bortho

New Wetty

Hi all,

My lovely Labrador decided she liked the look of my wetty that was drying on the clothes line more than I and has "rearranged" it shape to suit her dog bed!!

It was a basic orca suit, has done the job for 5 years and if the upgrade wasn't forced it would have done the job for a good while longer too!
So what is the deal with wetties these days, what are the benefits of spending more cash on the dearer suits? Anybody know of any you beaut ripper deals going? What are people wearing? Keeping in mind for the last 4 years this suit gets 1 ironman swim and maybe 2 training swims use per year.

thanks for the advise

Bortho

https://aus.dare2tri.com/product-category/wetsuits/

Check out the wetty specials they have at the moment.

Edit to say look at this. 5mm front down to the knee. $200. Boom.

https://aus.dare2tri.com/shop/dare2tri-mens-wetsuit/

Edited by Rocket Salad

The benefits of spending more cash is better design around the shoulders for better movement. Bloke in our squad found ~10sec per 100m improvement after changing from cheapest blue seventy to the helix. He swam once in the cheapie then bought the helix after our coach suggested he try it.

I've switched to sleeveless and much prefer it. Much more freedom in the shoulders.

I've switched to sleeveless and much prefer it. Much more freedom in the shoulders.

Get a suit that fits properly and put it on properly and you'll be sweet.

OP - don't buy cheap dare2tri stuff. Spend the money on something good, you won't regret it

slower? did you try and get a good full sleeve ?

I'm on sleeveless too won't be going back I don't think.

I good sleeved suit that fits well is better than sleeveless.

I own both and just wear what I feel like at the time. Generally when I'm this fat the sleeveless because the sleeves doesn't quite fit :S

• Like 1

Just bought a Roka sleeveless in the sale as my Axis Blueseventy full sleeve turns my arms into dead-weights after some painful pins and needles. Absolutely about fit, but I'm working on the concept that without sleeves there's no need to worry about the shoulder fit at all. Will test it out at the club champs.

The benefits of spending more cash is better design around the shoulders for better movement. Bloke in our squad found ~10sec per 100m improvement after changing from cheapest blue seventy to the helix. He swam once in the cheapie then bought the helix after our coach suggested he try it.

Wow i could almost keep up with the pros if i had a wetsuit!

Great?

Just saying if your were a wetsuit salesman I would have thrown cash at you for a 10sec improvement per 100m.

Just saying if your were a wetsuit salesman I would have thrown cash at you for a 10sec improvement per 100m.

We will do a bit of pool swimming in our wetties coming into events so its easy to see any gains you get.

I hate my wetsuit. And I got one with different, looser material around the shoulders to allow for more movement. If I could buy a different wettie, I'd get one with not sleeves.

Oh, and I timed a sprint triathlon 18 months ago and was only 10secs faster with my wettie, including transition, than without a wettie. I enjoyed my swim more without the wettie...

Check that video if youre not getting help putting a suit on it won't feel good. Also make sure it is well pulled up around your groin and pulling the sleeves up like he suggests is also very important. Mine sits about an inch above where my watch would sit (i dont wear a watch in the swim)

• Like 1

slower? did you try and get a good full sleeve ?

Not sure. Not much in it. I've got a decent 2XU full sleeved that fits well, but I just prefer a sleeveless. I don't think there are any performance gains with a sleeveless, for me it's more about feeling comfortable.

• Like 1

I'm in the sleeveless club too. I had a Blue Seventy Helix fitted by the Aqua Shop - cost around $700 and hated it. Bought a $110 sleeveless from Amazon and never looked back. The difference in speed - bugger all; the difference in feel and fatigue - huge.

If I was to buy another suit I'd buy another sleeveless but would get a better quality one. The cheapie tears if you look at it the wrong way...

FWIW, I also have a HUUB speedsuit and speed wise (for me) it's the same as the wetsuits. Not quite as 'easy', but just as fast.

I'm on sleeveless too won't be going back I don't think.

You need to try the two piece Desoto same freedom as sleeveless

You need to try the two piece Desoto same freedom as sleeveless

You'll never see me in one of those :D

I find I definitely go faster with sleeves. Makes my arms feel thicker and have more pull but I do modify my stroke slightly to use wider elbows. If I didn't have sleeves it would be my same spindly arms pulling a larger mass through the water, albeit floating somewhat more.

I want sleeves still, have no issues swimming in my current sleeves suit, looking at blue seventy reaction suit, anybody got one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk