12 hours ago, Kenneth said:

Keep the top notch videos coming fp. That was great. 

What he said. Luvin these vids 

Have a course loaded into the 935 for navigation  on a trail, is it relatively easy following the bread crumb trail ?

On 22/11/2019 at 7:53 PM, Bosco said:

No idea, I love getting lost......

You need to take up rogaining then. Nothing like doing a 24 hr event, realising at 2a.m. having bushbashed for 3 hours looking for a tiny orange and white flag in thick bush, the pitch black, in the freezing cold, with just a head torch, detailed topo map and a compass, that you have no f****** idea where the hell you are on the map ..... if you havent actually gone off the map.  There aren't many ways to have as much fun. 🤣

• Like 2

Been looking at some trail runs for next year, first one being looked at is for a fairly iconic run near me through a national park.  Now I can run this at any time, however it appears on race day they provide one aid station across a 44km event (or 60km or 2 aid stations for the 100kms), all self-supported and no medal at the end, you get a chocolate bar as you cross the line.  The trail and maps are available publicly at anytime.

I'm thinking for the above event, the early bird entry of $80 (plus booking fee and GST) seems a bit excessive for a trail run.  Is this the common or have I just been spoilt to date doing Rohan Day's events which seem to be good value?

On 29/11/2019 at 12:53 PM, Cottoneyes said:

Been looking at some trail runs for next year, first one being looked at is for a fairly iconic run near me through a national park...

I'm thinking for the above event, the early bird entry of $80 (plus booking fee and GST) seems a bit excessive for a trail run.  Is this the common or have I just been spoilt to date doing Rohan Day's events which seem to be good value?

Like all races some are better value than others.  I'm a big fan of just going out and doing the runs (in National Parks etc) just because you can and purely for the fun of it.  Unfortunately, unless there was an event on, I'd often tend not to do it because there was no set timeframe to do it and because we're always so damn busy doing other 'stuff' that a 'run just for the fun of it' doesn't seem all that important... especially when your family just thinks your a nutter for wanting to run through the countryside for hours on end anyway.  It's much more enticing (for them) when you get to win a plastic trophy, a finishers medal or even a chocolate bar at the end of it all.

The other side of it is that because I've been prone to injuries, and am now also getting a little bit older, then it's reassuring for my family to know that there are people out there who supposedly know the area and have some idea of how to get me out of there should the need arise.  I also love 'racing' and really testing myself at times, and it's nice to know that I don't have to stick with my mates to ensure that everyone is safe.

So for me the event is just an excuse to go and do a course that I would never normally do otherwise, and do it in a safer manner than what I would on my own or with a few mates who also don't have much of an idea of the area.  My suggestion would be to consider the course and how much you want to do it, and weigh that up with the costs involved to get there (travel, accommodation, entry fees etc).  In my case the entry fees are usually only a small portion of the overall costs anyway.

Woops, Rush of blood ....... keyboards and credit cards will be death of me

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lawman said:

Woops, Rush of blood ....... keyboards and credit cards will be death of me

That'll be s blast! Wonder if FP will line up? I miss FP 😢