hacq1

HFLC ruined my life......

Are you hangry??[emoji1][emoji1]

Just having a crack at a mate whos trying to stir the pot lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ahh the old gifted card.

Thanks for the laugh

I wish i could take the same approach as you and KQ. Unfortunately I had to make a lot of changes to my training, eating and mindset to get my ticket. Diet and mindset were what had the greatest impact on results.

You're lucky if its not an issue for you. Talking down to those who do need to work on these areas though, do you get a kick out of it?

• Like 2

Just having a crack at a mate whos trying to stir the pot lol

Yeah cool

I was just poking you that maybe your hflc life is leaving you unsatisfied and hangry [emoji14][emoji1][emoji1]

What?!? You weighed 57kg? You must be either small in height or ... I'm 5 foot (and half an inch) and weigh the same. I could do with losing a little, but fat I am not! Can not fathom thi!

I am 173cm tall

Here

55kg - http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/garwood3000/media/MMAU0676_zps0kvzp42a.jpg.html

57kg - http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/garwood3000/media/218058_10150147889572015_7278365_n_zpsxblhiumt.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/garwood3000/media/188407_10150143448532015_5844747_n_zpsd0icgkzk.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4

I wish i could take the same approach as you and KQ. Unfortunately I had to make a lot of changes to my training, eating and mindset to get my ticket. Diet and mindset were what had the greatest impact on results.

You're lucky if its not an issue for you. Talking down to those who do need to work on these areas though, do you get a kick out of it?

Looking at your running ability and the path to get the KQ, do you think that change in diet was the principal driver of the KQ.

Or was it getting better on the bike.

Looking at the time it took you to get to KQ you look talented

Edited by BarryBevan
  • Like 1

Honestly Barry my training since Cairns last year has been so hit and missdue to a number of reasons. I have trained consistantly but nowhere near as much as previously. I work fkn hard for what I achieve, I give up a lot to get to where I want and I have no doubt diet played a massive role in that.

I went into sunny coast last year with about 4 weeks training after having a good rest after cairns. There is no way I should have done the time I did. The only thing I changed is diet. After that race my mindset changed, I believed I could achieve a kq and I worked really hard fine tuning things with Peter to get my nutrition and raceday fueling as good as I could. It worked for me.

I know a lot of people who will give up alcohol during a big race prep. But they wont give up sugar and carbs. To me its the same thing.

• Like 2

Honestly Barry my training since Cairns last year has been so hit and missdue to a number of reasons. I have trained consistantly but nowhere near as much as previously. I work fkn hard for what I achieve, I give up a lot to get to where I want and I have no doubt diet played a massive role in that.

I went into sunny coast last year with about 4 weeks training after having a good rest after cairns. There is no way I should have done the time I did. The only thing I changed is diet. After that race my mindset changed, I believed I could achieve a kq and I worked really hard fine tuning things with Peter to get my nutrition and raceday fueling as good as I could. It worked for me.

I know a lot of people who will give up alcohol during a big race prep. But they wont give up sugar and carbs. To me its the same thing.

I have no doubt you gave up a lot that is part of performing at that level. You are a bit more talented than maybe you claim to be, problem with talented people is they tend to b humble and don't realise how good they are.

In that Port IM you did 3:12 of a 5:40 and change bike.

At Carins the bike time dropped to below 5:30 with a good marathon

At NZ you had low 5 bike and super slick run

That is a steady progression over three IM that most would not be able to achieve, noting that many won't make the sacrifices you have.

Now you know you much better than a faceless keyboard warrior, but looking at that progression I would bet most of the improvement came from bike training and or bike execution with diet a minor factor.

• Like 1

I have no doubt you gave up a lot that is part of performing at that level. You are a bit more talented than maybe you claim to be, problem with talented people is they tend to b humble and don't realise how good they are.

