Tyno

Garmin FR735 XT

If it's similar in price to the 920, I'll sell my 920 and buy that.

Wtf is that! Doesnt look good at all!

Edit : seems it will be the same price as a 920.

Edited by Tryline
  • Like 1

Not bad. Needs cool colour scheme. I see the 14hr battery life as motivation and a challenge [emoji1][emoji1][emoji106]

You're screwed if you can't go sub 14 hours for an IM

Agreed.

If you can't make 14hr you don't deserve this watch. :)

• Like 2

Perhaps they can do a gold FR735 XT with a firmware update to only allow a 10 battery life.

Perhaps they can do a gold FR735 XT with a firmware update to only allow a 10 battery life.

And a pink one with 17 hours.

• Like 1

Will it be available in time for Cairns for Cranky..?

I don't think it's on the aussie site yet, but I know overseas it's actually in stock and shipping for orders today.

Same price as the 920xt, cept you're getting the hr built in which added about $100 to the cost of an F3.

Am I missing something (just had a mans look over the review/specs) ...... BUT don't think it has wifi???

Tell me I'm wrong :confused1:

Am I missing something (just had a mans look over the review/specs) ...... BUT don't think it has wifi???

Hmm according to the chart it doesn't which is strange, that's a feature I use. And the fact battery is 10 hours less than the 920xt means don't think I'd buy it. That's what I like about the 920 over the 910, the battery.

that might mean the 920 will come down in price :)

Nope, it's not a replacement for the 920. It's just a different model.

Wonder if they will give me one if I post it doing yoga poses and displaying my sub 7min klm splits.

And repeating my weight loss story over and over and over again....

• Like 1

That's what I read too so why would u bother that's the only reason I'd upgrade my 910 cause it's a PITA uploading to GC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think it still has bluetooth. My f3 does all it's uploads via my phone; I don't use the Wi-Fi on mine at all.

• Like 1

Think it still has bluetooth. My f3 does all it's uploads via my phone; I don't use the Wi-Fi on mine at all.

Yeah, same. Bluetooth worked first go, never got around to setting up the Wi-Fi.

looks ok, but i wonder if garmin will go the way of mobile phones. there used to be heaps of different phone on the market (there still is i guess) but your phone is now more about the applications you add to it than the phone itself. Android or iOS, that's basically it.

I wonder if Garmin will take the same approach one day and standardise on a couple different models and let the users/consumers add the applications that they need for the watch to suit their lifestyle.

Not a fan of the up/Down selector on the Left hand side of the watch though.

Safe to assume that Most Garmins are worn on Left arm?

All Tri models Up/Down have been on right side yeah? Just instinct these days with those buttons!

Heaps of #Instatrifags frolicking around in them at the moment.

Anyone had issues connecting their 920XT to corporate wifi? Mine connects fine at home, but not at work.

Saw the 735 at the expo here, at the Garmin stand. Bloody hell! So light! And actually looks pretty good in real life. If only i had a spare few hundred bucks......

Not a fan of the up/Down selector on the Left hand side of the watch though.

Safe to assume that Most Garmins are worn on Left arm?

All Tri models Up/Down have been on right side yeah? Just instinct these days with those buttons!

Heaps of #Instatrifags frolicking around in them at the moment.

Fenix models have the up/down on the left.

The over seas prices I've seen for this have it at the same price as a 920 without the hrm. Since the built in hrm seems to add $100 to other devices price, I figured here it would be the same as a 920xt. Even the tri bundle versions of each watch are the same price.

The guy at the Garmin booth at the exponsaid 599, or 699 with the hr strap. I think.

He also said its the replacement for the 920

Not surprisingly, I don't think the guy at the garmin booth has a clue ;). But, that's what I've heard when it comes to garmin in Oz (dcrainmaker suggests you ring international for advice rather than ask garmin Oz). Cept for their support, there support service has been excellent. Quite frankly, their pricing structure around the world for these watches is nuts!

Oz pricing

735xt watch only $699au

735xt hrm-run kit $789au

920xt watch only $649au

920xt hrm-run kit $699au

US Pricing

735xt Watch only $449us

735xt hrm-run kit $499us

735xt tri bundle $599us

920xt watch only $449us

920xt hrm-run kit $499us

920xt tri bundle $599us

UK Pricing

735xt Watch only 359uk

735xt hrm-run kit 389uk

735xt tri bundle 449uk

920xt watch only 389uk

920xt hrm-run kit 419uk

920xt tri bundle 479uk

So in Australia, the 735xt is about $50 to $90 dearer compared to the 920xt.

