place in the modern world. Hopefully to keep it on issue and not make it personal, because this is possibly the most important issue of our times and we will be dealing with it for a few generations to come.

I don't mean to just discuss terrorism, Islamism, radical Islam, more main-stream middle of the road Islam and whether it can fit into modern day western, civilised society?

Considering there are 12 Muslim countries where the state law is that homosexuality is punishable by death, and about 120 million people live under this law, does mainstream Islam have a problem with the way they treat homosexuals? Or is a Christian baker saying that they’d rather not cater a lesbian wedding equally as bad?

Does Islam have a problem with it's treatment of females? Or are they as free as women in the west and Muslims just taking better care of their women to make sure they do not feel uncomfortable, by making sure they are never exposed and on their own?

Anyone game?

Niseko    745

I was thinking people would be too afraid to be called an Islamaphobe or racist to comment, so it'd probably just sit untouched for a month.

Edited by Niseko
  • Like 1

MountainMan    906

The fact that a Dutch women can be arrested, found guilty, fined and deported for adultery because she was raped tells me the Qatari Islamic government have a major problem concerning their treatment of women, everywhere.

There should be sanctions and trade restrictions placed on countries with gross human rights violations like these. These governments and the people that form them are a global f'ing disgrace, the countries that tolerate and do business with them are little better.

• Like 3

IronJimbo    489

It's been said that there are moderate Muslims, but there is no moderate Islam

The problem is that the 'but Christians kill people too' brigade refuse to recognise that while Christianity has evolved over the past couple of millennia, Islam has not

Flame away...

• Like 1

XCOM!    143

because this is possibly the most important issue of our times and we will be dealing with it for a few generations to come.

Oh good... I'm glad we've got that climate thing sorted out then.

• Like 1

Niseko    745

Oh good... I'm glad we've got that climate thing sorted out then.

Climate thing may or may not take a few thousand years to wipe us out. Islam is a far more pressing problem.

Esoteric    514

It's been said that there are moderate Muslims, but there is no moderate Islam

The problem is that the 'but Christians kill people too' brigade refuse to recognise that while Christianity has evolved over the past couple of millennia, Islam has not

Flame away...

The Holocaust...

Stolen generation...

Slavery...

Just saying, us white middle classed people have short memories.

XCOM!    143

So is Islam the problem, or religion in general?

People are the problem. Religion is just the excuse.

• Like 1

Niseko    745

A common defence of Islam is comparing it with KKK, or other religions, or putting the blame on 'man'.

But Islam says it is the last and final religious solutions. And it preaches to its followers to take over of the world. Although all religions are the same in their level of falseness, christianity never made such claims.

It just needs a cursory glance at the news to see which is the most toxic in modern day.

Edited by Niseko

Cottoneyes    752

Hope your doing your bit Niseko and eating a pulled pork burger from KFC. Enough of those babies and we can get them to pull their halal certification forever

IronJimbo    489

There is no doubt that Islam is over-represented

Appeasement didn't work in the 1930s, and it's not working now

Esoteric    514

A common defence of Islam is comparing it with KKK, or other religions, or putting the blame on 'man'.

But Islam says it is the last and final religion, and preaches take over of the world. Although all religions are the same in their level of falseness, christianity never made such claims and it just needs a nursery glance at the news to see which is the most toxic in modern day.

Is that because Christianity is hidden in news reporting? You don't hear, a Christian man today raped a young lady..

And you're telling me the 'majority' of criminals in Australia are not Christian? I'm calling BS all day.

PLUS, Christianity has NEVER attempted to take over the world? I'm assuming you didn't take history at school.

Go vote Trump and stop this ridiculous crusade (that word may ring a bell on this topic).

Niseko    745

Is that because Christianity is hidden in news reporting? You don't hear, a Christian man today raped a young lady..

And you're telling me the 'majority' of criminals in Australia are not Christian? I'm calling BS all day.

PLUS, Christianity has NEVER attempted to take over the world? I'm assuming you didn't take history at school.

Go vote Trump and stop this ridiculous crusade (that word may ring a bell on this topic).

It's fine good discussion.

I did not say Christianity had never attempted to take over the word. And I meant to stress we are talking about current day.

In its first 100 years Islam was quite productive. And the Catholic Church terribly toxic during the same period and longer.

But I'm talking about the present and future.

I said it was never preached in the text. And the Crusades were in response to Muslims expanding Nazi like actions on Christians - forcing them to wear stars on their chest, cross to the other side of the road if a Muslim was walking on the same side etc.

I'm not sure what filters goes through mainstream media but I doubt they are stopping christians flying planes into buildings or bombings or mass shootings based on religion. Maybe there have been?

And yes the majority of criminal activity in Aus (and US) are done by Christians, but we are very fortunate in Aus to have Muslim population at less than 2%. If it was 40% like Marseille, then I'd wager the majority of crimes would be conducted by Muslims.

Edited by Niseko

IronJimbo    489

We are discussing the over-representation of Muslims in terrorist acts here Esoteric

If you want to talk about crime in general, start another thread

Niseko    745

The fact that a Dutch women can be arrested, found guilty, fined and deported for adultery because she was raped tells me the Qatari Islamic government have a major problem concerning their treatment of women, everywhere.

There should be sanctions and trade restrictions placed on countries with gross human rights violations like these. These governments and the people that form them are a global f'ing disgrace, the countries that tolerate and do business with them are little better.

I grew up with restrictions on South Africa for apartheid, without really understanding why and how. But now I wonder do women in Islamic countries have more or less rights than blacks under apartheid?

And if the suppression of female rights in Islamic countries was based on skin colour rather than gender and justified by religion, would the international community have been so tolerant?

Edited by Niseko

Esoteric    514

We are discussing the over-representation of Muslims in terrorist acts here Esoteric

If you want to talk about crime in general, start another thread

The definition of terrorist act has changed in our media to drive this division. Many military actions by the West could be considered terrorist acts under traditional definitions.

trilobite    89

There's no denying a strong correlation between faith and many of the recent mass attacks (eg I'm not aware of any Buddist groups who have recently claimed responsibility for similar acts)..

IronJimbo    489

The definition of terrorist act has changed in our media to drive this division. Many military actions by the West could be considered terrorist acts under traditional definitions.

Yeah yeah, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter

If you can't present your argument without redefining the topic though, what does that suggest about it's strength?

XCOM!    143

I'm sure that Bosnian Muslims can see the truth in Christians being more civilized.

The reality is that mankind has always been waging war on itself.

It's the mode, excuses and reporting that have changed over time - we are still the same xenophobic, self-righteous, murderous species we've always been.

Now we have idiots like Trump actually talking up "tactical nuclear strikes" as being a survivable option for dealing with ISIS.

• Like 2

Parkside    731

Yeah yeah, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter

If you can't present your argument without redefining the topic though, what does that suggest about it's strength?

and every unstable mentally ill wacko with a gun now becomes a terrorist. Biggest straw man ever. Man Monis was a lunatic way before anyone had ever seen a black flag.

Trump will build a wall and ban Muslims, that should stop all the mass killings for sure.

Edited by Parkside