lawman

Utes / Pickups

Pickup (hate that term, too Yankee for me)

Anyway,

Needing a new car, Mrs L has conceded to my mid life crisis and says I can have a twin cab/ crew cab to take the toys away on weekends (think MTB's, kayaks and surfboards. Anyway there are way too many options in terms of makes and models.

I've got a mate in NZ who has a brilliant Colorado set up for his toys and that's one option (got pics but can't load them), Isuzu seem to have a cheap deal. But there seems so little difference in every make and model, (tray length will be an issue for me) and its got to be a non tradie interior to keep wifey happy.

Any experienced and recent owners happy to point me in the right direction.

New to $45K.

Lucky man, going down a path I can't seem to get my wife to go (yet)

I've not heard good things about the Navara's once they get past 3 years old (so depends on how long you will keep it), supposed to be a good ute up until the problems start around then. Question marks are also around about the gear box / clutch in the Amaroks, so check into that before going down that path - I'd be cautious on anything VW at the moment anyway.

Mazda BT50 / Ford Ranger are pretty much the same vehicle, just different badges so depending on price you only need to look at one of them, they get good wraps and I'm noticing alot of farmers are going to them which is a good sign. Isuzu also appears to be quite good as well and the price seems very good - I'm currently considering the MU-X for when we upgrade next year (it's my second option at present with a 70 series landcruiser my first option if I can get the wife to agree to a manual). I drive my brother in law's Hilux a bit and think the current model is very good, unfortunately you really will need the SR5 model or above before getting past the "tradie interior" which adds to the price and then makes the others better value for money IMO.

Tray length was always a short fall in the Triton's, but haven't heard how the new model stacks up on this though

Quick add in for the Navara, the new models that are DP300 or whatever have an engine built in a mercedes factory. Early days so may make some of the problems go away, but I tend to want runs on the board before investing.

checkout the Isuzu Dmax.....especially if you are going to be towing....friend has one for towing their massive van around Australia at the moment....

plus I believe Sir Roxxi has the Mazda and loves it...but he can fill you in...

myself..have an 2009 Hilux that I bought second hand in 2011.....does everything I want it to....offroad to MTB events once a month....family holidays where it is full to capacity including two kayaks and two bikes on roof and two bikes on the back....

the only downfall on mine is it dosent have any reverse camera or sensors...and that is a shit given its length....

was warned at the time of buying mine by my reliable mechanic to stay away from Navaras as they are notorious for issues....

Edited by Shrek

In recent years with work I have driven a Ford Ranger tray back, Great Wall V200(?) and now a Mitsubishi Triton, all dual cabs. Of these I'd say that the Triton is the best interior, the Ranger had the worstt tray for bikes (too short but I could run it width ways when needed) and at least when we bought them the Great Wall was the best value although also the most basic.

I probably wouldn't buy another GW, not that there was anything particularly wrong with it just that the finish is a bit rougher and the price of the alternatives have all come down a lot in the last few years. All vehicles had similar issues with dealer servicing (i.e. just painful to deal with) so I think that must be par for the course.

Great Wall and crash test ratings: think one of their models got 2 stars out of 5, another got 3 stars out of 5. Most of the other models on the list will be 4 or 5 stars

• Like 1

the Great Wall was the best value although also the most basic.

I probably wouldn't buy another GW, not that there was anything particularly wrong with it just that the finish is a bit rougher and the price of the alternatives have all come down a lot in the last few years.

The old man has a GW wagon and dual cab.

I'd agree with Stikman.

They work, but they just feel cheap.

Getting a ute with out tradie interior is like riding a vespa with a Harley jacket on!...

But seriously dont think you can go past Hilux for everything .ive got an older model and its a work horse never breaks down etc

Hilux has been the best seller for years but the others have been catching rapidly. As others have noted you prob need the SR5 version if you want to be a step above work ute standard of finishes.

Around here I'm now seeing a lot of Ford Rangers and they seem to be going ok with the exception of 1 friend who has had some engine problems a couple of times.

I bought a new Triton GLX 18months ago on price alone ($29K) and it has been pretty good but it's definitely more work ute than carlike in terms of finish and driveability. I see they've released a new model now and pricing is more like $35k+ for the equivalent model. I changed from a tub to a tray which is good for what I want.

I don't really care what I'm driving but I'm loving having a ute again after going without for a few years.

