Prince

Settled or Invaded

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opinion/end-aboriginal-cult-of-victimhood-and-focus-on-what-matters/news-story/654e77d377afe4ae3ff8ac7d6d2354b1

Link to an article in The Australian this morning by Anthony Dillon.

Just in case it's behind a paywall - This is the bit that I think is relevant to this debate

Certainly addressing racism against Aboriginal people where it exists is worthwhile. But this should not take the place of ­addressing those issues that have the most negative impact on Aboriginal people — like unemployment, poverty, alcohol abuse, child sexual abuse, violence and unsafe living environments.

These problems require government input — but also personal responsibility. But when people are continually told that they are victims of ­racism, personal responsibility is quickly forfeited.

My friend Dave Price, husband of Northern Territory Minister Bess Price, says: “It is enormously difficult to convince your Aboriginal loved ones bent on self-­destruction that they have the power in themselves to take ­responsibility for their lives and solve their own problems when the rest of the world tells them that they are victims with a capital ‘V’. The whole debate needs to change. Let’s start by getting rid of the pernicious victim stereotype and the stultifying viciousness of political correctness gone mad.”

Shouts of racism may help politicians and academics with popularity contests, but they come at a high price for too many Aboriginal people.

• Like 2

"where it exists"

As if it exists in some sort of isolated pockets of society?

"We can't help them if they can't help themselves" stuff to abrogate all responsibility.

Perhaps, the inherent racism of the system over 200+ years has lead to the other things?

Perhaps, addressing the underlying cause, not just the symptoms is the way to go?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opinion/end-aboriginal-cult-of-victimhood-and-focus-on-what-matters/news-story/654e77d377afe4ae3ff8ac7d6d2354b1

Certainly addressing racism against Aboriginal people where it exists is worthwhile. But this should not take the place of ­addressing those issues that have the most negative impact on Aboriginal people — like unemployment, poverty, alcohol abuse, child sexual abuse, violence and unsafe living environments.

These problems require government input — but also personal responsibility. But when people are continually told that they are victims of ­racism, personal responsibility is quickly forfeited.

My friend Dave Price, husband of Northern Territory Minister Bess Price, says: “It is enormously difficult to convince your Aboriginal loved ones bent on self-­destruction that they have the power in themselves to take ­responsibility for their lives and solve their own problems when the rest of the world tells them that they are victims with a capital ‘V’. The whole debate needs to change. Let’s start by getting rid of the pernicious victim stereotype and the stultifying viciousness of political correctness gone mad.”

Shouts of racism may help politicians and academics with popularity contests, but they come at a high price for too many Aboriginal people.

Classic case of "if I were in their position I could rise above it and take personal responsibility". Right, because the author would be tougher and more capable and determined to overcome the disadvantage aboriginal people face due to generations of severe racism? No, the author is not better.

Many Caucasian people might have stories of their immigrant parents, grandparents and great grandparents and how they got to Australia on a boat from Europe or Britain with only 10 pounds and the families good cutlery and look at how they made something of themselves! Perhaps they were even escaping some form of persecution where they came from. What they often underestimate is the massive, innate advantage they had over the local aboriginal people... They were white.

A "victim mentality" is not relevant in regard to the government assistance and constitutional recognition of Australian Aboriginal people. It may be an issue on an individual psychological level but it should never be used as a generalisation(border line racial profile?) in regards to the disadvantages Aboriginal Australians face. This article seems like an attempt at justification for resenting the extra assistance or recognition one group receives over another.

It comes across as victim blaming, where they believe it is the recipients of the assistance's fault that they still need assistance because they have had enough already, when clearly they have not.

What they often underestimate is the massive, innate advantage they had over the local aboriginal people... They were white.

Explain to me how this sentence is not racist?

Explain to me how this sentence is not racist?

It is not claiming one race is better or worse than another because of their race. It is explaining what is an advantage or disadvantage due to racism.

I think that is just one more thing we will have to disagree on, I can't share your view on that

My interpretation is that one race has an inate disability to be able to handle any form of racism compared to other races which are also subjected to racism, thereby making them inferior.

I think that is just one more thing we will have to disagree on, I can't share your view on that

My interpretation is that one race has an inate disability to be able to handle any form of racism compared to other races which are also subjected to racism, thereby making them inferior.

I don't understand... You disagree that caucasians experienced an advantage over black people due to racism?

Or you disagree that that is what I wrote? It is what I meant to write.

The sentence reads clear to me... "What they[Caucasian immigrants] often underestimate is the massive, innate advantage they had over the local aboriginal people... They were white." White people had an advantage by being white because the government and society treated them differently(better, with more respect) due to their race... Isn't that what happened?

