Peter

Thayapura and PEDS program and macca and nick gates

Wow, is this in New Idea or what triathlon has simply become?

It's a great sport to look on when you're four fifths removed from it. Just keeps on giving.....lol

Bet Nick Gates is shitting himself bout now.....or he has great proof. In this day and age you'd be stupid to make slanderous comments without proof!

FFS this stuff shits me. Dopers and those involved with it, love to wave around the litigation threat. We even had Cadel's mate and MBF saying I was about to be sued for saying the truth and bleeding obvious on here a couple of years back. These people think that because they live their life with their head in the sand and are happy to put the part of their brain that conducts critical thinking in a jar beside the bed that everyone should do the same. In their defence, I don't understand how people can be so wilfully ignorant and so easily taken for fools, so I guess it's a similar type of thinking.

Can anyone tell me the last person who was sued successfully for making unsubstantiated doping allegations?? Lance was a classic at that tactic and and his team threatened all day long for decades. But even that sociopath never carried even one of the hundreds of threats he made to court. He settled a few but not one from him went to court - he was avoiding the witness box like the plague same as all guilty people who have been 'slandered' by allegations that are true.

Not that I am defending Gates or saying his actions here are motivated by anything but revenge or CYA. I just doubt he is even a tiny bit concerned by litigation.

I think he's a a typical pro-cyclist who made "THAT" moral leap long ago. They are a dime a dozen. Borderline evil with the morals of a pickpocket who would screw you over in a second if it'd help themselves a little bit. Am not sure what went down with Gates and Thanyapura, but I do know Gates had the cushiest job in the world handed to him on a platter and now gets on his high-horse to try a screw his former employer because he's feeling hard done by. FWIW, I have heard he was pretty crap at his job and couldn't take riding with slow groups so would just take off on group rides and spend all day riding solo.

If he really was morally upset by doping maybe he would have played whistle-blower when he was in the pro peloton and could have made a difference or at least not waited until his salary didn't rely on his complicity.

Edited by Niseko
  • Like 1

If he really was morally upset by doping maybe he would have played whistle-blower when he was in the pro peloton and could have made a difference or at least not waited until his salary didn't rely on his complicity.

Yeah and if his allegations about Thayapura are true, he would have been aware of it long ago, why didn't he say anything at the time?

Reading the statement from Thanyapura I note the words inappropriate behaviour and failing to meet his contractural obligations. Once he truth comes out about these two allegations we will understand Nick Gates actions.

I don't know Gates, don't follow him on Twitter or know what he achieved in cycling (I only know he's a former cyclist from what's on here and maccas last podcast I listened to on Macca X 3 months ago. If his work ethic and social behaviour have brought him grief, it will come out.

Yesterday I made a bit of fun about TriAlliance holding a camp at Thanyapura sometime in the near future. Just a joke, but I understand how it could have negative connotations. I know some of the TriAlliance guys and they do a great job, especially in recent years running free training workshops as part of the Gatorade Tri series here in Melbourne. The training camp they have planned at Thanyapura is great value for money when held up against some of the other training packages offered by other coaching and training groups. I hope their camp is a success.

So can we officially call this THANYA GATE!! .??

I find it hard to believe the clinic at Thayapura ISN'T selling peds. Why wouldn't they? 90% of Thai chemists are legally selling steroids and human growth hormone, why wouldn't the Thayapura clinic? I don't really see a story here to be honest. Just sounds like a bitter employee having one last crack at his ex employer.

• Like 1

Reading the statement from Thanyapura I note the words inappropriate behaviour and failing to meet his contractural obligations. Once he truth comes out about these two allegations we will understand Nick Gates actions.

I don't know Gates, don't follow him on Twitter or know what he achieved in cycling (I only know he's a former cyclist from what's on here and maccas last podcast I listened to on Macca X 3 months ago. If his work ethic and social behaviour have brought him grief, it will come out.

