Peter

Trump is the President

1 minute ago, Prince said:

Is Trump going to be the cause of a recession? should i be concerned?

Fingers crossed he only serves one term.

I read about the race riots in Cronulla. I won't be going there.

SF is a great place. Shame you won't get to experience it.

1 minute ago, Bored@work said:

I read about the race riots in Cronulla. I won't be going there.

SF is a great place. Shame you won't get to experience it.

Tsk tsk 

You're not allowed to comment about Cronulla unless you've been there

2 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Have you lived in dc Baltimore or other city referenced

No Barry 

Does that mean all of the crime statistics about those places are wrong?

9 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

No Barry 

Does that mean all of the crime statistics about those places are wrong?

Context helps appreciation of the data 

7 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Context helps appreciation of the data 

I'm not sure what context matters when you have 100 people shot in a single weekend? 

You sound  like one of those people who claim Afghanistan etc are lovely peaceful places that have  been demonized by the media... Until they are kidnapped and have their heads chopped off.. 

Comment by a poor cyclist just a month or so before meeting his fate in the middle east... "Badness exists, sure, but even that's quite rare. By and large, humans are kind. Self-interested sometimes, myopic sometimes, but kind. Generous and wonderful and kind. No greater revelation has come from our journey than this."

Edited by more
  • Like 1

The mass shootings are motivated by different factors to the drive by. They are undertaken by different types of actor.

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Tsk tsk 

You're not allowed to comment about Cronulla unless you've been there

I read about it on the internet it had to be true 

9 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I read about it on the internet it had to be true 

Unless you read it in the SMH

2 hours ago, Parkside said:

Jimbo, yes or no answer. Have you personally travelled to the USA yet?

haha I have him on block but I can guess the answer will be no.

He is no different to the Sydney farktards that bag melbourne yet have never been there.

I think anyone that bags an area that has never been there is just an uneducated fool.

Go to NYC and hate it and then go for gold.  bag it as much as you want.  

I will admit I never wanted to go to London, yet when I was there in 2009 for a week, I loved it and could have actually moved there.

It was that day that I stopped bagging locations, that I'd never been too.

Maybe one day ironjimbo might actually just pull his head out of his arse.

* I really hope after this rant he has never been to the USA.  HAHA

15 minutes ago, Peter said:

haha I have him on block but I can guess the answer will be no.

He is no different to the Sydney farktards that bag melbourne yet have never been there.

I think anyone that bags an area that has never been there is just an uneducated fool.

Go to NYC and hate it and then go for gold.  bag it as much as you want.  

I will admit I never wanted to go to London, yet when I was there in 2009 for a week, I loved it and could have actually moved there.

It was that day that I stopped bagging locations, that I'd never been too.

Maybe one day ironjimbo might actually just pull his head out of his arse.

* I really hope after this rant he has never been to the USA.  HAHA

Geezus I hated London!!

10 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I’m never going to Brisbane. It’s always dark, cold & raining & 4am 

Only on Mt Cootha. You can see the rain clouds from the dam, where it's lovely & warm & the sun is shining. :)

See you there soon.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

If he just comments for attention and there’s rarely any fact or substance in his posts I think it doesn’t really matter if he claims to have visited or not. 

31 minutes ago, Mike Del said:

If he just comments for attention and there’s rarely any fact or substance in his posts I think it doesn’t really matter if he claims to have visited or not. 

How many of the people on here who like to claim 'the US is f*cked' whenever there is a shooting have never been there?

Ive been there, and I have friends who live there. 

They live in a good neighbourhood, have good jobs and are well educated but are looking at ways to try and get over here. The new VFX studio in Sydney may be their out. 

When I have been there as much as I love the place there is always something nagging in the back of your brain about the "what if". 

It used to be all about getting "mugged" in NYC, which you avoided by not being out late and alone in certain parts, now its about being shot dead by some random anywhere anytime for any (or no) reason, something that you simply cannot plan for. 

1 hour ago, more said:

Geezus I hated London!!

You weren't there with me

38 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

How many of the people on here who like to claim 'the US is f*cked' whenever there is a shooting have never been there?