So what I was taking out of that article is that all the best attempts in the world to try and redress the past wrongs and injustices won't work while a victim mentality remains.

I don't believe the author is victim blaming at all. He's certainly not saying that there's been enough assistance for indigenous Australians. He's saying that there should be lots of help but there also needs to be 'personal responsibility'.

From my first hand experience I would agree completely with the author.

MM - If you read the whole article, the author is also "part aboriginal".

So what I was taking out of that article is that all the best attempts in the world to try and redress the past wrongs and injustices won't work while a victim mentality remains.

I don't believe the author is victim blaming at all. He's certainly not saying that there's been enough assistance for indigenous Australians. He's saying that there should be lots of help but there also needs to be 'personal responsibility'.

From my first hand experience I would agree completely with the author.

MM - If you read the whole article, the author is also "part aboriginal".

I think "personal responsibility" is an individual matter and not something that should be used as a generalisation regarding recipients of support as a whole. The idea focuses on a single symptom of failed government policy and focuses attention on perceived failures of the disadvantaged recipients rather than the government.

No, I didn't read the entire article because it is pay-walled.

End Aboriginal cult of victimhood and focus on what matters

Too many Aboriginal people in this country suffer and languish — not due to a lack of energy, effort or resources, but misplaced priorities. Take the recent stories generated by the 25th anniversary of the report of the Royal Commission into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody. We’ve seen stories and heard speeches all centring on the theme of “25 years later, Aboriginal people still die in custody”. The usual suspect, racism, is fingered as the underlying cause of these deaths. At this point, I want to make a disclosure: I write this piece as someone whose research interests include how best to promote the holistic wellbeing of Aboriginal people. Further, I write as a part­Aboriginal Australian. I do not believe that this ancestry makes my opinion more valid than anyone else, but in a world dominated by political correctness, it does provide me with the freedom to discuss matters that many are afraid to discuss for fear of “blaming the victim” or being labelled racist. Ultimately, I believe Aboriginal affairs is all our business, and we as a nation must work together. Drawing attention to an issue like Aboriginal deaths in custody is misplaced, for the simple reason that while Aboriginal people are over­represented in custody, they are not over­represented in deaths in custody. In fact, an Aboriginal person in custody is less likely to die than a non­Aboriginal person in custody. Stating this another way, there is an over­representation of non­Aboriginal deaths in custody. However, the narrative of elevated black deaths in custody is emotive, and that gets attention. Consider The health of Australia’s prisoners 2015, a publication by the Australian ­ Institute of Health and Welfare. It states: “With just over one­quarter (27 per cent) of prisoners in custody being indigenous, and 17 per cent of deaths in custody being ­ indigenous, indigenous prisoners were under­represented.” This is something that activists should never lose sight of. Yet Greens indigenous affairs spokeswoman Rachel Siewert is quoted on an ABC website as saying: “It has been 25 years since the Royal Commission into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody and Aboriginal people are still disproportionately dying while in incarceration.” At least she got the 25 years right. At the same time as the deaths in custody furore, Melbourne Aboriginal actor Uncle Jack ANTHONY DILLON THE AUSTRALIAN APRIL 19, 2016 12:00AM At the same time as the deaths in custody furore, Melbourne Aboriginal actor Uncle Jack Charles was again refused a taxi ride. This was immediately ascribed to racism. It is possible, maybe even likely, that racism was the motivating factor for the refusal. However, such racism may not be as common as some people would like to think. I am guessing that each week thousands of Aboriginal people across the country must catch taxis without incident. As such, Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews’s response that racist taxi drivers are not welcome in Victoria seems like an over­reaction, or playing to the gallery. If it is the case, the other premiers and chief ministers should perhaps prepare for a huge invasion of racist taxi drivers from Victoria. No doubt Premier Andrews will be hailed by some as the man who took a courageous stand against racism. But how does this help Aboriginal people? Certainly addressing racism against Aboriginal people where it exists is worthwhile. But this should not take the place of addressing those issues that have the most negative impact on Aboriginal people — like unemployment, poverty, alcohol abuse, child sexual abuse, violence and unsafe living environments. These problems require government input — but also personal responsibility. But when people are continually told that they are victims of racism, personal responsibility is quickly forfeited. My friend Dave Price, husband of Northern Territory Minister Bess Price, says: “It is enormously difficult to convince your Aboriginal loved ones bent on self­destruction that they have the power in themselves to take responsibility for their lives and solve their own problems when the rest of the world tells them that they are victims with a capital ‘V’. The whole debate needs to change. Let’s start by getting rid of the pernicious victim stereotype and the stultifying viciousness of political correctness gone mad.” Shouts of racism may help politicians and academics with popularity contests, but they come at a high price for too many Aboriginal people. I agree with Dave: unless the debate changes, the outcomes will not change. Let’s keep applying the same effort but direct it towards addressing the real causes of Aboriginal suffering. Anthony Dillon is a post doctoral fellow at the Institute for Positive Psychology and Education at the Australian Catholic University

Edited by Gundy

Thanks for sharing the article.

