Diamonds

Official "Where I've ridden" thread

Idea is one main post only per user, editted as you add new trail networks to your ride history.

Makes it easy to get advice or travel ideas based on others experiences and then you know who to PM if needed.

Inspired by my young bloke who has started a list of where we have ridden. Upto 19 places so far with another 6 within 50kms that we haven't go to yet. I'll do mine tonight.

• Like 1

I've ridden a few places over the years and I'll try to group them and provide some links.

Australia

Brisbane

Mount Coottha/Gap Creek

Sydney

Redhill

Oxford Falls

Bantry Bay

Belrose/Cascades/St.Ives

Many Dam

Terrey Hills

Mount Annan

Menai

Royal National Park

Woronora Heights/Pipeline

Helensburgh

Darkes Forest/Appin

South Coast NSW

Mogo

Husky/Callala

Western NSW

Parkes

Queenbean/ACT

Mount Ainslie

Majura Pines

Sparrow Hill

Bruce Ridge

Mount Stromlo

Scotland

Edinburgh

Glentress Forest

USA

California

Dela Veaga (Santa Cruz)

Nisene Marks (Santa Cruz)

Wilders Ranch (Santa Cruz)

UCSC trails (Santa Cruz)

Coyote Peak (Santa Theresa)

Skegs (San Francisco)

St.Joseph's Hill (Los Gatos)

Montevina Ridge Trail (Los Gatos)

Kennedy's Trail/Dogmeat (Los Gatos)

Henry Coe State Park (Morgan Hill)

Joseph E Grant State Park (San Jose)

Redwoods

Russian Ridge

New York

Mount Beacon

Fishkill

Newburgh

Texas

Muleshoe Bend

Rocky Hill

Walnut Creek

Maui

Mount Haleakala

1. Australia

1a. Brisbane

Mount Coottha/Gap Creek trails.

Friends of ours live at Chapel Hill only about 2km from the Gap Creek trail head. These are nice flowing XC trails nothing too technical but some nice fast flowing berms with a few rock plated drops here and there and some tree roots.

1b. Sydney

Redhill/NSW Academy of Sport (Narrabeen Lakes)

I first started to ride MTB on these trails. I't s mixture of fire trails and singletracks that are fairly wide. There are a few Aboriginal rock carvings in the area. You climb to the top of the road up from the academy past the caretakers house and the trails start up there. There are a few large rock gardens that end up in some rocky downhill chutes that take you onto Wakehurst Parkway around about level with Oxford Falls turn off.

Oxford Falls

Some of these trails are fast and fun run back down to Deepwater Narrabeen (the creek that feeds Narrabeen Lakes). Narrow fire trails or wide singletracks? The fun ones come off the glider/model aeroplane field.

Bantry Bay

I lived at Frenchs Forest at the time and rode down to the the shops at Bantry Bay Rd and Warringah Rd and would head south along some fire trail that ran parallel to Wakehurst Parkway and would eventually bring me out to the trail head for Manly Dam.

Manly Dam

An interesting mix of single tracks linked with some bitumen here and there. About a 10k loop best done clockwise with some steep rocky downhill bits with firetrail that turns into single track. Some rock rollovers with smooth hardpack trail that turns into a trail through a rockgarden after you climb up to the golf course before finishing up the top where you started.

Terrey Hills

I'd start at the trail head on Booligal Rd and take the Perimeter Track north which meanders around the turn right onto the Cowan Track and then take the right fork onto the Long Track and end up with a nice view at the end over Pittwater. Just firetrail and suitable for a family ride.

Darkes Forest/Appin

We ride from Darkes Forest to Appin and back for an allround trip of around 80km give or take depending on whether we do a few loops of the WSMTB course at Appin and cheat on the way home talking a section of Appin Rd.

East Heathcote/RNP/Loftus/Grays Point

Something like 20km of trails. Ridden them forever a few technical sections here and there but generally easy XC.On the western side of the Prices Highway there are fire trails that will take you out to the Dam and down to Helensburgh as you follow the rail lines.