Most people aren't saying the US is ****ed, they are saying their gun laws are.

Six cops in Philly are probably saying the same thing right now too.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, roxii said:

Ive been there, and I have friends who live there. 

I'm not following this very closely but...

I've been to the States a fair bit. My wife's American and used to work for Continental and then Qantas. Travelling to the States became quite a regular occurrence. Many of the people I've met have been great but there's also a low 'nice people to fruit loop ratio'. There is no way I would ever consider living there (unless it was Hawaii or Alaska). Even my wife, who still has ties with friends and relos, would never even consider the idea.

On the other hand, we recently spent a few weeks in Japan - now there's a country I could adopt. Nicest and most respectful people I've ever met in many years of travel. We got home and everyone seemed rude. The best part, you can go out strolling the back streets at any hour of the day or night and ALWAYS feel safe. We could learn a lot from them.

I'm seriously beyond caring about the States - if they don't care I don't know why I should.

Edited by trinube
  • Like 2

I would move to San Fran straight away if I could. In fact if work needed me in the USA I would be there by Monday & the family would move over ASAP. The longest delay would be getting the dog across there. 

I have been to the USA 10 times and visited a bucket load of states. We go once or twice a year & can’t wait to get back. 

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

I would move to San Fran straight away if I could. In fact if work needed me in the USA I would be there by Monday & the family would move over ASAP. The longest delay would be getting the dog across there. 

I have been to the USA 10 times and visited a bucket load of states. We go once or twice a year & can’t wait to get back. 

Someone mentioned the ratio of nice people to loonies, I couldn't agree more. I went from waiting at a bus stop talking to the nicest young bloke to jumping on a bus and having a crazy guy with a death wish call a black guy in front of me a nigger trying to get a reaction and then calling me a fu$king jew trying to get me to bite lol

Crazies every where over there for some reason... 

6 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Look closer to home. 10 years ago we stayed at the Raddison in Sydney CBD. Directly across the road were a group of homeless sleeping in a foyer/landing of an officeblock. With no 24 hour public facilities there were numerous 1s and 2s in public areas the next morning. 

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/central-sydney/public-poo-pandemic-leads-to-call-for-24hour-toilet-services/news-story/94fb2d663aab43baad01ebb73fe70340

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Would you live in West Baltimore?

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Would you live in West Baltimore?

Not sure I have never been there.

Would you live in Western Sydney?

29 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I do, no issues at all.

1 minute ago, trinube said:

I do, no issues at all.

What's the dodgy part of Sydney I keep seeing on A Current Affair?

Your area is nice, I would live there.

16 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

What's the dodgy part of Sydney I keep seeing on A Current Affair? Your area is nice, I would live there.

There's dodgy parts everywhere in Sydney, just like any other city.

ACA like to hunt people down in the housing commission/high unemployment/high drug areas. There's definitely areas of Sydney I'd prefer not to go but there's plenty of good people around here.

• Thanks 2

Anacostia is like an African country for crime, HIV, poverty. Sydney's worst suburbs are a paradise. Australia is pretty good at providing a safety net.

6 hours ago, more said:

Geezus I hated London!!

As a mate said once, great place to visit for a week with lots planned during a summer, but you wouldn't want to live there. He said the winters are miserable and long.

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Already have 

5 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Most people aren't saying the US is ****ed, they are saying their gun laws are.

Six cops in Philly are probably saying the same thing right now too.

I don't know where all this hate for the US comes from. From my experience I am only aware of two crimes and the second one I believe is valid.

1. A snow boarder took my line in park City

2. No Snowboarders allowed in Deer Valley..... This is good!!!!

Having lived there for almost a year now, there is lots to like and not like about the US, and particularly New York.

We are currently in France on a train down to Marseille and then Nice. That’s the part to like about living in the US - traveling and exploring the world is a lot more manageable and somewhat affordable - it took us ˜7hours from NYC to Paris.

Professionally it has been a great move for me - lots of opportunities here to learn, grow and make money while being in the middle of the tech scene.

My wife and the kids are so far enjoying life in NYC, there is just so much for them to do and experience.  