In the US they are the same price as each other.

In the UK, the 920xt is dearer by about 30pound for the equivalent packages.

What a mess that all is!

It's certainly not the replacement for the 920xt. While it includes the built in hrm, it is lesser featured. At the very least it is missing wifi and has a lesser battery life. It's clearly not aimed at the IM market short of the serious fast insects. And they increased the battery life from the 910xt to the 920xt. It is just another model. Offering something slimmer and lighter than the 920xt, and the F3.

Edited by goughy

The 14 hour battery life is a schoolboy error. With GPS, HRM & PM all running you'll be lucky if it gets you through a sprint.

Edited by zed

Thats RRP. In reality you can get the 920 with RRP $649 for less than $500 from Pushys today. Not likely to see the 735 on sale anytime soon.

And by the time it goes on sale they would've dropped the RRP of the 920.

Not surprisingly, I don't think the guy at the garmin booth has a clue ;). Â But, that's what I've heard when it comes to garmin in Oz (dcrainmaker suggests you ring international for advice rather than ask garmin Oz). Â Cept for their support, there support service has been excellent. Â Quite frankly, their pricing structure around the world for these watches is nuts!

Oz pricing

735xt watch only $699au

735xt hrm-run kit $789au

920xt watch only $649au

920xt hrm-run kit $699au

Â

US Pricing

735xt Watch only $449us

735xt hrm-run kit $499us

735xt tri bundle $599us

920xt watch only $449us

920xt hrm-run kit $499us

920xt tri bundle $599us

Â

UK Pricing

735xt Watch only 359uk

735xt hrm-run kit 389uk

735xt tri bundle 449uk

920xt watch only 389uk

920xt hrm-run kit 419uk

920xt tri bundle 479uk

Â

So in Australia, the 735xt is about $50 to $90 dearer compared to the 920xt.

In the US they are the same price as each other.

In the UK, the 920xt is dearer by about 30pound for the equivalent packages.

Â

What a mess that all is!

Â

It's certainly not the replacement for the 920xt. Â While it includes the built in hrm, it is lesser featured. Â At the very least it is missing wifi and has a lesser battery life. Â It's clearly not aimed at the IM market short of the serious fast insects. Â And they increased the battery life from the 910xt to the 920xt. Â It is just another model. Â Offering something slimmer and lighter than the 920xt, and the F3.

Haha!! the garmin guy also said it had a 40 hr battery life. Better than the 920. Sooooo full of crap

Haha!! the garmin guy also said it had a 40 hr battery life. Better than the 920. Sooooo full of crap

It depends. If you switch off GPS, bluetooth etc it could last for 40 hours. I'm guessing the 14 hours listed in the specs is with GPS on. Which still isn't enough. Not sure how long my 920XT goes for with GPS, but it's a lot longer than 14 hours.

But you can only compare the rrp at the moment. The 735 will drop in price compared to rrp at all the usual haunts after a few months too. I don't think the rrp of the 920xt is going anywhere for a while yet. I don't know how long till it's available here, but in dcr's review it lists it as available immediately, and in the comments section people have ordered it and are using it already.

Also, no barometric sensor (for elevation etc) and cause it has the built in hrm, there may not be a quick release for it.

HTA has it listed as in stock mid May.

I had my 920 yesterday. With ultratrac on it was very inaccurate, adding kilometers to the markers. Since i wanted accuracy in the event, i switched ultratrac off after an hour or so. With ultratrac off, it gave me the low batt warning after 13 hrs. That was pretty poor i reckon. But theres no point having it if its out by so many kms.

What's ultratac? I find mine is a bit all over the place as well maybe I have that on?

Yeah, ultra track is kinda useless for the normal gps user. I think maybe if you were going out on a long hike and a true gps track wasn't needed, then ok. With the F3 at least you can use it while charging, so even a little battery pack would give you at least one charge.

How long you will get out of it will depend on how you have it set up. I guess the more stuff like hrm's and footpods connected etc will sap a little battery life. Then you have to have the back light completely off, wifi off, bluetooth off etc etc etc. Then also, any additional apps you have loaded, or data pages or widgets etc, will affect battery life. Then the compass also, and barometric sensor - all should have a hit on battery life. There's a lot of stuff to remember to turn off to try and get the most out of it. What % was left when you got the warning, about 20%? So maybe 2 or 3 hours left??

