goughy

Cardinal Pell

Tim Minchin has demonstrated all that is wrong with the media, social media and the world in general.

News is no longer news. Its a collection of peoples opinions based on what they "hear" from the mainstream media (which has its own particular bias). I doubt whether too many people have read the entire transcript and so many have based their opinions from selected extracts (possibly taken out of context) thrown out by the mainstream media to feed their own cravings for "audience".

Tim Minchin has demonstrated all that is wrong with the media, social media and the world in general.

News is no longer news. Its a collection of peoples opinions based on what they "hear" from the mainstream media (which has its own particular bias). I doubt whether too many people have read the entire transcript and so many have based their opinions from selected extracts (possibly taken out of context) thrown out by the mainstream media to feed their own cravings for "audience".

I think tim minchin has demonstrated, once again, how topsy turvy the world is.

Think about it, we now have musicians/comedians with more morals and empathy than senior clergy.

That same senior clergy spend a lifetime TALKING about doing good in the world, and then put most of their energy into treating people kike shit (be they gay people that would like to get married, or children raped by their peers, or whatever).

If the church gave half as much effort to helping abuse victims as it did to moving priests around, buying off accusers, shifting assets to prevent being sued, failing to report abuse to authorities, and moving people overseas they woildnt be in this mess.

And if Pell truly gave a shit about these people, hewould make every effort to get back to Australia for no otherreason than its the rightthing to do. Might i remind you he w as OK to fly to the UK last year to go to the cricket! But priorities, huh?!

Might i also emind you that JUST LAST WEEK thecatholic church released new guidelines stating that priests/clergy did nkt necessarily have to report abuse to the authorities. ....

May i ask, what sort of institution would make such a decision, especially given the now known events of the recent past?

No institution that i could have respect for...

Can you even imagine a school, or major business adopting a pllicy that if therape of a child becomes known we dont necessarily have to get the cops involved? Disgraceful

What else would you expect from an organisation that asks it members to dig deep to help the poor, while they hoard away untold billions in wealth

Bankers' best guesses about the Vatican's wealth put it at $10 billion to $15 billion. Of this wealth, Italian stockholdings alone run to $1.6 billion, 15% of the value of listed shares on the Italian market. The Vatican has big investments in banking, insurance, chemicals, steel, construction, real estate.

That's the best guess? I can't possibly believe the Vatican is worth that little. I wouldn't even be able to imagine all the stuff they've got squirreled away within those walls!

I think tim minchin has demonstrated, once again, how topsy turvy the world is.

Think about it, we now have musicians/comedians with more morals and empathy than senior clergy.

I'm not sure that there is anything new about that.

Back in the 1600's there was this guy called Shakespeare, while the Catholic church was still full-on in its repressive authority and elitism in the senior clergy.

Musicians/Poets/Comedians/etc have always had more morals and empathy than the senior Catholic clergy.

That's the best guess? I can't possibly believe the Vatican is worth that little. I wouldn't even be able to imagine all the stuff they've got squirreled away within those walls!

Of course, they did have that business with Banco Ambrosiano that cost them a bit...

Musicians/Poets/Comedians/etc have always had more morals and empathy than the senior Catholic clergy.

Yeah Right. Drugs, alcohol, sex with endless lines of groupies, and trashing rooms (just to name a few). All the good things that the youth of today should be aspiring to adhere to.

I wonder if we (and the media) would be debating this topic with as much vigour if the subject was a senior sports administrator or coach instead of a senior catholic clergy member?

Not that it would ever happen because we all know that this sort of stuff doesn't happen in sport.

• Like 1

I wonder if we (and the media) would be debating this topic with as much vigour if the subject was a senior sports administrator or coach instead of a senior catholic clergy member?

NO probably not, but then again sports administrators dont go preaching about what is right and wrong.

Just like police get held to a higher standard and are under more of a spotlight when they break the law as they are entrusted to uphold the law.

Not only are these infractions breaking the law, but also seen as a misuse of their office and violating the trust that we put in them (or they demand)

All I can say is that I am glad that Tim has done what he has....to bring it to the forefront and have people realize a little more of what may have been done, all I can do is wait my turn to give evidence to the royal commission, in WA alone there is a 12 month wait.

I can't wait to have my day in court, to tell my story and try and change things for my son, and other peoples children so they never have to go through what I have gone through.

• Like 9

Two words for you - Brett Sutton

• Like 1

NO probably not, but then again sports administrators dont go preaching about what is right and wrong.

Don't know about you but as a coach I've often received a list of Do's and Don'ts including (if memory serves me correct) a 30 minute lecture during the TA coaches course on the appropriate way to touch women and children when instructing.

All I can say is that I am glad that Tim has done what he has....to bring it to the forefront and have people realize a little more of what may have been done, all I can do is wait my turn to give evidence to the royal commission, in WA alone there is a 12 month wait.

I can't wait to have my day in court, to tell my story and try and change things for my son, and other peoples children so they never have to go through what I have gone through.

Good luck mate.

