Go Easy

SUV's - Any recommendations / feedback / price?

Am looking at buying an SUV with the view of getting away a bit more on the weekends. Hopefully to do a few more Trail Runs and Off-Road Triathlons. We already do heaps of travelling, but want something that we can sleep in if need be to be able to make the most of our travel time and save a few dollars on accommodation.

My wife will be using it as her daily driver, so definitely doesn't want a big car such as a Range Rover, but we still need it big enough to do what we want.

Ideally it will fit my TT & MTB bikes in the back without pulling them apart, and it will have rear seats that can fold down flat so that we can sleep in it with a thin foam mattress (neither of us are real tall). If the bike could fit in upright that would be a bonus.

Possible options might be the Hyundai ix35 or Tucson, Mazda CX-5 or CX 7, Toyota Rav4, Subaru Forester or Outback, Holden Captiva.

But will also consider other Brands and Models if they are recommended. We will probably go for Ex Demo or a decent secondhand with low K's (I'd rather spend the extra for a new car on race entries and more travelling etc). Any recommendations or feedback would be much appreciated.

Edited by Go Easy

Just for fun my wife and I were talking about what we'd replace the Magna with when it kicks the bucket, in particular cause we kinda need a big boot. Some campers here have a cx7 and my wife likes the look of it, but funny enough while researching it, it seems it actually has a smaller boot capacity than the cx5! Surely not? Something to consider if you're carting stuff.

• Like 1

Can't speak for the other models listed but I have an 2012 LX Captiva (series 2).

Purchased new and currently has a touch over 60,000km on the clock. The LX came standard with a few bells and whistles including Leather seats, sat nav, etc etc. 7 seats and both back rows fold down to make a pretty big space. I can stand a bike up in the back (minus front wheel) but takes a bit of messing about to get it in there, ie need to lean it over and wriggle it in.

No real issues with the thing (considering it is actually a re-badged Daewoo), except that the sat nav unit was replaced twice under warranty as they would just die. No issues since, touch wood.

Don't believe the claimed fuel economy which from memory was 8.8l/100. At best I have achieved is 10.1l, but average over its life is bang on 11.0l, which admittedly does include a bit of towing of a pop top van. Fuel economy is shocking when towing and have seen it use as much as 20l/100 on the Hume when travelling to Woolongong. Having said that it is not really designed for towing so it is to be expected.

As per the ute thread, we are currently looking to changeover to a ute, but only becuase this would suit our lifestyle better. I have no complaints regarding the Captiva except to say that I regret not buying the ute initially as it would save that hassle now. The only people who say that 7 seats will come in handy should be those with 5 kids!!! We have only used the 7 seats about 3 times in 3 years and that was one of the main reasons for using it.

If buying new don't get sucked into paying too much. I ended up paying 72% of the orginal asking price after some hard negotiating and even then, I thought it was as much as it was worth. Initial price was an absolute joke.

Overall, very happy with it and it would likely suit everything that you need. Not sure how comfy it would be sleeping in the thing as I've never tried, but I suppose with a self inflating mattress or the like it would be ok. Mine came with racks as standard and I fitted rhino racks for the bikes which have worked a treat.

Good luck

Ayto

• Like 1

I have a cx5 as a work car and really love it. But I would go for CX7 if the intention was to use it for sleeping in.

The CX7 may have a 'smaller boot' but this would be because the CX5 doesn't have much leg-room on the backseat. I imagine that the CX7 would be more comfortable as a passenger car if you are sitting in the back seat and they have made more leg room by pushing the rear seats back (and therefore a slightly smaller boot).

However, if you fold the seats down I am sure the CX7 would have a larger cargo space overall.

(This is the same situation between my CX% and my brothers Subaru Forester. Mine has a much bigger boot, his has much more leg room in the back, but when the seats are folded down its much of a muchness).

I have found the CX5 to be a great all-rounder/family car for us. We have a 2 year old and we are an active family so we're always at the beach/park/holidays etc. Its plenty big enough for us. in terms of practicality, comfort and so on I can't fault it. its not a 'real' four wheel drive, but its definitely good enough for some rough dirt roads and rough terrain, and its great to park up on the gutters etc.... so big advantages over a sedan.