Yesterday I made a bit of fun about TriAlliance holding a camp at Thanyapura sometime in the near future. Just a joke, but I understand how it could have negative connotations. I know some of the TriAlliance guys and they do a great job, especially in recent years running free training workshops as part of the Gatorade Tri series here in Melbourne. The training camp they have planned at Thanyapura is great value for money when held up against some of the other training packages offered by other coaching and training groups. I hope their camp is a success.

So can we officially call this THANYA GATE!! .??

Or perhaps Gatesgate.
  • Like 2

I find it hard to believe the clinic at Thayapura ISN'T selling peds. Why wouldn't they? 90% of Thai chemists are legally selling steroids and human growth hormone, why wouldn't the Thayapura clinic? I don't really see a story here to be honest. Just sounds like a bitter employee having one last crack at his ex employer.

They haven't denied selling steroids have they? I thought they only denied selling illegal stuff

• Like 2

Looks like it's blowing over via the courts.

In what country ? Will a Thai court case that chases an Australian see Gates dragged back to face the Thai courts. ?

I've got no legal idea but my ( ass u me d ) gut feeling is as long as Gates stays outa Thailand he can say what he wants.

Like Macca staying outa Hawaii. ??

• Like 1

In what country ? Will a Thai court case that chases an Australian see Gates dragged back to face the Thai courts. ?

I've got no legal idea but my ( ass u me d ) gut feeling is as long as Gates stays outa Thailand he can say what he wants.

Like Macca staying outa Hawaii. ??

Agree.

Â

They haven't denied selling steroids have they? I thought they only denied selling illegal stuff

What illegal stuff? Unless theyre selling heroin, there's nothing illegal about any of these things theyre allegedly selling.

Â

Yeah and Gates hasn't accused them of selling anything illegal simply said they are selling PEDs which 90% of chemists in Thailand do anyway. So it's a storm in a teacup. There will be no legal action as he hasn't really said anything defamatory and the Thayapura clinic hasn't broken any laws. There is no story other than age groupers taking PEDs which is sad and desperate.

Zed. He said people preparing for the Olympics.

Not sure how many age groupers are going to Brazil to take part.

Zed. He said people preparing for the Olympics.

Not sure how many age groupers are going to Brazil to take part.

Ah yeah forgot that bit!

Wow, is this in New Idea or what triathlon has simply become?

It's a great sport to look on when you're four fifths removed from it. Just keeps on giving.....lol

What did you make of the Cairns Swim Cap-gate unfolding?

What illegal stuff? Unless theyre selling heroin, there's nothing illegal about any of these things theyre allegedly selling.

exactly my point

What did you make of the Cairns Swim Cap-gate unfolding?

The poor precious one didn't like my 'first world problems' in jest joke...ive been unfriended....boo hoo....

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

This is such a rubbish allegation and it really does sound like there is so much more to the story than just this. Nobody seems to know if it is or isn't true, but the availability is irrelevant. As per the ASADA website, you can buy drugs online and apparently you can buy them down the road - if they're stocked everywhere then they must be in demand.

There are lots of top level athletes that train there in what is apparently a world class facility. Why wouldn't you and I really don't see that as anything other than showing dedication to themselves and the sport. I don't believe training in this facility even remotely insinuates any relationship between the athlete and PED's

Likewise there re heaps of age groupers that do the same.

It's not so much that you can or cant get PED's there, even if they are legal in Thailand but illegal for use in sanctioned sport, these things are easily available anywhere.

The question still remains about the athletes integrity and their decision to use or not use PED's if it is illegal in their sport - the responsibility is with the athlete.

Perhaps maybe one day I'll see ASADA doing something at an event and there will a deterrent for those who don't have integrity.

Edited by Slunnie
  • Like 2

This is such a rubbish allegation and it really does sound like there is so much more to the story than just this. Nobody seems to know if it is or isn't true, but the availability is irrelevant. As per the ASADA website, you can buy drugs online and apparently you can buy them down the road - if they're stocked everywhere then they must be in demand.

