Peter

Important information about Triathlon Australia Membership

Have you got auto renewal turned on?

Maybe you do, maybe you don't.

If you do, it will charge you on 1st July.

If you planned on switching clubs you need to turn off this option before June 30 or you will be forced into being a member of that club once again.

So my tip is, stop the option now.

https://passport.active.com/oauth2/authorize?client_id=6f8f00f5-c780-4d7e-b23f-8724f300488a&response_type=token&redirect_uri=https%3A%2F%2Fmemberportal.active.com%2F&force_redirect=false

Sign in

Then click TURN OFF AUTO-RENEW

Then when 1 July rolls around, just join again as the club you want to be a member of.

Worst case, I suggest checking.

• Like 1

Thanks, same for me. Seems there is no equivalent to TA here in Vietnam ;-). Still have a race license for The Netherlands though!

Thanks for the tip, this will be the first year in many that I'm not a member of TA

But oldave you're the only reason I join TA...

• Like 1

Jeeze I must be a smart cookie! Cause I just checked and mine was already set to Off, for me and my kids. First time I've ever been on the ball.....

Jeeze I must be a smart cookie! Â Cause I just checked and mine was already set to Off, for me and my kids. Â First time I've ever been on the ball.....

Everyone with a family membership has their auto renewal off

Â

If you planned on switching clubs you need to turn off this option before June 30 or you will be forced into being a member of that club once again.

Â

Worst case, I suggest checking.

Much of a drama queen mate? Or if you would like to change clubs and have auto renewal on you could just ask and the club you wish to leave to refund your club membership and then you could just join the club you would like. But yes, it would be easier to turn off auto renewal before the end of June

Talk about an over-reaction. Guy tries to give a valid warning to avoid extra admin for the athlete and the club and that's the response?

• Like 3

Everyone with a family membership has their auto renewal off

wasn't a family membership. Kids each joined up at different times.

Talk about an over-reaction. Guy tries to give a valid warning to avoid extra admin for the athlete and the club and that's the response?

Also extra money for the club, because Active charges on refunds as well! So either the club absorbs the transaction fee or passes it on to the member by giving a reduced refund. That was one thing we had an issue with last year, as people leave for a multitude of reasons :)

• Like 2

Much of a drama queen mate? Or if you would like to change clubs and have auto renewal on you could just ask and the club you wish to leave to refund your club membership and then you could just join the club you would like. But yes, it would be easier to turn off auto renewal before the end of June

There are easy ways to do things and hard ways.

By unticking the option and then joining where you want on july 1 is much easier than getting several people involved in doing a transfer and refund.

The easiest option would be having the ability to change your club now and officially becoming a member on july 1.

Anyway its just a warning. You do what you want James. It's totally your decision.

Is it still farked up in IOS, I just tried to turn it off and let's me log in but gives a blank screen once there.

This really s a disgraceful policy to get members, surely it's better to have people want to join and take an action to do so, then rely on auto renew and pray people just shrug there shoulders when it goes through. Only person I've ever heard like this was a cashed up exec earning $400k a year.... Thought it was great, saved his secretary time.....

I just got an email saying my 2014-15 membership had expired and to setup my 2015-16 membership....we are now addressing with Triathlon NSW.

Maybe they don't want me :shy:

Is it still farked up in IOS, I just tried to turn it off and let's me log in but gives a blank screen once there.

This really s a disgraceful policy to get members, surely it's better to have people want to join and take an action to do so, then rely on auto renew and pray people just shrug there shoulders when it goes through. Only person I've ever heard like this was a cashed up exec earning $400k a year.... Thought it was great, saved his secretary time.....

not quite earning 400k a year but I don't mind the auto renew, I know i'll do plenty of races next year and its one more thing I don't have to sort before I do the first race of the year.

• Like 1

I dont mind the concept. They tell you about it. And its not the only thing that auto renews in life.

Auto renew makes sense if your one of those that races a lot.

I totally agree but how many are paying without knowing.

It makes sense for people who still do triathlon. Most people on here are too busy talking about the good old days to play triathlon anymore.

• Like 2

Thanks Pete. Does this mean you're changing clubs? Haha.

The auto renew is a good thing for us who still compete. As Ruley says, it's one less thing to worry about.

FYI, in the good old days getting your TA renewal done by snail mail was farked and took ages. You couldn't renew before 1 July and TA's office staff would get swamped with mail and they took most of July and August to process new memberships and renewals. For the athlete it was a pain especially if they were trying to enter the early season races. Keep in mind that this was the same period of time that race directors were demanding to see TA licences at registration to ensure athletes were TA members. All to satisfy insurance requirements.

Anyway, auto renewal is good, just remember to turn it off when you retire.

It makes sense for people who still do triathlon. Most people on here are too busy talking about the good old days to play triathlon anymore.

I'm changing clubs, and my credit card number got compromised :(

I'm changing clubs, and my credit card number got compromised :(

I assume you wont be changing clubs every year? If thats the case the auto renew will work well for you next year.

No idea what to say re your card being compromised.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The auto renew is good but if you aren't needed the licence until Jan why pay in july? Save the dollars and pay before your first race.

Because then you aren't covered by their insurance (even though its small its something) and it means you can't train with the club you're involved in if theyre following the rules.

• Like 1

I assume you wont be changing clubs every year? If thats the case the auto renew will work well for you next year.

No idea what to say re your card being compromised.

Yeah, auto renew will be back on until am sick of triathlon, a doctor tells me no more triathlon. Yeah I stopped the auto-renewal so it would not charge a non-existent card.

• Like 1

Because then you aren't covered by their insurance (even though its small its something) and it means you can't train with the club you're involved in if theyre following the rules.

