hacq1

HFLC ruined my life......

I'm what most people would consider HFLC but I also consider it balanced. I guess it's all relative but I'm going on 3.5 years now.

I still eat plenty of carbs by way of vegetables and a bit of fruit, but way fewer carbs than the average joe scoffing cakes and sandwiches at work, biscuits and chips as a snack and potato/rice/pasta most nights for dinner.

I'm not trying to convert anyone, just offering the option that lowering carbs and increasing fat doesn't necessarily mean being unbalanced, just a bit more selective.

:)

This would sum our eating up

Nothing to serious just less carbs and not worried about fat

I agree when we look at being super strict HFLC it looks to unsustainable and would take ALOT more time to prepare

Also IMO the diet itself would look to be a bigger hit on the environment ,,and would also mean lots more animals would die if the whole world went strict HFLC

The whole world needs to drop its addiction to sugar though

Cheers

Ivp

• Like 1

getting off it might ruin your life more. There is a study out where eating heaps of quality fats increases your sex drive astronomically.

Go back to the low fat way and you'll never shag your wife again.

I think strict is suppose to be under 30 grams a day . 50grams for not so strict

This is a ketogenic approach. There is no need to go so low unless you get diagnosed as pre-diabetic. Then do it shorter term until everything is under control again.

I personally went and had some metabolic testing. Worked out baseline energy requirements and add 800cals (approx) per hour.

Then basically ate at 65% Fat, 20% Protein 15% carbs. Have your carbs post training. If it is intense training then have some complex carbs like bananas sweet potato even rice if you need to. If you have a rest day then back off the carbs more.

Don't be a Nazi on yourself when there is a social function. Have cake, beer or whatever your vice is. But doing it long term isn't hard at all.

• Like 2

If you're doing it right you dont have to monitor. The Vespa ofm method utilises carbs a lot more than a strict hflc diet (meant for people who dont excercise) and encourages people to get a feel for what works for them. Stressing about carb intake is where a lot of people fall off.

Ive bee dealing with Peter Defty who has alot of experience working along side some of the top guys on hflc around the world.

He has suggested the use of rice and sweet potatoes at different times when I need to push beyond the aerobic zone for harder sessions.

When you're in the zone you make it work and its easy. There is no stress.

So you're saying low fat = low fat :)

• Like 2

I was thinking after this weekend, no more updates to the Cranky Update thread.. but what if she qualifies for Kona? If she does I'm moving to Slowtwitch.

I would've thought that feeding someone's need for attention would get tired after a while but apparently not!

Worked out baseline energy requirements and add 800cals (approx) per hour.

????

Can you expand on this - I'm imagining something around 22,000 calories a day

Thats while excercising you'll probably find. Also with metabolic testing he would have worked out that he might use 600cal of fat stored in his body so he needs to top up with 200 cal of gels. Im assuming based on an ironman race pace effort

getting off it might ruin your life more. There is a study out where eating heaps of quality fats increases your sex drive astronomically.

Is it wrong to eat straight from the butter container??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

????

Can you expand on this - I'm imagining something around 22,000 calories a dayIf I do nothing I need 2200 cals in a day to maintain weight. However when you start eating more fat it quickly adds up @ 9cals per gram compared to 4cals / gr in carbs. But the age old calorie in V calorie out line in terms of eating so so far from the truth. You soon rea

If I have a rest day then I should consume 2200 cals per day. If you consume more fats it will satisfy you more then carbs will. You could consume a heap more food on a low fat diet if you specifically look at calories, but the Calorie in V Calorie out approach has proven itself to be very wrong.

And exactly what RBR said. I know how many cals each hour I will need to consume in glycogen in a race at specific intensity levels.

There is a new acronym on the block. JERF = Just Eat Real Food. Personally I am happy if it is always left of centre in terms of eating as it will remain cheaper then if the masses catch on.

Shit no. I spread butter on cheese if I get stuck for an option at work.

• Like 1

Most important is people understand what is and what isn't healthy/good/fattening food.