There are lots of top level athletes that train there in what is apparently a world class facility. Why wouldn't you and I really don't see that as anything other than showing dedication to themselves and the sport. I don't believe training in this facility even remotely insinuates any relationship between the athlete and PED's

Likewise there re heaps of age groupers that do the same.

It's not so much that you can or cant get PED's there, even if they are legal in Thailand but illegal for use in sanctioned sport, these things are easily available anywhere.

The question still remains about the athletes integrity and their decision to use or not use PED's if it is illegal in their sport - the responsibility is with the athlete.

Perhaps maybe one day I'll see ASADA doing something at an event and there will a deterrent for those who don't have integrity.

This is not an allegation. It is a statement of fact by a former senior employee (who knows he may need to explain these comments under oath at some future point).

They do in fact own and run a "wellness and anti-aging clinic" on site that openly dispenses PEDs and provides professional medical oversight and management. These are the facts and they are undisputed.

Saying this is irrelevant in the context of also trying to run an elite sports training facility (catering to professionals, elites and AGers subj to WADA rules) defies logic at every level. Its beyond scandalous. Only those with massively vested interests could concoct that kind of "what conflict " type of defense.

If you had a modicum of concern over your reputation as a pro, elite or AGer athlete you wouldn't remotely contemplate staying there. There is no credible upside to being associated with the place. More than a few pros and teams will be in damage control mode now (or quietly severing ties).

To be sure, there is nothing illegal out about providing PEDs or associated advice or running "anti-aging clinics and the like - there's one on every corner in the USA. Unquantifiable health risks aside, that's cool and simply a personal choice. It just does not work in the context of what Thanyapura is trying to be as a training facility. Playing dumb on this by sticking up a flimsy Chinese wall and offering supply and management of PED programs onsite makes them complicit. Simple as that.

Thanyapura has a hopelessly and unsolvable conflict in their business model and they need to decide which way they go from here. PED clinics and elite training facilities are simply totally incompatible.

They will be/should be abandoned en mass by pros who cannot afford the association. Will be interesting to see who of the elites and others carry on due to it being "world class". Nowhere else to train - right?

• Like 2

Thanyapura has a hopelessly and unsolvable conflict in their business model and they need to decide which way they go from here. PED clinics and elite training facilities are simply totally incompatible.

Totally agree with you there and I'm mystified why Macca would risk his reputation by working there, it's not as if he could say he was unaware. I do know a few top WA triathletes went over there and only stayed 2 days, they were on the next flight out, I don't know the reasons why however. It is a shame, because I think it's a fantastic concept and by the looks of the photos the facilities are awesome, but yeah a sports resort with clinic selling PEDS is not going to work.

An MOP age grouper and fan of the sport. No dog in the fight really. Just a bit insulted by obviously vested interests offering a frankly childish "nothing to see" defense to an untenable situation. I've found in life, most conflicts of interest are actually not "manageable". People who say otherwise are usually making money or other gains out of it.

• Like 2

This is not an allegation. It is a statement of fact by a former senior employee (who knows he may need to explain these comments under oath at some future point).

They do in fact own and run a "wellness and anti-aging clinic" on site that openly dispenses PEDs and provides professional medical oversight and management. These are the facts and they are undisputed.

Saying this is irrelevant in the context of also trying to run an elite sports training facility (catering to professionals, elites and AGers subj to WADA rules) defies logic at every level. Its beyond scandalous. Only those with massively vested interests could concoct that kind of "what conflict " type of defense.

If you had a modicum of concern over your reputation as a pro, elite or AGer athlete you wouldn't remotely contemplate staying there. There is no credible upside to being associated with the place. More than a few pros and teams will be in damage control mode now (or quietly severing ties).

To be sure, there is nothing illegal out about providing PEDs or associated advice or running "anti-aging clinics and the like - there's one on every corner in the USA. Unquantifiable health risks aside, that's cool and simply a personal choice. It just does not work in the context of what Thanyapura is trying to be as a training facility. Playing dumb on this by sticking up a flimsy Chinese wall and offering supply and management of PED programs onsite makes them complicit. Simple as that.

