Prince

Settled or Invaded

Of course there are plenty of differing viewpoints.  For example, I often make the distinction between genuine progressives who try to make the world a better place, and leftists who are more interested in virtue signalling and besmirching their opponents

9 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Of course there are plenty of differing viewpoints.  For example, I often make the distinction between genuine progressives who try to make the world a better place, and leftists who are more interested in virtue signalling and besmirching their opponents

Shame you can't really tell the difference ...

32 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Shame you can't really tell the difference ...

No, I think I've correctly categorised you as a leftist

4 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

Sigh. Please keep up. 'Australia Day' is a recent invention. It used to be only celebrated in NSW, specifically Sydney. It didn't become 'Australia Day' until 1946. By then it had already become a source of contention. In short, history was 'rewritten' by establishing it as a National Holiday within the living memory of some Australians. That's the point. Got it?

You mentioned in passing the tearing down of monuments. By that I assume you are referring to the statutes of confereradte generals that litter the public parks in Dixie. Again, if you are concerned about 'rewriting history', will you at least acknowledge that these statues were erected, not in the Civil War or its immediate aftermath, but at the Height of the Jim Crow laws in the 1920s and explicitly as an overt symbol of white supremacy and black subjugation? That IS the starting point for the debate.

it is still reasonably cemented in our culture long enough and changing the date will only fuel racism against our true owners of our country. at the moment I don't really think we have a major problem with racism in this area. sure their are pockets of crazies but in general the average Aussie isn't racist towards our indigenous.  At least we don't have a lot of those marches with those hooded gentleman or those goose stepping weirdos. I just get a bad feeling we might if we start mucking around with a date that really means a public holiday, a lamb chop and the cricket. we already have an indigenous message, though short as it is, at most ceremonies.  I have not seen any glorification of captain cook except when Sam Kekivich did his lamb chop add 3 or 4 years ago.  I am sure there might be the odd landing reconstruction on Botany Bay but I really don't see the rest of us hailing Cook and the first fleet as heroes.   I think Ned Kelly gets more love and he was a murderer. oh, and yes, in regards to the statues,(though Stan Grant wants Cooks' Inscriptive modified),  I was referring to was in the states and although they may have been constructed at another time in history, during Jim Crow, they have created a divisive country by some bright spark (local councils again) who thought tearing them down is the right way to manage this problem. hey, there wasn't a problem.  You created it you idiots. just leave them be, teach your kids about what they represent, teach your kids about why they may have been erected.     

So my point is there are elements in our society, saying they are 'speaking' for this and that group and 'its in the best interests' for us, to do this and that, and this is more politically correct.  And these would be the same elements that are teaching our really young kids that 'gender is fluid' and please don't play with dolls as it degrades women and et etc. 

The less bloody meddling with things the more we will be guaranteed to f**k it all up. 

"recent invention" is open to interpretation as well, 1946 to today is a good 3 generations (5 in parts of Frankston, Logan and Minto) and getting pretty close to a lifetime

Couldn't care less though, move it to 24 October to celebrate Henry Parkes speech in Tenterfield which got the whole federation the biggest kick along

Moving it to Federation day means we'd get 2 double-banger public hols in a row - business would likely be less impacted than now as everyone already takes off those 2 weeks.

24th of October sounds good, we need more public holidays in the back half of the year to even it out.

30 minutes ago, Stikman said:

24th of October sounds good, we need more public holidays in the back half of the year to even it out.

Totally agree! 

And i I want Sydney Day back, because I always need another day to get over the shock of being back at work after Festivus

1 hour ago, XCOM! said:

Moving it to Federation day means we'd get 2 double-banger public hols in a row - business would likely be less impacted than now as everyone already takes off those 2 weeks.

And risk becoming just that bit more like NZ, no thanks

50 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

And risk becoming just that bit more like NZ, no thanks

Best rugby team, best scenery, best at tourism and best fly-fishing in the world - I'll take it!

Also, a country which can completely screw up a foreign government without have a single fighter jet or bomber in their airforce.

I love Nu Zuland Bro!

• Haha 1

26 January is the anniversary of the founding of what has become without doubt the best city in the world. Give me back my Sydney Day!

Just saw this on Facebook, might have a bit more support for this movement:

There is a major fact that people seem to be forgetting with the furore over Australia Day being on January 26th.
The 26th of January is also the anniversary of the Rum Rebellion in 1808, the only military coup in Australian history.
It's simple.
Declare January the 26th to be Rum Rebellion Day.
Everyone gets blotto on rum, marches on Parliament and deposes the government for the vicious, lying fascists they are.

This would be done as an annual event.
Beats the hell out of elections. Could be done as an annual event.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

What about Feb 7, the day Phillip formally claimed the land of Oz for George 3rd and became Governor of NSW.  

Jan 26 was just a  couple of blokes rowing ashore and whacking up a flag     

Or how bout we just change it back to a long weekend and we go to work on the 26th like up to 94, I miss those days.  public holidays on tues/ wed/ thursday are dumb.

i know they had july 30 first up.... then they moved it to july 28 in 1916.

Gee's there are some options.  Guess, we just leave it to politicians and stuff our country's long history and just go with the Keating labor govt who got everyone together on Jan 26.

Here is to Paul Keating and his vision of January 26 which he made a reality.

To Keating.

27 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

To Keating!

Put on your best Itialian suit and throw a slab of bacon on the Barbie to honour the great man, but keep the heat low so you can do it slowly, accompanied by a salad of warm lettuce

6 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

Put on your best Itialian suit and throw a slab of bacon on the Barbie to honour the great man, but keep the heat low so you can do it slowly, accompanied by a salad of warm lettuce

...and bananas for desert....

images (1).jpeg

• Like 1

I'm proud to be Australian, but I'm not sure if I'm as patriotic as many. Never painted my face with a flag or worn Australian flag tee shirts and undies.

I think it ranks with Christmas - who would bother if it wasn't a public holiday.