To give you some idea I can easily fit my roadie in the back by folding down two sections of the rear split-fold seat, so if I ride my wife can pick me up somewhere with the baby seat still in place. With all seats down I can fit 2 roadies in there easily (with front wheels removed). I reckon you could sleep in it too if you wanted to...

Other good things are flat boot (great for changing babies nappy or making lunch or whatever.

If you get a Mazda definitely get the 'safety pack' with blind spot sensors and reversing camera. The car has terrible blind spots ....

Edited by TryTriB4Forty
  • Like 1

If buying new don't get sucked into paying too much. I ended up paying 72% of the orginal asking price after some hard negotiating and even then, I thought it was as much as it was worth. Initial price was an absolute joke.

Spot on, every dealership (The big guys at least - Toyota, Holden and Ford) is falling over to supply the various government fleet departments and the pricing for them is mostly standard with 30% off the RRP the starting point, some models get discounted up to 45%. Get the salesperson talking and keep them talking, the longer they spend with you, the less time they have to chase another sale

• Like 1

I did a spreadsheet of all the main players as I wanted to upgrade/upsize and of those you mention the RAV4 has the most rear seat leg room and largest boot capacity so assume with seats folded it would be the biggest bed.... was also the most expensive I think...

• Like 1

When I bought my wife's car I did it from overseas via email.

I simply wrote an email to a number of dealers detailing what I wanted - some things we were very specific about (ie my wife wanted specific alloys from that manufacturer) but other things we weren't that fussed about (ie she didn't really have a colour preference, provided it wasn't black).

I got back an email from one dealer that was so good I thought he'd made a mistake ....

He was a regional dealership in the town where my parents live, so I transferred a cash deposit and he had it waiting for me a fortnight later.

Worth emailing around to see if they will do a goo price. Took all the leg work out of it for me too.

• Like 1

Last issue of NRMA magazine did an SUV comparison - I think the Hyundai won? Relos have a Rav4 which they like.

I'd never swap my old 93 diesel Hilux for an SUV - complete nightmare on the bitumen, wanders more than a catholic priest in an orphanage, but that means none of the girls will drive it. I do some serious offroad stuff and it has the clearance to get away with that. Most (all?) SUV lack clearance for rutted tracks etc., you tear the bottom out or get stuck on a high point. But on the bitumen, an SUV - any SUV - would be a clear winner.

• Like 1

From NRMA Mag:

Best 2WD SUV (why even bother):

1. Mazda cx-3 Maxx

2. Honda HRV

3. Nissan Quashqai st

Best AWD under $50K

1. Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i

2. Subaru Forester 2.5i-s

3. Hyundai Tuscon Elite

Best AWD $50-65K

1. Kia Sorento Platinum

2. Hyundai Sanat Fe Highlander crdi

3. Land Rover Discovery Sport

I assume you mean by not pulling apart that you mean you will be taking the wheels off.

We have an X-Trail and it doesn't really fit a bike in the rear even with the wheels off. I mean it can, but it's tight and you'd probably only fit one. If you are putting the rear seats down to carry your bike(s), then sure, they will fit easily. You could sleep in an XTrail, particularly the previous model as the seats go fully flat.

The new X-Trail is a nice vehicle. As much as I drive a BT50 and I like the Mazda I'm not hearing exciting things about the CX5, 7 & 9, particularly in terms of fuel consumption.

RAV4 is another one and of course the Kluger which are getting pretty big these days.

I don't quite know how the NRMA have chosen those options when Toyota and Nissan don't even appear. The Forester has a tiny "boot" area and the Outback is not much better really. I've owned Subaru's and I like them but the wagon performance in the non-turbo is a little underwhelming and fuel consumption is not great due to AWD.

Edited by BC_J400
  • Like 1

I have a 1 year old Forrester. Fantastic car - more like a car than an AWD. It is the most drivable AWD/FWD It is lower to the ground than most - that's one of the reasons we got it , for the missus to get in easy. Used the traction last weekend whilst in the bush. Good power at 2.5. As for room, front and back seats are roomy and very comfortable. For bikes, well mine just fits in with the seat down with a few bags it's OK but not much more room. You could not fit 2 bikes inside. Most have top bars for that. Towing, like the Rav 4 is on the low side. In fact a Ford sedan has better towing. From memory not much more than 1200 which would restrict the size of a van. . I would sleep in it but it wouldn't take much more than me and I would have to assume the semi featal position. I guess that means it would take a couple of you ðð.