They will be/should be abandoned en mass by pros who cannot afford the association. Will be interesting to see who of the elites and others carry on due to it being "world class". Nowhere else to train - right?

I'm impressed by your emotion, and I stand by my comments.

Personally don't think it is as untenable or shocking as PBO.

Just shock horror media might scare a few off but it's Thailand and PEDS are available anywhere. As they are in the US and all over the world.

• Like 1

And if you're not competing in sport, they aren't PEDS. They're anti-aging supplements/drugs.

Whilst a bad look, it's no worse than AMGEN & the Tour of California. That's a real joke.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1

Well written rant though PBO. Typical Australia these days. Just lay something on a platter for me to be shocked and outraged about and I'll be there with my shocked and outraged hat on in a jiffy.

Will really ramp it up when the buggers start selling and installing hidden bike motors on site - just for recreational and not competitive use mind you. ;-)

Will really ramp it up when the buggers start selling and installing hidden bike motors on site - just for recreational and not competitive use mind you. ;-)

Ah, now that is China's domain! Those things are absolutely everywhere in Beijing where the Olympics was held and mechanical doping is forbidden!

And if you're not competing in sport, they aren't PEDS. They're anti-aging supplements/drugs.

Â

Whilst a bad look, it's no worse than AMGEN & the Tour of California. That's a real joke.

I've said it before and will again.

Not everyone that takes peds wants to go to farkin kona or win their age group.

Some just wants to look good and be fit

I could care less who sells medication, it's the spineless bastards that take it who deserve the anger as I'm fairly sure no one is forced to take PED's.

You could go to your local gym in Australia and be hooked up in no time if you so desired or order online.. hardly shock of the century

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Yeah the whole anti aging thing is pretty interesting.

I'm agnostic on it but the US are all over it. If you want to slow down Father Time seems like you pretty much can.

Just have to compete in hooker banging and not triathlons.

Ive never been there but since this all came to light i have booked in 4 trips before Xmas.

Edited by yoyo

Ive never been there but since this all came to light i have booked in 4 trips before Xmas.

For the hookers or peds?

What's the latest. I need to know.

And what about the Sunny situation..... Will Cranky see Macca in Kona

• Like 2

On Macca's latest podcast he announced that he is leaving Thayapura. No mention of Gates or PEDs. Just that he wants to spend less time in an office and more time with family and training.

On Macca's latest podcast he announced that he is leaving Thayapura. No mention of Gates or PEDs. Just that he wants to spend less time in an office and more time with family and training.

Probably off to Bahrain.

• Like 1

Probably off to Bahrain.

He will chase the money. Tipping he will get more involved with Bahrain & managing the pro team + a lot more work for Challenge Group.

It makes sense.

He will chase the money. Tipping he will get more involved with Bahrain & managing the pro team + a lot more work for Challenge Group.

It makes sense.

Is that so he can hang out with "The Customer" ?

Cheers

Ivp

• Like 1

She's been hanging with Sutton. Not an association I would have expected.

• Like 1

Training camp in the French alps. Living the dream really!

• Like 1

Training camp in the French alps. Living the dream really!

I've seen some pictures of pros training in the alps and it looks idyllic.... in summer. I'd imagine it's freaking cold and or wet for the majority of the year though?

Yeah I've spent a couple of 4 week blocks in Verbier in summer training. Got hypothermia once after descending from the top in late July!

Gets pretty annoying with not a step of flat ground around after a while too.

Just rode Ventoux last week and nearly froze on the descent there too! Because of the tour and history of cycling we have that affinity with climbing and going uphill is great IM training.

The lower areas in Europe are better I reckon did 2 summers at Fuschl Am See in Austria and that is hard to beat as a training base.

Edited by Niseko
  • Like 1