I was not expecting the author to use media and political beat ups as example causes of victim mentality and lack of personal responsibility among Aboriginal Australians. I don't think that is accurate or based on any kind of evidence other than a feeling the author may have. The stats on deaths in custody speak for themselves(an improvement) and their misrepresentation simply reflects the ignorance and/or dishonesty of the politicians involved.

I think I read somewhere that the sense of being a victim is often developed in childhood home environment rather than through mass media. Which could be addressed though better levels of education and health services to ensure the best possible environments in which to raise children. Victim mentality is more likely a generational effect of the racism Aboriginal people have faced.

I have not done and serious research into this topic and don't have any personal experiences with Aboriginal communities. My posts are meant to encourage people to thoroughly examine their position on topics like this because they(like refugees) are often used by shock jocks, opinion writers and dishonest politicians with their own agendas.

I agree that he used some odd examples in the article which was why I initially quoted the bit that seemed most relevant to my thoughts this morning.

I don't know how you stop the victim mentality. It's definitely passed on from one generation to the next.
I think the most depressing thing is the repetitious cycle of hopelessness in poorly educated, longterm welfare families (no matter the colour of their skin).

I find myself wondering out loud how the outcomes of aboriginal people who live in the circumstance of multi-generational unemployment/welfare compare to those of the non-indigenous in the same circumstance? Like the comments from the article above, is it an issue of the outcomes being worse or simply the likelihood of being in the position being greater? It doesn't make the call for help any less desperate but it certainly makes the best course of action different.

• Like 1

is it an issue of the outcomes being worse or simply the likelihood of being in the position being greater?

I think it's both.

I'm less interested in "think" and more interested in data, if it has ever been collated. I imagine that there is probably some difference but from what I have been able to observe it's probably not as great as we'd imagine.

Ah the old "victim mentality" card - absolving rspondibility. Manditory imprisonment for summary and other minor offences isn't a 200 year old historical fact. Happening now in the territory - brilliant way to inculcate a 'victim mentality' ... no?

So this will probably get me shot, lots of other countries got invaded in fact most of them, most of them moved on and got over it. Maybe time for chips to move of shoulders

200 years this week since the Appin massacre. Google it and feel ashamed.

I agree that shit that happened in the past was terrible. But why should I personally feel ashamed for something that happened generations ago?

I would be ashamed if I did anything like that now. As I would also be ashamed if I did a fair amount of the things that indigenous Australians did around here with no repercussions. Things that hurt other people - of many descents.

• Like 1

So this will probably get me shot, lots of other countries got invaded in fact most of them, most of them moved on and got over it. Maybe time for chips to move of shoulders

Well, it is kind of pointless suggestion don't you think?

The facts are the facts, Aboriginal Australians are well behind other Australians in income, education and health/life expectancy. They are over represented in our prison and justice system and their children are disturbingly over represented in child protection cases.

They can't just "get over it" and we are not meant to "feel ashamed" about how they were treated. But maybe we could respect their need for extra assistance and recognition as a way of repairing the terrible damage that has been wrought upon them by the racist actions of Australian governments.

If the Aboriginal people are not responding fast enough to the governments efforts for you're liking... Tough shite.

The facts are the facts, Aboriginal Australians are well behind other Australians in income, education and health/life expectancy. They are over represented in our prison and justice system and their children are disturbingly over represented in child protection cases.

They can't just "get over it" and we are not meant to "feel ashamed" about how they were treated. But maybe we could respect their need for extra assistance and recognition as a way of repairing the terrible damage that has been wrought upon them by the racist actions of Australian governments.

If the Aboriginal people are not responding fast enough to the governments efforts for you're liking... Tough shite.

don't committ crimes, look after their kids better, this is their choice just as it is for anglos who do the same thing and it is not the direct result of any invasion.

Make better choices

But then so was the statement that the Turtle was responding too. Why should she, or I feel ashamed of what was done 200 years ago?