Had the same issue with wifey. When we moved it was "no way" on the truck option, but eventually she gave way and said I could get it out of my system. Bought a 2013 Hilux SR5 second hand last year. Comes with SatNav (does Bluetooth and USB for all your music needs) and reversing camera (but no sensors) and has an LCD-display aircon switches thingy. Mine also came with the tray liner, for which I've custom built some removable bike racks using wood (can send pictures) without any drilling.

On first impression the inside did look a bit tradie, but when I looked at the others it was about the best and after a short drive it didn't feel tradie at all. I was coming from a Subaru Outback which had cloth interior, so I think it was the contrast that made that initial impression.

One thing I like, is that the rear seat folds upwards, and it's big enough to get two bikes in with the front wheels off, so you can lock the precious machines away if you're camping.

Wifey likes her creature comforts, but she's not complained about the ride or the interior once - and that's saying something :wink3:

checkout the Isuzu Dmax.....especially if you are going to be towing....friend has one for towing their massive van around Australia at the moment....

plus I believe Sir Roxxi has the Mazda and loves it...but he can fill you in...

myself..have an 2009 Hilux that I bought second hand in 2011.....does everything I want it to....offroad to MTB events once a month....family holidays where it is full to capacity including two kayaks and two bikes on roof and two bikes on the back....

the only downfall on mine is it dosent have any reverse camera or sensors...and that is a shit given its length....

was warned at the time of buying mine by my reliable mechanic to stay away from Navaras as they are notorious for issues....

I had a D Max. Totally rapt with the 3 litre power and performance. Considering another one, but we will have kids in school, so the Crosswind XU-V or the slightly upmarket Sportivo. The MU -X is the renamed edition of the Alterra, looks nice, not sure on the toughness.

The Ford Ranger Wildtrac, bigger engine 3,2 l, is now the fastest moving and best looking vehicle in the Asia market. But the cheaper D Max is equally as good, the Isuzu engine is reported to be superior. If I did have the extra cash, I would be tempted to go with the Ford, but I can't.

One of the obvious questions is whether you need or want 4WD as opposed to 2WD. Some of the options discussed above will offer 2WD which will be cheaper again.

Currently doing a fair bit of research myself for an upgrade. Have convinced the better half, but it now just the timing we disagree on (ie me = now / her = sometime not now).

Whilst not a comprehensive list, here's what I have found so far:

Navara - the new NP300 has a coil rear end which from all accounts provides for a smoother ride. Can be a bit of an issue with a full payload. If into proper 4WD, the Navara does have a few bits that "hand down" underneath. Nothing that can't be fixed with proper under vehicle protection plates.

Triton - good value for money but in comparison to others has a lighter payload and smaller engine. if looking to tow probably better options

D-Max - good workhorse by all accounts and are tough as nails. Built on a light truck chassis and has pretty much a bullet proof motor / drivetrain combo. Can't comment on price / value for money as haven't got that far yet.

Amarok - as Cottoneyes has mentioned, questions around gearbox / clutch. Other issue is (for me at least) they appear pricey both upfront and for servicing.

Hilux - Bulletproof, but pricey. Appear to have lost their market edge recently with the influx of others. Still a great truck but the price turns people off.

Colorado - Good reviews, strong torquey engine and huge tow capacity. Well finished off from what I can see, but have heard a few whispers about issues with gearboxes. Nonetheless, top of the list for wifey as she is a holden fan.

BT50 / Ranger - strongest movers in this category and every bloke and his dog seem to be driving them. Both represent strong options with tow / load and engine strength but again are probably at the pricier end. Ranger is top of my list but having said that, given everyone is now in one, might need to look at something different.

Any of them represent a good option, but it really does depend what you are looking for. End of the day a ute will be tradie like in finish because simply that's what they are. If you want a luxury finish, you will pay for it (think Wild Track / SR5 etc).

Final thought - Great Wall. Don't go there, simply based on the safety rating. Not up to standard and not something I would put my kids in.

Probably done nothing but confuse you more. Definate pro's and cons to all (excluding GW as mentioned) but it depends on what you want. Have a look at them, kick some tyres and go for a drive. Only way to tell.

Oh, and make sure you sit in the back (while it's being driven). My current vehicle is excellent up front, but I lasted less than an hour in the back on a trip last year with the family last year. Had to kick daughter out of the front seat!!