For the last 40 years we've been misled and thought we were making good food choices when we weren't.

These mistakes in dietary advice makes HFLC harder to stick to as food companies and vendors are often still misled and don't provide healthy food.

I was in South Africa last year and thanks to Noakes Cape Town has "Banting" (LCHF) food everywhere. It's really easy to stick to.

Am currently in France and with the baguettes and croissants it is somewhat more difficult :smile1::wine:

I don't find it hard to skip pasta (little known fact: past is one of the lamest foods on the planet), rice, breakfast cereal or sugar. Bread and beer are my achilles heel.

Edited by Niseko

Personally I am happy if it is always left of centre in terms of eating as it will remain cheaper then if the masses catch on.Â

Plus the performance gains on race day when you up the carbs gives you a massive advantage over the masses. Like Peter says to me, using concentrated carbs on race day like a legal PED.

Plus the performance gains on race day when you up the carbs gives you a massive advantage over the masses. Like Peter says to me, using concentrated carbs on race day like a legal PED.

You certainly get this if you train on minimal carbs and then up them big time on race day

Cheers

Ivp

If I have a rest day then I should consume 2200 cals per day. If you consume more fats it will satisfy you more then carbs will. You could consume a heap more food on a low fat diet if you specifically look at calories, but the Calorie in V Calorie out approach has proven itself to be very wrong.

This is what gets me

How much time do you take working out how much u should or shouldnt eat and of what

I have no idea how much I eat per day (or what a calorie is)

I just eat what I want and the amount I think I need or can get away with

Seems to work ok for us

Cheers

Ivp

There is a new acronym on the block. JERF = Just Eat Real Food. Personally I am happy if it is always left of centre in terms of eating as it will remain cheaper then if the masses catch on.

This is more me

Cheers

Ivp

Love butter

Nothing better MMMMMMM

It's amazing how many people I try to get onto butter and tell them how bad margarine is but they just don't belive me

Meanwhile they will scoff down three cans of Coke while sitting at there desk all day

Cheers

Ivp

HFLC:

Breakfast - 3 eggs, 6 bacon rashers, 1/2 avo

Lunch - 2 X cans tuna or 2 boiled eggs, nuts to graze on if needed

Dinner - meat and green veges not root veges

Treat - 70% cocoa dark choc, glass of FC milk

Done.

HFLC:

Breakfast - 3 eggs, 6 bacon rashers, 1/2 avo

Lunch - 2 X cans tuna or 2 boiled eggs, nuts to graze on if needed

Dinner - meat and green veges not root veges

Treat - 70% cocoa dark choc, glass of FC milk

Done.

I have that breaky after big sessions

Lunch? I have that but usally in wraps

Dinner is always steak or chick or tuna and veg , lots of green veg but I live on yellow/wax potatoes , sweet spud , carrots, hawain sweet spud, and pumpkin

Usually roasted in olive oil, and or butter

Cheers

Ivp

This is what gets me

How much time do you take working out how much u should or shouldnt eat and of what

I have no idea how much I eat per day (or what a calorie is)

I just eat what I want and the amount I think I need or can get away with

Seems to work ok for us

Cheers

Ivp

Like anything at the start you have to invest a little more effort then it just kicks in. I used My fitness Pal to log foods for about 3 months. When you started doing TRI you used to have to invest more time learning the basics. Then you just did what works. Same with food really. But just like in TRI or life every now and then you need to revisit what you do and see if you can do it better.

It isn't all about Bacon and Eggs. I try for 2 serves of vege per meal. 2 Serves of Fat. 1 serve of protein.

For example breakfast could be.

Ingredients

• 1 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds
  • ½ avocado
  • 150ml organic coconut cream
  • ½ cup frozen organic raspberries
  • 2 cups spinach
  • 2 teaspoons coconut oil
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 serve (30g) Bare Blends WPI or vegan protein
  • 1 tray ice

Method

1. Add water and chia seeds to the blender and let sit for 15 minutes for the chia seeds to go to work.
  2. Add avo, coconut cream, berries, spinach, coconut oil and ice and blend well.
  3. Add cinnamon and protein and blend until thick but smooth.
  4. Pour into a glass or jar and enjoy.
  • Like 1

f840deffcd131d0e0b8ee99005cdda00.jpg

How many calories ?

