Diamonds

Official "Where I've ridden" thread

me too, walked the dog and discovered a network, with significant trail building, north shore stuff where once was one creek trail. Met the dude with a rake cleaning the trails. Slowman I'll give you the guff. Rode it next day. Trailhead is literally 200m from my driveway. It needs more than my XC bike to be comfortable.

Interestingly, also came a cross a trail which had water running like a creek down it when all else was dry. Dog was sniffing the runoff and I noticed it stank, 10m up the trail there is a spring of sewage erupting from the ground, and 10m further was a manhole cover. This was running straight into a major creek which feeds into a River. I rang and emailed Sydney water and using a screenshot of the garmin connect page could direct Luigi and his crew to the spot the next day. They rang and asked me for some directions and had to use a firetrail, cross a creek and bushbash but rang me back to tell me they found and fixed the blockage .

Dunno if I have ALL MOUNTAIN left in me these days, I worry about teeth, bones and my furniture too much.

Good work on the sewage detection and call out.

Edited by Slowman

Dunno if I have ALL MOUNTAIN left in me these days, I worry about teeth, bones and my furniture too much.

Good work on the sewage detection and call out.

I figure the all mountain will just make my XC rides more comfortable and give me all the false confidence I need to take on stuff I shouldn't do at my age. Perfect!

Kenny saw a bloke flat land a big jump down there yesterday and it took him 8 minutes to wake up.

Geez Parky. Just looked their new website up. Looks good. I wonder what the go is with the new club because it was WMBC guys. The WMBC still appears to have club rounds there anyway so the new club thing appears a little weird.

The clinics look tempting. There doesn't appear to be many open face helmets in photos which doesn't bode well for us 40+ gents.

ÃÂ

I figure the all mountain will just make my XC rides more comfortable and give me all the false confidence I need to take on stuff I shouldn't do at my age. Perfect!

ÃÂ

Kenny saw a bloke flat land a big jump down there yesterday and it took him 8 minutes to wake up.

some of the later trail oriented bikes are pretty nice. The Norco Optic is one option. Kind of half way between xc and all mountain. 34 x 130 fork, wider rims, short stems and slack angles. Edited by Chookman

some of the later trail oriented bikes are pretty nice. The Norco Optic is one option. Kind of half way between xc and all mountain. 34 x 130 fork, wider rims, short stems and slack angles.

I've both a cross country bike (Felt Edict) and a Trail bike (Niner RIP). The Niner is great on the cross country trials, nimble, climbs and responds well.

The newer trail bikes with different front and rear travel; like the Niner RIP, Norco Optic, really are blurring the lines between cross country and trail

Â

You figure right. The scarier stuff I used to avoid on my XC 29er HT is pretty easy on a Remedy. I then get back on the HT and I am able to ride it on that. I am sure I will come unstuck soon enough though.

There's not a lot of trails around where I currently live (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam), but they do organise some races up country. I did a 3 day stage race around Da Lat in March (www.vietnamvictorychallenge.com). Now, if anyone is interested in a 3 day stage race on beautiful trails near Sa Pa in the north, beginning of November, have a look at www.vietnammountainbikemarathon.com. No affiliation with either organization but since triathletes are known to love destination races, I thought I'd throw it out here!

Nice. A chick I work with just got flown back after being read her last rites after a bout of typhoid with a dash of denghi, so I might pass LOL

• Like 1

Just rode Kembla DH for the first time. Favourite local now! Awesome.

Edit - hit my first gap jump too.

Edited by Diamonds
  • Like 1

Just rode Kembla DH for the first time. Favourite local now! Awesome.

Edit - hit my first gap jump too.

what are you riding Diamonds?

Parky. Just rode GV. Far out. It is DH centric bigtime. There are two intermediate runs with no real gap jumps. I did Bigfoot which runs into GBH, and also Plantation Trail (the two non jump runs). It is a steep old push to the top. All other runs have big air jumps. Spoke with owner too. He has moved a heap of dirt.

I am going to watch the next event there with the young fella (3/9/16). To be truthful there is not a helluva alot I can ride there at present (I'll need a full face helmet and pads). They are pretty steep and tight runs, so a spill will cost some teeth or a shoulder. I do the DH runs on kembla and keira on either of my bikes, but this is another level.

Edited by Diamonds
  • Like 1

Come and ride Tuggeranong pines.... Gap fest. Some are just straight out scary though (>40ft). Many are very doable. Some nice rock gardens too. Perfect for your remedy.

I'm off to Rotorua tomorrow for two days riding, with my son who is on study leave (last exam today)

It will be the first time I use a trail/all mountain bike there as always used the Cross country bike there.

Plan will be arrive Friday mid morning, visit bike shops, ride using shuttles for afternoon in forest. (shuttles don't start till 1pm on Friday), and all the bike shops are MTB centric

Saturday ride shuttles in forest or at skyline gondola in morning, afternoon back in forest till time to go home.

It will either be great or end in disaster

I'm off to Rotorua tomorrow for two days riding, with my son who is on study leave (last exam today)

It will be the first time I use a trail/all mountain bike there as always used the Cross country bike there.

Plan will be arrive Friday mid morning, visit bike shops, ride using shuttles for afternoon in forest. (shuttles don't start till 1pm on Friday), and all the bike shops are MTB centric

Saturday ride shuttles in forest or at skyline gondola in morning, afternoon back in forest till time to go home.

Â

It will either be great or end in disaster

I will be keen for a full report please. The young fella and I are planning a 7 day Rotarua extravaganza in 12-18 months time. Everything from eats to accom to trails obviously.

Just back from Jindy, Lake Crackenback and the open bit of TVT. Pretty nice riding. Can't wait to do the top of the hill at Thredbo.

Edited by Diamonds

There's not a lot of trails around where I currently live (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam), but they do organise some races up country. I did a 3 day stage race around Da Lat in March (www.vietnamvictorychallenge.com). Now, if anyone is interested in a 3 day stage race on beautiful trails near Sa Pa in the north, beginning of November, have a look at www.vietnammountainbikemarathon.com. No affiliation with either organization but since triathletes are known to love destination races, I thought I'd throw it out here!

When I was living in District 7, we used to ride on the MTB's south into the rice paddies and sometimes board the ferry and cross into Dong Nai and ride the rubber plantations.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/115155758

Always a good ride thru the villages and markets with noodle and fruit stop offs.

Edited by softy

I do ride from D2 where I live, we take the Cat Lai ferry quite a bit as well. Or out East, past D9. Not a lot of hills here so the 3800m gain in 153km is probably going to kill me in 2 weeks...

Rode in the Hornsby trails on the weekend. About 5 min ride from the train station and have been reopened after the m1/m2 work.

There is only about 3km of trail and a BMX style track. The tracks were great and challenging to ride well, I did about 10km in the hour i had of climb/descend over great flowing stuff. Lots of repeating the same tracks but by taking different options could make each little loop slightly different. The trails are on the side of a hill so lots of up and down on the side of what i think was a quarry. There is plans to reopen some more and extend the trails.

I really enjoy the ride and will certainly go back when i have to kill an hour or two in Hornsby (got to be better than the mall, or awaiting for kids sport to start).

So have now done 3 or 4 rides on the HT rebuild and after a long break from riding in the RNP I must say the trail fairies have been extremely busy. It is possible to ride from e Heathcote to sutherland, Kirrawee and Grays point all on narrow, windy single track and stay off all the main firetrails. Have done 2 x 1 hour rides recently almost exclusively on "new" trails I hadn't ridden before.