Well that's not exactly true.

I have TAC when riding my bike

I have Private health insurance (as most have)

I'm also insured when riding due to bicycling Vic.

And I've tried to claim the TA insurance due to falling down a hole and screwing my ankle and got nothing.

The TA insurance isn't worth crap.

TAC is a Victorian only thing so doesn't apply to other states.

Liability insurance is what most people would be interested in if looking at the membership from this angle.

Im not part of bicycling vic/nsw/qld. TA is the only membership i have.

Does the TA insurance cover someone if I hit them and cause damage to them personally or their property? I was of the view it did?

They set a rule that everyone is to have up to date membership to train with a club and the coaches didnt need to take out the insurance anymore. This being the case I'd rather just play by the rules and join at the start of the year.

To me its not worth whinging about, just pay the money to be part of the club/organisation and be done with it.

If you dont want to thats fine and i highly doubt anyone will make a decision as to whether they join up based on what someone else is doing. But if they don't join and they bring down another rider who is doing the right thing and they then get sued personally rather than using the appropriate insurance then thats a matter for them to work out if or when it happens.

Yep that's the value of TA insurance, not the personal injury. Public liability is worth every cent of you fcuk up and someone tries to sue you. What insurance do you pay against the loss of your house, because you're protecting against that and more.

I really don't get the whingers who complain about the cost of TA/club membership. It's less than any junior team sport and if you understand what it offers it's good value.

I've been in this sport for around 13 years now.

For 13 years I've been hearing the same conversations querying what TA covers with their insurance.

Is it too hard for someone in the know at TA to put out a simple one page bullet point document to give members understanding on what is covered and what isn't? Might take someone in the office one day to do, however it might just get them at least another 10 memberships nationally, or save 100 phone calls annually

Not too mention it will free up broadband on here for other important things like answering Cranky threads and discussing how to remove all drafting

No one in the TA office would dare. You need to be an insurance expert to do that, and the insurance company they deal with wouldn't because it may make it too difficult to get out of paying a claim if they have put something in plain English that they would cover.

Excellent Mick, even found a link to 15/16 under membership on the website which is the first time I've looked for a while, has never been there in the past

But I did say one page :smartarse:

How do you get to that link? I've tried to find info on the TA site, and it just redirects me to V-Insurance.

How do you get to that link? I've tried to find info on the TA site, and it just redirects me to V-Insurance.

Ex,

I went to the home page, membership FAQ, question on coverage and got to a similar document, but for the current financial year

Thanks guys. I was on the Vinsurance site, and the screen I was using previously didn't highlight the "Summary of Download" link as a different colour, so I thought the text below it was the summary, and it gave bugger all info. The first link Mick put up was on the TA site, but no real way to navigate to it.

Anyway, if you want to be a member, auto-renew makes sense. It clearly tells you you have it when you first start up, and how to get rid of it, and most things in life these days just keep on billing you assuming you are continuing, so why should TA be any different. Just beware everyone about your card expiry date, and keep it up to date.

Well that's not exactly true.

I have TAC when riding my bike

I have Private health insurance (as most have)

I'm also insured when riding due to bicycling Vic.

And I've tried to claim the TA insurance due to falling down a hole and screwing my ankle and got nothing.

The TA insurance isn't worth crap.

TAC is a Victorian only thing so doesn't apply to other states.

Liability insurance is what most people would be interested in if looking at the membership from this angle.

TAC only covers you if a motor vehicle is involved (car, motorcycle, bus, train or tram). It doesn't cover a crash with another bike, hitting a pedestrian or just plain falling off.

Yep that's the value of TA insurance, not the personal injury. Public liability is worth every cent of you fcuk up and someone tries to sue you. What insurance do you pay against the loss of your house, because you're protecting against that and more.

I really don't get the whingers who complain about the cost of TA/club membership. It's less than any junior team sport and if you understand what it offers it's good value.

I have a cycling licence that covers public liability insurance.

I haven't been a TA member for 6 or 7 years. It has no value for me.

I have a cycling licence that covers public liability insurance. Â

Â

I haven't been a TA member for 6 or 7 years. Â It has no value for me. Â

As long as you never accidentally injure someone while running or swimming. Knock am old fogie over and break their hip or take out a few teeth with a paddle. That sort of thing. The ambulance trip for them by itself would be more than a couple of years membership.

Of course it's unlikely to happen, otherwise the insurance would be higher, but if it does you'll be glad you're covered. Plus you can support a local club putting something back into the sport. Win-win.

There have been issues in the past with claims for training incidents. Training only counted if it was a coached official session, is this still the case?

I thought training only counted if it was training for an event - which I would argue all training is if you're still a member of TA. But I guess with insurance companies, they'd want it specified. Maybe even entered?

Did you read the link Barry? Training for or competing in a sanctioned event.

As long as you never accidentally injure someone while running or swimming. Knock am old fogie over and break their hip or take out a few teeth with a paddle. That sort of thing. The ambulance trip for them by itself would be more than a couple of years membership.

Of course it's unlikely to happen, otherwise the insurance would be higher, but if it does you'll be glad you're covered. Plus you can support a local club putting something back into the sport. Win-win.

Not if its a overseas sanctioned race!! & yes I just rang them to seek clarification on what a " sanctioned" race is. They would only commit to TRi Aus races. I would have to take out a separate policy to cover for overseas races.

I dont train with a tri club & my daughter has 0 interest in triathlon so not sure why I need to pu back into the sport. I also don't race local races.

So to be considered "training for a sanctioned event", do you have to be entered, or is telling Transitions in a thread that you are doing it enough?

• Like 1

I know there've been a few here who have.