How much fat?

This my regular Friday nite and or pre race meal

• Like 2

Method

1. Add water and chia seeds to the blender and let sit for 15 minutes for the chia seeds to go to work.
  2. Add avo, coconut cream, berries, spinach, coconut oil and ice and blend well.

1zx43gm.jpg

1. Open a tub of Total Greek Yoghurt

2. smash it

Edited by FatPom

Like anything at the start you have to invest a little more effort then it just kicks in. I used My fitness Pal to log foods for about 3 months. When you started doing TRI you used to have to invest more time learning the basics. Then you just did what works. Same with food really. But just like in TRI or life every now and then you need to revisit what you do and see if you can do it better.

It isn't all about Bacon and Eggs. I try for 2 serves of vege per meal. 2 Serves of Fat. 1 serve of protein.

Ingredients

• 1 cup water
  • ½ avocado
  • 2 cups spinach
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 tray ice
Method

• Add water and chia seeds to the blender and let sit for 15 minutes for the chia seeds to go to work.
  • Add avo, coconut cream, berries, spinach, coconut oil and ice and blend well.
  • Add cinnamon and protein and blend until thick but smooth.
  • Pour into a glass or jar and enjoy.
Cool

1zx43gm.jpg

1. Open a tub of Total Greek Yoghurt

2. smash it

One word. THERMOMIX. I know it is a cult and all but they rock.

IP depending on what you cook it in about 1000 or so. But I bet you are full for hours.

• Like 1

IP depending on what you cook it in about 1000 or so. But I bet you are full for hours.

Yep

If I race or train the next day after that dinner I sometimes wouldn't "eat" for 18 hrs or longer after this feed

Stomick and Bowles all seem to agree with it

Cheers

Ivp

I just made this pie. Grass fed beef mince with onion asparagus and capsicum and sweet potato mash on top with a heap of fat in it for the "sauce" this is my pre 3 hour fat bike ride meal [emoji6]

e1f00cdb2838a74efd389f4bfb284880.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Steph LOWE is the bomb if you are looking for professional help. She does phone / skype consults if your live anywhere other then Melbourne or your can visit her personally if you live there.

tonight I am having Chicken Parma http://www.thenaturalnutritionist.com.au/clean-chicken-parma/

Expensive to see her

Ingredients

• 1 cup water
  • ½ avocado
  • 2 cups spinach
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 tray ice

Method

approx a $10 smoothie.

Ingredients

• 1 cup water
  • ½ avocado
  • 2 cups spinach
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 tray ice

Method

In the time you've made that, I've got up, got packed for work, fed the animals, and already made it to the local pool and probably halfway through my warm-up.

• Like 2

In the time you've made that, I've got up, got packed for work, fed the animals, and already made it to the local pool and probably halfway through my warm-up.

if you can do that in 2 minutes then good on you. 1 minute of that is blending. I have that about 4 mornings each week so everything is in containers. As mentioned when this style of eating is mentioned it is always met with resistance. Too hard, too long, too expensive. etc etc. Hence why people who eat this way often don't like to contribute as you always get shot down for being too hard etc etc.

Aren't you massively injury prone when running now? I Challenge you to try it, drop the grains, eat a diet low that would result in low inflammation and see what the result are. I truely hope you can ran without pain again and then you could feed the chooks, packed for work and run to the pool.

• Like 3

Expensive to see her

Think I would be $40 out of pocket with private health. Small investment really.

Think I would be $40 out of pocket with private health. Small investment really.

