fitfastfat977

Question for the old school folk

fitfastfat977    768

Never trained in them, no.

But did do a few IM and half IM in them and never required vas.

pinkboy

Cheers

You have to remember that I have thunder thighs [emoji1][emoji1] #sponsoredbylube #3Bcreamposterboy

[emoji106]

roxii    4,113

Did a few training rides in them. You can only imagine the "encouragement" we got from drivers in Sydney's western suburbs heading along the Hume highway in a flouro pink pair of sluggos.

Raced in them pretty much all my races apart from ironman with a leather Rolls saddle. A bit of vas before you headed out was enough to get you through the day.

• Like 1

CEM    194

The worst injury from racing in them was sunburn on upper leg, but otherwise they were surprisingly comfortable. I used vas as a just-in-case measure.

Peter    1,611

1994. Vas on the front of the seat.

Jump on bike and it automatically applies.

Also put some under the nose of the seat if ypu need extra but you won't.

Speedos is how real racers race.

Triathletes are soft now.

I did 2 ironmans in speedos. Didnt have an issue.

• Like 2

James    165

I had forgotten all about pre-lubing saddles

• Like 1

roxii    4,113

Worth remembering too that back in the day shirts weren't compulsory either so your sluggos was all you were wearing.

Was certainly a good incentive to keep the weight down

• Like 3

Ex-Hasbeen    3,874

This. Vas on the seat, and if you were lucky, get the girlfriend to apply some to the inner thighs. We would always use the excuse that you couldn't get it on your hands before the swim.

• Like 3

Flanman    1,112

Never a budge boy. Got the handbrake to make some bike pants back in 1989.

1st rule of racing - always look after the boys.

FM

Mjainoz    1,046

Don't remember training on them. But raced every 2nd weekend back then so was regular.

Yeah Vaso. Turbo saddle.

Had a massive cut in crease of groin in a half once. Ie deep cut say 3cm long. Took months to fix. Tyr sluggos. Never bought em again.

Edited by Mjainoz

ironpo    2,838

Ip is soft.

I remember he was once tough as nails.

No you don't

Your too old

I'm just about to go swimming without sluggos

Now I hope I stay soft for the next two hrs

Lol

Cheers

Ivp

• Like 1

Slowman    238

My bikini clad brethren :lol::lol: maybe did a couple of Kurnell sprints in just speedos but soon after I started the race rules came in that torsos were to be covered. There was a whole lot of argument at the time about whether it was residents complaining or females complaining because they couldn't race topless as to why that came about :lol:

You could even buy speedos that had an internal pouch at the back where you could put food - just imagine what it looked like from behind! And then they guy reaches in and eats it!!!

• Like 3

oldschool69    116

Speedos and Vas went hand in hand !

I was fortunate enough to do a few races before the singlet rule came in , I used to always find the best looking young female from the rotary club that was delegated to put numbers on and stand there with pride in the budgies as she marked the front of my chest...well (ribs) with my number.

Never trained in them as we were a sport fighting for street cred and well you just dont do it!! Haha

When the singlet rule came in and before Lessing revolutionized the wearing of girl one piece swim suits we used to cut the back of the singlet at the neck and roll it down tuck it into or speedos and just leave a tiny bit of the shoulder straps hanging out each side , as your running to the bike just pull it up and slip it on !

Ps Bring back the speedos!!!

Mike Del    27

Racing and training in Speedos, soft ribbed leather helmets, toe clips and cleats, conventional handlebars, Nike Sock Racers, Oakley Factory Pilots..... ahhh the mid 80's, those were the days

Edited by Mike Del
  • Like 2

Jon    280

i still race in Speedos but i put knicks on in T1 for anything longer than OD and take them off in T2. The 'boys' prefer that snug feeling.

• Like 1

clintred    77

Have raced in budgys for the last three years, everything up to ironman, a little bit of body glide doesn't hurt but to put it bluntly if you need to vas your thighs you should skip dessert!

Never have I trained in them on the bike, the amount of abuse that would be slung from cars would be deserved!

• Like 1

fitfastfat977    768

Have raced in budgys for the last three years, everything up to ironman, a little bit of body glide doesn't hurt but to put it bluntly if you need to vas your thighs you should skip dessert!

Never have I trained in them on the bike, the amount of abuse that would be slung from cars would be deserved!

Too true on the desert.

You must follow me on Instagram

#fatdadbod #thunderthighs [emoji1]

#blessed?

Greyman    317

What Pete said. The Vaseline on the seat is just one of the lost secrets of triathlon.

I raced in speedos from 1985 to 1997 when I got my first pair of Tri Knicks. There were times in the longer racers, like the World Cup on the Gold Coast and Callala HIM where I wore bike Knicks over the speedos because some of the roads were crap. And I need a bit more comfort for the family jewels

These days, Tri suit or Tri Knicks. Speedos only for the pool.

Ex-Hasbeen    3,874

Now, I'd definitely agree with you, but even when I was 70kg and fit, I had chaffing problems with my thighs. Possibly just something too large in the way. ;)