Parkside

Places to Ride- Sydney

Looking for greener pastures, something different to ride. Came across Wylde, Mt Annan and Kentlyn in my research. Anyone ridden these? Any details would be great? How do they compare to Menai and Loftus/RNP?

Rode and Raced at Mt Annan last year....loved it....fun challenging course....tough on hot day....

haven't found Wylde yet, but its on the hit list....

Yarrumundi is also pretty good, and the Western Sydney club hold regular races there for those that are looking for that sort of thing... www.wsmtb.com

Mowbray park at picton was another new one last year to race on....believe the local Wollondilly club hold regulars there, however don't believe its open to public

Edited by Shrek
  • Like 1

Wylde from what I've heard is a lot less technical than Menai with a lot of pedalling. You could head south to Blackbutt forest near Shellharbour. A lot of fun flowing trails and a few fun downhills which aren't overly technical. I have a sekrit location at Picnic Point which has a bit of everything. A lot of fun and virtually no one rides there. I usually do a warm up from Illawong down the Bike path which takes around 20 mins, do an hour or so of trails and then head home.

• Like 2

Manly Dam is popular for those over north side of the bridge....did it coupla times few years back....wasn't too bad....but given the drive there and back....meh....

Rode Wylde today. Did the 12km loop and it took me an hour exactly. Combination of lack of bike fitness, stopping to check maps etc. I can see this being a course guys would ride with a Strava addiction.

It is a great complex with 4 loops: Kids, 3km, 6km and 12km and the design is good so all the longer trails peel off the shorter ones and you don't re-ride any sections. Would be much better with a dunny and coke vending machine on site. I would hate to ride it in summer, it was hot today, would be stinking in January. I only took a litre in the camelback and drank it all well before getting back. The place must be a snake sanctuary, signs everywhere, including the entrance courtyard of the shooting centre next door. On the trail it looked and felt very snaky, long dense grasses and dams very close to an almost overgrown single trail.

Comparing to Menai (ridden only a few times) and RNP/Loftus/Grays point which I have ridden for ages, it is not technically difficult at all but aerobically harder. I didn't have to lift my front wheel up anything and you can do the whole thing and not get a wheel off the ground on dirt the whole way if you wanted to. It is all single track on packed dirt. The design is a bit weird in that there are berms, rock gardens and jumps put in places on ascents which don't make sense. I was constantly wondering whether I was riding the wrong way on the trail. Once I worked out I wasn't, I then wondered whether they have designed it so the can switch directions at some time in the future. The design of the ascents is a bit different to construction I have seen elsewhere in that they don't have numerous switchbacks going up a fall line and there was a fair few sharp pinches on the climbs, which come often. On a heavy all mountain bike you'd be hating life or using a small gear often. I found it a fitness challenge so for a triathlete who wants to get their heart rate up it is a good choice.

There are a number of flowy sections which I would probably enjoy more once familiar with the trail, some plastic 180 degree berms and jump sections on the back half that could be fun. The Roly Poly feature needs to be ridden slowly and manualled off the drop off, there is a well signposted B line for it and for another off camber log drop soon after (which falls into a dam if you don't stick it), you can't drop your front wheel off it and need to manual that as well.

I had a short play in the pump track and jump park but seeing as the arse end of my bike is swaying in the breeze and on its last legs I didn't do much.

I'm planning a first look at Mt Annan as well, both it and Wylde are 10 minutes past the M7 bike path starting point so easily accessible from the Shire, free and worth the drive I thought. I'd like to have a crack at Wylde again on a hard tail and with some more riding under my legs and with familiarity or behind someone who knows it I'm sure I'd enjoy it more.

Edited by Parkside
  • Like 1

. Would be much better with a dunny and coke vending machine on site. I would hate to ride it in summer, it was hot today, would be stinking in January. I only took a litre in the camelback and drank it all well before getting back. The place must be a snake sanctuary, signs everywhere, including the entrance courtyard of the shooting centre next door. On the trail it looked and felt very snaky, long dense grasses and dams very close to an almost overgrown single trail.

I believe that the facilities, toilets and taps at the Equestrian Centre are generally utilised....however yeah similar to Mt annan must get warm in the open sections...

I believe that the facilities, toilets and taps at the Equestrian Centre are generally utilised....however yeah similar to Mt annan must get warm in the open sections...

