Sign in to follow this  
Crowies crushed nuts

Question for stages owners

Have you downloaded the Stages IOS app? You can do things like static torque tests.

Are you looking at avg power by accident?

Can you compare the power on your Garmin (assuming you are using one) and the app?

Are you looking at avg power by accident?

Can you compare the power on your Garmin (assuming you are using one) and the app?

Definitely not looking at average power.

My average power for 20 minute effort is around 300 watts. At the weekend it Was 160 something.

Yep compared the reading on the app and Garmin this evening and reading the same .

I notice the power drops when the battery is low but I changed it so it's not the issue.

• Like 1

So does power drop out and sporadically come back? Do you have the old or new version? New one has a better battery casing do it could be losing contact with the battery, you can try a thick piece of paper between cover and battery. Also make sure battery tabs are not broken. The casing itself can be compromised. Be very careful changing battery, gen 1 covers and seals are weak. You should have a red rubber O-ring seal? Lbs should have spare if you have an old black one, stages offered these for free following issues with gen 1. FESports the local distributor will be quick -ish to assess and replace if need be.

• Like 1

Contact fe sports tech support for some assistance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Stages works pretty well in my experience. I've had 2 Quarqs before, they all have their issues.

The main thing is being able to get support if something goes wrong and you can't really fault Stages in that respect.

Your case sounds like a replacement unit will be required.

• Like 2

I bought my Stage's second hand (it was a warranty replacement where someone moved onto another brand after their unit failed - the unit was brand new in box) After 18 months it won't appear in the app or talk to my Garmin. I've replaced the battery a couple of times with no luck.

What would people suggest?

Try turning off Bluetooth on your garmin and manually entering your Stages ANT id in to your Garmin.

I bought my Stage's second hand (it was a warranty replacement where someone moved onto another brand after their unit failed - the unit was brand new in box) After 18 months it won't appear in the app or talk to my Garmin. I've replaced the battery a couple of times with no luck.

What would people suggest?

Same happened to me recently.

There is a recent app update that you need to connect with the latest firmware.

If you haven't updated the app in a while try that.

When you go into the app now it lets you select a device to avoid connection to the wrong device if there is another one close by. i had tried everything else except updating the iPhone app. Now it work fine again.

Probably find it will then update firmware as well after the app upgrade.

Edited by JGF

Same happened to me recently.

There is a recent app update that you need to connect with the latest firmware.

If you haven't updated the app in a while try that.

When you go into the app now it lets you select a device to avoid connection to the wrong device if there is another one close by. i had tried everything else except updating the iPhone app. Now it work fine again.

Probably find it will then update firmware as well after the app upgrade.

Unfortunately my app is up to date already. I'll have to try Naut's Garmin trick on the weekend and see if I have any luck.

Gotta say, they ain't perfect but they are a cost effective way to get power.

If they can't calculate power properly, might as well just upload the file to Strava via a free account and use itheir inaccurate wattage calculator. Can't get cheaper than that!

Mine chews through batteries like no-one's business. I'm lucky if I get 2 rides before it drops out. PITA to change it so often.

Put new battery in last week and it died on me last night. Something not right with it.

Mine just did the same. Sent it back for replacement, that is the second time. Make sure to get onto it quick while you are still under warranty. There are bike shops that have the equipment to test them in the shop to see if they are faulty. Stages support should be able to tell you which ones in your state. TBE Belmont is the one in WA.

Mine just did the same. Sent it back for replacement, that is the second time. Make sure to get onto it quick while you are still under warranty. There are bike shops that have the equipment to test them in the shop to see if they are faulty. Stages support should be able to tell you which ones in your state. TBE Belmont is the one in WA.

My unit is 18 months old.

Well you need to pick the phone and call the support line. Don't waste time talking to us. They know them inside out. The support guys are good, the power meter appears flawed from my experience with both versions. If it has new batterys and your garmin won't find it via ant and your phone won't find it via Bluetooth then it is faulty. There is no other option. I'm not sure what happens if it needs to be replaced and it is not under warranty.

Contrary to most in this thread my Stages has worked faultlessly for 2+ years. Did the zero offset this morning and was 120+ lower than usual and I got a Training Peaks power record notification on my easy commute...

I have updated the firmware to latest version and battery is all good.

Does anyone have any ideas why the offset would have changed so dramatically overnight...

Cheers

Ps: I know I should really buy a real PM that works but no plans to do that at the moment (already have SRM on TT bike)

Contrary to most in this thread my Stages has worked faultlessly for 2+ years. Did the zero offset this morning and was 120+ lower than usual and I got a Training Peaks power record notification on my easy commute...

I have updated the firmware to latest version and battery is all good.

Does anyone have any ideas why the offset would have changed so dramatically overnight...

Cheers

Ps: I know I should really buy a real PM that works but no plans to do that at the moment (already have SRM on TT bike)

Was only a matter of time....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found issues when you connected it using blue tooth for diagnosis. Even after disconnecting. Apparently that has been fixed, but as a matter of course every time I connect to the app using blue tooth I make sure I take the battery out after I have disconnected.

Has it been wet? Chuck it in a box of rice for a few days.

Failing that it is time for a replacement.

It's all good. This thing is bulletproof. . I rode through torrential storm recently so have now dried out and it's back to its ultra reliable self.

#stagespower

#worthitathalftheprice

• Like 2

That is what I said in another thread. Terrible wet weather performance, fortunately I choose not to ride in rain most of the time.

Put new battery in last week and it died on me last night. Something not right with it.

Before going to the shop, pull the battery out and leave it over night. Sometimes they hold a small charge and don't register a new battery. Same thing happened with my Garmin HRM pod with coin cell battery

• Like 1