I'm downgrading from 100km to 50km...

After 3 months off with fatigue and being told to start slow, i don't think attempting 100km is very smart...

:shy::shy::shy::shy:

• Like 1

Just got back from the pool. It's been raining for a day and a half, there was me and one other person swimming, it was lunch time the pool is 25m. There were 6, yes 6 lifeguards watching us, talking amongst themselves, another was hosing and two more were in the office eating chips and talking as I walked out. Maybe that's why we have the highest rates outside Sydney

My ipad2 is too slow these days to download any new app, or basically do anything on, so I've not added to the spreadsheet. Nearly liberated my Apple Air Mac PC back from my wife on the weekend but didn't quite pull that off. Will have another go sometime this week.

In the meantime can someone put me down for the following 3 sessions:

Wednesday 4/5/16 - 1.8km (main set 2(8x100M on 1:45) avg. pace 1:33)

Thursday evening squad - 2.8km

Sunday - 2.1km (main set 1.9km in 31:00 minutes)

Thanks A

Edited by Andrew #1

I fixed it for you Trinube. You started him on Tuesday. :)

That won't happen again ;)

I have logged a massive 600m so far. Bit of work to do this weekend to get back on track.

20% ahead of me... slow down there, Thorpey

EHB, you are killing us with your enthusiasm. Great stuff.

FM

I'm loving it.

I've got my times laid out for 100, 200, 400, 500, 1km, 1.9, 2, 3.3 (dam) and 3.8; and target times for what I want at the end of the season for each. I've only hit the 3.8km so far, but am going to have a go at the 100m, and try for a 200m PB, as well as a full training set built around them.

I'll probably only get 3 or 4 of the times, but I've had a ball chasing PB's for all the different distances, and knocked a lot of time off my swims getting there. For someone who's very goal oriented, and competitive with themselves, it's a fun way to keep the enthusiasm there when you can't race, and I chase 2 or 3 PB's every week.

• Like 1

I do a few hundred metres of breastroke & backstroke, but don't time it. It's usually the rest between hard sets. I do it mainly to get some other muscles working and not just load up the same ones all the time.

I tried butterfly a couple of times, but could feel my right shoulder telling me not yet. maybe next season it will be strong enough around the rotator cuff to do a little bit.

Good stuff Ex. I must say I struggle for motivation (and time) sometimes but I love the feeling as things start to come back. Even though I'm still only doing short swims I just feel so much better in the water already and if I can keep doing it I expect to feel really good at the end of Winter. I do have a bit of a grindy right shoulder but it seems to be holding up for now - I guess I just have to make sure I don't overload it too early.

I am off the mark after a race on the weekend but it seems like it will be a while until I get in water again...

Joining a new squad tonight, so be interesting to see how it goes.

Joining a new squad tonight, so be interesting to see how it goes.

Let me know. I'm thinking about it for next season. 3 squads a week, and unlimited pool entry, $320 for 22 weeks ($14.50 a week). Not a top end coach, but I think it's more about getting me doing real sets instead of some of the playing around I do now.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Let me know. I'm thinking about it for next season. 3 squads a week, and unlimited pool entry, $320 for 22 weeks ($14.50 a week). Not a top end coach, but I think it's more about getting me doing real sets instead of some of the playing around I do now.

Yeah I just swim better when in a squad.

Yeah I just swim better when in a squad.

I think I'm the same. People to pace against to keep me honest. I'll name drop here, but my last 3 squad coaches were Michael Bohl, Col Stewart & Brett Sutton. What did I do wrong to end up a nuffink?

Just finished my fourth swim in four days. That would be a record streak for the past 8-9 years. Not long swims, but a start.

• Like 3

It's definitely Autumn at last. Cold enough at 5am to put on socks. The water at the pool is warm as usual. Another weeks target ticked by day 4.

It's definitely Autumn at last. Cold enough at 5am to put on socks. The water at the pool is warm as usual. Another weeks target ticked by day 4.

I actually had to put a jacket on when I got out of the pool this morning. And tomorrow's supposed to be 5 degrees cooler. I don't like this.

Joins new squad, treats the 800m WU like a TT, smashing everyone then dies half way through the main set.. :sadwalk:

• Like 3

treats the 800m WU like a TT, smashing everyone then dies half way through the main set.. :sadwalk:

Are you me? Thought I was the only one.

• Like 2

A balmy 7° at the pool this morning and every lane taken :taz: 2.5km - I'm guessing that's my longest swim since last year's Winterfish.

On a side note, had a nice chat to a young lady who came 3rd in her AG at Port and didn't get a KQ because there were only 2 slots. Finished in a better time than last year when she did qualify.

Edited by trinube

Very happy to finish week 2 off 11km up on the 2km a day mark, though with the local pool closing in 2 weeks, and a week holidaying in the snow, I may need everything I can get early.

A quick 2km this morning before leaving early to queue up at Aldi for cheap snow gear (with everybody else in Brisbane I think). Only 1 other in the pool (haha Trinube) and it was lovely & warm. Pumped out a PB for 200m this morning as well, so very happy with how things are going. Tomorrow may be a bit tougher, as after this last week where the temp has dropped markedly, the dam is likely to be a lot cooler than it has been.

