goughy

Cardinal Pell

According to Steve Price Pell has given evidence UNDER OATH and therefore should be believed. Talk about naive. And as for Pell's career? Well all the lying and obfuscation has gotten him close to the top. So yeah it's all been worth it.

What Price doesn't seem to get, is that this is a Royal Commission; a public inquiry! As new information comes to light, they may need to ask different questions, or get a statement on such information that wasn't known about earlier in the process.

I summarise Price's position as a supporter of the catholic church's indifference to child abuse, and as someone who sees respect and protection for Pell as more important than the truth. He should be ashamed of his comments, but he won't be.

• Like 1

Price is paid to take the extreme opposite opinion to the general public to get them mad and call in.

Same as today tonight and a current affair.

Alan jones is the same.

• Like 1

Just to make it totally clear. I am not related to the Cardinal in any way whatsoever.

• Like 4

According to Steve Price Pell has given evidence UNDER OATH and therefore should be believed. Talk about naive. And as for Pell's career? Well all the lying and obfuscation has gotten him close to the top. So yeah it's all been worth it.

Like i said earlier, Steve Price was all offended by Tim Minchins music.... he is OFFENDED BY A SONG but apparently he is ot offended by Australias most senior catholic being linked with child rapists ... says everything you need to know about devout catholics like Price.

Somgs by comedians = disrespectful and aweful

Priests raping kids = all ok!

• Like 1

The commission took the wrong approach, I would have asked if he was fine to travel to Spain, I hear they hold some pretty good inquisitions there. Â Doubt he would expect that

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

• Like 1

Funny sketch, but factually incorrect.

EVERYONE (in Spain) expected the Spanish Inquisition, and its history remains as the classic symbol of the Catholic church's repression, intollerance, arrogance and self-indulgence.

Only took someone just under 10 hours to get the reference. The commissioner is obviously not a python fan

It would have been poetic to see the church face an inquisition in Spain though

• Like 1

Most Catholics wouldn't be trying to defend the indefensible. Most, like me, would hold opinions very close to those expressed here by Kristina Keneally

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/feb/17/when-i-first-heard-tim-minchins-song-about-cardinal-pell-i-laughed-then-i-started-crying

Good piece, I think we could have done well to keep her in NSW politics, if only the politics hadnt got to her.

Surely its must be time for something like a revolution in the church where the "good Catholics" think of breaking away from the "old guard" for the most part they are showing no signs of remorse or a real desire to change.

Their actions have undoubtedly led to more deaths than any "terrorism" yet we punish them by giving them tax free status????

Its an interesting thought about the 'new age' catholics taking on the 'old guard'.

When we were living in the UK few years back there was a lot of rumblings amongst the Church of England community along these lines ... well, sort of backwards really - with some parishes deciding they would convert to older/traditional ways rather than modernise.

The Church of England is a lot more modern that the catholic church (women clergy, ministers can marry and have families etc). Near where we lived there was a parish where the minister had made some statement about being open to having gay couples attend the church and even getting married there. This caused a huge furore and the majority of older parishioners demanded that the minister be replaced.

Rather than becoming more modern, this particular parish demanded that their church should become more conservative (no gays, get rid of women clergy ... ). That particular church/parish eventually converted wholesale to the Roman Catholic Church as they saw it as more conservative.

The last I heard there was an argument about where the new catholic parish would meet - officially the building was owned by the Church of England ...

I can't seem to post links but if you look up St Peters in Folkestone (Kent) that was the church I refer to.

At the same time there were 5-6 bishops/senior clergy who also converted to Catholicism, and there were something line 50-6- parishes that wanted to do the same. Not ever sure what happened to it....

Anyway, I see your point about the more modern Christians 'rising up' to challenge the old school establishment, but it seems that (in some places at least) the more devout people actually want to openly challenge any type of modernisation. In Kent (when I lived there) there was open discourse amongst Church of England people that there should be no place for women in the church and no place for gay people....etc. They really wanted to hang onto old school conservative value from the 50's .... not just hang on to them, but actively more in a more conservative direction, rather than a more modern one ....

