BarryBevan

metatarsalgia

I assume you're referring to morton's neuroma???

I kept mine under control by using moderate cushioned socks, staying away from 5 toe socks, icing after hard and long runs, and a regular reflexology sessions

I kept mine under control by using moderate cushioned socks, staying away from 5 toe socks, icing after hard and long runs, and a regular reflexology sessions

Not any help in this thread sorry, but just curious... should I be avoiding toe socks?

what are u guys talking about

wot are the symptoms of this ailment?

cheers

ivp

on a side note

I wear 5 fingered soxs, is that why I have cancer???

• Like 2

what are u guys talking about

wot are the symptoms of this ailment?

cheers

ivp

Â

on a side note

I wear 5 fingered soxs, is that why I have cancer???

Fingers on ur feet might be a problem, yes.....

• Like 1

not sure what I have but I entered the symptoms pain on the ball of the foot, numbness. What is a 5 toes sock

not sure what I have but I entered the symptoms pain on the ball of the foot, numbness. What is a 5 toes sock

Injin sox?

Both my forefeet are killing me at the moment. I haven't been able to run for 2 weeks.

Yeah I've had this on and off since doing the ride from Adelaide to Melbourne. For me it is greatly exacerbated riding my roadie when I am further behind the bottom bracket. I find ice and trying to release the fascia tend to help. If all else fails a little bit of padding underneath the pain area tends to help (mine is at the big toe joint so quite easy to do)

Metatarsalgia is more the symptom of what can be a number of issues. It describes inflamation/pain in the ball/forefoot region. Morton's Neuroma is one of the issues that can cause this.

Barry, where is the pain? is it between the 3rd & 4th metatarsals? If so, it's likely Morton's Neuroma and I can give you the lowdown on what I did to go from unable to walk, to running freely in 1 month.

Metatarsalgia is more the symptom of what can be a number of issues. It describes inflamation/pain in the ball/forefoot region. Morton's Neuroma is one of the issues that can cause this.

Barry, where is the pain? is it between the 3rd & 4th metatarsals? If so, it's likely Morton's Neuroma and I can give you the lowdown on what I did to go from unable to walk, to running freely in 1 month.

I line/with the seond toe in from the little one fourth to third

Edited by BarryBevan

Could be then. In layman's terms (that's me) it's the thickening of the nerve tissue between usually the 3rd & 4th metatarsals (from the big toe). It tends to feel painful under the foot, between those 2, about half an inch behind the toes. It feels worse if you push on the point, or squeeze the forefoot together from the sides.

By the time I knew what mine was, it felt like a nail going into my foot any time I ran. It was even causing other problems from making me walk on my big toe rather than evenly across the front of the foot. I couldn't run more than 5 minutes before giving up.

• The first thing to do is get rid of any shoes that are tight across the forefoot.
  • Then change the lacing on all your shoes so that you don't go all the way to the bottom. It reduces the compression on the forefoot.
  • For instant relief, get some of those foam things girls put between the toes to allow their nails to dry, and put one between those 2 toes. It releases the pressure of the bones on the nerve.
  • Now that you've removed most of the immediate issue, see a podiatrist about an orthotic for the condition. Mine had a bit of a lump between those 2 bones, a bit behind where the pain was.

I was running again, and all pain had gone in a month.

Another cause of MN is wearing high heels. I'd suggest you get flats for your Friday nights out.

• Like 2

My homeopath said she had never heard of it.

"There is no reliable evidence that homeopathy is effective for any health condition." - National Health and Medical Research Council..

• Like 1

I thought of that one myself Barry. Amazing what an engineering type mind can come up with. :)

I got my wife to buy them, and gave up the heels

• Like 1

Yeah I've had this on and off since doing the ride from Adelaide to Melbourne. For me it is greatly exacerbated riding my roadie when I am further behind the bottom bracket. I find ice and trying to release the fascia tend to help. If all else fails a little bit of padding underneath the pain area tends to help (mine is at the big toe joint so quite easy to do)

How do you get stuck into the feet fascia Lachie? Do you use a Graston tool at all? Works the best for me.

Running with those super padded socks helps, the pain for the first km is would kill a bull elephant, after that it tends to loose up. Don't think the super cool work boots with pointy toes have helped, so back to eccos.

That toe seperator is awesome, hasbeen is getting a single malt

Â

How do you get stuck into the feet fascia Lachie? Do you use a Graston tool at all? Works the best for me.

Personally I just use a golf ball or something of the like on a hard surface. Also aim to avoid too much tightness in my calf especially after hard runs in a lighter tempo shoe. Can't say I've actually heard of or used the Graston tool in ny time. Now I just need to work out how to release the fascia in my hands as bent fingers don't help swimming!

Hey Burgs - golf ball

A golf ball will release the muscles in the foot but not the fascia. Graston is super effective, maybe the only thing that comes close to it is cupping, but the Graston will break up more adhesions than cupping will, and is much more versatile, particularly when considering the curvatures of the foot.

I've just cherry picked a video, haven't watched it but it should give you an idea. Typically in Australia sports chiropractors are going to use this method, I'm not sure of any other discipline using the Graston.

Not any help in this thread sorry, but just curious... should I be avoiding toe socks?

Apparently those 5 toe socks sort of pushes or pulls the toes individually, sort of compressing the toes from the front, this will compress the nerves between the metatarsals more