Woronora Heighs/Pipeline/Woronora Cemetery

Heading east along the pipeline you drop out down at Woronora then head north east on Prince Edward Park Rd and then take the 2nd firetrail turn off which will take you up over a bridge onto a steep cement footpath up to another fire trail that goes all the way to Sutherland Oval. Just before you hit the top near the oval turn right onto the trails behind the Cemetery. There is a nice lookout up here too. The trail is quite rocky and has a few technical bit and will challenge you to clear them. You end up in the back of Loftus best option is the head to Railway Pde cross Loftus Station and head over for a couple of loops of the short crit dirt track in the middle of Sutherland bitumen crit track. Then cross the highway and head back through the RNP.

Woronora Heights/Pipeline/Needles

You can head west on the Pipeline trail until it meets the Needles fire trail head down and cross the weir and then head up a steep rocky fire trail up to Barden Ridge and ride the ridge trails until you hit Illawarra Rd and then crossover to the Menai trails.

Helensburgh

There are quite a few trails around the Burgh, fire trails, XC single track and some fast hairy chutes. Some nice ones skirting around lakes in the bushland that you'd never know where there.

Menai

The guys have done a great job to create about 18km of trail after ANSTO closed all access to the trails. The network is no where as extensive as it used to be but give it time and work. There are still some trails on Barden Ridge and the trails coming up from the Needles.

Mount Annan

Really nice trails to take the family. The trails are marked and graded: Green (easy), Blue (intermediate) and Black (expert). The reality is they are for XC and the black trail isn't that difficult there is only one or two drop offs that twist away that cause a little difficulty.

1c. NSW South Coast

Mogo

Rode these trails during the Angry Doctor, no really big hills but plenty of undulations that over 50 or 100km will rip you legs off as promised.

Husky 100/50 course

Coondoo, Dust Bowl etcetera. Trails start from behind Culburra RSL. Some nice fast XC trails. Looks like there are plenty more too.

1d Western NSW

Parkes

Rode 100km of the Back Yamma Bigfoot race. Almost dead flat but watch out for flying kangaroos crossing the trail! I saw a guy nearly get taken out by one. A mix of fire trail and single track with a few erosion gully crossings to make things interesting. It can get hot out here!

1e. Queenbean/Canberra/ACT

Mount Ainslie

I found these trails one time I was down in Canberra for a week for work. Closest trails to the Crown. The top of Majura also has some trails that follow the ridge and link up. Odd place some trails are for walking only but the sign is only at the bottom of the trail and you see it once you've come down!

Majura Pines

Ridden during the Mont 24H one year and the Capital Punishment 2010 (Saturday from hell).

Kowen Forest

Ridden during the Mont 24H one year

Sparrow Hill

Ridden during the Mont24H one year. Fire trail and single track.

Bruce Ridge

This was a nice find after going down for a weekend and finding Majura had been logged. This network of trails is fantastic. It's a bunch of hardpacked dirt trails. Heaps of fast groomed and bermed singletracks with some fire trail to ride up to then start these wonderful trails that traverse down the hill. Nothing too technical just fast fun.

Mount Stromlo

Ridden a number of times during the Scott 24H races and the Capital Punishment.

2. Scotland

Glentress Forest (see http://www.glentressforest.com/)

3. USA

3a. California

Dela Veaga

Nisene Marks

Wilders

UCSC trails

Coyote Peak/Santa Theresa

Skegs

Los Gatos

Redwoods

Russian Ridge

3b. New York

Fishkill

Mount Beacon

Newburgh

3c. Texas

Rocky Hill

Walnut Creek (Austin)

3d Maui

Mount Haleakala

Private land. A mixture of some rocky single track and fire trail with pea gravel descents that are fast and exciting and easy to wash out on the bends! I flew right over a bush overcooking one turn and luckily landed on a soft bush though it had some thorns. Basically goes up and then comes down and is used the World Xterra Champs. I found a couple of other fire trails around but nothing much worth riding. Go to Maui to surf Peahi don't bother bringing a bike!

Edited by Slowman

Not too many, but heres a few:

Port Mac (MTB park and Telegraph point)

Blackbutt Forest (Shellharbour)

Batehaven - Mogo

Menai

Fire trails around Yarrawarrah, Engadine, Heathcote inc Pipeline.