For what you want, not the most ideal in terms of inside capacity but THE most comfortable as for driving. BTW, I average between 7 on the open highway and 8 around my area (semi suburb).

Best of luck

FM

• Like 1

I have a new VW Touareg.

Nice car, very roomy and maybe a bit expensive but rarely seems to fail an emissions test!!!

And after watching this vid you (and I) might be glad we have V-Dubs, emission fiddling aside. We have a Jetta like the one in this accident - considering it got rear-ended by a semi, it looks pretty good & survivable, even for a rear seat passenger.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2016/04/05/23/15/fallen-tree-causes-chaos-on-victorian-road#VZsp1ZW2G07rhPxo.99

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback. Lots of good comments in there, would have 'liked' them all but will run out of likes, I do appreciate all the feedback though.

I assume you mean by not pulling apart that you mean you will be taking the wheels off.

I meant with the seats down, and I will take the front wheel off if necessary. I meant I'd like it to fit either the TT or MTB (not at the same time).

I would sleep in it but it wouldn't take much more than me and I would have to assume the semi featal position. I guess that means it would take a couple of you ðð.

Haha, yeah if you fit (even slightly bent) then I reckon I'll be fine!

Yeah we had a Forrester too, very good car and Subaru were good to deal with. As Flanman says, drives like a car rather than a 4WD and is capable off-road. Let the tyres down to 10psi and off you go! It's not in the same league as something like a Landcruiser when it comes to offroad, but I had it on some pretty boggy beaches and it did great. We traded it in for a Prado as I wanted something bigger to tow our camper trailer and also wanted something that would be better off-road. And I'd also agree with BC_J400 re engine performance, I found the 2.5 n/a to be a bit lacking in inspiration, the XT with turbo would be the way to go.

The Forrester will fit a TT bike/MTB with seats down and wheels still on.

What about a Toyota Fortuner or Kluger? A Prado would probably be a too big for you, it's about the size of a Range Rover, but those two are good options.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews/2015-toyota-fortuner-review-first-drive-36436

Edited by zed
  • Like 1

It's not in the same league as something like a Landcruiser when it comes to offroad,

I lived on the river country west of Goondiwindi (rich black soil that turned to mush with rain) and had 2 landcruisers (one company one, one personal) and an impreza at the time. When it rained and I could get a road before being cut up with the deep ruts that the cruisers left, the impreza used to sit on top of the mud very nicely as long as you kept the speed up (and that had less clearance than the outback and Forrestor). Took some kahunas at times to keep the speed going at 80+ when the back end was whipping around on you, but the subbies are very capable in the right conditions. The cruisers would get you there 98% of the time (had a few that required large tractors to debog), but the size of them made alot of the work they had to overcome

For us, thanks for bringing up the Forester! I had forgotten about them. We will one day be looking for something with enough boot for Rob's mobility scooter - currently don't have to completely pull it apart and the kids can handle it. But my wife hates the bigger 4wd's, in particular with her having to climb up to get into them which she struggles with, even in a Kluger. I'll have to keep the Forester in my mind for down the track.

I lived on the river country west of Goondiwindi (rich black soil that turned to mush with rain) and had 2 landcruisers (one company one, one personal) and an impreza at the time. When it rained and I could get a road before being cut up with the deep ruts that the cruisers left, the impreza used to sit on top of the mud very nicely as long as you kept the speed up (and that had less clearance than the outback and Forrestor). Took some kahunas at times to keep the speed going at 80+ when the back end was whipping around on you, but the subbies are very capable in the right conditions. The cruisers would get you there 98% of the time (had a few that required large tractors to debog), but the size of them made alot of the work they had to overcome

What about when the tyres fill with black soil and start rubbing on the wheel-arches, stopping the wheels from turning. Ain't that messy fun to sort out!

Despite having CX5 as a work car I would be a big thumbs up for the Subaru.

My brother owns a Forrester and its sensational.

My wife's previous car was a Subaru Impreza and it was NIIIICEEEEE!! The Subaru people sure know how to put a car together. Even the way the doors closed.... it was really a top car.

If I was to get another SUV type car I would definitely be looking at a Subaru

• Like 1

Glad she was in a Jetta? Hmmmm... not too sure about that. It looks like it hit it moderately lightly. I'll stick with my BT50 for a rear-ender - I doubt I would even feel it.

jetta.jpg

Edited by BC_J400

Yeah as long as my Forester had the tyre pressure dropped and I kept the speed up it was pretty good.

I've had 3 Foresters in a row - all Turbo XTs. The current one has been the worst of the three. They dropped the manual and I had to go Auto and I really hate the transmission. It has the CVT (not sure what the normally aspirated version has) and it never seems to be able to pick the right gear. It's also had a couple of recalls and the drivers seat tore apart.

I've always loved Foresters but this will be my last. The previous one - now owned by another Trannie - was the best car I've owned.

• Like 1

Glad she was in a Jetta? Hmmmm... not too sure about that. It looks like it hit it moderately lightly. I'll stick with my BT50 for a rear-ender - I doubt I would even feel it.

jetta.jpg

Lol - 22t semi vs 1.5t Jetta = :unsure: a moderately light hit. Crumple zones look like they worked well to me.

I'm getting a Pajero Exceed in 4 weeks. It's going off-road first weekend. I'll let you know what I think after that.

I love my Subaru Forester XT purchased off some old bloke in Sydney (Trinube)

Just ticked 120,000km & going strong. The only thing I would change is adding leather seats. I often look on eBay for a set but just end up buying bike stuff.

I'm really disappointed to hear his review of the new model, I was hoping to upgrade. I wonder if a non "car head" would notice the difference with transmission

With the fleet lease I get through work, it's a flat rate. I pay no extra for extra fuel. We rack up about 50,000km/year because of where we live, and we do a road trip every year (eg. Tassie, Uluru, N Qld), so thinking of some long service soon and maybe doing a full lap.

I'm really disappointed to hear his review of the new model, I was hoping to upgrade. I wonder if a non "car head" would notice the difference with transmission

I'm disappointed too, I don't know what to get next. :sleepy:

If you drive quietly in Economy mode it's not too bad but in Sport and Super Sport mode (when you want it to perform) it's very unpredictable and can lead to some hairy moments.

We bought the wife a new car last year but I may buy the Forester for her (she wouldn't notice the transmission as she drives very quietly) and get a Tesla. This will probably be my last company car before retirement so I'm going for something into the future and we'll still have an SUV for lugging kit around.

I'm getting a Pajero Exceed in 4 weeks. It's going off-road first weekend. I'll let you know what I think after that.Â

Ahhh my ears, my eyes!....

Call me if ya need a tow.

Ill bring the Crusier.

Ahhh my ears, my eyes!....

Call me if ya need a tow.

Ill bring the Crusier.

I think I've still got the photo's from Fraser where we dragged the 2 cruisers out of Eli Creek with the Landrover. Also the other where about 20 blokes disassembled the camper off the back of the cruiser to lighten it to get out of the bog.

Then again, we used cruisers for years with work, and they are normally a great vehicle. I just can't justify that kind of money for a car.

I think I've still got the photo's from Fraser where we dragged the 2 cruisers out of Eli Creek with the Landrover. Also the other where about 20 blokes disassembled the camper off the back of the cruiser to lighten it to get out of the bog.

Then again, we used cruisers for years with work, and they are normally a great vehicle. I just can't justify that kind of money for a car.

Most of the time, people getting bogged is through lack of experience or stupidity. If you've got a decent tyres at the right pressure, 4wd and ground clearance there isn't going to much in it with the likes of a patrol, lc, landrover etc

Most of the time, people getting bogged is through lack of experience or stupidity. If you've got a decent tyres at the right pressure, 4wd and ground clearance there isn't going to much in it with the likes of a patrol, lc, landrover etc

The only time I got the old Hilux SR5 bogged was when I aimed it at a mudhole, thought I was in 4WD, but the worm-drive gear in the transfer case had seized so I was still in 2WD (despite the dash-light saying I was in 4WD). Thankfully, my client was a Canadian built like a brick-shithouse, so we put some small logs under the rear wheels, and he pushed so hard he bent the edge of the bull-bar while I hammered in in reverse. We got it out in no time. $140 at my mechanics and a bit of grease later, and the press-button 4WD had not missed a beat since. Pretty good for a 23yo vehicle!

