fitfastfat977

Question for the old school folk

fitfastfat977    768

Now, I'd definitely agree with you, but even when I was 70kg and fit, I had chaffing problems with my thighs. Possibly just something too large in the way. ;)

Wrong seat??

[emoji2][emoji1]

Ex-Hasbeen    3,874

Wrong seat??

[emoji2][emoji1]

Pretty much only had the Turbo to choose from back then, but running was a problem too.

• Like 2

trifun    149

Back when racing in speedos was the go, did you train in them? Like on the bike and running?

And chafe, was it a lot of Vas that got you through?

Thanks

Sorry boys - gentlemen don't run in speedos :no: .

Personally 33 years of multisport racing and never done an event that involved any other than swimming in speedos. Custom made multisport nicks (thanks mum) then custom tri-isuits until they became more widely commercially available (even back in the 80's TA had a nicks option on their WTC uniforms) now trisuits when in form and tricks & singlet/t-shirt when carry a little extra (it is a cyclic thing with me - and currently trending down so Noosa may be a trisuit event this year :msn-wink: )

(well speedos underneath for support but to solo)

trifun    149

didn't do that one, but they did for the Goldie when Spank made the gear - so great having that across your backside....

• Like 1

Jon    280

Just had to share this recent anecdote from "tridork" on Slowtwitch and this seemed like the most appropriate thread. It was a thread reflecting on the sadness of growing old.

I had a 25 year career in triathlon, struggling my way from BOP to MOP. Then, thanks to a number of factors, I decided to retire from training and racing 2 years ago. Now I just cycle commute 13km each way to work every day. On weekends I go into my bike shed, stare at my 12 bikes and with a tear in my eye, recall my mediocre past life as a fully addicted triathlete.

This Xmas, I made the mistake of standing on the scales. At first I read "one at a time please". Then I squinted and saw a large number that would scare a respectable person. Enough is enough I said, laced up my old buy well under-used running shoes and headed out the door. I struggled through a whopping 3km wobble (can't be called a run) swearing the whole time that the battery in my watch was wrong....as was my HR monitor. 3km and I suffered like a rented mule.

I managed to ditch the watch and HRM and upped my distance to fully 4km without needing a paramedic. After 7 IM, about 25 half's, marathons and halfs I was devastated about how shit I was. To add insult to injury, every fibre in my body would scream in agony from the first step till the last. Ankles, knees, hips, back, muscles everywhere (how in hell do my elbows hurt just from running 4km?). After about a dozen runs, all with the same slowness and misery, I gave up. I have resolved to lose weight first (at least down to my last IM race weight, which was still kinda heavy) before I give it another try.

Like you, my body has given up looooong before my mind does. IF you happen to find out the antidote for this, please, for the love of all that is holy, let me know so I can do it too.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"

Greyman    317

Was this Jabs posting on another forum and editing out a bit of detail to hide his true identity?

Rimmer    354

I found an old pair of Tinley sluggos when I moved house about 6 years ago (80's design of lycra, chamois and the pocket for food just above the ar$e crack). They were awesome and I would wear them in every race I could in the mid 90s.

They were last used at an aquathon on Philip Island we did as a bucks weekend when I could run down the main street of Cowes in the meat hangers .... the gasps from people out doing their Sunday shopping were hilarious.

• Like 1

AP    1,596
On 27/03/2016 at 5:20 PM, Peter said:

1994. Vas on the front of the seat.

Jump on bike and it automatically applies.

Also put some under the nose of the seat if ypu need extra but you won't.

I did lots of races in speedos - lots of girls did full IMs in two piece suits - sunburn was the biggest issue - the worst thing about vas under the nose of the seat - it was handy for the rider to access - but I had a bike shoup at the time and I don't know how many times I picked up a bike to put it up on the bike stand to servide it and stuck my fingers into the vas under the seat - YUCK - it was only vas but it didn't feel good :lol:

AP    1,596
On 29/03/2016 at 5:45 AM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Pretty much only had the Turbo to choose from back then, but running was a problem too.

Every body had a Turbo saddle - if it "didn't suit you" you just adapted to suit it - we did what we could with what we had B)

Rimmer    354

Used to race everything in the sluggos. Tinley ones with the pocket at the back for some gels or a Powerbar. 

Then I got fat!

trifun    149

On 16/07/2017 at 1:29 PM, AP said:

Every body had a Turbo saddle - if it "didn't suit you" you just adapted to suit it - we did what we could with what we had B)

Had a red one once to match a bike frame - never use a light coloured tri suit with a red seat!

Ex-Hasbeen    3,874

Can you remember that guy that was sponsored by Qld Bananas and had bright yellow speedos, and a red turbo? It looked like that time of the month for him.

lawman    264

My Tinley sluggos had a very light weight chamois liner.

Our triclub raced every Sunday morning along part of Botany Bay, through the airport tunnel and along some pretty busy roads.  You'd never get away with safety issues these days but at least it took my mind off the fact that I was racing, in traffic, in speedos!

What was I thinking.

• Like 2

oldschool69#2    136
On 7/20/2017 at 9:41 AM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Can you remember that guy that was sponsored by Qld Bananas and had bright yellow speedos, and a red turbo? It looked like that time of the month for him.

I remember seeing a video clip of a tv add for that im pretty sure Tony Southwell was in it?