Okay, in the spirit of last year, when we kicked off Winterfish at the start of May, we will do the same again. I don't want to hear the usual complaints about it not being Winter, blah, blah, blah.

My pool closes at the end of May, so I'm getting it in before then.

Same rules as last year:

Transitions Winter Fish 2015!

It's back! And it's not even Winter!

Yes, by popular demand, Transitions Winter Fish is starting early this year, bit like taking a run-up. Or whatever. Anyway.

Spreadsheet coming soon, but to whet the appetite, here's what we know so far:

Start Date: Sunday, 1st May 2016

Final Day: Sunday, 19th June 2016

Categories:

1. Winter Fish. Swim 50km in 50 Days.

2. Superfish. Swim 100km in 50 Days.

3. Poor Comprehension Fish. Run 50km in 50 Days*

* only applies if you're The Antisport.

Where do I record my results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BCe7_P6y_R0xrI0PQCc-9D3eXH7rPSgd0E_2jLWtiwk/edit?usp=sharing

Rules:

1. If you respond to any discussion about Winter Fish by pointing out that 50km isn't very far, add 50km.

2. Any other stupid comments, add 50km.

3. If you ask any question at any time that's already covered by this post, add 50km.

4. If you fall into category (1) above, and subsequently fail to swim at least 100km, add 50km for next year as well.

5. No nude swimming.

6. If you complete an Ironman and then complain the week after that you're tired and/or taking a break from swimming, add 50km.

7. Trinube, add 50km.

Can I combine it with Biggest Loser: Hopefully. But I don't own that spreadsheet.

Why is it called Winter Fish when it's mostly taking place in Autumn: Add 50km.

Let me know if you're in, and what category.

And always remember the Winter Fish motto: "training is hard, but lard floats".

Also adding the annual questionnaire, for those who want to add a bit more colour to the thread:

1. What distance are you in for?

2. Longest swim completed so far (WF or otherwise)?

3. Have you attempted the Winter Fish before, and with what results?

4. Do you have a plan for getting it done?

5. Biggest threat to success for you?

6. Why is ancient Kushite history more peaceful than Greek history?

One thing I will have to ask though. Mank or TP, would either of you be able to set up the spreadsheet like last year to get this underway.

Until then, everybody just let us know your intentions, and start slagging out on everyone else, like normal.

Use this link:

Try this for a new sheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BCe7_P6y_R0xrI0PQCc-9D3eXH7rPSgd0E_2jLWtiwk/edit?usp=sharing

Put your name in the "Swimmer" Column

Superfish down the bottom.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Game on. I need an ocean swim sub category and I plan to keep the wetsuit in the cupboard until at least 1 July.

Game on. I need an ocean swim sub category and I plan to keep the wetsuit in the cupboard until at least 1 July.

Make it OW. I'm planning a sneaky 10km in the dam again next Sunday, so that should kick it off to a good start. :)

Try this for a new sheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BCe7_P6y_R0xrI0PQCc-9D3eXH7rPSgd0E_2jLWtiwk/edit?usp=sharing

Put your name in the "Swimmer" Column

Superfish down the bottom.

Thanks Tyno.

I've now added the link to the opening post.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Perfect timing. The new 25yd pool in my backyard is being filled with water as I type.

If I do 100km that will be more than I swim in a year. So lets sign up for that!

Can't edit on IPad.

Someone put me in for Winterfish.

Done for 50km

Edited by trinube
  • Like 1

Hehe - 50 for me.

Soft! and moved to 50k

Edited by trinube

In for 50 again, need some motivation to do something, our local outdoor pool closed last sat, 4 degrees overnight next week on a couple of days

I will give it a try. Put me down for the 50. Luckily I have a 1.9 km swim this Sunday. Will hopefully have bad navigation and end up doing 2 kms. LOL

FM

Done you Andrew.

I'll do you too Tryline

100 for both wasn't it?

Haha. I wouldn't be able to fit the biking and running in!

Anybody in Brisbane want to kick off on May 1 with a swim at Enoggera Reservoir? Leaving the beach at 6am, 7am, & maybe 8am. Join in for 1 lap or 3?

There will probably be a number of other swimmers there from a few clubs and squads, so just look for the slightly overweight guy with black jammers and blue goggles. All the other pussies will have wetsuits on.

Sorry EXH, I actually set the new sheet up today and had just come into the forum to post it... looks like the good work is already done.

We should probably have an updated quiz this year also.

Lemme think:

1. What distance are you shooting for?

2. Are you currently training for anything specific?

3. Where will you be doing your swimming kms for Winterfish?

4. What's your biggest sporting achievement in the past 12 months?

5. Share one thing you're disappointed about regarding your fitness over the past 12 months.

Lemme think:

5. Share one thing you're disappointed about regarding your fitness over the past 12 months.

Love your work Mank.