Did 2.5k with a pull buoy at UQ this morning then lay in the sun for half an hour. Must have been at least 25 degrees i think i got a bit burnt. #notreallyautumn.

Very happy to finish week 2 off 11km up on the 2km a day mark, though with the local pool closing in 2 weeks, and a week holidaying in the snow, I may need everything I can get early.

Great start Ex - I only remembered at the end of the week I said 57 rather than 50 so I'm trying to get a couple of km in credit...

Three swims this week for 8km in total.

Didn't ride at all, but did manage to do 2 short easy runs!

Feeling good!

• Like 1

I saw the biggest blue groper ever this morning. Didn't find the giant cuttlefish but did see the puffer fish yesterday and what may be the last sighting of dusky whalers for this season. Water temperature is dropping quite quickly now, down to 19.5.

And I'm over 25k in the fortnight.

Edited by tortoise
  • Like 1

I saw the biggest blue groper ever this morning. Didn't find the giant cuttlefish but did see the puffer fish yesterday and what may be the last sighting of dusky whalers for this season. Water temperature is dropping quite quickly now, down to 19.5.

I read over 300 there this morning :shocking:

The dam was bloody cold this morning. Last outing there for me I'm afraid, until I can fit back into my wetsuit anyway. Tried for 4km, but it was just toooooo cold, so pulled the pin at 2km. I'm still shivering a little over an hour later.

Hot chocolate, heater, blanket, and on the lounge watching last night's Giro stage. That should help me warm up. :)

Yeah, winter is starting to arrive in the mornings. Another 7° morning here. Went at 6.30 and at least got a lane to myself. I should point out the pool is still a delightful 26°.

Whilst mindlessly lapping today I had a few thoughts for a modified 'official' target - amazing how the minds drifts.

I reckon if you're over 50 your target should be 50 - your years over 50. So if I'm 57 my 'target' should be 43 (50-7). If you're under 50 your target should be 50 + your years under 50. So if you're 35 your target should be 65 (50+15). Superfish would be double that. Gives a bit of assistance to those of us who are in the more mature age groups :)

Of course, people can also nominate whatever they like.

Edited by trinube

19.4 at Manly. Damned cold for over 60 min in the water. I might have to go back to singles until it drops below 18 and I pull the wettie out for winter. Last year I made it to early July.

Well it's all turned to shit for me. Pool shut again for 2 days and again next weekend and the one after. To top it off couldnt swim all week due to an ear infection from swimming, I'll be lucky to make it

Well it's all turned to shit for me. Pool shut again for 2 days and again next weekend and the one after. To top it off couldnt swim all week due to an ear infection from swimming, I'll be lucky to make it

That sucks but there's still 30+ days to go to get back on track. Just do whatever you can - it's always better than nothing.

• Like 1

Righto I'll try and right the ship tomorrow, this ear is still infected and sore tho, it completely blocked up on tue and had to have the pus and black gunk flushed out. eww

• Like 1

I feel so lazy this morning after waking up very tired & deciding not to swim. That's the problem on the days I work from home. If I had to go into the city, then I may as well go via the pool. If I don't have to leave the house, it's a special trip to get to the pool.

Maybe I'll manage to get in this afternoon. :)

Missed yesterday's 5:30am session as pool was closed due to electrical problems. Many grumpy people leaving! :sleepy:

I was amazed how tired I was most of the day, and was too buggered to even contemplate a 6:30pm evening replacement session at another pool instead.

How come I'm not tired like that after actually doing the 5:30am sess? I actually feel quite "alive" driving home and for the rest of the day at work? :sleepy:

Never figured I'd like early sessions but am really enjoying them, well, all 5 weeks of them so far. ;)

gw

I never made it to the pool this afternoon, but have decided to "punish" myself with a 2km TT tomorrow.

That'll teach me to miss a session. :)

I'm swimming in a 25m pool at the moment and it's so warm because all the old farts complained about the temperature. So it's now like a sauna. Anything longer than 200/300m I'm starting to feel very ordinary...

A bit of a down patch last week, but trying to get back into it this week. Motivation is low as my swimming just doesn't feel right since I'm back in a chlorinated pool. I'm a little slower which is expected, but I didn't expect to feel so crap in the water - yes for the first couple of swims, but it's over 2 weeks on and I still haven't adapted to non salt water pool. Any tips/suggestions? I've been told my body position is good in the water, so I don't know what it is.

Glorious lunchtime at the pool 27°. Wasn't feeling it for the first 700 but got into the swing of it and got my bit done for the day. Can't believe I've done 7 out of the past 9 days.

Been 2 days in a row so far this week, thanks for the boot up the arse trinube, just what I needed to stop being such a whinging softcock!!

I'm a little slower which is expected, but I didn't expect to feel so crap in the water - yes for the first couple of swims, but it's over 2 weeks on and I still haven't adapted to non salt water pool. Any tips/suggestions?

Wouldn't have a clue about swimming form etc, but I do know pool depth can have an impact on speed, though it would probably be minimal unless you're a gun swimmer.

With all training most of us go through patches where you don't seem to be getting any improvement and sometimes feel like you're going backwards... try not to stress to much about it, you'll be back. Just concentrate on your form, don't overdo it and make sure you recover well, you'll be fine.