Happy hunting and let us know what you decide

Ayto

As per Ayto's post, had a relo have some mysterious issue with their Colorado. Low revs hitting a hill it would just die outright, ie, just stop like someone unplugged it. Dealer testing gear showed nothing but luckily it was repeatable. They got it to happen again while hooked up to the diagnostic gear and stilk nada. They were offered a good trade on a Landcruiser so took it. They claim to have found similar stories on the net but I haven't verified. They talked us out of one anyway.

i've got an amarok and i love it. it's a great ute. i do 8.5 lt per 100km and that's not taking it easy. i get 1000km out of a tank everytime.

last year i went camping. i drove 6 hours there and back, and drove around sandy tracks for 2 days. i did 1 1/2 tanks of diesel.

it's not fast but not a slug, it's well balanced and i'd get another one straight away.

the only thing i'd say is it's not got enough grunt to tow a heavy trailer as an every day exercise. i've towed a caravan no worries, just wouldn't want to do that to a 2lt engine every day.

for the money (39k) i'd say they are hard to beat on value.

i put a reverse camera and sensors in mine. i can park it anywhere.

• Thanks 1

I've got a late 2015 MY16 new model Mazda BT50 XTR 4x2 in auto. It's our second one and we LOVE it.

We went the 4x2 as we don't really need 4wd and it has good clearance anyway. It's 3.2 litre, same as the Ranger, it's powerful and economical. On the open road at 100 kmh we get around 7 litres per 100 and i never get over around 9.5 around town exclusively in the city.

Drive away in Melbourne with a towbar for $39.5k. Canopy cost me $2.5k but they can cost up to $4k. I have a $500 nudge bar too.

The XTR over the XT model has a large screen GPS, chrome mirrors, rear bumper, driving lights, GPS, height adjustable drivers seat, carpet and a few more extra's.

The XT you can get for around $36k - it still has alloy wheels just not the extra's as above. Same engine, same gearbox etc.

Highly recommended !

Ive got a BT50 now, was in a Hilux The Hilux was a 4x2 SR5 Dual Cab.

The BT50 and Hilux (Lolux) are totally different beasts. The hilux in the low version is more car like, the BT50 is more truck-like.

We have had Nissan and Mitsi's in our fleet, on this experience I wouldnt bother with either of them.

The Hiluxs we had 5 of them that all run up 300,000+ ks. Only one issue with any of them other than regular servicing. The issue was a cat convertor crapped itself and being toyota with their record noone had started making after market parts for it yet, so we were stung for Toyota pricing on the parts. But that was it.

The Hilux doesnt have a great back seat either if anyone will be travelling in it for any length of time.

The BT 50 has impressed me so far. Diesel is a nice touch as you dont have to fill up often, mine is specced as per BC's above.

Reversing camera is a must as they are pretty darn big for parking, mine has a canopy as well. Despite the big tyres road noise isnt an issue. Not sure on the price :lol:

Ill probably be down south over the school holiday weekends, if you are about we can catch up and you can take it for a spin if you like.

PS: The BT50 XTR model comes with a reversing camera as standard (in the new model only - it's an option otherwise in the older models). If you are in Melbourne you are welcome to have a drive, but you may as well drive one at a dealer nearby or loan it for a day. A mate was just loaned a Navara for 3 days to try to get him to buy one.

I don't have reversing sensors as I simply don't need them. I find it strangely easy to park. We have a tight spot at work and 99% of the employees won't park there, so if I arrive late I back into it no dramas and my BT50 dual cab is the biggest vehicle in the car park..... which leads to the next problem... all of these utes are large to very large. They do not fit well in shopping centre car parks, but they do fit. They fit into most underground car parks and my aerial just hits when I go under a 2 metre barrier. If you are a confident driver, you'll be fine.

Comparatively a BT50 or Hilux are noticeably longer than a Prado or Territory for example.

If $45k is your budget with no extra's and you specifically want 4x4, you might scrape in a BT50, but you'll struggle to get a Ranger for that much, they are potentially $6k-$7k more but be warned, the Rangers are optioned with a smaller 2.2 diesel engine - chalk and cheese. The high-rider BT50 only comes with the larger 3.2 litre.

We were exactly like you, my near new WRX was running out of room and we had 1 kid with another on the way so it made way for the BT. No room for the kids AND the toys.

