Peter

Trump is the President

11 hours ago, Mike Del said:

Here’s another who has no idea what is racist behaviour. It has nothing to do with left or right. 

And More’s joke would have him on his 1st counceling where I work.

Well if you tried that you would embarrass yourself as my words would not have represented racist behavior. As I mentioned yes culturally insensitive, but not racist.

I have stopped being amazed how all of these self righteous moral crusaders continue to show they have no idea about the topics they are so readily and passionately ready to attack over.

sjw = social justice warrior. I had to google it. That's a compliment in my book.

same with virtue signaller. I am happy to be called one of these as well. I'm happy for people to know what I believe and stand for, and what I won't. "The right" ie you and IJ, live in your polarised, dichotomous, black-white world while the rest of us see gray and nuance and can see several sides of a position.

someone quote this please so the RWNJ can't escape my self righteousness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, more said:

Well if you tried that you would embarrass yourself as my words would not have represented racist behavior. As I mentioned yes culturally insensitive, but not racist.

I have stopped being amazed how all of these self righteous moral crusaders continue to show they have no idea about the topics they are so readily and passionately ready to attack over.

He never said your comment was racist, just that it would get you counselling where he works. In all likelihood it would at my work too. 

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, more said:

You are the perfect reflection of the moral crusader.

2 hours ago, more said:

I never thought More's commentary was racist, but obviously someone took offence. I had to read the thread through again (last few pages)...and I still see no racism on behalf of More. Each to there own though.

Those offend often choose to be offended, why get upset and ruin your day.

1 hour ago, Parkside said:

I had to google RWNJ - Right Wing Nut Job?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

I never thought More's commentary was racist, but obviously someone took offence. I had to read the thread through again (last few pages)...and I still see no racism on behalf of More. Each to there own though.

Those offend often choose to be offended, why get upset and ruin your day.

Just The Customer aka defender of all things middle east because she lived there once you know? And on this occasion she thought it important that we get the pronunciation of the murdering scumbag head of ISIS correct..because that's what really matters  ;)

I don''t really care about all the other predictable typical suspects that 'would have piled on in these types of conversations-they are blocked as their opinion means nothing to me anyway. They are hilarious-act so morally superior yet are so quick to condemn, attack and insult anyone who has a different view. Ahhh the tolerant left...the noisy vocal minority..

The guy that blocks people who disagree with him is trying to preach about entitlement to different views 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Geez read this entire thread, every post you make. You exhibit very high intelligence. The internet is terrible place for emotional intelligence as it hits those bits of our brain that out is in fight mode.

I think you are a very smart guy, admire the strength of your conviction (anyone who does 5 hours a zwift is a god) and you write well. I am guilty of responding with emotion and not taking the points of view of others.

If you reflect on this and the other threads you might see that in yourself. Anyway we can all keep going on poking the bera bout left and right and saying he or she did that but you did that.

Or we could recognise that we all have some common experiences, interests and perhaps values, at least we are all here talking. Maybe thinking about this might make this a more enjoyable place to hang out

You hit the nail on the head - emotion is much more likely to generate a response that facts.  Politicians know this all too well

What I am doing though is calling out dishonest appeals to emotion made in lieu of intellectually honest debate.  It's very easy to call someone a racist in the hope that they'll somehow be shamed into backing down, but it doesn't do much for the discourse and isn't all that convincing 

And it's all well and good for the likes of Parky to think that slurring people makes him look virtuous, but I don't think there's much virtue in lying about people

14 hours ago, Parkside said:

sjw = social justice warrior. I had to google it. That's a compliment in my book.

same with virtue signaller. I am happy to be called one of these as well. I'm happy for people to know what I believe and stand for, and what I won't. "The right" ie you and IJ, live in your polarised, dichotomous, black-white world while the rest of us see gray and nuance and can see several sides of a position.

'ere ya go.

And for the RWNJs of the World that think cheap shots at Arab language or 'terms of endearment' thrown onto the end of a reply to a woman - 'darling', is just harmless comedy, having people like around Parky who call it out for what it is, is exactly what we need in the World.

Edited by The Customer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Rog said:

Ironjimbo’s definition of left is anyone who disagrees with him or his daddy. 

IIRC, IJ did describe Christopher Pyne and Julie Bishop as left of centre, so his definition of left is broader than most.

21 hours ago, Bored@work said:

What I don't get about Trump's speech

“died like a dog. He died like a coward"

Why would he poke the bear? I thought this would just piss them off even more & give them another reason to attack the US.

It sounds like language used in a primary school playground.

Trump has the vocabulary and eloquence of an 11 year old. I'm not sure why anyone would expect anything more sophisticated from him this far into his presidency.

