Celtman run course and profile. Requirement is to carry full survival gear, nutrition and have a running partner for the 17-35km section due to its extreme nature.

Screen%20Shot%202016-07-31%20at%209.51.1

• Like 2

Put a bit of trail running into a triathlon - part of the Celtman run course at about the 19k point and once you've climbed the first munroe. Course goes all the way to the right along the ridge line and up another peak before coming back to the saddle where you descend via a scree slope.

image2.jpg

Very cool

Celtman run course and profile. Requirement is to carry full survival gear, nutrition and have a running partner for the 17-35km section due to its extreme nature.

Can u please post a list of what u carried and what u carried it in

Thanks

Ivp

Can u please post a list of what u carried and what u carried it in

Thanks

Ivp

For both you and your support runner you need;

• Map (will be provided) + Compass
  • Full Hooded Waterproof Body Cover (i.e.
  • Waterproof Jacket and Trousers
  • Additional Thermal Layer x 2
  • (e.g. microfleece, long sleeved thermal base
  • Whistle
  • Headtorch
  • Hat + Gloves
  • Sufficient Food + Water
  • Between you, you will also need to carry:
  • 1 x Mobile Phone,
  • 1 x Survival Bag (issued at registration, large orange plastic type)
  • foil blankets are not acceptable,
  • and 1 x 1st Aid Kit.
  • 1 x GPS Tracker -­‐ this will be issued to you on the morning of race day. - people can track your exact position on line but its mainly for the benefit of mountain rescue

I used the inov-8 race ultra 10 which it all fitted pretty well into. Used 2 x 500ml flexible drink holders with it - the water on the mountain is safe to drink

https://www.inov-8.com/race-ultra-10.html

• Like 1

For both you and your support runner you need;

• Map (will be provided) + Compass

Wonder how many people still know how to use a map and compass? Do they give any instruction in the briefing at all?

Â

Wonder how many people still know how to use a map and compass? Â Do they give any instruction in the briefing at all?

Yeah good point and my guess is not too many. They didn't give out any additional instructions but do a full gear check both at rego and at t2a before they let you up the mount is on the day. Having the phone is pretty useless tbh - it's so remote there's no mobile reception either so if that's your fall back as either a compass or mapping that's not going to work. To me it's a big plus to the race in that they don't surround you in cotton wool and there are clear risks to be managed.

Having said that they stop people going up the mountain after 11hrs (you then go around the base and get the white t shirt and not the blue one) and mountain rescue will stop you after the first climb if you take longer than 1.45hrs and/or look worse for wear. Biggest risk in the mountains is low cloud coming in - the safe trail isn't that wide and I don't know if a compass would be good enough for that scenario.

• Like 1

Put a bit of trail running into a triathlon - part of the Celtman run course at about the 19k point and once you've climbed the first munroe. Course goes all the way to the right along the ridge line and up another peak before coming back to the saddle where you descend via a scree slope.

image2.jpg

Wow, that's some run! Love this kind of stuff.

Yes, map reading skills may come in handy. Hopefully you don't need them but crucial if you do!

I spent a number of years doing Orienteering so hopefully know my way around a map!

Well, weekend of the Wonderland run is upon me and I get to find out whether this trail running gig is going to be for me, hope so as I've already entered 2 further races between now and Feb and seriously eyeing off another one next month depending on how I pull up after this weekend.

Weather is not doing any favours, despite good weather up until today, the course is being shown with some mud and water in parts. "Possible showers" above 70% chance with rain fall of 1-5mm is expected. Read a race report during the week from a guy last year who twisted his ankle in the first few kms, however he was really upbeat about how great the vollies and first aid personnel were so that's a positive.

If anyone is doing the course / has done it, I'd like to know how it compares to the 6 foot track as I've got that one on the bucket list to tick off in the next few years

• Like 1

Wonderland looks pretty wet unfortunately.

The anisport is down there.

I never got my shi* together for a qualifying

Wonderland looks pretty wet unfortunately.

