Peter

Important information about Triathlon Australia Membership

It is interesting to compare the insurance policies of TA and Bicycling QLD (BQ) which are provided by the very same company.

The major differences for age groupers are:

Reimbursement for non-Medicare covered injury - TA max. $3K BQ max.$7.5K

Loss of income - TA max. $400 pw for 52 weeks BQ max. $800 pw for 104 weeks

Activity when covered - TA training and racing (some grey areas) BQ 24/7 whenever cycling (but not racing in an event)

Membership for BQ - $99 pa

It is interesting to compare the insurance policies of TA and Bicycling QLD (BQ) which are provided by the very same company.

Reimbursement for non-Medicare covered injury - TA max. $3K BQ max.$7.5K

Loss of income - TA max. $400 pw for 52 weeks BQ max. $800 pw for 104 weeks

Activity when covered - TA training and racing (some grey areas) BQ 24/7 whenever cycling (but not racing in an event)

I've compared these before, and years ago when I questioned TA on it, they said theirs was good value as it covered 3 sports.

Let's hope I don't run into anyone in the pool and injure them.

I've compared these before, and years ago when I questioned TA on it, they said theirs was good value as it covered 3 sports.

Set of paddles in the mouth can mean some pretty expensive dental work.

Since the BQ one is social only, surely a better comparison would be whatever CA\CQ has?

3 sports argument........ like we do them all at once? Or 3 times the time spent training? Would that mean i can get a discount since i train like a womble and havent swum since IMWA?

More like the insurers listened to the cycling groups when they told them triathletes can't ride bikes safely, don't have any bike handling skills, are dangerous to society etc etc etc

We're basically the equivalent in the eyes of the insurers of a 90 year old driver with double cateracts on their way to a quadruple bypass

• Like 1

Our club using Active for our annual presentation night ticket purchase. Initially it didn't work at all, now it just doesn't accept credit cards. I love a stable invoicing/cash management system.

Our club using Active for our annual presentation night ticket purchase. Initially it didn't work at all, now it just doesn't accept credit cards. I love a stable invoicing/cash management system.

Does it accept cash?

Â

Â

Reimbursement for non-Medicare covered injury - TA max. $3KÂ Â Â Â Â BQ max.$7.5K

Â

Loss of income - TA max. $400 pw for 52 weeks     BQ max. $800 pw for 104 weeks

Â

Activity when covered - TAÂ training and racing (some grey areas) Â Â Â Â BQ 24/7 whenever cycling (but not racing in an event)

Â

Yep, makes you wonder how humans in another sport can do that, and that's the shits n giggles social

Cycling one where people are rank amateurs as opposed to "athletes" like triathlon.

I have no idea why cycling can get a better outcome for their members.

Also read the three sport logic..... Just a croc, even TA flogs the one sport mantra..... And let's face it, if the sport doesn't flog one sport, you have three b level at best sports...... And we can't have that.

Not when one day licenses are so pathetically cheap, no there's not. ÃÃÂ My information was that they were dropped to bargain basement prices because RDs in NSW threatened to walk so rather than deal with it properly TA simply folded. ÃÃÂ This may or may not be true, it's just something I was told by a frustrated official.

ÃÃÂ

At the end of the day we as club committees are left trying to sell the benefit of public liability insurance (which is real and significant unless you are otherwise covered) and it's a bloody hard sell, even for those of us with some experience in sales, unless the club is otherwise offering value. ÃÃÂ Most clubs put that in the too hard basket and just blame TA affiliation for the "high" cost of joining a club (i.e. "it's not our fault, TA are the bad ones") which results in responses like those above about being taxed by TA.

ÃÃÂ

Ultimately TA does a really shit job at selling the benefits of being a member and leaves it up to the clubs. ÃÃÂ Lip service is paid to the clubs about the need for healthy clubs (and it's true) but nothing is done at the national level. ÃÃÂ I can't speak for others but the WA association try hard but are limited in what they can do.

Can't believe you said TA does a shit job.... Perhaps you should look at is as opportunity for them to deliver to the member and customer.

I personally think TA are tremendous and it is often hard for people like me being on here defending them and coming up with opportunities for improvement for them to deliver on, but I will continue that defence whilst they are not here engaging with triathletes themselves.

Edited by Oompa Loompa

13 hours ago, skinnee said:

Anymore laughing?

Not from me, like so many others, I just didn’t re join.

In my opinion, the goose was cooked the moment they brought in compulsory membership as other sports were moving away from that concept and whilst that has been proven with last financial years membership numbers, there is nothing pleasant in being right as I love the sport of triathlon.   

Hopefully the new generation will pick up the pieces and reinvigorate the sport. 

Time will tell. 

32 minutes ago, skinnee said:

Was interesting reading , good debate on pros and cons 

It’s a weird sport where independent race directors really run it. Take them away, it’s dead.    

Still amazes me a few race directors haven’t got together and set up their own membership system in competition.  I know some states require sanctioning  from the sports governing body to close roads,  but pollies would  reverse that in half a heart beat for small business. 

It’s hard we are sort of screwed as a small country club running events due to the legal side of things 

‘the local swim club fees are more than the tri fees though so it’s not just triathlons 

46 minutes ago, skinnee said:

It’s hard we are sort of screwed as a small country club running events due to the legal side of things 

‘the local swim club fees are more than the tri fees though so it’s not just triathlons 

Yep, a lot to be said just for going for a swim or cycle or run with mates.  We do some of that cycling on mtn bikes now and also some paddling. 

can buy a decent boat for the price of doing  two Ironmans. That holds it value for resale wether fenn or epic.

Cant even go near the idea of getting up at 4.30am and paying $100 plus to do Kurnell. 

Edited by Oompa Loompa

4 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

Cant even go near the idea of getting up at 4.30am and paying $100 plus to do Kurnell. 

Same...............

7 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

In my opinion, the goose was cooked the moment they brought in compulsory membership

ETC lost me when they brought compulsory in, so did Tri Aus.

What has happened to the numbers with Tri Aus do you know?

18 minutes ago, nealo said:

ETC lost me when they brought compulsory in, so did Tri Aus.

What has happened to the numbers with Tri Aus do you know?

Yeah. So you had the fake membership growth of state compulsory that got some non association members to join up but pushed a lot of the fringe away and has really come home to roost now. 

A 6.5% decline across the board which is massive, one in every 15 or so members walking away. Every state went backwards except the cashed up ACT.  

D87BBFAB-8D1B-477B-A60E-F0EC7562FEFF.png

Edited by Oompa Loompa

All they have to do is diversify what "membership" means.

Follow the AFL/NRL model - you can buy tickets to 3 games a year and be counted as a member, just like the person who buys the full season ticket.

Heck, copying the USAT idea of crediting up to 3 one day fees if you buy a membership mid season would be a good start.

17 minutes ago, Tyno said:

All they have to do is diversify what "membership" means.

Follow the AFL/NRL model - you can buy tickets to 3 games a year and be counted as a member, just like the person who buys the full season ticket.

In the AFL you don't even have to be human to be a member - no, not talking about Carlton Scum, you can buy pet memberships for most clubs

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tyno said:

Heck, copying the USAT idea of crediting up to 3 one day fees if you buy a membership mid season would be a good start.

Cycling Qld do this. You can buy a 3 race "trial" to see if you like it, then take that price off the yearly membership if you decide to join. You can only do it once though, not each year, so it really is a trial.

You mean like the TA eight week trial that gets credited off an annual membership if you take it up?