I dont for one minute think these perpetrators are sorry for what they have done, only that they are sorry they have been caught, nor do I think they grasp (or care) about the long term effects of their actions.

• Like 1

Don't know about you but as a coach I've often received a list of Do's and Don'ts including (if memory serves me correct) a 30 minute lecture during the TA coaches course on the appropriate way to touch women and children when instructing.

Sure and thats great, but coaches are not the ones standing up on a Sunday morning telling all and sundry about what is right and wrong and what "God" thinks, then doing these heinous crimes.

Two words for you - Brett Sutton

Perfect example. Certainly didn't get the media attention that George Pell is currently receiving and outside of triathlon circles is probably unknown.

Perfect example. Certainly didn't get the media attention that George Pell is currently receiving and outside of triathlon circles is probably unknown.

Oh please. The media don't give a rat's about triathlon so it was never going to hit main stream media but it was absolutely hammered here and on twits.

The difference is that triathlon is practised by an infinitesimally small niche and the Catholic church likes to think it speaks for half the earth's population. Within their circles, they both got huge coverage - and deservedly so.

• Like 1

Oh please. The media don't give a rat's about triathlon so it was never going to hit main stream media but it was absolutely hammered here and on twits.

The difference is that triathlon is practised by an infinitesimally small niche and the Catholic church likes to think it speaks for half the earth's population. Within their circles, they both got huge coverage - and deservedly so.

Sutton was a swim coach at the time. Certainly not as high profile as the football codes, but just about as high a profile as any other sport gets in Australia. To think the judge suspended the sentence because they didn't want to cost Aus any medals at the coming Olympics. I'll bet that made the families affected feel good.

Sure and thats great, but coaches are not the ones standing up on a Sunday morning telling all and sundry about what is right and wrong and what "God" thinks, then doing these heinous crimes.

Hypocrites are no necessarily restricted to the pulpit on a sunday but not all get the same media/social media attention. A policeman/pollie caught speeding or over the limit will rarely receive more than a cursory comment. Not to mention at least one member of the Judicial bench who deserves an honourable mention in this list

Sutton was a swim coach at the time. Certainly not as high profile as the football codes, but just about as high a profile as any other sport gets in Australia.

Not really, swimming, like cycling, only gets exposure when there's an Olympics looming.The rest of the time it barely rates a mention in any media - probably ranks with Union or Basketball. I'd suggest surfing gets a lot more attention than swimming.

I think the huge coverage is entirely proportional to the scale of the crime. In the Hunter Valley alone there are 400 confirmed cases of abuse.

Across the country the cases would run into the thousands.

If you can point to any other single organisation with this sort of abuse, on this sort of scale i would suggest it would be front page news for months on end!

Imagine if this was something hidden away by Apple executives, for example.

The truth is that the media haven't even reported half what they should have, and we have significant media identities who not only FAIL top report this stuff but actively SUPPORT THE CHURCH (Bolt and Price this week used their extensive networks and huge reach to protect Pell)

Its rediculous to try and deflect the blame for this by saying its a media beat up. .... if the Catholic church didn't want this sort of attention they could simply have not been ****ing little boys for the past 5 decades. ..

Quite frankly I'm disgusted that anyone could try and deflect any blame whatsoever by making any type of excuse about too much media attention or too much focus. What sort of people try to excuse the raping of children by saying 'its all the fault of the media'?? And 'they are under too much media attention'?

This is obviously the sort of deluded thoughts Pell has as well - who cares if hundreds of kids got raped, its all the fault of the media.

Edited by TryTriB4Forty
  • Like 1

Hypocrites are no necessarily restricted to the pulpit on a sunday but not all get the same media/social media attention. Â A policeman/pollie caught speeding or over the limit will rarely receive more than a cursory comment. Â Not to mention at least one member of the Judicial bench who deserves an honourable mention in this list

You trying to equate speeding or drink driving (as bad as they are) with the systematic rape (and cover up) of thousands of kids ....

Righhhhhttttt.....

When a heap of police rape hundreds of kids and cover it up, im pretty sure it will be on all the news reports....

Edited by TryTriB4Forty

I think the huge coverage is entirely proportional to the scale of the crime. In the Hunter Valley alone there are 400 confirmed cases of abuse.

Couldn't agree more - this deserves to be on the front page of every paper around the world. For all we know Australia might be the tip of the iceberg.

• Like 1

What else would you expect from an organisation that asks it members to dig deep to help the poor, while they hoard away untold billions in wealth

I'd be tipping it's much much more than any of us think.

Yep, poor starving people everywhere and they have the power to help. But do they? nup.

People like Bill Gates do much much more and I don;t think he is even religious

You trying to equate speeding or drink driving (as bad as they are) with the systematic rape (and cover up) of thousands of kids ....

Righhhhhttttt.....

When a heap of police rape hundreds of kids and cover it up, im pretty sure it will be on all the news reports....

No you equated speeding or drink driving with the systematic rape (and cover up) of thousands of kids...

I'm trying to equate people in authority being hypocrites. Completely different line of thinking. But thank you for your misinterpretation.