8 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

RWNJ.........as opposed to RNJ, which I believe is the operation that Lance had. Or that may have been LNJ. I'm not sure. :unsure:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Paul Every said:

Trump has the vocabulary and eloquence of an 11 year old. I'm not sure why anyone would expect anything more sophisticated from him this far into his presidency.

What’s most disappointing is the example that sort of language from a world leader sets. It’s disgraceful. Once again.

Some say appealing to his supporter base? Well probably, but I don’t think it’s an act, that’s Trump. He’s a grub. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Terrorists are dogs.  Calling them dogs is not disgraceful 

Trump cares more about getting things done than hurting someone's feelings in the process.  And as Foz correctly noted earlier, people can get outraged by anything if they try hard enough 

27 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Trump cares more about getting things done than hurting someone's feelings in the process.  And as Foz correctly noted earlier, people can get outraged by anything if they try hard enough 

Leadership is more than just getting things done. It’s about culture. It’s about being a role model. It’s about setting a good example and leaving a legacy for those that come afterwards to follow. 

So yes he is getting things done, but what is being destroyed in the process?

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

How’s that trillion dollar deficit 

3 minutes ago, Kenneth said:

Leadership is more than just getting things done. It’s about culture. It’s about being a role model. It’s about setting a good example and leaving a legacy for those that come afterwards to follow. 

Trump has no filter and as I've said before he is most likely on the spectrum. He is obviously intelligent, as much as people love to bash him you don't get to where he has without being a very smart guy. 

The main difference between him and the rest of them he has no filter, he just says whatever is on his mind, he lies but so do the rest of them. He just isn't as polished at lying. 

This isn't a good thing or a defense, just an observation of the sad state of affairs that our politics has become. 

People don't want honesty, they want spin, non answers and fluff. 

Just like many sectors of our society that can't handle the truth without calling people racist. The way the whole aboriginal community has been mismanaged is a national disgrace. The amount of domestic violence, rape and child abuse is off the charts. But any real crital review and change is always derailed by chants of 'racism'... 

• Like 1

ISIS, red tape, unemployment among minorities...

Edited by IronJimbo

4 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Nice pivot 

The deficit is obviously an area of concern which needs attention 

15 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Nice pivot 

It won’t be hard for the next President to shine after this Ass Clown 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

You would think so, though unfortunately I won't hold my breath...I'm guessing  he will be re-elected and then it will swing hard left, destroying their economy and then the shit show will really begin. 

Edited by more

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Nice pivot 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-11/fact-check-have-the-liberals-doubled-net-debt/10595756

https://fullfact.org/economy/labour-and-conservative-records-national-debt/

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/468600-us-debt-surpasses-23-trillion-for-first-time

Economics which served us well through the industrial revolution, does not deal with the complexity and emergent properties presented by Globalism.

Western Democracies are struggling economically , this has lead to a rise in nationalistic and xenophobic leadership, blaming the situation on the "other".

Boris and Trump, either failed to grasp the fundamentals of their democracy and in both cases attempted to challenge or ignore the authority of the courts, the speaker and their own party.

The UK election is a test of whether the people still believe they can return to 1950 and 1960, rule Britannia (which was well done by then anyway) and in the US that we will all go down to Arnolds and hang with The Fonz while we manufacture low quality consumer goods and believe in the myth of American Exceptionalism.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2011/10/11/the-myth-of-american-exceptionalism/

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-11/fact-check-have-the-liberals-doubled-net-debt/10595756

https://fullfact.org/economy/labour-and-conservative-records-national-debt/

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/468600-us-debt-surpasses-23-trillion-for-first-time

Economics which served us well through the industrial revolution, does not deal with the complexity and emergent properties presented by Globalism.

Western Democracies are struggling economically , this has lead to a rise in nationalistic and xenophobic leadership, blaming the situation on the "other".

Boris and Trump, either failed to grasp the fundamentals of their democracy and in both cases attempted to challenge or ignore the authority of the courts, the speaker and their own party.

The UK election is a test of whether the people still believe they can return to 1950 and 1960, rule Britannia (which was well done by then anyway) and in the US that we will all go down to Arnolds and hang with The Fonz while we manufacture low quality consumer goods and believe in the myth of American Exceptionalism.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2011/10/11/the-myth-of-american-exceptionalism/

lol

I'd suspect that was written by AOC if it didn't contain words with more than three syllables

The underlying implication that everything Trump does is due to his racism is, of course, patently absurd

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Unless the Democrats somehow find a way to stop being insane and pull off a win next year

lol

I'd suspect that was written by AOC if it didn't contain words with more than three syllables

The underlying implication that everything Trump does is due to his racism is, of course, patently absurd

Jim you have lost me:

The reference pertaining to the US is circa 2011 and deals with the US myth of itself over a long period of time. The reference to US debt says nothing about racism. The post is written by me. It is a brief note of the challenges faced by western democracies. Links to Australia, US and UK debt positions support point of view, that it is not a political issue as neither side has been able to resolve the spiral of debt.

