Tyno

Garmin FR735 XT

I'm on my 3rd one. Well. 2nd one 3rds gone.

I smashed my first at Sunny C. Bought a second one while in my hospital bed to cheer myself up. Then once out and less drugged asked Garmin re crash replacement which was a better price so I traded it and bought another and on sold it.

The prices have been falling fast. Who'd want to hold inventory ...

FYI. Rudy Project helmet. 1st wear. Broken. No crash policy.

A rare win to Garmin.

Edited by Mjainoz

So. I've had a 910 since 2011. Mixed reviews - main problem I've had is charging - ever since I brought it. It also died in the arse after 15 hours at IM cairns in 2013. Sometimes get funky read outs but generally ok. Have avoided upgrading to the 920 - colours etc & have been awaiting the 920 replacement. This does not seem like a genuine replacement.

At the moment I'm thinking of perservering with the 910 for my bike computer and multi sport racing but supplementing that with the 735 for every day wear, running and swimming.

Thoughts?

Edited by Andrew #1

The 735 can't be a 920 replacement. It doesn't have the battery life.

The 735 can't be a 920 replacement. It doesn't have the battery life.

OK - what about as a supplement for a 910 as per my post above?

I personally prefer the 735 over the 920. Plus I rate the optic HR sensor for running (most of what I do is run). I had a 225 before the 735 and also like it for the same reason.

I personally prefer the 735 over the 920. Plus I rate the optic HR sensor for running (most of what I do is run). I had a 225 before the 735 and also like it for the same reason.

Serious? I agree re: looks but the optic sensor is pretty much useless to me. Very innacurate and all over the place.

I haven't had an issue with either of the optic HR sensors. Even wore the 225 with a 210 with hr strap at the same time when I first got it just to make sure. 735 and 225 both the same. Also hate the shape and colours of the 920.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

OK - what about as a supplement for a 910 as per my post above?

Yep, could easily do that. If you were to do anything long and slow, I would suggest stopping the activity on the 735 and recording the ride on your 910, then starting a run activity on the 735 afterwards. That way you won't run out of battery. If going 10 to 12 hours you may be fine to leave the 735 recording everything. There's lots of settings and features in these things you can turn off to wring every minute of of it.

I was doing something similar, recording everything on my F3 but using my old 310 as an on bike computer, but not nothing to save the activity afterwards. But I don't bother with the 310 on my bike any more. I'm not doing anything special enough to need to know straight away how I'm riding.

• Like 1

So as an everyday watch, does the 735 do constant activity tracking? Like HR plots? Or does it only measure and record HR when you have it started in an activity?

Whats it's battery life like as an everyday watch being used say 1 hr a day in GPS and 1 hr a day GPS off, but recording HR.

I have a vivosmartHR and find the optical HR pretty good. Just it's distance accuracy is up the shit as it's stride length based and for some reason mine is all over the shop.

So as an everyday watch, does the 735 do constant activity tracking? Like HR plots? Or does it only measure and record HR when you have it started in an activity?

Whats it's battery life like as an everyday watch being used say 1 hr a day in GPS and 1 hr a day GPS off, but recording HR.

I have a vivosmartHR and find the optical HR pretty good. Just it's distance accuracy is up the shit as it's stride length based and for some reason mine is all over the shop.

Yes it does activity tracking with HR plots and it will last 1+ week without charging with that sort of use.

Â

Yes it does activity tracking with HR plots and it will last 1+ week without charging with that sort of use.

Cool, thanks. But oh crap. Now i want one

• Like 1

Tech whore!

Disclaimer - I'm a tech/wannabe tech whore

Tech whore!

ÃÂ

ÃÂ

ÃÂ

ÃÂ

ÃÂ

ÃÂ

ÃÂ

ÃÂ

ÃÂ

ÃÂ

ÃÂ

ÃÂ

ÃÂ

ÃÂ

ÃÂ

ÃÂ

ÃÂ

ÃÂ

Disclaimer - I'm a tech/wannabe tech whore

After my recent di2 bike purchase, i deserve everything u throw at me. And more.

Just call me muriel

Edited by The Turtle
  • Like 1

So, say i was rich.

Fenix 3 HR or 735?

Aside from the 735 being a wee bit cheaper, and the fenix a bit tougher, the difference?

F3 does everything the others do plus more. If you plan to go really long, it can be charged while in use using one of little usb chargers that slip in your pocket. You can also control your music player with it.

Comparison chart from Gramin: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/catalog/product/compareResult.ep?compareProduct=541225&compareProduct=545480

So the F3 is a lot bigger and heavier.

So for full time daily watch, daily activity tracking, training (gym, ride, run, swim, sup etc) and short racing, the 735 may be the winner.

If you want it to look like a watch watch then F3. If you don't care and happy for it to look like a sports watch then 735 is fine. Yes, for Ultra events the f3 is the only one that can be used while charging, and the battery is pretty small (290ma) so a tiny portable battery will charge it several times.

The f3 won't get heaps of updates in the near future.

Yes, it's big, but it's not ridiculous. The Weight is no issue. Heavier with the metal bands. The stock watch faces look great. Plenty of nice and ordinary downloadable faces. The is a tides app available for it showing high, low etc for the next week in your area.

I'm a bit of a geek, so i like keeping up with things like smartwatches etc. Ordered my son a pebble 2 for xmas and wear a pebble watch at work. I might sound biased as I have one, but I think the F3 is the best looking smartwatch\activity tracking watch on the market. I don't want my watch to be a phone, and this has just enough smart stuff to keep me happy without overloading you.

Dammit goughy. My decision is getting trickier.

I dont plan on any long stuff in the next couple of years - so the longer attery life and ability to charge isnt too much of an issue.

But the look, size, weight and normal everyday battery life is important.

Toughness probably a gud idea. But dont want to look like a tool with a giant watch

• Like 1

Dammit goughy. My decision is getting trickier.

I dont plan on any long stuff in the next couple of years - so the longer attery life and ability to charge isnt too much of an issue.

But the look, size, weight and normal everyday battery life is important.

Toughness probably a gud idea. But dont want to look like a tool with a giant watch

The day that garmin comes out with something thats a bit more slimmer than the fenix will be a good day. I want a nice watch for PE teaching at the end of next year and a slimmer version of the fenix will have me sold.

Yep, hiltz is on the money. Maybe in January at CES or something they may announce something. Many think the Fenix Chronos is the expensive version of what will be the F4. Slimmer at the expense of some battery life. Just get a Chronos now for 1.5k+ and be done with it ;)

The thing that wins with these is the battery life, and I don't mean during activity. Between my pebble and F3 I rarely have to charge once a week. Polar has come out with a fitness watch based on Android Wear which people seemed to be begging for, but just like every other smart watch it's charge it daily! F that. Had a friend who got an apple watch and it took her 2 days before she took it back. She'd had to charge it 3 times already..... She thought she had a faulty one until I told her that that's right.

The day that garmin comes out with something thats a bit more slimmer than the fenix will be a good day. I want a nice watch for PE teaching at the end of next year and a slimmer version of the fenix will have me sold.

11381965-A9FA-4FDA-92FA-E6CD56B7DC6B.jpg

Edited by Rog

Wait for the Fenix 4. It's due shortly and will be smaller.

Don't say that. Im a kid. I want it now. At the start of the season. Not mid way!

Then, the f3 will probably get cheaper. Doh!

Edited by The Turtle

Coconut water? Really? [emoji14] [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I was liking the watch until I saw the coconut water in the top corner as well...

• Like 1

I dislike that they sell it with this optical HR thing but clearly it is not ready for primetime yet.

Everytime I tried to use it was about 20bpm higher than what my heart rate was supposed to be.

I just turned it off now.

I've heard they're accurate enough for your everyday hr tracking, not as good during activity. You also miss out on all that wonderful running metrics stuff. You can just wear a strap for activities if you want.

Coconut water?

Please delete my name from your phone.

Done.

Edited by Rog

I've heard they're accurate enough for your everyday hr tracking, not as good during activity. You also miss out on all that wonderful running metrics stuff. You can just wear a strap for activities if you want.

Yup that's my experience too.

As for "wonderful running metrics", I call bullshit on that one.

• Like 1

Is that $6 change from a 20 or a 10?

From a 10 coconut water was $4.

From a 10 coconut water was $4.

For what its worth i like coconut water. 4 bucks is steep tho.

But im swaying the way of goughys F3 if i do go

Edited by The Turtle

Is that the 735?

Yes it was.

This is my stock standard non sapphire glass grey Fenix 3

49eaf5e492245f9aa5ac4e24f657a04e.jpg

And I don't have big wrists.

DWI have them both on pretty gud prices.

Sign up to their newsletter as a first time customer and 10$ off too. Their shipping is a bit ott tho

Has anybody had problems with their 735XT not pairing with a mobile device. Up until today it's been downloading data to the phone no problem, then it just suddenly stopped. I've tried pairing it again & it just doesn't want to connect. This is all I can get to.

image.png.d14313ab3d5eea5306292d4602569b14.png

image.png.607079c0ee841d663378e0a30792f14a.png