He's actually not that talented. I once beat him in a Gatorade race which included a mechanical to this day is unmatched. Therefore I would tend to agree with Brett in the fact he is far from gifted, and true hard work has got him to where he currently is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahh the old gifted card.

Thanks for the laugh

It's true though LB

There is no doubt u worked as hard or harder than anyone else to get to kona but unless you don't have good genetics that suit long course tris (and have the drive and brains to use them)then there is no chance of a KQ no matter how hard some might try

I could give you and another not so gifted athlete the exact same program to follow and you will always be faster and get a higher result

Cheers

Ivp

Â

In that Port IM you did 3:12 of a 5:40 and change bike.Â

Â

At Carins the bike time dropped to below 5:30 with a good marathon

Â

At NZ you had low 5 bike and super slick run

Â

That is a steady progression over three IM that most would not be able to achieve, noting that many won't make the sacrifices you have.

Â

Now you know you much better than a faceless keyboard warrior, but looking at that progression I would bet most of the improvement came from bike training and or bike execution with diet a minor factor.

Don't forget he drafted his arse off in NZ.

• Like 3

How's stating what I eat what I want and don't use a coach talking down to people? Just pointing out there's more to it than hclf,

Have you any idea my diet? Just because I eat what I want doesn't mean I eat crap( depending on your view).

What makes you fell that you earned your ticket more than I did? Pretty arrogant statement to say you wish you could take the same approach as me.

You stated you had to change your training to get to Kona. I'd never even trained for the sport before, didn't come from a cycling, running or swimming background.

There's a few people get lucky going to Kona, but I think you'll find your not that special in having to work at it. Congrats to you, but don't think it was a gift to the rest if us.

Edited by lzbones

HFLC is interesting though, over the years I have stuck with meat/fish three veg. With pasta only once a week in a spag bol or mac n cheese, not through an diet motive, just did not want it more than that.

Breakfast for convienience have always been weetbix, though I have been doing bacon and eggs more.just a hassle.

Lunch I like vegetable soups and left overs if I have any. I did go through a pahse for ten years having rump steak and egg for lunch.

Potatoes are awesome though

Potatoes are awesome though

I think I need a T shirt with that printed on it

Cheers

Ivp

This thread has made it to 5 pages...

Sad.

If spuds keep coming up it will go for 20 pages

Cheers

Ivp

It's true though LB

There is no doubt u worked as hard or harder than anyone else to get to kona but unless you don't have good genetics that suit long course tris (and have the drive and brains to use them)then there is no chance of a KQ no matter how hard some might try

I could give you and another not so gifted athlete the exact same program to follow and you will always be faster and get a higher result

Cheers

Ivp

Yep genetics helps for sure. But look at far off many of our ag kq times are from pro times our own age. Where hardly elite. Sure there's a pool of people that due to genetics or lifestyle choices won't get there but that pool is a lot smaller than people think

Mmmm

Spuds and butter

Cheers

Ivp

Mashed. With mashed pumpkin and butter. Peas corn zuchini capsicum broccoli and steak.

Perfect

• Like 3

Mashed. With mashed pumpkin and butter. Peas corn zuchini capsicum broccoli and steak.

Perfect

Love it

This thread has made it to 5 pages...

Sad.

And u keep adding to it so on behalf of those that don't GAF I'd like to say thanks [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regardless of performance improvement or how hard it is to stick to, people should be aware of the risks associated with diets low in fat and high in carbs.

Especially endurance athletes as through slick marketing and following from pros or coaches (who often are keeping sponsors happy) we are lead to believe we need a gel or power every time we do a session.

The more I understand about diet and endurance sport, the more I see that fuelling triathlon with carbs is very unhealthy.

Which is ironic as triathletes often have a bit of a superiority complex when it comes to health.

Just look at what happened to John Hill and the raft of other triathletes with heart and other problems getting sick, injured and unwell while supposedly the healthiest people in society.

Seems there is more evidence to support high intensity exercise, coupled with HFLC for health and fat loss than endurance sports.