Fire trails around Alfords point and Bangor

Picnic point (currently my favorite place to ride)

Mt Annan

Welby

Stromlo

Sparrow Hill

Majura Pines

Bright (Mystic and river loop)

Porepunkah

Falls Creek

Big Hill mtb pk Mt Beauty

Flame Trees Beechworth

Beechworth Mtb Pk

Tathra

Coondoo (Sth Nowra)

Bermagui Mtb Pk

Wingello

Dargle Farm

Kate Reed (Tas)

Illawarra Esc (there is one legal trail up Bulli end and I have done it ð)

Barrack Hgts

Planned in next few months; Kangaroo Valley, Wylde, RNP, Menai, East Kowen.

Planned 2017/18 - Rotorua, Jindy

Edited by Diamonds

Picnic point (currently my favorite place to ride)

I know you said it's a bit of a secret place but a hint would be nice (or a PM). That's pretty close to home for me.

Glenrock National Park - Newcastle

Broken Hill Mountain Bike Park - Located at Broken Hill Golf Club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know you said it's a bit of a secret place but a hint would be nice (or a PM). That's pretty close to home for me.

Hey Trinube, not really a secret, it's just no one rides there. The house we owned for several years back backed onto the Georges River National park and several of the trails I've discovered in recent months I never knew existed! Some of the trails are fast and non technical and others are quite technical with some decent drops. A bit of everything really. I'll PM you the details.

Being based in Auckland I've ridden

Woodhill, FourForty (Auckland)

Rotorua

Taupo

also rode in Queenstown, Tekapo and Hammer Springs on a road trip around the south island earlier this year

Scotland

Glentress Forest (see http://www.glentressforest.com/)

This is such a great place. Every kind of trail from XC easy to hard to full on free ride ramps and obstacles. All levels and styles of riding catered for with bike hire, amenities and a decent shop/cafe where you can warm up afterwards with hot soup and bread and a coffee! In winter it gets cold here but the locals are still out in shorts! I've ridden this place twice in winter and one year it was snowing and riding above the snow line was a fantastic experience.

Check this photo out, need I say more? Get your flow on...

1655859_10152169432447159_21843610_n.jpg

Here are some more photos...

Image192_zps4i4k3qu0.jpg

108_0890_zpsollsqgjj.jpg

108_0891_zpsszpbnrwr.jpg

Here is the bike shop at the foot of the hill, it has changed management since I was there see http://www.tiso.com/shops/glentress. When I was there I hired a Kona Cindercone which was a mid level hard tail which is enough for the XC trails.

109_0902_zpsmblwmbbl.jpg

I rode this place in 2005 and 2007 with a friend who'd been a club mate and IM training partner throughout 2001/2002 whilst he was out here in Sydney with his wife who had some kind of executive assignment for 18 months. I managed to catch up on a couple of visits to Edinburgh to visit one of my corporation's clients.

Edited by Slowman
  • Like 1

Only just saw your edited initial list, Slowman. Great collection here and abroad. Do you tend to hire o/s and use as s chance to play on a different machine?

Arwsome stuff slow man

My riding

Taupo

Rotaura

Stromlo

Tewantin

Castlemaine

Beachworth

Bright

Punka

Falls creek

Dinner plain

Maldon

Castlemaine (my favourite )

Port Mac

Cairns

Smithfield

Youyangs

MT buffalo

Tarthra

Kona

More to come

Only just saw your edited initial list, Slowman. Great collection here and abroad. Do you tend to hire o/s and use as s chance to play on a different machine?

There are even more to add, they were just off the top of my head I see more trail maps which of course jogs the memory.

If I am only going for a short time say less than a week and it's business I'd hire, because that might mean just a weekend and distance is also a factor as well as logistics when I get there. If it were a week of riding every day and I could sort out transporting my bike to and from accommodation and to trails then I'd probably take my "traveller" which is a Santa Cruz XCc Blur converted from 26" to 650B. It is around 10.6kg so in its bag I can carry it a bit. Fortunately, I've had some pretty good length assignments in different places due to work from 4 to 6 weeks in New York, California and Texas.

