Peter

Sugar, AP and Slurpee's

Good point there AP.

All this talk about racehorses - look at the handicap weights they give them which brings them back to the field - a couple of kilos can bring a 600-700kg animal back to the field - these are absolute elite athletes

Now the readers of this thread - if any of you are carrying 2-3kgs too much - imagine how much of a handicap it is for a 65-75kg athlete to carry 2kgs too much into a 42km run - if you doubt the handicap put a weight vest on with 2kgs in it and run a couple of 400m efforts - then take it off and try again :smile1::shy::shock:

I think I need to start by giving up Slurpee's

7-Eleven is running it's annual Bring Your Own Cup Day this weekend, which means many people will be downing massive Slurpees. Here are the ground rules for this year's BYOC Day:

• It costs $1.50 to fill up your cup
  • the cup must fit through a 10-inch hole
  • the cup must be watertight
  • one cup per person

As you can imagine, most people try to bring in the biggest cup possible. The 10-inch hole stipulation prevents folks from bringing their kiddie pool, but customers are still able to fill gigantic containers. For example, this 1.5-gallon fish bowl looks like it falls within the rules. If you were to fill it up with an Airheads Xtremes Rainbow Berry-flavored Slurpee, you'd have a treat stuffed with 552 grams of sugar.

That's as much sugar as 118 Oreos! That's as much sugar as 14 cans of Coke! According to the American Heat Association, that's enough sugar to last you over two weeks!

If you're heading to 7-Eleven for BYOC Day, consider this an official reminder to slurp in moderation.

So me being a Fat cant, im really disadvantaged in a tri!

63-85kg apparently is healthy BMI.

18 to go.... sigh.

Edited by Tryline

Yummy Roxii!

You surf better site than me roxii.

But guessing RS is at the extreme level.

Maybe shouldn't have had that 170g packet of chips for lunch!

More cola on the left

Maybe shouldn't have had that 170g packet of chips for lunch!

don't worry the chip companies are trying to save you. they used to give you 250g and then 200g packets but now they are health conscious at 170g

don't worry the chip companies are trying to save you. they used to give you 250g and then 200g packets but now they are health conscious at 170g

Yes but the packets are bigger

Just less in them!!!!!!

wtf is going on there

Cheers

Ivp

I knew I wa being shorted when I had to tear the packet open and lick the insides! Just not enough.

drumsticks (ice cream) smaller too...

FYI I find each 1kg I weigh over race weight costs me about 3 secs a k slower (up to a limit)

(Did some maths on that one time. - was about right - assumes not obese, fit, lowish body fat and just use kg in vo2 x at ... i could be talking crap but a 1kg = 30 secs in a 10k is about right for me)

Edited by Mjainoz

drumsticks (ice cream) smaller too...

FYI I find each 1kg I weigh over race weight costs me about 3 secs a k slower (up to a limit)

(Did some maths on that one time. - was about right - assumes not obese, fit, lowish body fat and just use kg in vo2 x at ... i could be talking crap but a 1kg = 30 secs in a 10k is about right for me)

That seems pretty close but I think that for some the loss is greater -- it may relate to their overall strength

• Like 1

I wouldn't have a clue what it costs me. The only time I've raced at what probably should be my race weight was about 3 weeks post op so race was crap anyway. Usually 4k heavier than that. Like I'm racing for sheep stations anyway.

3-5 seconds per km per km is the gen rule i use. 3 secs per km for 3min per km 5k guys, 5 secs per km for 5min per km 5k guys

• Like 1

Keep going ;)

3-5 seconds per km per km is the gen rule i use. 3 secs per km for 3min per km 5k guys, 5 secs per km for 5min per km 5k guys

I hate the idea of pushing people to get their weight too far down..esp. women.... but the impact of say 1kg being near a min over 10kms is a bloody big carrot.

As AP says, look at the racetrack and see how betting changes if a horse gets a few kg penalty...

if you didn't know better you would think it would make any diff to such a big strong animal.

I heard an extremely good runner once say; the general is...

For every % of weight lost equates to the same % reduction of time for any distance run

meaning:

a 80kg person can run a marathon in 3hr 30min (210 minutes)

if that person loses 4kg of fat, not muscle used to move forward (5% weight loss)

they should run a marathon in 3hr 19min 30sec (199.5 minutes)

can that be an assumption for each discipline?

I would doubt it ... not an expert but weight on bike is not much of an issue except for a bigger body ie frontal area (unless hilly) - swim, fat floats! :) Edited by Mjainoz

I don't care what you guys are saying........... I'm still looking at Roxii's picture...... I still can't decide which one of them I'll have!!!!

But a friend of mine said, if you are 10kg overweight you just carried an extra 42 tone around the marathon course on a per metre basis.......... 42km = 42000 metres.

Therefore 42000 X 10kg = 420000kg = 42 tone.

• Like 1

I don't care what you guys are saying........... I'm still looking at Roxii's picture...... I still can't decide which one of them I'll have!!!!

But a friend of mine said, if you are 10kg overweight you just carried an extra 42 tone around the marathon course on a per metre basis.......... 42km = 42000 metres.

Therefore 42000 X 10kg = 420000kg = 42 tone.

I like the tone of your thinking. But I don't know if you mean ton or tonne ? :).

Damn, beat me to it Roxii

• Like 1