I thought Jesus was all about accepting everyone .... .!?

Edited by TryTriB4Forty

I thought Jesus was all about accepting everyone .... .!?

Yeah its a bit ironic when Christians give (hard line) Muslims a hard time about being selective in their reading of their texts, when Christians seem to be expert at it.

• Like 1

Yeah its a bit ironic when Christians give (hard line) Muslims a hard time about being selective in their reading of their texts, when Christians seem to be expert at it.

Just an aside, The Catholics or CoE don't have a monopoly on this. In the north of the UK ( Rochdale, Rotherham) there has been a huge issue with organised pedo gangs of Muslim men carrying repeated raping of children of a long period of time. The local mosques knew of this and actively obstructed Police in their investigation. It's still happening in some areas.

I don't care what flavour of book you subscribe to but men ( and women) that do this and then hide behind the sanctimonious protection of their religion have not earned the air they breathe.

Sadly, the children that need protecting the most are ones we only know about once they become victims. They are the ones that need 12ft high and 6ft thick defences, not the perpetrators.

• Like 4

Agreed FP.

For mine, I think all religions are as bad as each other.

The operate no different to multinational businesses - the guys at the top live in palaces and fly private jets, tinker in politics and to hell with everyone else.

Organised religion is about as hypocritical as it gets. And this whole saga with Pell is a prime example.

As pointed out by Roxii, the hypocrisy is made even worse by the fact they spend an inordinate amount of time preaching about helping the less fortunate and supporting those in need. What a lot of bullshit - they are in it for themselves and themselves alone.

Edited by TryTriB4Forty
  • Like 1

Agreed FP.

For mine, I think all religions are as bad as each other.

The operate no different to multinational businesses - the guys at the top live in palaces and fly private jets, tinker in politics and to hell with everyone else.

True :(

I was reading your post about the church in Kent. Funnily enough, the village where my Mother was born and grew up, culturally is about one small step removed from that island in 'The Wicker Man', very strong connection with the church, all gargoyles, brimstone and hellfire stuff ( nice jam though :) but they have a female vicar, in fact I think they are on their second. ( not quite sure what happened to the first, probably exiled for watching tv on a Sunday or something).

I saw Bolts written thing in the Terrorgraph today (whilst flicking through it at a café when getting coffee - I'd never pay for the damn thing).

I really couldn't believe what he was writing...

One thing stuck in my mind when he said Pell was being pursuit by a 'lynch mob' (referring to abuse victims)

What sort of sick individual refers to people who were raped as children and are now trying to find answers as a 'lynch mob'. I mean, that's pretty low

If Bolts wife was raped and his family demanded the questioning of the perpetrator or a colleague of the perpetrator I wonder how he would react to being referred to as a 'lynch mob' ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again .... the fact the Andrew Bolt is offended by a SONG WRITTEN BY A COMEDIAN but is not offended by an organisation that systematically covered up the rape of kids says it all ...

Edited by TryTriB4Forty
  • Like 1

Not that this is a politics thread, but I can't see why anyone would expect anything different out of Bolt. I still can't fathom how he was ever on channel 10 of all channels. But I would expect nothing less of him cause I have less than zero respect for his opinion. If he'd had the opposite opinion, I'd have to start questioning everything I believed in!

• Like 1

Not that this is a politics thread, but I can't see why anyone would expect anything different out of Bolt. I still can't fathom how he was ever on channel 10 of all channels. But I would expect nothing less of him cause I have less than zero respect for his opinion. If he'd had the opposite opinion, I'd have to start questioning everything I believed in!

I suspect that being a professional arsehole is working out well for Bolt - probably makes more than most of us.

But, as I alluded to before, the best outcome is that Pell gets a fair trial and faces the music. I would find that being judged (harshly :) by a member of the judiciary and criticised soundly as a prison term is announced would be the most satisfying result - much more than a bunch of angry people throwing eggs at him. Can you imagine the shock waves throughout the church when their number 3 man is given a prison sentence?

• Like 1