When I went to Texas it was 4 weeks but at that time it rained quite a bit which is unusual for Texas. I was based in Austin and was a short ride from Walnut Creek MTB Park, which had some sweet trails and over the 4 weeks I kept discovering more. One of the first things I did was buy a book called "The Pathfinder" by J H Snowden describing and mapping the trails around Austin and San Antonio. So during the week I rode Walnut Creek trails and on weekends I'd take a drive to some of these other trails.

Rocky Hill

The first place I drove to was Rocky Hill. It was a wet wet weekend and the place has its own saloon/bar, the sign on the office said it all - they were at the saloon! There were large pools of water everywhere.

Fortunately I made it back to Rocky Hill when the weather cleared up and the sun was out for the last week. It's a private MTB park and down the bottom of this hill they had a full blown medieval tournament going on! Yeah it was an earner on the side for these guys the fee to ride for a day was so cheap, $6 as I recall. I guess this sort of thing helped keep it low.

I got there and spent about 5 hours having a ball. The place is basically an XC paradise. There is nothing really technical here. It is basically a lower flat area with a big hill to climb and then a plateau up the top with some mild undulations on it. On the way down I found a few more flattish terraced areas but the speed and singletrack runs downhill were amazing fun. Nice flowing berms and banked trails. Though the initial climb up "Fat Chuck's Demise" was a long steep grind up a fire trail. I climbed it about 3 times and spent a lot of time exploring the trails all around the place on the way down and riding around up there on these plateau areas.

Here are some of the trails. I'd post more but there is a limit of 5 images per post. To see more go here http://s304.photobucket.com/user/Slowchap/library/MTB/Texas/Rocky%20Hill

106_0688_zpseajiwapx.jpg106_0690_zpsq71pmubv.jpg107_0701_zpstf4qkoax.jpg107_0702_zpsrkenrude.jpg107_0704_zps5urw6nw9.jpg

Muleshoe Bend

...watch this space...

Walnut Creek

...watch this space...

Edited by Slowman

Rode again at Castlemaine on the weekend

Great riding , and super fun for all

Get down there if u have a chance

Discovered several more sekrit trails this week. A few tight twisting downhill runs, drops, step ups and all quite dry considering the rain we've had!

• Like 1

Discovered several more sekrit trails this week. A few tight twisting downhill runs, drops, step ups and all quite dry considering the rain we've had!

me too, walked the dog and discovered a network, with significant trail building, north shore stuff where once was one creek trail. Met the dude with a rake cleaning the trails. Slowman I'll give you the guff. Rode it next day. Trailhead is literally 200m from my driveway. It needs more than my XC bike to be comfortable.

Interestingly, also came a cross a trail which had water running like a creek down it when all else was dry. Dog was sniffing the runoff and I noticed it stank, 10m up the trail there is a spring of sewage erupting from the ground, and 10m further was a manhole cover. This was running straight into a major creek which feeds into a River. I rang and emailed Sydney water and using a screenshot of the garmin connect page could direct Luigi and his crew to the spot the next day. They rang and asked me for some directions and had to use a firetrail, cross a creek and bushbash but rang me back to tell me they found and fixed the blockage .

Edited by Parkside
  • Like 1

Â

me too, walked the dog and discovered a network, with significant trail building, north shore stuff where once was one creek trail. Met the dude with a rake cleaning the trails. Slowman I'll give you the guff. Rode it next day. Trailhead is literally 200m from my driveway. It needs more than my XC bike to be comfortable.

Â

Interestingly, also came a cross a trail which had water running like a creek down it when all else was dry. Dog was sniffing the runoff and I noticed it stank, 10m up the trail there is a spring of sewage erupting from the ground, and 10m further was a manhole cover. This was running straight into a major creek which feeds into a River. I rang and emailed Sydney water and using a screenshot of the garmin connect page could direct Luigi and his crew to the spot the next day. They rang and asked me for some directions and had to use a firetrail, cross a creek and bushbash but rang me back to tell me they found and fixed the blockage .Â

Nice!

Interestingly, also came a cross a trail which had water running like a creek down it when all else was dry. Dog was sniffing the runoff and I noticed it stank, 10m up the trail there is a spring of sewage erupting from the ground, and 10m further was a manhole cover. This was running straight into a major creek which feeds into a River. I rang and emailed Sydney water and using a screenshot of the garmin connect page could direct Luigi and his crew to the spot the next day. They rang and asked me for some directions and had to use a firetrail, cross a creek and bushbash but rang me back to tell me they found and fixed the blockage .