I took my BT50 away with Caravan at Chrismas - it's a 3.2 tonne caravan and towed it no dramas. We were zooming past Prado's like they were standing still. Fuel consumption was around 15.5 on average with the van, but as high as 17 and as low as 12. When we take the caravan, in the the back of the ute I carry a 4.2 metre inflatable zodiac with a 25 hp motor, so there's room a plenty with the canopy fitted.

• Like 1

They do not fit well in shopping centre car parks, but they do fit.  They fit into most underground car parks and my aerial just hits when I go under a 2 metre barrier.  If you are a confident driver, you'll be fine..

Do you find yourself ducking your head as you drive into car parks

I do :lol:

• Like 1

My bro has an Amarok with hard canopy. Massive payload in the back packed to the roof. Hose out floor. Crapped on our Prado for a Double Island Point trip in terms of ease of packing. Teenage kids haven't complained too loudly about the back seat for decent trips. He does some decent miles and loves it. Service seems expensive on paper but if like other VW, the service interval is double so you pay the same per year as a Toyota with 6 monthly services?

Another vote for the BT50. It's my son's but I tend to drive it more than our other cars as it's really good to drive, especially on the open road. It's probably a little bit 'bumpy' on rough roads when not carrying a load but I guess that's as could be expected since it's more of a truck. As BC states it's a big vehicle but it is surprisingly easy to park. We use it for towing the rally car and all the rally gear around and it does it easily.

V8 Dual Cab Landcruiser bud.

End of thread.

Edit. Didnt see the New to 45k mark.

Sorry you will only get half the car.

Edited by Tryline

Services for the BT50 are around $400 every 10,000. You can do it somewhere else if you want like I sometimes do - the oil will cost around $90 and the filter element around $25 - plus labour. I like to get servicing done at Mazda at least every second time because they often fix recall items like clamps on turbo / engine hoses for example that a non-Mazda service centre don't have access to.

Based on my posts I do seem overly passionate about my ute and I probably am to be honest as I love it. I'm yet to come across any downsides with it. Oh and when you indicate to change lanes... there's almost always room next to you... people just clear off when they see you wanting to move over.

Yes... I do duck my head when I drive into the Chastone carpark, especially when driving quickly on a mid level floor with 2.1 metres clearance!

If you are ever looking for a vehicle for towing... you need to visit a caravan park and see what people are using. The grey nomads with cash don't worry about the cost, they simply go for what is reliable and what tows well. A couple of years back everyone had Jeeps, then shortly after Rangers were very popular (and still are - with BT50's making up the expected percentage of those), and lately I'm spotting a few Colorado's and Isuzu DMax's in the parks. Cruisers are fairly common but the price keeps them moderately rare. The new Patrol with 5.7l petrol only engine is not popular at all. They also seem to go with what looks good and is a new model. I'm honestly yet to see an Amarok in any van park, mainly because they are under-powered with a 2 litre engine and the towing capacity is reduced. Rest assured a Ranger and BT will happily toy up to 3.5 tonnes, I've done it comfortably. I could tow a 3 tonne van at 140kmh if the speed limit allowed it.

ute6.JPG

ute1.jpgute3.jpgute4.jpgute5.jpg

Edited by BC_J400

D Max LS 4x2, 3 litre engine. Working off some rough calculations from the post above.

Comes in at least 10k cheaper.

The D Max LS 4x2 only has a towing capacity of 2.5t versus 3.5t for the 4x4 model. Sure you may not be towing that weight but resale would be significantly affected plus if it's built for the heavier weight you know it's going to be tougher and last longer.

The Ranger and BT are 3.5 tonnes regardless of model and specs in the high-rider and 4x4 range. When I advertised my used BT50 4x2 with 3.5t towing, the phone rang off the hook for days and it wasn't even that cheap.

You get what you pay for.

Edited by BC_J400

The D Max LS 4x2 only has a towing capacity of 2.5t versus 3.5t for the 4x4 model. Sure you may not be towing that weight but resale would be significantly affected plus if it's built for the heavier weight you know it's going to be tougher and last longer.

The Ranger and BT are 3.5 tonnes regardless of model and specs in the high-rider and 4x4 range. When I advertised my used BT50 4x2 with 3.5t towing, the phone rang off the hook for days and it wasn't even that cheap.

You get what you pay for.

Within the thread I was one of the first to mention the Ranger.

Brilliant thread, very informative.

I throw it back to the OP, he knows what he needs, and he has all his info collated here.