It's the shooting centre next door you can use for toilets and a shop at Wylde.

To add: the design must be good in that there was no track erosion I could see, design plus the fact it's shut after wet weather must help keep it in good nick.

There is also a bike wash so you can hose off the beast before driving home, and a big picnic shelter thing to sit in at the car park if you BYO food or waiting for mates to finish.

• Like 1

I've seen snakes whilst riding the concrete bike paths through Cecil Hills so I wouldn't be surprised if it was snake heaven in the bush. And yeah, it can get stinking hot out there in the Summer.

Great report though, many thanks.

Kentlyn is well worth the trip, much better than Mt Annan and only a few minutes further, plenty of variety but apart from the Rocky Trail it's not well marked. I usually start in Sirius St. Probably best to do it with someone who knows their way around or check out Strava. Appin is also pretty good & I hear that there is some new stuff there. Menai is getting better as more work gets done and there is also the stuff between the Ansto car park and the baseball field at Barden Ridge.

Is Appin open, thought I'd read online it is shut down?

Well, the traditional landowners removed permission for the mtb club to use it as home.

Not sure if recreationally it is still ridden.

Anyone checked the trails along the escarpment to the south of us?

I think there is stuff north of sublime.

Edited by Slowman

Anyone checked the trails along the escarpment to the south of us?

Â

I think there is stuff north of sublime.

Join the "Illawarra mtb alliance" or at least look at their page. Lots of talk over the years but the Council have engaged the mob behind Buller and Derby Tas to advise them on the potential of a purpose built mtb park. It'd be very handy to have a Stromlo type joint 2kms from my house!

• Like 1

Soo the obvious question is....

When are we having a ride day????

• Like 1

Good call Rox. I am happy to come up to Loftus or Menai. Sat arvos would suit me around kids w/e sport.

Happy to host for a few, but each to take their chances with NPWS. None of the trails have "no ride" signage where I ride(because I think it goes missing pretty quickly after posting) but the legality of trail use is not clear.

Soo the obvious question is....

When are we having a ride day????

Yes, when o' mighty one?

Cant do this weekend, wife is forcing me to go camping for Mothers day (I dont do camping!!!)

On the upside we are going to Wingello which apparently has good MTBing, so its not sooo bad :lol:

But after that Im sweet.

We're heading to the Mountains for Mother's Day but there won't be bikes along for the ride. I think we're going to walk down to the three sisters.

Cant do this weekend, wife is forcing me to go camping for Mothers day (I dont do camping!!!)

On the upside we are going to Wingello which apparently has good MTBing, so its not sooo bad :lol:

But after that Im sweet.

Wingello is nice and warm at this time of year...... :shocking::shocking: NOT...gets cold overnight/early morning....

but yeah awesome tracks are about...

But after that Im sweet.

You could always go to the Old Goulburn Brewery and reminisce... :naughty:

You could always go to the Old Goulburn Brewery and reminisce... :naughty:

:lol: Yeah. The good old days. Saw Sluggo on the weekend.

:lol: Yeah. The good old days. Saw Sluggo on the weekend.

Yeh, I saw Fleur raced!

So where do you think this group ride will be? Could be a fun outing!

I've only ridden Kurnell National Park so I'm open to the wisdom of the more experienced

I've only ridden Kurnell National Park so I'm open to the wisdom of the more experienced

I don't know how that compares to Loftus or Menai so far as difficulty goes so I can't really comment. I rode Menai about 3 weeks ago and decided I needed to make some changes to my bike inc a shorter stem to get through all the uphill twists and turns. There are several 1-2 foot drops which could be daunting if you've not done any. Easy enough to walk down. Haven't done much at Loftus other than fire trails.

I rate Menai the most technically difficult stuff in the Shire, based on 3 rides there alone without wheels to follow.

I would suggest perhaps meeting at East Heathcote for an easy firetrail loop warmup then down to Blair Witch, Loftus Oval, the short course at Waratah, back in to the new singletrack ziggy/zaggy and temptation creek single track. Kill a good couple of hours, some rocky stuff, some climbs and some easier stuff.

• Like 1

Wingello is nice and warm at this time of year...... :shocking::shocking: NOT...gets cold overnight/early morning....

but yeah awesome tracks are about...