Well done parky
  • Like 1

Anyone ridden Green Valley? Looks pretty awesome.

Kinda hard to get on. Only open for club events. Limited rider numbers which sell out as well. Young bloke and I will likely join over summer though so hopefully... Big DH focus and mad jumps if you listen to the talk.

I rode Menai a few times this week... what a fantastic facility! Some flowy bits; lots of hairpins; technical ascents and descents and a few decent drop offs. Definitely worth trying if you haven't been there.

Kinda hard to get on. Only open for club events. Limited rider numbers which sell out as well. Young bloke and I will likely join over summer though so hopefully... Big DH focus and mad jumps if you listen to the talk.

Only heard about it this week, read the website last night. One of the soccer dads went to the gravity day today, photos look sick. My aim is to liquidate some assets, get an all mountain bike and do some of the training clinics down there, looks awesome.

I did see the XC trails are free to ride Thursday nights and weekends, just have to book online

I did see the XC trails are free to ride Thursday nights and weekends, just have to book online

Haven't looked into lately. Thought it was WBMC members only though for training nights. It was no dig, no ride early doors when they were building.

Funny story, last footy season I had come down the Pass from the Bowral game and was catching up to the shuttle bus and bike trailer doing about 90kph along the Highway. Glad I didn't get too close as the last three DH bikes came unglued and cartwheeled along the roadway! I think I'll ride up when I go there after seeing that.

Dunno if I have ALL MOUNTAIN left in me these days, I worry about teeth, bones and my furniture too much.

Good work on the sewage detection and call out.

Edited by Slowman

Dunno if I have ALL MOUNTAIN left in me these days, I worry about teeth, bones and my furniture too much.

Good work on the sewage detection and call out.

I figure the all mountain will just make my XC rides more comfortable and give me all the false confidence I need to take on stuff I shouldn't do at my age. Perfect!

Kenny saw a bloke flat land a big jump down there yesterday and it took him 8 minutes to wake up.

Geez Parky. Just looked their new website up. Looks good. I wonder what the go is with the new club because it was WMBC guys. The WMBC still appears to have club rounds there anyway so the new club thing appears a little weird.

The clinics look tempting. There doesn't appear to be many open face helmets in photos which doesn't bode well for us 40+ gents.

ÃÂ

I figure the all mountain will just make my XC rides more comfortable and give me all the false confidence I need to take on stuff I shouldn't do at my age. Perfect!

ÃÂ

Kenny saw a bloke flat land a big jump down there yesterday and it took him 8 minutes to wake up.

some of the later trail oriented bikes are pretty nice. The Norco Optic is one option. Kind of half way between xc and all mountain. 34 x 130 fork, wider rims, short stems and slack angles. Edited by Chookman

some of the later trail oriented bikes are pretty nice. The Norco Optic is one option. Kind of half way between xc and all mountain. 34 x 130 fork, wider rims, short stems and slack angles.

I've both a cross country bike (Felt Edict) and a Trail bike (Niner RIP). The Niner is great on the cross country trials, nimble, climbs and responds well.

The newer trail bikes with different front and rear travel; like the Niner RIP, Norco Optic, really are blurring the lines between cross country and trail

Â

You figure right. The scarier stuff I used to avoid on my XC 29er HT is pretty easy on a Remedy. I then get back on the HT and I am able to ride it on that. I am sure I will come unstuck soon enough though.

There's not a lot of trails around where I currently live (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam), but they do organise some races up country. I did a 3 day stage race around Da Lat in March (www.vietnamvictorychallenge.com). Now, if anyone is interested in a 3 day stage race on beautiful trails near Sa Pa in the north, beginning of November, have a look at www.vietnammountainbikemarathon.com. No affiliation with either organization but since triathletes are known to love destination races, I thought I'd throw it out here!

Nice. A chick I work with just got flown back after being read her last rites after a bout of typhoid with a dash of denghi, so I might pass LOL

• Like 1

Just rode Kembla DH for the first time. Favourite local now! Awesome.

