Sign in to follow this  
FatPom

Lace up shoes, Giro, Sub 6 etc

I'm in the market for some new shoes, my S-Works are 4yrs old and worse for wear after taking everything the UK roads and weather can throw at 'em.

I've been happy with them but an article on Cycling Tips was reviewing the new Specialized Sub 6 lace ups and comparing them to the Giro Empire and new S-Works shoes (the latter being £280 here!)

I don't think they are for me but was wondering if anyone has taken the plunge on lace ups?

Lace ups...............not very good for a quick transition.

Haha, I didn't think of that!

Love the Giro Empires. Most comfortable cycling shoe I've used. I find the laces mean I can 'fine-tune' the fit much better than Velcro/ratchets.

Love the Giro Empires. Most comfortable cycling shoe I've used. I find the laces mean I can 'fine-tune' the fit much better than Velcro/ratchets.

I don't think I'd ever go back to ratchets after experiencing the Boas on the S-Works but interesting what you say about fine tuning. Do you find you can get the tying right 'first time'?

Edited by FatPom

Hey FP, try Bonts. They're awesome and the heat-moulding makes them like little bike slippers!

Can't get past the look of Bonts, they look horrible to me. I'm very happy with the S-Works and will probably get another pair but just wondered if anyone had tried lace ups.

Lace ups...............not very good for a quick transition.

But for cycle racing.........

But for cycle racing.........

How do you make laces that little bit tighter half way through a ride without stopping. Sometimes during a ride I make tighten mine before a climb - easy with Velcro.

How do you make laces that little bit tighter half way through a ride without stopping. Sometimes during a ride I make tighten mine before a climb - easy with Velcro.

I was wondering this also. My feet swell up sometimes but not every ride.

I was wondering this also. My feet swell up sometimes but not every ride.

That would also apply to running and also when racing in the heat too. Your feet will expand.

Also not sure if you wear leather shoes or synthe,tic, but if leather gets wet it shrinks during the drying process and will stretch back out over a period of time when your wearing them and working them.

That would also apply to running and also when racing in the heat too. Your feet will expand.

Also not sure if you wear leather shoes or synthe,tic, but if leather gets wet it shrinks during the drying process and will stretch back out over a period of time when your wearing them and working them.

I wear S-Works but have worn Sidi for 15 years. I 'think' they've nearly always been synthetic. Another reason I like Boas in the UK is that very often you need booties, either for weather or TT and the Boa is easy to adjust through these.

Edited by FatPom

Can't get past the look of Bonts, they look horrible to me. I'm very happy with the S-Works and will probably get another pair but just wondered if anyone had tried lace ups.

I know they don't look great, but it takes the focus off my face!

Lace ups seem, to me, inconvenient as my feet swell and contract during the course of a ride. Alright if your feet don't, but a PITA if they do.

Mind you, I also wear RM Williams most days to work and have lack-locks on my running shoes, so I've pretty much forgotten how to tie laces!!!

• Like 1

FP...... Sounds like you answer is above.

Go back to the good old vecro's with 3 straps or 2 straps for tri's. Though I use 3 straps and never use the first two. I just tighten then from time to time.

FP...... Sounds like you answer is above.

Go back to the good old vecro's with 3 straps or 2 straps for tri's. Though I use 3 straps and never use the first two. I just tighten then from time to time.

I'm 51 now, 'hipster' means 'when is replacement due' at my age :)

Never going back to Velcro and ratchets though, I love those Boas!

I don't think I'd ever go back to ratchets after experiencing the Boas on the S-Works but interesting what you say about fine tuning. Do you find you can get the tying right 'first time'?

It took a few rides to get it right, but now it's just a matter of slipping them on and ever so slightly pulling tight before tying.