Everyone has talent but not everyone can use it. Without hard work talent is wasted

This is so true. I was a short course athlete that everyone said would never handle distance. Then when I did well they said it was genetics (my whole family was good at various sports).

That was bullshit. My whole family were raised on sports. School holidays weren't playing video games like today. We had street olympics in the front yard with all the locals competing. We ran or rode everywhere. When we started competing, it was just an extension of what we'd been doing for years.

Look at most gifted 20 year olds, and you'll find they were a VERY active 5 year old, that never stopped.

• Like 1

Ex-Hasbeen you're on the money there.

Nieseko, the heart problems of some former athletes were brought on by either a genetic condition, a pre-existing condition or undertaking strenuous training while sick. Eating carbs doesn't lead to heart problems,

You may not have meant for your post to say that, but that's how it reads.

What happened to John Hill?

Blocked artery I think. Pretty sure he got a stent and now OK.

What happened to John Hill?

Fittest and healthiest 55 year old man in Australia almost died from a vanilla heart attack.

. Eating carbs doesn't lead to heart problems,

You may not have meant for your post to say that, but that's how it reads.

I did indeed mean my post to read like that.

Because maltodexterin (sugar) certainly does cause heart attacks and is worse for your general health than cigarettes.

John Hill was not an 'ex-athlete' and his condition was not genetic, 'pre-existing' or cause by over-training or training while sick. It was your regular, blocked carotid artery heart attack that we prefer to put down to the sufferer being fat and lazy.

Because the reality is an uncomfortable truth.

Which is that sugar and grains do cause heart problems, regardless of how much exercise you do and that eating saturated fat reduces blockage of the arteries. Eat a lot of sugar and grains and avoid healthy fats and you're at high risk of suffering some sort of health problem. And that sugar and grains also cause cancer, dementia, arthritis, epilepsy, stroke, obesity, type 2 diabetes, MS and a whole lot more health conditions that we are just beginning to understand.

Fast forward the clock 100 years and our understanding of what is and isn't healthy will be vastly different than it is today. And the focus will be on avoiding sugar and grains. Not on exercise, vegetables and calories like it is today.

Wait for the government advice and accepted norms to change at your peril.

If your beliefs on what is and isn't healthy are not challenged by one of your supposed 'health heroes' being afflicted by the same 'lifestyle' diseases that we normally associate with obese patients then what will?

These are not 'lifestyle' diseases.

They are diseases of diet.

Edited by Niseko

Nieseko, not sure what you mean my health heroes. I don't have any of those and didn't post about one. I made the comment about how your post read and now that you've explained that was your intent, then fine I understand what you're getting at. I think your comments are a bit over the top but that's just my opinion.

I wasn't talking about you in particulars when I wrote 'you'. I was meaning all triathletes (and humans) and did not mean it to come across as a personal attack.

IMO the misconception you raised is one of the most important of our times and needs to be challenged strongly.

It's just that triathletes in general think that we are so healthy and awesome, and the fastest triathletes even more so. A triathlon is almost seen as a race of who is the healthiest.

ÃÃÃÃÃÂ

But seeing what happened to John Hill and others maybe the ability to do endurance sports at a high level is not such an accurate indicator of health.

Edited by Niseko

Niseko, I know I asked you this before but I can't remember the answer. How do sort your nutrition for an IM, do you do the race mainly on protein or just suck down the carbs for races only?

My wife is another example Niseko. Very fit, but loves her bread/grains, had to have surgery for a blocked artery in her leg....though she does also have terrible genetics in her family for high cholesterol. But perhaps the high carbs just accelerate the blockage problem?

And maybe endurance exercise is also inflammatory?

In addition, I had a Dr on here in a PM tell me endurance sports rot your bones through sweating and calcium depletion.

Funny old world eh. Sometimes you need to follow your own intuition and figure it out for yourself.