My inlaws have bought a bt50 dual cab tray back to tow their 5th wheeler. He seems happy with the power of it. He used to have a bigger 5th wheeler towed by a non turbo diesel Landcruiser ute. Would bitch all the time about it's lack of power - could only get it up to about 90k/hr in some conditions. Like he had to be anywhere fast!

BT50 for three years, no probs, has suited this little black duck, lots of beach work, all good in the really soft stuff, tows well

Quite a few little errors in that article that make them sound streets apart, however you'd barely notice in the end. The Ford engine was tickled in the latest model on paper and it says the Matza wasn't, however it actually was, just not documented in the specs. The Ford was $16k more for the model I bought as generally Ford don't discount off the retail, however Mazda do.

There's talk that the next BT50 in a few years will be based on the Hilux chassis and engine rather than the Ford, under a new partnership arrangement.

Don't you love Transitions! Better advice on cars than anything tri related for years :lol::lol:

So, just bought the 2016 BT50 4x2 Twin cab XTR model with a few extras - sports bar (I think I qualify, I did a triathlon once), hard cover, towbar kit and a few others for a touch under $45K.

One month wait for delivery, but hey.

this one:

http://www.mazda.com.au/cars/mazda-bt-50-dual-cab/features/exterior/

So to all my Trannie advisors - thanks!

• Like 2

Good work. You'll love it. Same as mine basically except that I went with a canopy. One month is pretty good, particularly if it's other than white as they can take a while to come.

I'm going to keep a very low profile around here if it turns out to be a lemon !! :scooter: or get out quickly.

I almost found myself annoyed the other night, there was a comparison online between all of the utes and it said that the Ranger was the fastest and the BT50 the slowest of all, but yet they are almost an identical engine? They put the BT50 at 13.5 seconds from 0-100, so I tested mine, as tested, auto, same model, etc and it pulled 10.5 seconds without pushing it and that was twice. I then realised that the article was a paid promotion by Ford on the news.com.au website.

• Like 2

BC_J

I promise that if it turns out a lemon, the worst that will happen is that you'll get out of the swim to flat tyres in T1 :sneaky2:

Edited by lawman

Dragging up an old thread.

Finally took delivery of a new MY17 Colorado LTZ (4x4) yesterday. Did a fair bit of research over the last month or 2 in particular and took advantage of some run out deals to create a bit of a price war!!

Drove pretty much everything in the class, and each has it's pros and cons. On paper my pick was the D-Max, but once we got in a drove it, it made the decision easy. It was a rough as guts and finish was at the price point it markets itself at. Nothing wrong with it as I reckon I could have saved $6/$7k, but happy wife, happy life, so the comfort of the Colorado won out.

Ranger was great, comfort wise, and had all the bells and whistles, but couldn't justify the additional cost. Didn't like the Amarok for a variety of reasons include back seat space, service cost.

Others were all much of a muchness, with various pros and cons. Was keen to have a good look over the Hilux (SR5) and personally, gotta say I was underwhelmed. Rough, noisy and just finished off, I dunno, tacky is probably the best way to describe. Each to their own, others will probably love it, but not for me.

Anyway, deal came with a few accessories mods, but now onto the serious stuff. Looking at options at the moment (just told tell the wife).

Cheers

Ayto

Been hearing alot of tradies are keen to see the final price point for the new merc ute expected to hit our shores second half of the year. Talk is the price will be similar to SR5 hilux or just a bit more. Know of a few that are holding off upgrading and missing out on tax deductions rather than having to wait 3 years.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/493001/mercedes-benz-x-class-ute-to-be-a-key-option-for-australian-buyers-company-claims/

Isuzu is supposed to be reliable and truck like. But not as refined as the Rangers/Mazda/Hilux.

Hilux is a living on its name a little.

The Ranger is great but you atleast want XLT and they cost a bit.

This link may help you.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/388419/ute-comparison-ford-ranger-v-holden-colorado-v-isuzu-d-max-v-mazda-bt-50-v-mitsubishi-triton-v-nissan-navara-v-toyota-hilux-v-volkswagen-amarok-2/

Edited by thekeeper

So thread revival time.  With the commute being done in the Kluger, the costs of petrol are killing me, currently getting around 11 - 11.5 litres per 100kms.  So with the impending arrival of a few head of sheep on the block and winter coming and the need for firewood around the corner, I've struck and the wife has kind of agreed to shopping around for a dual cab ute - once I sell one of the cars and sell the other after buying it

I'm ideally looking for a 2012 onwards D-Max with the newer more fuel efficient engine, but not completely closed off to other models, but the mileage is going to be a big consideration in getting this past the minister of finance.  How do D-Max drivers and others find their actual mileage compared to stated values?  If it helps my commute is roughly 70kms of open highway and 15kms of city driving both ways daily, my Kluger is meant to do 12.5 litres / 100kms combine so hoping that I'll find the results are better.  Ideally I'm also after 4*4 so that I can get off road a bit more

Can't help you on D-Max Utes sorry.

