UTA100 for me. 4th one but first on the new course configuration. 

Just did IM and have pulled up ok so far. Will aim for sub-15. 

Wifey's 10th UTA100 - only female to do all 10. 

Hope she's quick we're on a 1.00 p.m. Sunday flight to Europe to do a spot of running in the Alps.

• Like 2

Looks like there are a few changes for the 50 and 100 for tomorrow. 

As for me, 22 done and dusted, unlikely I will do again! I prefer road running over that distance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MissJess said:

Looks like there are a few changes for the 50 and 100 for tomorrow. 

As for me, 22 done and dusted, unlikely I will do again! I prefer road running over that distance.

Well done, thats a serious trail - I heard is was cold & fog at the start

Edited by surfer101

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 7:12 PM, MissJess said:

Well done Jess.  Am surprised you prefer road running over trail running but I guess we're all different.  I guess I still like a mix of both.

How'd all you others go?  It looked like it ended up being a nice day up there.

And what about Lucy Bartholomew winning the UTA 100k in 10:52 on her 21st Birthday...  That's a sensational result, and she seems to be a really nice person too.

Well I finished in 17:45 but that was hard. My slowest UTA by 2:30. It was death by stairs for me. So many stairs!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Go Easy said:

Well done Jess.  Am surprised you prefer road running over trail running but I guess we're all different.  I guess I still like a mix of both.

I don't mind trail running when the trails are dry, or a little wet, but it was so slippery in there I could not get much momentum. Federal Pass was a mess, you would put a foot down and slide. So just ended up walking like everyone else.

Add crazy elevation changes and the fact that I could not train for it (no-one to train with), made it something I would not do again. Easier just to run road.

• Like 1

I was a DNS. Daughter admitted to hospital on Friday so pretty much no option. (She will be fine). 

Kudos to those who did it. Tough distance with a tough course in tough conditions. 

Met Lucy B in Pace briefly one day. She was just hanging out. Very very low key and seemed very nice. Was thrilled to see that she won. 

1 hour ago, PaperMan said:

I was a DNS. Daughter admitted to hospital on Friday so pretty much no option. (She will be fine). 

Hope she recovers ok.  Great seeing that you've got your priorities in order, there'll always be plenty of other races.

1 hour ago, PaperMan said:

Met Lucy B in Pace briefly one day. She was just hanging out. Very very low key and seemed very nice. Was thrilled to see that she won. 

You wouldn't pick it eh!  She just seems to love what she does and really appreciates being able to do it.

• Like 2

Wife did her first 100. Impinged her fat pas in the knee early so probably walked 20km more than would have. No buckle but finished! 

• Like 2

After being in Katoomba the other weekend and seeing the UTA50/100 vibe I got excited and signed up for a local 22km trail race in 6 weeks. (rafferty run)

All my running to date has been on paths and roads. Have no problem running that far normally on road. but who has some pointers they would to give a newbie.

I've not noticed too many differences from road to trail, however the courses are far more likely to have some inclines, and alot more often, so get some hills into your training is the first priority.  You also may need to be a bit more nimble on your feet to dodge the odd puddle / tree root / uneven terrain.  Concentrate on looking ahead of you when running, and again try to get some training done on some paths (not footpaths) if you need to develop in this area

The other big difference in trail running is you won't be handed cups for hydration, you need to be self sufficient - ie carry your own container with you which you can refill in most races at aid stations.  If not used to it start to look at getting either some flasks to carry on a belt, or a hydration pack in a vest or backpack style.  When you go longer you may need to up it to being able to carry basic first aid, and jackets in winter months on some races so if you get hooked (which you will), start to look at what you need.

• Like 3

Thanks Cottoneyes

I've started to include hills in most of my runs. I've already got a small handheld flask that i like using. not sure I'll get a vest or backpack (yet) They seem expensive, what should I look for if I decide to get one, what is everyone using?

Do you carry phone and/or bandages on all trails when training just in case? 

I don't usually go into more isolated and remote trails until I get closer to an actual event, by which time I'm running with the full backpack including phone.  If your pack is comfortable though it usually doesn't take much to throw all this in.

My backpack is usually ready to go anytime with only the phone and money / id to be added, my wife works very odd hours and I don't know until the last moment if I'm going to be able to head out and join my training group, so it's all there ready to go

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Limited said:

After being in Katoomba the other weekend and seeing the UTA50/100 vibe I got excited and signed up for a local 22km trail race in 6 weeks. (rafferty run)

All my running to date has been on paths and roads. Have no problem running that far normally on road. but who has some pointers they would to give a newbie.

Couple of things;

• If you train with a watch (always looking at pace) on the road, forget it for the trails - it will only demotivate you how much slower you will be going. Doing one of my first trail runs I'm thinking it will only be 90 mins or so - finished in 3hrs and not  because I was walking
  • The shoes you use on the road may be useless on trails depending on the type of trail it is, particularly if it's wet and/or steep
  • As cottoneyes said, be more self sufficient, doesn't mean you need to take everything with you but having stuff like band aids/paw paw cream for blisters etc can be useful when there's no servos or short cuts home
  • Oh and at some point you'll trip over a rock and plant yourself face first :)
  • Like 3

Any tricks when going up/down hills? Have tried lots of tiny quick steps, is this the best method?

11 hours ago, truck said:

Oh and at some point you'll trip over a rock and plant yourself face first :)

Yep, been there, done that... (More than once :huh:).

9 hours ago, Limited said:

Any tricks when going up/down hills?

Yeah... Don't face plant! :lol:.

Good luck with it Limited, you'll love it!

• Like 1

All right then.... I'm prepared to face plant :rolleyes:

I think you're right go easy, the little bit I've done so far I've loved

I always tell my partner which trail Im running & always speak to others I see out there eg "nice morning, cold, I cleared all the spider webs" etc etc so if anything happens Ive made a 'friend' or worse case someone might remember me cos I usually go early morning before work

In saying that, I dont go on remote trails alone. Regardless of the weather or season, the trails are always magic

• Like 1

Anyone going to the Glow Worm Trail Run?  It's a great weekend of running and I've had a great time the past couple of years but mates have all decided to skip it this year due to other priorities.  So, just wondering if anyone's going...  I'm a social creature.

http://www.glowwormtrail.com/

2 Bays trail run entries open for Jan 2018 tomorrow night at 9pm.

I'm entering the 28km, but if I can get a qualifier am hoping to upgrade it to a 56km before the end of the year.  Hoping like hell we can get the same weather as we had this year

Anyone doing the 'Tuggeranong Trot' tomorrow?

It's Trail Running done Canberra style!