Sign in to follow this  
roxii

TV / recording help

So I bought a whiz bang tv and all is good. It records via the usb only drama is that because it only has one tuner when it is recording you can't change channels.

So what are my options?

Get sonething like a top field hdd recorder and use that to record, or can I just get a set top box and plug that in to the tv and use that tuner when the tv is in record mode?

What may be worse, is that I believe with some of those tv's, the tv actually has to be turned on to be able to do the recording! Ours is an LG TV, and while we haven't tested it ourselves, this is what the guy told us when we were buying it. We also looked at a panasonic tv with dual tuners, and he said the same about it - the tv actually has to be on to do a recording, even if you schedule it. If you ask me, the only thing they would be good for (if this really is the case) is for catch up tv, say if you have to go to the loo or answer the phone so you can 'pause' live tv then catch it up.

Yeah, other options would be something like a toppy, or other hdd recorder. I think some have up to 4 tuners now, and often one tuner can actually record all the channels belonging to say 7 at the same time, since they come on on the same frequency. We've used a media pc for years now with a single tuner in it, and have been able to record multiple of the same station (10, 10hd, 11) at the same time.

In the kids room, we have a Fetch TV box that we got with our iinet internet subscription. We don't use it for any of the extra channels you can get with it. It's just for the kids to record their shows, and it works as a streamer (using Plex app) for them to watch stuff on our media centre and it also has netflix and youtube apps. Just has to be hooked up by ethernet, that's all.

Some type of pvr is probably the best option, go for one that has all the Netcast apps - iview, stan, Netflix etc. if you have got a good internet plan then Apple TV or Chromecast, don't bother recording if you can watch it on the net.

What may be worse, is that I believe with some of those tv's, the tv actually has to be turned on to be able to do the recording! Ours is an LG TV, and while we haven't tested it ourselves, this is what the guy told us when we were buying it. We also looked at a panasonic tv with dual tuners, and he said the same about it - the tv actually has to be on to do a recording, even if you schedule it. If you ask me, the only thing they would be good for (if this really is the case) is for catch up tv, say if you have to go to the loo or answer the phone so you can 'pause' live tv then catch it up.

Yeah, other options would be something like a toppy, or other hdd recorder. I think some have up to 4 tuners now, and often one tuner can actually record all the channels belonging to say 7 at the same time, since they come on on the same frequency. We've used a media pc for years now with a single tuner in it, and have been able to record multiple of the same station (10, 10hd, 11) at the same time.

In the kids room, we have a Fetch TV box that we got with our iinet internet subscription. We don't use it for any of the extra channels you can get with it. It's just for the kids to record their shows, and it works as a streamer (using Plex app) for them to watch stuff on our media centre and it also has netflix and youtube apps. Just has to be hooked up by ethernet, that's all.

We have an LG and records whilst the tv is on or off.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I might have to give it a try then! The guy was pretty knowledgeable; he knew all the stuff I already knew about them, including how the advertised refresh rate stuff is inflated, so I did take him at his word there.

Back in 2002 I used some open source TV software, can't remember what it was called... It checked on line TV guides and automatically recorded TV shows you selected, removed ads and you could just save it or watch it live or both. It ran on a Linux and was very geeky, but that was 14 years ago, there must be some "box" you can get that does the same now for under a hundred bucks...

Avoid Altech brand.

I bought one as it had triple tuner and heaps of great features which were great when it worked. Mine kept freezing to the point it had to be sent back to reset, then 2 weeks later would re-freeze all over again. Found out on the net that alot of people who purchased around the same time as I did all experienced the same problem, and the company was doing nothing about replacing them or admitting any fault

To make matters worse I bought it from Dick Smith late last year. I now have an overpriced paper weight waiting for the next hard rubbish day

Ended up getting a $55 topfield set top box.

This allows us to either watch the set top box tuner as an alt input while the TV is recording OR you can plug a USB into the topfield as well and record onto that USB and watch the TV as normal.

We dont do any high tech series recording or that sort of stuff so the $55 investment should do us for now.

• Like 1