I've got a Captiva, turbo diesel. The TT or MTB fit in it without removing wheels, the floor space folds flat and I've slept in it with no issues. Pulls the 17ft poptop no problem at all, accelerates easily up Mt Ousley with it. Fuel is high 8's highway, about 10 lts/100k around town. Add a couple of litres per 100 when towing the van. Main issue was engine oil leaks, went back several times to have it fixed. They finally came out with some newly designed covers/sump and it's finally fixed. Tested the petrol version, didn't like it as much.

I'm thinking a Captiva will one day be our choice. My sister has had a couple and loves them. Price wise, and size wise, will probably be the best fit for us.

I'm getting a Pajero Exceed in 4 weeks. It's going off-road first weekend. I'll let you know what I think after that.

You must have shares in BP or Shell :smile1:

Why do you say that. At 9 litres per 100km, it's a little more efficient than the commodore I've currently got, and a hell of a lot better than the Land Cruiser.

You must have shares in BP or Shell :smile1:

Don't need them.

My Pajero did 7.8 l/100km doing Wollongong to Balladean on Boxing day last year. Not bad for a 13 year old diesel in holiday traffic. :)

Been averaging 11.5 around town with plenty of stop/start peak hour traffic to contend with. :(

Why do you say that. At 9 litres per 100km, it's a little more efficient than the commodore I've currently got, and a hell of a lot better than the Land Cruiser.

My Pajero did 7.8 l/100km doing Wollongong to Balladean on Boxing day last year. Not bad for a 13 year old diesel in holiday traffic. :)

Been averaging 11.5 around town with plenty of stop/start peak hour traffic to contend with. :(

They are quite thirsty compared to some of the more modern diesels out there with some pushing 6 and 7 speed auto's etc. If it was petrol, yes, bucket loads more but the diesel model isn't too bad.

I've got 147kw and 470nm of torque and am getting sub 7 litres on the open road and never more than 10 around town - diesel.

Captiva? no thanks! You realise it's just a re-badged Daewoo made in Korea? The Cruze was also made in Korea initially however is now made in the Elizabeth South Australia plant, but as of October production ceases and I suspect they will re-ship them from Korea like before. The dealership where I bought my latest vehicle said that they spent $8k on the gearbox of a Captiva that was traded and it still wasn't right. They ended up scrapping it to a metal re-cycler. It wasn't that old either. A number of people I know have bought them and initially loved them but then quickly hated them shortly after. I don't know what all of the problems are but they appear to all have a consistent opinion on this vehicle.

I'll endeavour to find out more and report back.

We test drove a Captiva when looking for my wife's car. Whilst it seemed to have decent features, it just didn't drive well (we only drove the petrol engine). Even the missus didn't like it. We did a bit of research and the word 'Craptiva' seemed to crop up regularly (even has a Facebook page)

We ended up with a Mitsi ASX which she loves. It's a nice little car but I wouldn't have one as a main car - ideal second car.

We did a Bitsashitsi so a craptiva would be a step up!

They are quite thirsty compared to some of the more modern diesels out there with some pushing 6 and 7 speed auto's etc. If it was petrol, yes, bucket loads more but the diesel model isn't too bad.

I've got 147kw and 470nm of torque and am getting sub 7 litres on the open road and never more than 10 around town - diesel.

Captiva? no thanks! You realise it's just a re-badged Daewoo made in Korea? The Cruze was also made in Korea initially however is now made in the Elizabeth South Australia plant, but as of October production ceases and I suspect they will re-ship them from Korea like before. The dealership where I bought my latest vehicle said that they spent $8k on the gearbox of a Captiva that was traded and it still wasn't right. They ended up scrapping it to a metal re-cycler. It wasn't that old either. A number of people I know have bought them and initially loved them but then quickly hated them shortly after. I don't know what all of the problems are but they appear to all have a consistent opinion on this vehicle.

I'll endeavour to find out more and report back.

Yes, worked with a girl who bought a new Captiva, transmission dumped it's oil via a pin-hole leak and blew at 4000kms. Another woman at work bought a new diesel Cruze which kept dying and going into limp mode - it took her 2yrs to get a refund and by then the idiots had already spent more than she initially paid trying to fix it. One Holden dealer told her it was because they were not designed for lots of short trips. Another told her it was not designed for long trips.

