Sign in to follow this  
Diamonds

BB seizing up

Had the mtb fully submerged a few times during Xterra. Took it through the carwash on the way home, lubed the chain and it has been on the rack since.

Just pulled it out and it takes some effort to just turn the cranks over in either direction. Feels like the bottom bracket has almost seized.

Anyone had this before? Should I just ride it and hope it frees up or take it straight to the Drs?

Yeah currently got this problem....

Made the mistake of leaving bike sitting idle...eg uncleaned after last years Highland Fling and have been using other bike.....

Backpedalled a bit the other night....and the cranks barely moved....thought oh that aint good.....

Suspect after I give it a decent clean will need to find someone to pull BB apart and service/replace it....yikes.....

BB cups/sealed bearings are cheap enough, I'd get new ones. Ceramic bearings shouldn't corrode.

Trying to open up the bearings isn't impossible but when you find them rusted all you can do is pump in some good bearing grease and hope the corrosion is only superficial and with new lube they'll free up and start moving again. If you know what you are doing it might be possible but I wouldn't pay someone else to do it. Paying for a new BB will probably be cheaper and you can be certain the outcome will be an improvement instead of time wasted.

Thx Slowman. Hit Mt Keira this arvo and it freed up somewhat. I might pull it apart on the weekend and suss the bearings out.