Edit - hit my first gap jump too.

Edited by Diamonds
  • Like 1

Just rode Kembla DH for the first time. Favourite local now! Awesome.

Edit - hit my first gap jump too.

what are you riding Diamonds?

Parky. Just rode GV. Far out. It is DH centric bigtime. There are two intermediate runs with no real gap jumps. I did Bigfoot which runs into GBH, and also Plantation Trail (the two non jump runs). It is a steep old push to the top. All other runs have big air jumps. Spoke with owner too. He has moved a heap of dirt.

I am going to watch the next event there with the young fella (3/9/16). To be truthful there is not a helluva alot I can ride there at present (I'll need a full face helmet and pads). They are pretty steep and tight runs, so a spill will cost some teeth or a shoulder. I do the DH runs on kembla and keira on either of my bikes, but this is another level.

Edited by Diamonds
  • Like 1

Come and ride Tuggeranong pines.... Gap fest. Some are just straight out scary though (>40ft). Many are very doable. Some nice rock gardens too. Perfect for your remedy.

I'm off to Rotorua tomorrow for two days riding, with my son who is on study leave (last exam today)

It will be the first time I use a trail/all mountain bike there as always used the Cross country bike there.

Plan will be arrive Friday mid morning, visit bike shops, ride using shuttles for afternoon in forest. (shuttles don't start till 1pm on Friday), and all the bike shops are MTB centric

Saturday ride shuttles in forest or at skyline gondola in morning, afternoon back in forest till time to go home.

It will either be great or end in disaster

I'm off to Rotorua tomorrow for two days riding, with my son who is on study leave (last exam today)

It will be the first time I use a trail/all mountain bike there as always used the Cross country bike there.

Plan will be arrive Friday mid morning, visit bike shops, ride using shuttles for afternoon in forest. (shuttles don't start till 1pm on Friday), and all the bike shops are MTB centric

Saturday ride shuttles in forest or at skyline gondola in morning, afternoon back in forest till time to go home.

Â

It will either be great or end in disaster

I will be keen for a full report please. The young fella and I are planning a 7 day Rotarua extravaganza in 12-18 months time. Everything from eats to accom to trails obviously.

Just back from Jindy, Lake Crackenback and the open bit of TVT. Pretty nice riding. Can't wait to do the top of the hill at Thredbo.

Edited by Diamonds

There's not a lot of trails around where I currently live (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam), but they do organise some races up country. I did a 3 day stage race around Da Lat in March (www.vietnamvictorychallenge.com). Now, if anyone is interested in a 3 day stage race on beautiful trails near Sa Pa in the north, beginning of November, have a look at www.vietnammountainbikemarathon.com. No affiliation with either organization but since triathletes are known to love destination races, I thought I'd throw it out here!

When I was living in District 7, we used to ride on the MTB's south into the rice paddies and sometimes board the ferry and cross into Dong Nai and ride the rubber plantations.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/115155758

Always a good ride thru the villages and markets with noodle and fruit stop offs.

Edited by softy

I do ride from D2 where I live, we take the Cat Lai ferry quite a bit as well. Or out East, past D9. Not a lot of hills here so the 3800m gain in 153km is probably going to kill me in 2 weeks...

Rode in the Hornsby trails on the weekend. About 5 min ride from the train station and have been reopened after the m1/m2 work.

There is only about 3km of trail and a BMX style track. The tracks were great and challenging to ride well, I did about 10km in the hour i had of climb/descend over great flowing stuff. Lots of repeating the same tracks but by taking different options could make each little loop slightly different. The trails are on the side of a hill so lots of up and down on the side of what i think was a quarry. There is plans to reopen some more and extend the trails.

I really enjoy the ride and will certainly go back when i have to kill an hour or two in Hornsby (got to be better than the mall, or awaiting for kids sport to start).

So have now done 3 or 4 rides on the HT rebuild and after a long break from riding in the RNP I must say the trail fairies have been extremely busy. It is possible to ride from e Heathcote to sutherland, Kirrawee and Grays point all on narrow, windy single track and stay off all the main firetrails. Have done 2 x 1 hour rides recently almost exclusively on "new" trails I hadn't ridden before.