Seems Holden dealers go to the same school as RE agents and Financial Advisers :sleepy:

Thinking about next car in the year of so ahead, although my current car, a 2007 Golf TDI doesn't want to die - it's an amazingly versatile car.

Thinking of the Octavia Scout 4x4 Wagon. That has a lot of space in the back - over 1700 litres with rear seats down.

Alex I followed you into the Golf, will be palmed to the daughter in a year and I have been looking at the Skodas as well. Post a review if you go ahead!

Alex I followed you into the Golf, will be palmed to the daughter in a year and I have been looking at the Skodas as well. Post a review if you go ahead!

Yeah, timing will depend on budget needed to do reno projects which we are assessing at the moment. car might need to wait a bit.

One of those is a manshed rescue - I have a 35m long besser brick building with two sections. One is fully enclosed with concrete floor and is 15m x 8m, and it also has a 20m x 6m covered section but not enclosed and with dirt floor. It has three phase (and regular 240V) power, full lighting and water etc. Has previously been a builder's workshop and a garlic drying facility. Oh, and some stuff to do in the house as well :D

Have my ride-on mower chosen. It'll be worth more than the car I think!

The Skodas look like a great car to me, it's high on my list. I've driven plenty of Subarus - mostly due to my driving duties with national races over the years. They're OK but I find them pretty bloated fuel hungry beasts. I had an Impreza for a year before the Golf. It was good and went well but I lost the leg and ability to drive a manual vehicle (I could in an emergency), so it got the flick and I got the Golf as a replacement.

The Alltrack VWs look nice as well but the Skoda is much better value. We're thinking of a dog as well, so want a good choice for them to ride around with us.

We have a VW Alltrack. Interesting it was cheaper than a Legacy. Drives really well and handles the gravel roads with ease. I did 900 km in it last weekend and cost under a 1/3 of what our Santa Fe would cost for the same trip on fuel. Additionally a lot nicer to drive especially when you are going around corners.

Anyone know what the diesel in the Territory is like? I am thinking 7 seat turbo diesel - not many cars on the market with that much space.

Anyone know what the diesel in the Territory is like? I am thinking 7 seat turbo diesel - not many cars on the market with that much space.

No idea what the diesel is like, but I don't know anyone with a Territory that does not have some sort of problems. My Sister in Law has an ongoing electrical problem that can't seem to get fixed, the battery keeps getting drained if the car is not turned over every couple of days. She constantly was taking it back, dealer had autoelectricians looking at it, replaced the battery numerous times but still not working. Might not be as big an issue now she no longer has a company car and will use it more. Know others who have issues with other small things constantly going wrong. At least it looks like they have fixed the wishbone issue that caused some of the mid 2000 models to lose front wheels while driving. My work has changes in the last 12 months from supplying Territories to Klugers, costs a bit more up front, but far fewer problems.

If you really want a Ford, know one person with the Everest who raves about it.

My sister has a diesel Territory for work and she's done around 120,000kms over 3 years in it. It goes well, I've driven it a few times and she does not complain about it at all. Her husband is a leadfoot and would complain if it didn't go well and he hasn't mentioned it. 2.8 diesel, seems quite spritely when I drive it, small delay when accelerating but that's fairly normal. She tows a horsefloat with two large horses and says that it does it well. Certainly more grunt that her previous 2wd model. Both hers were 2wd. My brother has an earlier petrol AWD model and it appears to be going well too.

A couple of years back a petrol model blew up right outside my house. He towed a large yacht from Paynesville to Melbourne on a 40 degree day and the gearbox blew up 2 kms from home. I've also been in a diesel 4wd one that kept blowing up transfer / awd cases because apparently the rear tyres wear quicker than the front ones and the gearbox can't handle the difference in speed that the tyres are doing, so frequent rotations and monitoring of tyres are required. Sounds hard to believe but they were adamant that this was happening and thus causing gearbox failures. This was a customer of mine, a construction company.

The other issue that concerns me is that I assume that they will stop manufacturing them late this year or next year and they will effectively become orphaned. The Everest is touted as a replacement but I don't believe it's as roomy as the Territory. My sister quickly crossed it off her list for after her Territory goes for this reason. The Everest is also very expensive.