lawman

Utes / Pickups

I had the pleasure of driving an F250 around Kauai for a week. As long as you don't like parking, u-turns or paying a week's salary to fill the tank it was better than lego.

1 hour ago, Ayto said:

I'm 12 months in the Colorado Cotteneyes.

I regularly tow our Camper Trailer (2.2t) and loaded up with drawers / fridge etc and I get better mileage with all that than you do in the Kluger!!!  Averaged less than 12l/100 for our most recent trip to Eildon & Healesville which has a few hills etc as you know.

Sans Camper Trailer I am regularly getting <8L per hundred as a mix of highway and around town.

Can't speak for anything else.

Good luck

Thanks Ayto, the Colarado's are on the radar as price point wise they seem to come in better than the DMax for the same level, with negligible difference in the fuel costs overall.  My brother in law has one and raves about it, but the trouble with him is everything is "top notch", until it becomes "shithouse" - eg KTM motorbikes after he had to have his engine rebuilt top and bottom twice in a 3 month period.

Newer Navara's, BT50s, and Hiluxes all seem to be much higher price point at this stage of searching, not discounting them but not seeing them at good price with low kms.  Plenty of older style Navara's around but they don't have great rep

Anyways, our third car (which I didn't get around to selling after buying the Viano for the wife due to the move and other things) is going on the market this Friday once RWC is done, priced to move quickly.  Once that goes I can get stuck into finding the right dual cab.  I'm contemplating trying to talk the wife into buying either newer or even new.  If you don't hear from me again it's been nice knowing you all and I regret nothing...

Filled up the BT-50 today.  50/50 mix of highway and city and it had burnt 8.1 lp/100.  With 40,000kms on the clock I'm getting figures of less than 7.0 lp/100 at 100 kmh.  With the 3.2 tonne Jayco van (pic on page 1 of this thread), I'm at 16lp100 Mel - Syd.  Haven't seen over 11 lp/100 for exclusively around town.  That's for the dual cab 2016 XTR with canopy.

For the BT-50 owners, I fitted one of these:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mazda-BT-50-2011-Windbooster-Throttle-Controller/121871391866?hash=item1c6019dc7a:g:mH4AAOSwyjJZvx90

Love it!  It's not a "chip" for the engine, it just plug into the accelerator cable and changes the responsiveness of pressing the accelerator.  Instead of pushing it half way down to get up and boogie, you press it more like 1cm.  Very handy with the van or boat, much less accelerator required.  Doesn't affect fuel economy, just the position of your foot.  Feels much more responsive.  The Ford doesn't need this quite so badly as their accelerator behaves a little more normally.  The accelerator response is one of the reasons why many choose the Ranger over the BT-50... it feels faster, but technically it's not.

Ran into a women at the servo today who used to be the best female triathlete around here 20yrs ago, and now is a racehorse trainer.  Been training too many winners, so had a tax problem looming, so traded her old Landcruiser with 600,000kms on it for a new Ford Ranger.  Hates it - reckons it is tinny as Hell :lol:

Edited by ComfortablyNumb

I think tinny is the way most utes and softer 4wds seem to go these days.  I almost bought a Rodeo ute back in 99 (bought the impreza instead).  2001 went to the motor show and offended the holden display people when I asked why they made them so tinny - apparently you shouldn't make comments like that at such an event.  We checked out a Nissan navara about 7 years ago when we bought the Kluger, leaned up against the front panel and felt it give way, then pop back out - turned me off buying it straight away

Put deposit down on a colorado this morning, did an extensive test drive, no off road but did put it through it's paces on dirt and dirt hills and came up pretty good, enough to not justify the price difference to the D-Max but enough to justify going above the Tritons which are going at ridiculously good prices at the moment.  Stepping stone to the 70 series Cruiser in 4 years time

Looks like the kids are being taken up around Baw Baw and Walhalla next weekend...

• Like 1

That's great. We are about to buy a Toyota Fortuner. (Hilux wagon).

Trannys Cape York trip anyone?

12 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

Put deposit down on a colorado this morning, did an extensive test drive, no off road but did put it through it's paces on dirt and dirt hills and came up pretty good, enough to not justify the price difference to the D-Max but enough to justify going above the Tritons which are going at ridiculously good prices at the moment.  Stepping stone to the 70 series Cruiser in 4 years time

Looks like the kids are being taken up around Baw Baw and Walhalla next weekend...

When we got the Pajero 2 years ago, I picked it up at 5pm Friday. By lunch Saturday it had done 100km on the off road tracks behind Mt Mee, and then Sunday we went up the inland track, and back along the beach at Bribie. We get a new car in another year, and I don't think we can go past another 4x4.

First real test tomorrow - got to take the wife's car to work to get the windscreen fixed, which means the wife takes the ute for the school drop off and run around. 

Got a tool box sitting on top of the tub across the entire back window (good to keep the chainsaw and other things locked up and save the tub for the firewood, also is set up for future engel to go in one side), so will see how she goes driving something that big and having no visibility out the back window (have reversing camera and sensors just for her). Thank god she will only be in a country town...

Off to Kieran's thread to get future upgrade ideas now