But there are also lots of bad things, and IMO they are pretty bad.

This country is really messed up when it comes to healthcare and inequality in general. If you happen to be part of the privileged minority that gets company subsidized health care then you are fine but for the rest of the population it is just a complete ****ed up and expensive system. 

The kids get exposed to a lot more here (that can be good and bad), mental health is definitely a big issues. Lots of crazies about, and they are usually pretty loud, and sometimes aggressive.

Inequality is really in your face all the time - so much homelessness and just a massive gap between those who can and those who can’t. I don’t know how that could ever be fixed - it’s almost like people thrive on it here - being better than the other, having more, etc.

The other thing that baffles me about NYC is just how dirty the place is. I just don’t get how it can be so dirty!

We are probably going to be there for a couple more years to make it worth our while (and travel as much as possible) but I don’t think I could ever live permanently in the US - at least not in NYC (or San Francisco which has all the same problems).

I think if you were born in Australia it is very easy to take certain things for granted that I never will. Having the perspective and experience of living in another country before moving there makes it even clearer to me that Australia is a very special place and most likely where we will end up permanently (maybe after a stint in Europe if things work out that way).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Bored@work said:

It wouldn't.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, trinube said:

On the other hand, we recently spent a few weeks in Japan - now there's a country I could adopt. Nicest and most respectful people I've ever met in many years of travel. We got home and everyone seemed rude. The best part, you can go out strolling the back streets at any hour of the day or night and ALWAYS feel safe. We could learn a lot from them.

Unless you're Korean. :lol:

7 hours ago, Bored@work said:

I would move to San Fran straight away if I could ... We go once or twice a year & can’t wait to get back. 

Why? Not an accusation, genuinely want to know why anyone would want to move to the US. Would you go anywhere other than San Fran?

2 hours ago, Rog said:

Having lived there for almost a year now, there is lots to like and not like about the US, and particularly New York.

We are currently in France on a train down to Marseille and then Nice. That’s the part to like about living in the US - traveling and exploring the world is a lot more manageable and somewhat affordable - it took us ˜7hours from NYC to Paris.

Professionally it has been a great move for me - lots of opportunities here to learn, grow and make money while being in the middle of the tech scene.

My wife and the kids are so far enjoying life in NYC, there is just so much for them to do and experience.  

This country is really messed up when it comes to healthcare and inequality in general. If you happen to be part of the privileged minority that gets company subsidized health care then you are fine but for the rest of the population it is just a complete ****ed up and expensive system. 

The kids get exposed to a lot more here (that can be good and bad), mental health is definitely a big issues. Lots of crazies about, and they are usually pretty loud, and sometimes aggressive.

Inequality is really in your face all the time - so much homelessness and just a massive gap between those who can and those who can’t. I don’t know how that could ever be fixed - it’s almost like people thrive on it here - being better than the other, having more, etc.

The other thing that baffles me about NYC is just how dirty the place is. I just don’t get how it can be so dirty!

We are probably going to be there for a couple more years to make it worth our while (and travel as much as possible) but I don’t think I could ever live permanently in the US - at least not in NYC (or San Francisco which has all the same problems).

I think if you were born in Australia it is very easy to take certain things for granted that I never will. Having the perspective and experience of living in another country before moving there makes it even clearer to me that Australia is a very special place and most likely where we will end up permanently (maybe after a stint in Europe if things work out that way).

Travelling to Europe from the US is a privilege most in the US don't have as they only have 2 weeks holidays a year. To me (a European), that is shocking and unsustainable (5-6 weeks leave is the norm)

The inequality is something I also probably couldn't deal with, although I am (partially) aware that it is very well hidden from us in everyday society in (eg) Sydney

4 hours ago, Rog said:

Good post Rog. Very balanced and real. A good read. Thanks.

The problem is those who have never live in the US realistically assume the place is all the same. I have a friend that would live in the US for sure without question, but his statement is obscured and not real because he is only refering to 'ski towns' in places like Colorado which is no doubt very very different to the back streets of San Fran, LA and NYC.