Bloody wet would be closer to the actual, however it was still amazing. Will write up a full race report when I get the work piled up from yesterday under control

I've just started off road Mtb and trail running in the last 12 months. I've just done another trail run in the Queensland Run series. It has been so much fun. Two of the runs were at Wild Horse Mountain (between Sunny Coast and Brisbane) with one of them being a night run. I was nervous to enter having not run at night a lot but this was SO MUCH FUN!!!! Just my Ayups and the bush and I had a blast!!! Last weekend I did the last of the series at Rainbow Beach. Again a lot of fun .... even running across a huge sand blow! Really glad a friend introduced me to trail running! I have loved it so far!!

Edited by Cupcake
  • Like 2

Â

Bloody wet would be closer to the actual, however it was still amazing. Â Will write up a full race report when I get the work piled up from yesterday under control

Looking forward to reading it!

I did a few training trips there for TNF, but didnt get organised to get a qualifying toime to do the race. Did most of the course though and thought it would be slick if wet!

Race report is up under tri reports. Slick when wet is an understatment, downhill bits were like grease and lost my footing on many occasions, lucky to have only one spill. Hope to see you there next year Turtle

• Like 1

Race report is up under tri reports. Â Slick when wet is an understatment, downhill bits were like grease and lost my footing on many occasions, lucky to have only one spill. Â Hope to see you there next year Turtle

Nice one, cheers. Hope to give it a go!

I ran Coastal High 50 yesterday. Bloody tough course. Extremely beautiful though. A lot of my training was done out on the course, but stringing it all together for the 50k was a different story.

I got home in 7.03. I thought I'd get somewhere between 7-7.30 and a hope of sub 7hrs if everything went right. It was pretty close to perfect except some niggling cramps popping up from 40km onwards.

I'll be back next year and highly recommend it to anyone, great event.

• Like 2

I ran Coastal High 50 yesterday. Bloody tough course. Extremely beautiful though.

Well done. I had some friends that did it this year and the photos of it looked great. Lots of creek crossings.

Thought no-one would ask :lol:

Goretex Transalpine Run, will likely be the greatest experience of my life.

Its on again now - here's some cool pics from last nights stage 3 (hope the link works)

https://www.facebook.com/transalpinerun/photos/pcb.1212031612189786/1212027728856841/?type=3&theater

• Like 2

Ran the Enogerra Dam trail race this morning (12.7k and around 450m of elevation for the long course). Nice tough course, pretty decent turn out with Amberger taking out the long course and Gentle taking out the women's short course - must be a triathlete thing!

• Like 1

Was lucky enough to have a crack at the Hume and Hovell Ultra last weekend up at Tumbarumba. I only did the 22km Trail Run event but the course was sensational. With all the recent rain in the hills the creeks were up and the place looked spectacular. Plus Saturday was a cracking day and it was fantastic weather to be out on the trails. The organisers put on some superb, but super tough events. So tough that in the 100 miler only about half of the runners actually made it to the finish line. Great weekend!

• Like 1

Was lucky enough to have a crack at the Hume and Hovell Ultra last weekend up at Tumbarumba. I only did the 22km Trail Run event but the course was sensational. With all the recent rain in the hills the creeks were up and the place looked spectacular. Plus Saturday was a cracking day and it was fantastic weather to be out on the trails. The organisers put on some superb, but super tough events. So tough that in the 100 miler only about half of the runners actually made it to the finish line. Great weekend!

Gees mate, wish I'd known, I was crewing for my wife in the miler. Liz was one of those who didn't make it, pulled the pin at the Pines at 85k. She was about an hour up on schedule but the thought of another 78k's got into her head. I got into trouble for letting her quit!!! Can't win. I did hear that the last finishers in the miler didn't get in until 4 p.m. Sunday arvo, that's a long time to be out.

I did cover plenty of the course and I've never seen it so green, lush and beautiful down there.

We're going back next year. Liz to beat the miler and me to put a team together for the relay. Might be a chance to podium if there is only one team again! Are you interested in joininmg a relay team?

Edited by lawman
  • Like 1