• Like 1

Nisecko, fair enough mate. Yep agree about challenging things bit. It's how we grow and move forward. But moderation should be part of that. The problem most people have is they go too far on any new diet idea. A bit of everything in a balanced diet.

How's stating what I eat what I want and don't use a coach talking down to people? Just pointing out there's more to it than hclf,

Have you any idea my diet? Just because I eat what I want doesn't mean I eat crap( depending on your view).

What makes you fell that you earned your ticket more than I did? Pretty arrogant statement to say you wish you could take the same approach as me.

You stated you had to change your training to get to Kona. I'd never even trained for the sport before, didn't come from a cycling, running or swimming background.

There's a few people get lucky going to Kona, but I think you'll find your not that special in having to work at it. Congrats to you, but don't think it was a gift to the rest if us.

Give me a break.

You're constantly going on about people who don't follow your regime. Telling people they dont need to wear a wetsuit cause you and your gf dont. Please tell me again how good she swam i can't recall from the 30 or so times you have already spewed it onto the site.

Then you make a comment basically saying gee not sure why you guys bother with any of this when I didnt need to.

Ok so LZ has no need for a wetsuit, a coach or any diet plan. Awesome well done champ.

I am in no way saying I earnt anything more than you but you're constantly making remarks talking down on people who do utilise other things.

I have no doubt you worked fkn hard to achieve you're spot, everyone does in different ways. The end result is what matters and noone gives a shit if you can do it without a wetsuit coach or diet plan.

Telling people who do use a coach or a "different" diet that "gee i didnt need that", is that arrogant?

• Like 1

If carbs and sugar are soooooo bad why do people rely on them during a race?

Theres a huge differene between how a body reacts to sugars when exercising and when not. Insulin, blood glucose, that sort of basic stuff

Wow so carbs and sugar are important to athletic performance?

feed them bacon and eggs at aid stations see how that works out

feed them bacon and eggs at aid stations see how that works out

I'd never finish - I'd pull over sit down with the newspaper and scoff down bacon and eggs with a couple of large flat whites - heck almost enough to tempt me to do an IM

• Like 3

If carbs and sugar are soooooo bad why do people rely on them during a race?

It's a good question and have been thinking about that myself for a while. There is some benefits to glucose when exercising at high intensity.

On the other hand you could say if sugar is a harmless treat why does it rot your teeth?

I did indeed mean my post to read like that.

Because maltodexterin (sugar) certainly does cause heart attacks and is worse for your general health than cigarettes.

John Hill was not an 'ex-athlete' and his condition was not genetic, 'pre-existing' or cause by over-training or training while sick. It was your regular, blocked carotid artery heart attack that we prefer to put down to the sufferer being fat and lazy.

Because the reality is an uncomfortable truth.

Which is that sugar and grains do cause heart problems, regardless of how much exercise you do and that eating saturated fat reduces blockage of the arteries. Eat a lot of sugar and grains and avoid healthy fats and you're at high risk of suffering some sort of health problem. And that sugar and grains also cause cancer, dementia, arthritis, epilepsy, stroke, obesity, type 2 diabetes, MS and a whole lot more health conditions that we are just beginning to understand.

Fast forward the clock 100 years and our understanding of what is and isn't healthy will be vastly different than it is today. And the focus will be on avoiding sugar and grains. Not on exercise, vegetables and calories like it is today.

Wait for the government advice and accepted norms to change at your peril.

If your beliefs on what is and isn't healthy are not challenged by one of your supposed 'health heroes' being afflicted by the same 'lifestyle' diseases that we normally associate with obese patients then what will?

These are not 'lifestyle' diseases.

They are diseases of diet.

I agree completely with this. One of the biggest myths is LCHF causes high cholesterol which in turn will make you get heart disease and or heart attack. This podcast with one of Australia's leading experts on the topic is excellent.

http://thewellnesscouch.com/rfr/rfr-72-cholesterol-fats-and-the-impact-of-lchf-on-your-pathology-with-ken-sikaris

• Like 1