It's also why I posted the below a few threads above.. People see things through rose coloured glasses for sure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't know where all this hate for the US comes from. From my experience I am only aware of two crimes and the second one I believe is valid.

1. A snow boarder took my line in park City

2. No Snowboarders allowed in Deer Valley..... This is good!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by IronmanFoz

4 hours ago, BogFrog said:

Why? Not an accusation, genuinely want to know why anyone would want to move to the US. Would you go anywhere other than San Fran?

I haven't travelled extensively in USA. Just NYC, LA, Colorado, Tennessee, Hawaii. I really enjoyed it all. Colorado and Chattanooga were really wholesome, friendly places. Everything is amplified. The supermarkets and health food stores are massive. Packaging of food is sublime. Clothing and adventure stores are staggering in choice, quality and price. Food is plentiful and generous. The National parks are truly great. I know the threat of guns is present but had many encounters with very friendly and caring people, including one black lady who waited for me to fill and pay for petrol at 4am outside Atlanta to make sure I got going safely. Didn't feel necessary but I appreciated her kindness. For design and can-do attitude, USA is great. The politics sucks. 

As for London, it's not for me. Grey city, grey people. Racial tension. Tired and I find it boring unfortunately (compared to the beauty of European capitals).

mental health is a huge issue in america that needs to be addressed there are far too many people all around us who actually think trump is a great president

7 hours ago, BogFrog said:

3 hours ago, The Customer said:

I haven't travelled extensively in USA. Just NYC, LA, Colorado, Tennessee, Hawaii. I really enjoyed it all. Colorado and Chattanooga were really wholesome, friendly places. Everything is amplified. The supermarkets and health food stores are massive. Packaging of food is sublime. Clothing and adventure stores are staggering in choice, quality and price. Food is plentiful and generous. The National parks are truly great. I know the threat of guns is present but had many encounters with very friendly and caring people, including one black lady who waited for me to fill and pay for petrol at 4am outside Atlanta to make sure I got going safely. Didn't feel necessary but I appreciated her kindness. For design and can-do attitude, USA is great. The politics sucks. 

I agree with The Customer. I have visited LA, Vegas, San Dieago, Lake Tahoe, Sacramento, Hawaii, Louisville Kentucky, Florida, Miami, The Keys, Washington, Philly, NYC, Gerogia, Chattanooga, Denver, Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle, Phoneix, Baltimore, Virginnia and a few others I'm sure I have missed.

I would probably live in everyone one of those places for a period of time. Chattanooga was beautiful with some of the warmest and friendliest people. The youth use words like "Sir", "Ma'am", and "thankyou". 

My best mates live in Marin County in SF so I would move there as my first choice to live. The parks, walking trails and community events are awesome. I love the way everyone supports their local shcool and their sports team. Last time I was over there I went to a girls high school water polo game. There would have been 400+ people watching, a great atmoshphere. 

But I would live in most places in the US. The number of different events they have is amazing. You could pick an IM or 70.3 most weekends of the year within a short plane ride. Marathons, community events, concerts etc.

The industry I work in would also have a lot more oppurtunities in the USA. 

My daughter is talking about going to college in the USA. She's want's to get a spot at Cal State. 

Yep they have guns there and yes random attacks happen. But from all my travels there if you mind your own business don't act like a dick. You don't have any problems.

* We went to the area of Philly last year where the shooting was yesterday. I WOULD NEVER live there. But I would live about 15km away.

if you mind your own business don't act like a dick. You don't have any problems.

Not entirely true - my wife had a nasty experience with a cabbie in NYC where she thought she was gonna get attacked. Jumped out of the car and ran. Seriously lucky he didn't have a gun.

They just don't think like the rest of the world. I have some very, very good friends there but they also say and do some really unacceptable things - mostly around their guns...

There's a reason my wife's whole family came here - and they know way more about the States than any of us tourists.

Edited by trinube
  • Like 2

Yep they have guns there and yes random attacks happen. But from all my travels there if you mind your own business don't act like a dick. You don't have any problems.

....... until you are simply in the wrong place at the wrong time and some nutter has a semi auto. 

• Like 1