Riddos

AFL 2017

Riddos    101

Looking forward to the new season getting underway and hopefully a bit less peptide focus this season.

Rough season preview...

I've got 3 teams a lock for top 8, Hawks, Freo, Eagles.

I've got 5 teams that can't make the top 8, Bombers, Blues, Lions, Saints, Demons (of those I think the Demons could be the best, Jesse Hogan got to sort out his set-shot kicking though).

Then the rest. Really have no idea how they'll pan out, Pies should be pretty good, Cats have great top-end talent but lack depth, Swans lower then previous seasons, Giants or Suns to make finals for first time?

Edited by Riddos

Kamal2    231

I'm taking the Bombers, Round One v Suns @ Metricon. Huge upset, what will it pay on the TAB?

I understand we will only win a few games and probably finish bottom.

Port to make the 8, with the Dogs continuing to show improvement. I think however they wont make the 8 ahead of the usual scramble for 6th-8th.

Nath.    297

ððð

What happened to my p1ss myself laughing emoticons?

I thought you were giving him pineapples!

Cottoneyes    752

Going to be an interesting year, if the top 8 don't significantly improve against last year, they will all slide.

Cats (barring injuries to key players) should be top 8 and the Pies should be there as well with a vastly better second half of season as the young kids get some more endurance (and having more options to kick the goals instead of Clokes usual yips - I also see Cloke in his last few seasons, do not expect him to be playing past 2017, he's really in the same situation as Fraser was now with the better options coming in that will keep him out of the team). Giants and or Suns (With a fit Ablett) will also be unlucky to not make it into September as well, Port for me is a smokey that I don't want to call. That's around 3 - 4 teams from last years 8 that need to make room.

Crows, Sydney, North, and West Coast in that order are my picks to drop out as the others come in, I see the Hawks finishing 4 - 6 and missing out on the GF.

Freo is my pick to breakthrough

Stikman    1,297

I think the 'Pies will have the same problem of the last few years, a shit coach (though I also think they lack key talent.)

Haven't followed the pre-season much but right now I understand that there are about 13 teams that are all shoe-ins for the eight. Like most years we won't really know where teams are really at until about round 7 or 8. I'm optimistic that my boys (Freo) will still be top 4 or thereabouts come September. The midfield is superb, forward line marginally more dangerous though still probably below par and the backs play a real team game and though McPharlin is a big loss he hasn't played for big chunks of the last few seasons without too much damage.

Possible sliders are Richmond (sorry Tyno), North, Doggies and West Coast courtesy of tougher draws but probably only one of the first two to drop from the eight. I can't see anyone other than Geelong or Port really lifting themselves back in.

Tyno    1,330

Much discussion amongst the faithful about a need for a solid start.

Best effort under Hardwick so far has been 3-3.

That's not good enough.

Add to that we have blokes with over-use type injuries already.

But, if we can't beat Carlton, well........

Cottoneyes    752

Stikman, you seriously believe that Adelaide who was only just in the 8 is going to be there again after losing Dangerfield?

Stikman    1,297

I can't believe that the mid-year murder of their coach didn't negatively affect them so with that (mostly) behind them I would expect them to be better as a team. Had they won the game against Geelong as they were expected to before it was declared a draw they would have finished 6th, above the Doggies that many people expect a lot from this year. Dangerfield is a huge loss but I don't think he alone makes 2-3 games difference in the win column. To be frank it's more about pessimism for the teams that finished 11-18 last year than it is anything else, the drop-off was fairly large.

• Like 1

Riddos    101

Was never going to be pretty but happy to see the Tiges get the 4 points and no new injuries.

Interested in the Demons vs Giants game tomorrow, two teams that could surprise to the upside this season if they start well. Demons with the likes of Petracca, Brayshaw, and Trengove looking to break into the first team soon and Giants with Coniglio and Hoskin-Elliott left out of firsts shows both teams have decent depth.

Riddos    101

For all the talk of the Carlton rebuild, stats from last night...

Average games per player: Richmond 73.7 - Carlton 84.5

Average age: Richmond 24y 5m - Carlton 25y 7m

fitfastfat977    768

Although I follow the North Queensland Cowboys, WCE are my AFL team. I hope we can go one better than last year.

Geelong will be a force. Nth Melbourne to have a stinker. Hawks to make the GF but lose. Essendon to go winless.

Peter    1,563

Hawks wont make top 4.

Bomber will win a few games.

I hate to say it. Freo will win.

Mjainoz    1,034

Pies are poor, but some of the Swans new blood looking promising.

Yes indeed they did. Would hate to be a selector mid week. Pies got killed in midfield.

Swans defence not really troubled. It worries me. Teddy R to come back and bring experience.

But pies were woeful. Suspect drugs and Swan off early had a big impact. Still a win is a win. Cheer cheer ;)

(Was magic out there tonight. Warm. Perfect watching weather; Oh and a surprise my (sports not general) doctor is now Swans Dr. Weird as 27 years ago had same situation.

Edited by Mjainoz

Stikman    1,297

Do I watch more than the first quarter before I throw away my hopes for the season? Lack of skills and effort is deplorable!

Kamal2    231

Yes indeed they did. Would hate to be a selector mid week. Pies got killed in midfield.

Swans defence not really troubled. It worries me. Teddy R to come back and bring experience.

But pies were woeful. Suspect drugs and Swan off early had a big impact. Still a win is a win. Cheer cheer ;)

(Was magic out there tonight. Warm. Perfect watching weather; Oh and a surprise my (sports not general) doctor is now Swans Dr. Weird as 27 years ago had same situation.

Swan might not be back, career ending I would think.

No point in over reading Round One....Swans are youngish, exciting, play half of their games in Sydney, have a chance for the 4. Pies not. Yeah the Pies have a few good young players but they did not rebuild quickly enough, they stood still a few years after winning a GF......that shows now. Cloke again, almost no possessions or positive touches the entire first half.

Any club wanting a spot in the 8 would have to be better than, Roos, Tigers, Port, Bulldogs, that's big ask. That's why Gold Coast and GWS remain on the fringe, it's a big leap and it will take at least 12 wins....I think short again.

fitfastfat977    768

Yeah agreed

West coast won. But should have been 110 points or more. Bit worried especially when you see the Hawks come back to nearly win against Geelong. Next week will be a different story for the Eagles. Away vs the Hawks.

Great to see Freo on the bottom of the ladder. Won't last but I do enjoy it. Ross Lyon anywhere anytime.....pfft

Riddos    101

I'll take another 22 Rounds of Footy like that, some cracking games already. Early days but the rule changes seem to have lead to some more attacking play.

Round 2 sees 9 teams that won in Round 1 vs 9 teams that lost in Round 1.

Tyno    1,330

Still some fine tuning required for the deliberate out of bounds interpretation though.