What's ultratac? I find mine is a bit all over the place as well maybe I have that on?

Ultra track is a general gps setting, so I think if you have it turned on it's on for all activities. What it does is turn the gps on and gets a fix, then turns it off again to save battery life and turns it on again after a set time and gets another fix. You might have it set to every 30secs, or up to like 5 mins. If you imagine it's only getting a gps fix every 5mins, and you cover say 1km, that could be a lot of twists and turns missed. It was kinda designed for those ultra runners, but I reckon most would charge the device again rather than use it.

Yeah thanks just found it. It's under activity settings so you can change the setup for each sport independently.

Just got sent a software update as well, looking forward to seeing what it will break this time...

Edited by Rog
  • Like 2

The guy at the Garmin booth at the exponsaid 599, or 699 with the hr strap. I think.

He also said its the replacement for the 920

Not surprisingly, I don't think the guy at the garmin booth has a clue ;). But, that's what I've heard when it comes to garmin in Oz (dcrainmaker suggests you ring international for advice rather than ask garmin Oz). Cept for their support, there support service has been excellent.

Really, this is actually shocking stuff! As I said, I've had DCR respond to a message in one of his reviews regarding Garmin Oz, and he was not overly glowing! Said something along the lines of them being pretty much hopeless here, and you are better off ringing overseas for advice etc.

I mean, he's pretty much saying stuff that is completely wrong about the device, surely someone would get in a stink if they bought it based on his recommendation.

Yeah, ultra track is kinda useless for the normal gps user. I think maybe if you were going out on a long hike and a true gps track wasn't needed, then ok. With the F3 at least you can use it while charging, so even a little battery pack would give you at least one charge.

How long you will get out of it will depend on how you have it set up. I guess the more stuff like hrm's and footpods connected etc will sap a little battery life. Then you have to have the back light completely off, wifi off, bluetooth off etc etc etc. Then also, any additional apps you have loaded, or data pages or widgets etc, will affect battery life. Then the compass also, and barometric sensor - all should have a hit on battery life. There's a lot of stuff to remember to turn off to try and get the most out of it. What % was left when you got the warning, about 20%? So maybe 2 or 3 hours left??

I dont run a hr strap or foot pod. Bluetooth off. Wifi off. Had it set to smart recording, but switched ultratrac off as it was saying id done 15km at the first checkpoint which i know was 11. When the trails are twisty and slow, i need to have a good idea how far i have to the next point, and how fast im moving (or slow as the case may be).

I turned the recording off at 13 hrs, and just had it showing real time. I hd another unit in my next cp bag as i hadnt intended to drop out!

I couldnt see what % it had then, but didnt want to take the chance of having nothing. When i plugged it in to charge it up it said 18%. So i could have kept it going in hindsight. It gave me the warning just at my lowest point physicaly and mentally, so i maybe wasnt looking hard enough to see the %.

I have had it last a 19 hr run once, but had ultratrac on. It just didnt like the cliffs in the mountains i think

• Like 1

Yeah, you'd think trying to hold the signal wouldn't have helped. Funny though, I'd have thought ultra track would show less distance than more, since really all it's gonna show is a straight line to each point where it grabbed gps, regardless of how many twists and turns may have been involved.

Yeah, you'd think trying to hold the signal wouldn't have helped. Â Funny though, I'd have thought ultra track would show less distance than more, since really all it's gonna show is a straight line to each point where it grabbed gps, regardless of how many twists and turns may have been involved.

Yeah, thats what i thought too. Down at the Grampians the other week it was giving me double (almost exactly) what id actually done. When ibdownloaded it to Garmin Connect, my track was zig zagging all over the place when i was standing still. At one point, i stood still in the open and watched it clicking up the distance i was "travelling".

Good thing im giving up this ultra caper!

Even cheaper at Slane Cycles as they have a sale on at the moment.

$455 for the HRM version, $435 just for the watch!

Actually, Garmin aren't all that quick with release cycles. They've had a quick jump with some devices (f2 to f3, and vivoactive to vivoactive hr etc) as they basically had a major jump in tech with the addition of wrist hr and the connect iq platform.

But the f3 has been out nearly 2 years now, the 920 more than that. Was 2 years between 310 and 910, and then 3 years to the 920.

I'm actually thinking the release cycles will slow down again now with the new platforms.

Of course, I'm probably wrong. But I don't think Garmin is close to the release cycles of companies like Apple, Samsung, other smart watches, and golf clubs.