Peter

Trump is the President

16 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Student loan cancellation

As in cancel the scheme?

also Soros and Koch would pay for their damage Under a price for carbon and use of the environment.

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

As in cancel the scheme?

As in loan forgiveness 

I thought we were playing a game of 'name things governments shouldn't be spending money on'

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

As in loan forgiveness 

I thought we were playing a game of 'name things governments shouldn't be spending money on'

Ah okay, you are saying don't forgive student loans. Everything is on the table, under investing in education is a sure path to a limited future for a nation, especially when knowledge, education and innovation are central to the future.

I'm not playing a game though, both sides have failed to do anything meaningful in western democracies, heck the Aussie budget looks a fair bit better if you:

put a price on carbon

get rid of diesel fuel rebate

novated car leases

Dividend imputation

Negative gearing

ditch corporate tax cuts

All those things would make an immediate and meaningful impact on the bottom line, but people didn't want it. People are happy with things the way they are.

In the US I have raised the option of cutting Defence spending on just one carrier battle group, that gives them 27 billion and a trillion over life of type.

Also what is the damage caused by Soros to the environment, the good thing about a price on environmental damage is the market does not care that you are left or right.

Final question, why do free market types (on here) resist the market regulating the price on environmental damage while supporting Trump Government interventions in the market with Tariffs

2 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Ah okay, you are saying don't forgive student loans. Everything is on the table, under investing in education is a sure path to a limited future for a nation, especially when knowledge, education and innovation are central to the future.

I'm not playing a game though, both sides have failed to do anything meaningful in western democracies, heck the Aussie budget looks a fair bit better if you:

put a price on carbon

get rid of diesel fuel rebate

novated car leases

Dividend imputation

Negative gearing

ditch corporate tax cuts

All those things would make an immediate and meaningful impact on the bottom line, but people didn't want it. People are happy with things the way they are.

In the US I have raised the option of cutting Defence spending on just one carrier battle group, that gives them 27 billion and a trillion over life of type.

Also what is the damage caused by Soros to the environment, the good thing about a price on environmental damage is the market does not care that you are left or right.

Final question, why do free market types (on here) resist the market regulating the price on environmental damage while supporting Trump Government interventions in the market with Tariffs

There's a lot there to unpack, so I'll get back when I have some more spare time on my hands

Point 1 is correct though, it's more of an issue in the US though since a few of the Democratic nominees have proposed student loan forgiveness.  So basically they'll be telling coal miners in Ohio that they'll have to pay more tax so some kid from Bel Air can get a PhD in lesbian dance theory

Good luck with that...

not sure support student debt forgiveness, where does it end why not have mortgage forgiveness.

the above are things that will materially impact bottom line immediately, not arguing the right or wrong left or right they will give the effect sought especially by conservatives.

Banning cars would materially impact the road toll too.  Let's not cure the flu with chemo

Carbon pricing is economically damaging as it artificially increases a key production cost

Agree on the diesel rebate - but scrapping it would increase transportation costs 

Novated car leases generate FBT don't they?

Dividend imputation avoids double taxing

Negative gearing I am okay with as it encourages investment and therefore self-sufficiency in retirement

And corporate tax cuts mean more disposable income for the business sector which means more economic growth and job creation

The US has eleven carrier battle groups which represent a pretty diverse range of capabilities.  I don't think slashing this capability by 9% would serve America's interests too well

Soros' personal impact on the environment would be the same as Koch's, and any demonstrable environmental damage done by Koch Industries should be met with fines just like any other company

Your last question has two parts.  If by 'environmental damage' you're referring to CO2 emissions, there is nowhere near enough evidence to be able to subjectively state how much individuals or companies are responsible for specific events.  And I don't support Trump's tarriffs

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Banning cars would materially impact the road toll too.  Let's not cure the flu with chemo

Carbon pricing is economically damaging as it artificially increases a key production cost

Agree on the diesel rebate - but scrapping it would increase transportation costs 

Novated car leases generate FBT don't they?

Dividend imputation avoids double taxing

Negative gearing I am okay with as it encourages investment and therefore self-sufficiency in retirement

And corporate tax cuts mean more disposable income for the business sector which means more economic growth and job creation

The US has eleven carrier battle groups which represent a pretty diverse range of capabilities.  I don't think slashing this capability by 9% would serve America's interests too well

Soros' personal impact on the environment would be the same as Koch's, and any demonstrable environmental damage done by Koch Industries should be met with fines just like any other company

Your last question has two parts.  If by 'environmental damage' you're referring to CO2 emissions, there is nowhere near enough evidence to be able to subjectively state how much individuals or companies are responsible for specific events.  And I don't support Trump's tarriffs

So what would you do. All of the above are based in free market principles 

36 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

So what would you do. All of the above are based in free market principles 

Carbon pricing is of course a market, but the idea of punitively taxing plant food is most definitely not a free market principle

There is no one, two or even ten individual solutions to the problem.  But free market principles lead to smaller and more efficient government which by its very nature requires less income

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Carbon pricing is of course a market, but the idea of punitively taxing plant food is most definitely not a free market principle

There is no one, two or even ten individual solutions to the problem.  But free market principles lead to smaller and more efficient government which by its very nature requires less income

Yes I agree but the conservatives are opposing small government and free market approaches

3 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Yes I agree but the conservatives are opposing small government and free market approaches

Which means they're doing it wrong

Which means they're doing it wrong

Can I confirm that you agree that conservative governments are doing it wrong

54 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Can I confirm that you agree that conservative governments are doing it wrong

In terms of addressing deficit and debt, in particular the US and to a lesser extent Australia are indeed getting it wrong

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

In terms of addressing deficit and debt, in particular the US and to a lesser extent Australia are indeed getting it wrong

This was okay. Two different points of view debated, found a way to look at the issues and remove the politics and personal.