Yes and they are quite well marked too so you'll really only need the map to find the trail start.

Edited by Slowman

Did the 24k this morning.

F$&k me!!!

While my fitness was ok I got a wake up in the skills department.

Biggest issues were

judging handlebar width (a few offs and ripped the Garmin from my wrist)

Switchbacks uphill and down. Uphill weight distribution is an issue downhill brake distribution seems to be s problem.

Would be keen to know how that track rates in terms of difficulty.

Big kudos to those who do that for 8,12 or 24 hours or in the dark.

More to come but I think I need a snooze

Roxii, what width are your handlebars? The current fashion is for wider bars. One of the first things I did when I bought my Giant Anthem was to put narrower bars on - I wouldn't like to do Kentlyn or parts of Loftus/Heathcote with the stock bars.

how long did the 24 take you?

About 1.44 PARKSIDE. May have been a little longer though as I think my Garmin paused while I was trapped under my bike on the low side of a switchback cramping in my calves and unable to clip out :lol:

I would suggest perhaps meeting at East Heathcote for an easy firetrail loop warmup then down to Blair Witch, Loftus Oval, the short course at Waratah, back in to the new singletrack ziggy/zaggy and temptation creek single track. Kill a good couple of hours, some rocky stuff, some climbs and some easier stuff.

Anyone keen for Sat arvo after kids sport?? Wouldnt mind doing it with a few knowledgeable others before heading out solo or taking the young fella out there.

Anyone keen for Sat arvo after kids sport?? Wouldnt mind doing it with a few knowledgeable others before heading out solo or taking the young fella out there.

Could be tempted but I'm an absolute numpty on an MTB. Happy to just trail along behind waiting for the sag wagon :)

Of course I have no idea what the rest of the family has planned so I can't confirm ATM.

They measure about 73 ptc.

Wider bars give you more leverage (what those bar ends were used for). I had 720mm wide on my 29er originally and swapped them for 680mm bars and then I started hitting trees! :lol: Must have been focusing less on clearance thinking I didn't have to worry anymore? Anyway after a couple of coathangerings my focus returned and haven't had a problem since.

I often find you can open up a narrow passage a bit by coming in at an angle and rocking the bars from side to side to clear the tree trunks. I used to ride 560mm to 600mm on my XC race bike and 630mm on my trail bike. I have to say the wider bars lend themselves to more precise control and more leverage.

Roxii, you must forget the MTB Friday forays from Parky's on those God forsaken cold mornings into the RNP. Your weren't regular for long enough to remember perhaps!

Wider bars give you more leverage (what those bar ends were used for). I had 720mm wide on my 29er originally and swapped them for 680mm bars and then I started hitting trees! :lol: Must have been focusing less on clearance thinking I didn't have to worry anymore? Anyway after a couple of coathangerings my focus returned and haven't had a problem since.

I often find you can open up a narrow passage a bit by coming in at an angle and rocking the bars from side to side to clear the tree trunks. I used to ride 560mm to 600mm on my XC race bike and 630mm on my trail bike. I have to say the wider bars lend themselves to more precise control and more leverage.

Roxii, you must forget the MTB Friday forays from Parky's on those God forsaken cold mornings into the RNP. Your weren't regular for long enough to remember perhaps!

Thanks mate there were some cheap 600's on Torpedo7 when I was ordering some other stuff so grabbed them to try.

Only did one of the Friday morning rides with you guys, but seeing it was dark I don't remember the terrain too well.

Heaps of guys are running 740+ with very short stems - 70mm or less. Much better control through narrow twisty stuff.

Heaps of guys are running 740+ with very short stems - 70mm or less. Much better control through narrow twisty stuff.

Yeah that's the other part of the wide bar equation, wider bars are paired with a shorter stem. I'm running 80mm stems on both my 29ers (dual and HT) with 680mm bars.

All part of the newer geometry for 29ers I think in its 3rd generation, which I think is about right now.

Edited by Slowman

You have more control on technical tracks with the wider bars. Look how wide downhillers bars are. I had narrow ones until a mate (very good downhiller) put me on to wider (690mm, basically an uncut factory Giant SLR) on a 100mm stem. Took a bit to get used to, then I was faster , much faster.

Edited by thekeeper