1) 57, I'm going to stretch to reach my age

2) no, but when I swim regularly my chronic back problems are lessened

3) Birrong Pool - beautiful 50m pool, 26° year round and have it to myself in Winter - I'm often the only person in the centre. Will aim for a Winter Solstice swim at Manly with Tortoise.

4) Did my first ever Yoga class and smashed it. I go twice a week now and it has helped enormously (see answer 2). I'm surprised how physically demanding it is.

5) Not so much disappointed but I have to be very careful with weight. As I get older it's getting harder and harder to keep it off. I manage but even eating really well it can creep up.

Â

Lemme think:

Â

Fitty

Sprint worlds in Mexico

In a pool

Ultraman Oz

Too many holidays, injuries and illnesses.

Thanks Mank. And I don't seem to be getting the heat for starting early either. Looks like you warmed everyone to the idea last year. :)

Going for 100 this year. The last 2 years I haven't made 30km, but so far this year I've averaged 1.8km a day, so I'll stretch & try for 2 a day. If I manage 10km tomorrow it'll be a good start (though I've just been invited to a party over the back, so it may be a late one).

Not really. I can't run or ride, so I'm getting a lot of swimming in. I just noticed next year's National Masters Swimming Championships are on the GC, so I may target them.

For the first month I'm swimming at Samford Pool. It closes on the 28th, so then I'll have to travel a lot further out of the way to swim, and pay entry fee, so won't go as often. If I lose enough weight, I'll get into my wetsuit & jump back into Enogerra Reservoir.

Nothing really. I suppose I swam 10km a month or so ago. I've never done that before.

I can't ride hard or run. It's really pissing me off.

50km, but I hope to get between 60 and 70km

Nope

My pool is closing, so I'll probably do a bit of pool tourism and the occassional wetsuit ocean swim.

Sub 45min 10km in a triathlon. And doing what Tortoise did last year...

Just as I was getting ready to switch to run mode, I go and get me a stressie. Another 8weeks no run...

Edited by BogFrog

50 but thinking about changing up

Training for fun only

Swimming in the local indoor 25m pool

All I've done in the last year is 1 sprint race and a mountain run

I'm really disappointed my ongoing back conditions continue to worsen so much so I can barely run or ride,ran 3 times a week for a month leading up to the mountain run and have been crippled since

I'm really disappointed my ongoing back conditions continue to worsen so much so I can barely run or ride,ran 3 times a week for a month leading up to the mountain run and have been crippled since

Seriously, it's unlikely your back is worse than mine (I've already had 2 ops including a fusion). Find a Yoga class and give it a go for at least 6 weeks - I was stunned by the change.

Good timing, I'm about to start doing a bit of training after having 6 weeks off.

I've really got to get out of this slump!

50km. Would like to think I could do more but doubt I'll have the time. Am also hoping to get a few runs in as well.

Nah, not really. Like Trinube and others I've got a crook back that is usually much better when I'm doing some regular swimming.

Local 25m Indoor Heated Pool.

Favourite session is 8 x 250m Free then 25m Snorkel Kick (no recovery).

My youngest son and his partner had a baby 6 weeks ago, and everyone congratulates me when I tell them that I'm now a granfather... I'll take that!

Haven't really been looking after myself lately, but have been having one hell of a good time. No regrets, but I wish I'd maintained a little bit of regular exercise to make the comeback a bit easier. Consistency is the key!

1 taking after trinube, 62,

2 no, see 4 below

3 Mon, Wed, Waves at Baulkham Hills. Fri, Sat, Sun, Manly with the gorgeous wildlife.

4 I retired following Club Champs. I always promised that the race master tortoise beat me would be my swan song. Walking 8km let him sneak in by about 10minutes.

5 Retiring, and that my knees are rubbish. Plus the not so slow weight creep.

Off to a flying start. 10km today, and got under 3hr, without cramps. :)

Required average has now dropped from 2km/day to 1.85km/day. double :)

In for 50, anything to get me in the water.

1. 50

2. A local Oly in 4 wks time but otherwise general fitness.

3. Pool and open water lagoon

4. Finished my first Ironman in Malaysia

5. I'm still struggling with motivation and it's been almost 6 mths since the Ironman!

1. 50. While 100 would be nice, I just don't see it happening.

2. Busso, 32? weeks to go.

3. Which ever Canberra pool fits the day (usually Tuggers)

4. 2 HIM'x on consecutive weekends on close to zero training

5. Why did I have zero training? 8 weeks before, My knee got damaged 320km into a 450km bike weekend. currently 6kg heavier than November :(