You can just subscribe to her weekly email

Cost Nuffin

Cheers

Ivp

I just made this pie. Grass fed beef mince with onion asparagus and capsicum and sweet potato mash on top with a heap of fat in it for the "sauce" this is my pre 3 hour fat bike ride meal [emoji6] e1f00cdb2838a74efd389f4bfb284880.jpg

Mate you are obviously new to fat biking

You take food like that with you on the fatbike

Cheers

Ivp

You can just subscribe to her weekly email

Cost Nuffin

Cheers

Ivp

and listen to her podcast. Sometimes not super interesting. Others very interesting.

Assuming you can afford private health cover.

I am all for some elements of the eating regime but it definetly is not cheap.

Interesting for me. In 2012 my diet was on average 110g protein 40g fat 350g carbs and weighed 57-58kg

After accident, infection, medication my diet consists of 80g protein, 30g fat, 50-60g carbs on average and weigh 68kg. The medication caused the biggest increase in weight and damaged my liver backed by blood tests. Ever since i am rarely hungry and really just eat cause i think i have to.

Also the cost of things has increased a lot so basically keep things to a minimum.

IMO the HFLC is the rich person diet

About time there was some life bought back into this place. Well done people

You can say that again.

Actually. You did ! ;)

FB ive found the opposite. Lunch is now more like a snack. I dont snack either. Dinner is half the size it used to be. Breakfast is bigger but overall my shopping bill is much less.

Interesting thread. Some good ideas, I like the energy some folks have for the HFLC. I use some of the ideas but a slight food intolerance and a sheer hatred of avocado means I will never be the poster boy for HFLC. :-)

Probably the most striking result I've seen has been former IMA commentator from the early days, Peter Beckerleg. PB was a radio jock back then and weighed in around the 100+ kgs. Prior to being a big fat guy, Pete used to compete in tri's and was one of the pioneers of the sport in Victoria back in the early 80's.

I hadn't seen PB for several years until last November when he turned up to our 1980s triathletes reunion race. He weighs in around 75 kgs and is back on the bike. Good on him and he owes it to the HFLC diet.

Interesting for me. In 2012 my diet was on average 110g protein 40g fat 350g carbs and weighed 57-58kg

What?!? You weighed 57kg? You must be either small in height or ... I'm 5 foot (and half an inch) and weigh the same. I could do with losing a little, but fat I am not! Can not fathom this

What?!? You weighed 57kg? You must be either small in height or ... I'm 5 foot (and half an inch) and weigh the same. I could do with losing a little, but fat I am not! Can not fathom this

Mrs FP is the same height and weighs 48kg. She eats anything and everything but very little processed food. (except chocolate eclairs!)

• Like 1

Aren't you massively injury prone when running now? I Challenge you to try it, drop the grains, eat a diet low that would result in low inflammation and see what the result are. I truely hope you can ran without pain again and then you could feed the chooks, packed for work and run to the pool.

This is the most interesting bit of the thread for me. I've cut down on some carbs a fair bit over the past 4yrs (esp bread, processed junk, sugar) but still eat gluten-free wheatbix for brekky, brown rice or brown rice and quinoa. Maybe I should lose some of those other carbs too - though I'd really miss my GF wheatbix!

Weight was 62-63kg when racing and training 8-14hrs/wk. Now only doing moderate exercise for maybe 4-5hrs/week and weight is.....63kg?

Rog diet is part of the process. To me it is as important as getting a good coach and sticking to it is a major part of owning the goal.

People don't give diet the importance it deserves when trying to achieve their goals.

Guess I'm lucky. Been to Kona twice without a coach and eating whatever I want.

• Like 2

Guess I'm lucky. Been to Kona twice without a coach and eating whatever I want.

And never have to wear a wetsuit.....

Some of us arent as gifted and need to do everything we can.

• Like 2

And never have to wear a wetsuit.....

Some of us arent as gifted and need to do everything we can.

Ahh the old gifted card.

Thanks for the laugh

Edited by lzbones
  • Like 1

I feel like you have about the same mental capacity as a tin of tuna if you can't come up with at least half a dozen different lunch options.

Are you hangry??[emoji1][emoji1]