That Jim and I to behave differently. Now how will we solve 

3 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

This was okay. Two different points of view debated, found a way to look at the issues and remove the politics and personal.

That Jim and I to behave differently. Now how will we solve 

Now thats what I call love!!!

4 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Whistleblower's lawyer calls Trump's potential impeachment a 'coup'

https://www.foxnews.com/us/coup-whistleblower-attorney-2017-tweets-trump-impeachment

Let's see what CCN has to say about that

Hmmm, nothing.  Imagine my surprise...

Never mind that everything the whistleblower raised has been corroborated by trump appointees, the whistleblower is irrelevant now but trump needs a boogie man to endlessly raise talking points on to his base.

And I guess they played mind control tricks to make him say...”I need you to do me a favour though”

But in the real world, the trumps are not allowed to run a charity due to ripping off the sick & needy.

“Additionally, Mr. Trump admitted a number of key facts about the other self-dealing transactions he initiated as chair — specifically, that he used Foundation funds to settle legal obligations of companies he controlled, and that the Foundation paid for a portrait of Mr. Trump that cost $10,000.”

https://ag.ny.gov/press-release/2019/ag-james-secures-court-order-against-donald-j-trump-trump-children-and-trump

5 minutes ago, Nath. said:

Never mind that everything the whistleblower raised has been corroborated by trump appointees, the whistleblower is irrelevant now but trump needs a boogie man to endlessly raise talking points on to his base.

And I guess they played mind control tricks to make him say...”I need you to do me a favour though”

But in the real world, the trumps are not allowed to run a charity due to ripping off the sick & needy.

“Additionally, Mr. Trump admitted a number of key facts about the other self-dealing transactions he initiated as chair — specifically, that he used Foundation funds to settle legal obligations of companies he controlled, and that the Foundation paid for a portrait of Mr. Trump that cost $10,000.”

https://ag.ny.gov/press-release/2019/ag-james-secures-court-order-against-donald-j-trump-trump-children-and-trump

Everything the whistleblower raised has been corroborated by the transcript, which is a massive nothingburger

What it shows is intent

And Epstein didn't kill himself

Everything the whistleblower raised has been corroborated by the transcript, which is a massive nothingburger

“Is not a verbatim transcript....”

Damn facts keep getting in the way for your points....sorry, they’re not your points, they are GOP talking points to distract from the facts.

584F80DB-7326-4FA7-9228-3997625A84C3.jpeg

Edited by Nath.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nath. said:

“Is not a verbatim transcript....”

Damn facts keep getting in the way for your points

584F80DB-7326-4FA7-9228-3997625A84C3.jpeg

And in the absence of any new information to the contrary (which Schiff certainly would have leaked by now), it's reasonable to consider the transcript to be a true enough record of the call

Wow are you really peddling Epstein conspiracy theories now 🤦‍♂️.

Others are asking the same question... (trigger warning for you and more that Hillary Boogeyman Clinton appears on this video)

Edited by Rog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Rog said:

Wow are you really peddling Epstein conspiracy theories now 🤦‍♂️.

It wasn't really necessary, but thanks anyway for confirming that the left have no sense of humour...

20 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

It wasn't really necessary, but thanks anyway for confirming that the left have no sense of humour...

LOL

God, you're a sook

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

LOL

God, you're a sook

You appear to have me confused with Rog

Not sure how the hell you managed to do that...

Edited by IronJimbo

2 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

As a soon to be resident of DC, I will be able to provide you with advice from the coal face

DC voted 90% for Hillary, so you should fit right in 😋

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

Saw this saying today and think this is the best home for it (although there are quite a few threads lately this could go in)

Being-constantly-offended-doesnt-mean-yo

Spot on

21 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

DC voted 90% for Hillary, so you should fit right in 😋

From the previous tour, its amazing how little attention anyone other than die hards pay attention to politics in the US.

13 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

Saw this saying today and think this is the best home for it (although there are quite a few threads lately this could go in)

Donald Trump meme

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

From the previous tour, its amazing how little attention anyone other than die hards pay attention to politics in the US.

DC is awesome. You will love it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Maryland was an ok Ironman nothing amazing. 

13 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Probably do lake placid late season kq 

Just jumped back in......what’s going on, is Trump doing Maryland to try to get a KQ?

Fark, Jimbo would loose it if that happened.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nath. said:

Just jumped back in......what’s going on, is Trump doing Maryland to try to get a KQ?

Fark, Jimbo would loose it if that happened.

Race of the century.

Trump vs Kim jong-un. 

• Like 1

Day one of the public impeachment hearings yesterday

The likes of CNN certainly seemed convinced by the bloke who said he was concerned about a phone call with Trump that one of his staffers told him that he overheard

Apparently hearsay of hearsay is sufficient evidence to impeach a President these days

Yes if only they had first hand testimony on that call......oh wait, the GOP are fighting in court to prevent Sondland & Mulvaney from testifying. Why would that be?

anywho there are first hand witnesses coming so hold your horses.

9 minutes ago, Nath. said:

Yes if only they had first hand testimony on that call......oh wait, the GOP are fighting in court to prevent Sondland & Mulvaney from testifying. Why would that be?

anywho there are first hand witnesses coming so hold your horses.

Oh I'm on the edge of my seat Nath

As I'm sure you are, but for a different reason

Lets be honest, its just going to be argued and faught on partisan lines, and the final outcome will be determined whether 4 GOP senators are concerend enough about their jobs to vote to charge.

Considering the mid terms were record swings to dems and the recent Kentucky & Virginia results I'm tipping there are a few GOP's considering their future.