goughy

Cardinal Pell

13 minutes ago, goughy said:

Stick that up your arse god and church!

I think thats how this whole mess started!! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Peter said:

You know what I don't get is that people keep sending their kids to Catholic schools and giving the church money so their kids can keep going to them.  Not to mention they also tell everyone their Catholic.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen at other schools, but knowing what people actually know about the cover-ups and what has happened re convictions, how could anyone still send their kids and hand money over to a corrupt (ethics wise) institution these days?

This is something we explored in talking with some of the victims. Some of them have fallen out with family members who don't believe that the Church could do anything so orchestrated and evil. Some still continue to attend looking for some form of salvation. Some find another religion. Some (too many) have looked for salvation in the bottle / drugs or taken their own lives. None are the same afterwards.

People want to believe in something - we, as humans, are drawn to look for something else when we are suffering. I think it's a curiosity of trying to improve your own situation or looking for an escape. 

I grew up in a very strong Catholic town. The Catholic schools, single-sex when I was there, had armies of kids they could send to play us at sport and it wasn't really fair .... we had 350 boys to draw from and they had 1100! Some of the 9ths rowing crews had beards! The schools and the Churches are very protective of keeping their parishioners sweet - there is too much of an industry at stake. Hence, they feed the beast that then feeds them. Weirdly, there were people attaching ribbons to the fence of the Cathedral, then walking inside for a service. 

I gave up on all forms of religion after being involved in this. I choose to believe in myself and my own values, not a mythical fairy story with pixies and elves and stuff that never happened.

• Like 1

Not necessarily about Pell, but damn good to see something was done about this.  50 years ago, when the church still has significant power and was above reproach, regardless of what people "knew"....

It's something, though really too late for him.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-07/denis-ryan-victorian-detective-police-pension-booted-force/9645982

Edited by goughy

On 3/5/2018 at 9:55 AM, Peter said:

You know what I don't get is that people keep sending their kids to Catholic schools and giving the church money so their kids can keep going to them.  Not to mention they also tell everyone their Catholic.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen at other schools, but knowing what people actually know about the cover-ups and what has happened re convictions, how could anyone still send their kids and hand money over to a corrupt (ethics wise) institution these days?

Because most catholics ignore strict adherence to Church law (whcih I feel is out of touch with modern society) like divorce, contraception, sex outside marriage, same sex marriage etc. Most wouldn't know who is in any position outside their own Parish except the Pope and only hear what is in the media. Most would think their children will recieve a better education, pastoral care, better facilities or school culture than the local government high school. Most would also send their kids to school with 100% lay teachers. Most would also (rightly or wrongly) think that the institutional abuse was historical and a thing of the past. Most are Catholics of convenience, get their kids baptised so they qualify for enrolment in local Catholic school 5 years later. Most of these so called evangelical catholics Peter mentions would never attend Mass and certainly never tell anyone they are Catholic, the vast majority (including relatively devout) would be ashamed of the scandals involving people like Pell and some would have drifted away from the church because of this.

Locally, we have a couple of cases of abuse within Catholic private schools that don't fit the descriptor "historical".  Though of course, not involving priests.

21 hours ago, Parkside said:

Because most catholics ignore strict adherence to Church law (whcih I feel is out of touch with modern society) like divorce, contraception, sex outside marriage, same sex marriage etc. Most wouldn't know who is in any position outside their own Parish except the Pope and only hear what is in the media. Most would think their children will recieve a better education, pastoral care, better facilities or school culture than the local government high school. Most would also send their kids to school with 100% lay teachers. Most would also (rightly or wrongly) think that the institutional abuse was historical and a thing of the past. Most are Catholics of convenience, get their kids baptised so they qualify for enrolment in local Catholic school 5 years later. Most of these so called evangelical catholics Peter mentions would never attend Mass and certainly never tell anyone they are Catholic, the vast majority (including relatively devout) would be ashamed of the scandals involving people like Pell and some would have drifted away from the church because of this.

It's also the free and easy absolution that doesn't deal with the problem ... a couple of HMs and you're on your way. It fails to deal with the underlying problem....

I wonder how many "Hail mary's" Pell will have to do to make this all go away?

8 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I wonder how many "Hail mary's" Pell will have to do to make this all go away?

I think it might be out of his direct control. 

Looking through the article on Denis Ryan, that is how some communities dealt with matters up until the 1990s. There was still a very Catholic force in the Ballarat Police and it became more entrenched the further you went to the SA border. Portland and Warrnambool were almost exclusively Catholic Police forces and they had a 2-stage approach to "right-footers"...