roxii

MTB with kids.

So my young bloke is getting interested in mtb and I want to encourage him (as it means I can ride more :lol:)

My young bloke is 9 (and a half if you ask him)

What bikes are best for them, he is currently on a giant XTJR 24 and I think he is outgrowing it quickly , so what is the next step 26" XS 27.5" . The biggest issue for my son is he is a featherweight and bike weight is an issue as it becomes a big portion of the package for him making it harder to control.

Where to ride (Diamonds you know where I am), where is good kid friendly tracks/ trails that still give a bit of a challenge.

Surely you've taken him for a burl in the RNP by now.... ?? which has a reasonable level of mixture for something close to home....

Surely you've taken him for a burl in the RNP by now.... ?? which has a reasonable level of mixture for something close to home....

No not yet.

I dont know my way round there myself, only times Ive done it (twice) has been in the dark

Want to find the best areas to take him so he doesnt get monstered by weekend warriors and also stuff that isnt too techy or hilly.

East Heathcote would be your best bet. Do the loops at the end of bottle forest/parklands, nice easy fire trail with a tiny bit of interesting stuff you couldn't drive a car around

Get a 27.5 with the biggest frame u can get him on

That way u won't have to get a new bike in 6 months

He'll handle the 27.5 easy

My grand kids have been on 27.5 for two years

They are now on 29s

They are 13 year old twin girls

East Heathcote would be your best bet. Do the loops at the end of bottle forest/parklands, nice easy fire trail with a tiny bit of interesting stuff you couldn't drive a car around

Where would one find this in the "Gregorys" :lol:

A guy from work says there's some good stuff over the road from you Parky, somewhere in Loftus or Engadine that has a bunch of trails around it. Know anything about it and it's suitability for the younger rider?

There is at least 2-3 hours of decent riding straight across the road from me. From E Heathcote, Engadine, Loftus all the way up to the bike track at Sutho, out to Grays Point. Some of it is a little more technical with some rocky stuff etc but there is a lot of firetrail/double track as well. Roxie one option is to start at Waratah park so some laps on the short track circuit then ride across the road and just as you head up the hill towards Loftus Oval there's a singletrack that goes itno the bush, some new stuff heads leftish and otherwise the track parallels the highway up to Loftus Oval, firetrails there alongside tram tracks to visitors centre, plenty to explore

• Like 1

Roxii, taken from the Gregory's no doubt. Turn left at Heathcote Maccas.

http://www.shortcircuitcancer.org.au/?page_id=651

Goarra Ridge would be OK to do, the other loop it shows (bottle Forest) is nice and easy, the black dashed Bottle Forest trail is a 1-2km dead end with a nice climb for him to practice. The black dashed line in the middle of that loop is an extra loop and there's an old quarry in the middle of the loop with some fun stuff for him to play on.

I am free early tomorrow if you require a guide

You will be surprised what he can handle. My young bloke was picking his way carefully down the local DH stuff on a 24" Giant from 9.

He is 150cm now and riding a 26" Merida Juliet (with flowers duct taped over) so he can't whack his nuts when he gets it wrong due to the low toptube. Cool little bike we tricked up at birthday time with bling grips and pedals from JetBlack.

He borrowed his mums 27.5 in a large frame 2 days ago so his sister could use his on a loop and rode great, but did pole himself on the top tube at one point (a prob IPs granddaughters wouldn't have to worry about) and went down in a screaming heap.

• Like 1

So my young bloke is getting interested in mtb and I want to encourage him (as it means I can ride more :lol:)ÃÂ

ÃÂ

My young bloke is 9 (and a half if you ask him)ÃÂ

ÃÂ

What bikes are best for them, he is currently on a giant XTJR 24 and I think he is outgrowing it quickly , so what is the next step ÃÂ 26" ÃÂ XS 27.5" . The biggest issue for my son is he is a featherweight and bike weight is an issue as it becomes a big portion of the package for him making it harder to control.ÃÂ

ÃÂ

Where to ride (Diamonds you know where I am), where is good kid friendly tracks/ trails that still give a bit of a challenge.ÃÂ

ÃÂ

ÃÂ

Rox, as per previous post, my LBS guy suggested picking up a 2nd womens mtb for the lower top tube issue. I got his from a gumtree (fleet changeover of one of those school/team building adventure companies). Sam's bike does still weigh more than mine, but if ascending firetrail or road, I use it as interval time and do repeated stints with my left hand on his lower back pushing him up while he still pedals. When I need a rest I pick a landmark and tell him he is on his own til there. I recover, then we go again. Just this month we made it up Mt Keira without his feet touching the ground for the first time.

If you are up for a drive south one day we can head out. He can have a ride of Sams bike too. Going from 24" to 26" was huge in itself (the stuff he could get over after the change)

Oh yeah, so as per your first para, we have had two Stromlo/Majura boys only trips in the last 5 months plus Bright now. It is awesome.

Edited by Diamonds

Thanks guys, all awesome stuff.

I told him when the girls do netball Saturdays we can do MTB rides instead of sitting listening to the sound of one million whistles.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, all awesome stuff.

I told him when the girls do netball Saturdays we can do MTB rides instead of sitting listening to the sound of one million whistles.

Roxii, Matthew and I'd be up for a father/son ride if we can work it around Soccer on Saturday mornings. He's so keen at the moment, wants to go every afternoon.

Try the dirt crit track at the SSCC bike track at Sutherland. Party's suggestion for Bottle Forest is good, a couple of fire trails and an open dirt area with a good variety of little drops & fool downs.

Dropped pin

near Royal National Park NSW 2232

https://goo.gl/maps/JiZCQYfXjGp

• Like 1