Other than than it sort of feels like a compliment

• Like 1

So you were agreeing with me that the deficit is obviously an area of concern which needs attention then

Okay

4 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Don’t criticize the business man who said he could fix their debt. 

51 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

We agree now what could be done?

As is the case here, they could make a genuine attempt to rein in spending  

21 hours ago, more said:

People don't want honesty, they want spin, non answers and fluff. 

Agree with most you said More except the above. Maybe I’m naive, but I’d like to think that people want the truth, and want something real they can believe in.

The state of politics at the moment doesn’t inspire much in me at the moment. Unfortunately the nature of the beast is to get re-elected at all costs, which means lack of conviction on controversial topics for fear of upsetting the apple cart. 

21 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

ISIS, red tape, unemployment among minorities...

Maybe, I just read an article on how hard it is to destroy an ideology.

Analysis: What Trump doesn't understand about winning the 'endless' war

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-02/islamic-state-abu-bakr-al-baghdadi-death-war-on-terror/11662608

I agree he’s doing things, he’s coming at problems in his own way, and no doubt he wants the best for his country. Politicians generally do regardless of which side they’re on. 

I don’t agree with a lot of what he’s doing. Can’t please everyone. What I take exception to is his manners, his arrogance, his pigheadedness - the list goes on. He doesn’t behave how I think a leader should. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

As is the case here, they could make a genuine attempt to rein in spending  

The western democracies who are not reining in spending are all on the conservative side of politics which you champion. Why are they not making genuine attempts to rein in spending?

35 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

The western democracies who are not reining in spending are all on the conservative side of politics which you champion. Why are they not making genuine attempts to rein in spending?

Because if what you say is true, they're getting it wrong 

So fixing a trillion dollar deficit is as easy as “reign in spending” but when it comes to gun deaths “reducing gun ownership” is not an acceptable answer. 
I suppose some things are simpler than others. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Because if what you say is true, they're getting it wrong 

Yes they are but that is all parties. We just happen to be in a conservative phase.

the failure of economics is one thing and once we change our thinking we might stand a chance.

but why are conservative governments failing to reign in spending is the question.

inconvienient answer we don’t want to go austerity as we won’t get elected also while we believe in it. It doesn’t actually work unless goal is to have the medium to low income earners bail out our mates in the finance and banking sectors.

trickle down flip to rising tide and we are getting some where

Carbon tax

consumption tax

invest infrastructure

education

reform healthcare to care rather than pay big pharma

reform social security

carrier battle group costs 27 billion not including life cycle costs. 80% of life cycle cost is a touch over a trillion.

So give up a carrier battle group or two would be a good start

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roxii said:

So fixing a trillion dollar deficit is as easy as “reign in spending” but when it comes to gun deaths “reducing gun ownership” is not an acceptable answer. 
I suppose some things are simpler than others. 

Not at all Roxii

Both are in fact quite difficult, and require serious discussion as to what is actually workable and what is not

And dismissing viewpoints you don't like is not helpful

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

Yes they are but that is all parties. We just happen to be in a conservative phase.

the failure of economics is one thing and once we change our thinking we might stand a chance.

but why are conservative governments failing to reign in spending is the question.

inconvienient answer we don’t want to go austerity as we won’t get elected also while we believe in it. It doesn’t actually work unless goal is to have the medium to low income earners bail out our mates in the finance and banking sectors.

trickle down flip to rising tide and we are getting some where

The problem is of course that it's very easy to throw money at people, but very difficult to take it away

There are many bloated bureaucracies in government, but proposals to trim fat are an open invitation for the opposition to throw in an emotive argument and knock it on the head

"What do you mean you don't you want to throw an extra twenty billion at public schools?  Don't you care about kids?"

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Hit Koch for damage he causes 

Okay, as long as we can hit Soros for the damage he causes

Not at all Roxii

Both are in fact quite difficult, and require serious discussion as to what is actually workable and what is not

Giving the top earners and big companies a tax break which lead to the biggest share  buy back in their own shares in US history didn’t help things.

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Funniest thing ever said on here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nath. said:

Giving the top earners and big companies a tax break which lead to the biggest share  buy back in their own shares in US history didn’t help things.

Well given that higher disposable income usually leads to higher investment and spending, I would suggest that it probably has helped things

I don't subscribe to the theory that wealthy people store all their cash in Scrooge McDuck style money bins