But I also had a Kluger a few years back. Loved the car but couldn't stand the fuel economy and size of the fuel tank meant you were constantly in line at the servo. Now drive a Prado (actually I never see it as the wife won't relinquish the keys) and love the extra fuel tank and getting up to 1300km between fills.

I drive a Triton GLX dual cab. Bought it 3 years because it was so cheap compared to everything else. Nothing spectacular in terms of finish or how it drives, but it does the job for me perfectly. My only issue has been that it suddenly got hot 3 weeks ago and ended up having to be towed to the nearest dealer. Turns out it was fatal and they're putting in a new engine under warranty. Not sure whether to be happy with the service and warranty from Mitsubishi or concerned that the original motor blew up at 40,000km.

Im in a BT50 and recently drove from home to the Gold Coast on a (65 litre) tank. 

My new guiding partner has just been thru the 'which 4WD dual cab' issue.  He ended up with a BT50 - mostly because the dealer was far more useful and switched on than the local Ford dealer, else he'd have ended up in a Ranger.  He liked the D-Max, but said the road noise was worse than my 93 diesel Hilux.....I find that very hard to believe, but there you go.

For serious off-road, they are all suspect & prone to damage without spending more $'s on lift kits etc. compared to the 93 SR5 Hilux.  On road, all new 4WD dual cabs (well maybe not a Great Wall?) are like an F1 car compared to my old rice burner.

Gundy - amazed your Triton cooked.  My brother has a 2012 model which would be the most abused Triton in Australia (e.g. 30,000kms over-due for services, engine light coming on) and it just keeps going.  It goes all right on moderate off-road stuff too.

If (when) my old Hilux dies, I'm going to replace with another old Hilux (the LN106 & 107R models are the best ever built - mine is a 107) as it never has to go more than 90mins on the bitumen.  But my Winter project is to tart the old girl up a bit, in a sort or mutton dressed up as lamb cheapie way.

33 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Gundy - amazed your Triton cooked.  My brother has a 2012 model which would be the most abused Triton in Australia (e.g. 30,000kms over-due for services, engine light coming on) and it just keeps going.  It goes all right on moderate off-road stuff too.

Apparently Mitsubishi had a machining issue on the heads of some engines at about the build time of my triton. I've been very happy with the way that they've handled it so far. Hopefully pick up the ute early next week to know for sure that I'm happy.

I have a Hilux, I've had a few and never owned anything else except a cruiser Ute and a landcruiser, i can provide absolutely no info on other manufactures purely because i just love Toyota, its more than likely that  there are better dual cabs than my hilux but i aint changing.  Haven"t been able to kill one yet.  I desperately would love to get my old 40 series back, worst car selling decision i ever made i reckon.

27 minutes ago, KieranR said:

I have a Hilux, I've had a few and never owned anything else except a cruiser Ute and a landcruiser, i can provide absolutely no info on other manufactures purely because i just love Toyota, its more than likely that  there are better dual cabs than my hilux but i aint changing.  Haven"t been able to kill one yet.  I desperately would love to get my old 40 series back, worst car selling decision i ever made i reckon.

Exactly mate.  Why anyone would buy a Ford or Holden is beyond me.  Toyota is the way to go.  Got a new Altise as my work car and it is lovely on long trips, so quiet.

You'll love it ayto. Best mate has one. I've driven it heaps. Awesome car. I'd love one but don't need it for anything. 

I'm 12 months in the Colorado Cotteneyes.

I regularly tow our Camper Trailer (2.2t) and loaded up with drawers / fridge etc and I get better mileage with all that than you do in the Kluger!!!  Averaged less than 12l/100 for our most recent trip to Eildon & Healesville which has a few hills etc as you know.

Sans Camper Trailer I am regularly getting <8L per hundred as a mix of highway and around town.

Can't speak for anything else.

Good luck