Peter

Trump is the President

7 hours ago, Mike Del said:

How is he "correct" Iron? Your statement doesn't even make sense, what's correct about it? Thousands have arrived against the government's wishes since Howard said this in 2001

Because when you give up your borders you give up your country.  As we are seeing across Europe

The difference between visa overstayers and boat people (which I assume is the distinction you are trying to draw) is that overstayers arrive with a passport and a visa, so we at least know who the f*ck they are...

7 hours ago, Rog said:

So the “humanitarian crisis” at the border will be solved by a wall that will cost way more than the 5 billion he is asking for, AND many years to build.

PLLLLLLLEASE!

One thing to make clear here is that both democrats and republicans agree on the need to secure borders. And for the most part both sides also agree that a WALL is not the solution to it. 

This is no longer an immigration but a credibility issue for Trump and he knows the stakes are very high, particularly with his base. Anything but a win here will make him look weak and I think it’s very likely that he will call a national emergency as he will not get what he’s asked for through Congress. 

The democrats believed that walls were effective in 2010 when Chuck Schumer bragged about the wall Obama was building

And the Democrats can hardly whine about a measly $5 billion for national security when you look at all the other shit they want to waste money on

14 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Mexico is an awesome holiday destination.

Agree

14 hours ago, more said:

Yep I've been to Cabo and Cancoon....but step outside those places and your chances of the sh!t hitting the fan increase exponentially. 

That being said Los Cabos does have the highest murder rate in the world...lol actually Mexico has 5 of the top 10 highest murder rate cities int he world! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_murder_rate

I’ve been to Cabo.  It reminded me of Noosa.  

I liked it.  Wouldn’t go back.  Enjoyed puerto vallarta much more.  People were great. No issues at night.  Great beaches.  

I get the whole wall thing.  At the moment they can’t control who’s coming in. 

But Trump needs to do a deal. Not say, “it’s my way or no way”.  Politics is about doing deals. At least it’s been a week since he played a game of golf.  He’s actually running the country now. 

Trump campaigned on the premise that the govt was broken and “I alone can fix it”. And also “I do deals, I’m the best deal maker there is.”

Doesnt look like much of a deal maker now...he’s just a snake oil salesman

• Like 1

The Republicans have always been better at policy than politics

The reverse is true for the Democrats 

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

The Republicans have always been better at policy than politics

The reverse is true for the Democrats 

I don't think that's generally true. But even if it was - Trump isn't a "republican" or a "democrat". He is Trump. 

• Like 1

Trump has governed more conservatively than any President since Reagan, and obviously way more conservatively than Hillary would have

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Trump has governed more conservatively than any President since Reagan, and obviously way more conservatively than Hillary would have

How do you know how Hillary would have governed?

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

By how she performed in her previous roles and what she was promising

Using that logic. Trump would bankrupt the country, then fire people who disagree with him............

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Using that logic. Trump would bankrupt the country, then fire people who disagree with him............

The US has basically been bankrupt for decades, and he does enjoy firing people so.... 

We have a winner! 

Surely the obvious solution is to send the Wall funding idea to a committee.

13 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Well he has added over $2 trillion to national debt, the share market performed its worst in 10yrs in 2018 and he has god knows how many keys roles currently filled by ‘acting’ temp people because he fired the person in the role.

2 hours ago, Nath. said:

Well he has added over $2 trillion to national debt, the share market performed its worst in 10yrs in 2018 and he has god knows how many keys roles currently filled by ‘acting’ temp people because he fired the person in the role.

#fakenews

I was wondering how long until America... becomes a 3rd world country 

Edited by Peter

1 hour ago, Dalai said:

My Super went backwards due to the US stockmarket slump in 2018  #notfakenews

As did a lot of super funds. As self funded retirees, relying on our Super for a pension, it’s just frightening watching your hard earned money go down the drain because of what’s happening in the world with Brexit etc. But the trade war between the USA and China and Trumps general attitude to the rest of the world has frightened everyone and seems to have had the greatest impact. As they say the USA sneezes and we catch a cold.

2 hours ago, Dalai said:

Ouch!

2 hours ago, Dalai said:

Sorry I didn't make my point very clear.

Nothing Trump does is ever wrong, he's making America Great Again. His standard response to everything is Fake News.

1 hour ago, fiftyplus said:

As did a lot of super funds. As self funded retirees, relying on our Super for a pension, it’s just frightening watching your hard earned money go down the drain because of what’s happening in the world with Brexit etc. But the trade war between the USA and China and Trumps general attitude to the rest of the world has frightened everyone and seems to have had the greatest impact. As they say the USA sneezes and we catch a cold.

This is why it's so much better to have no super or future prospects to look forward to...... 

He said concrete!  Maybe this is why he wants to build a wall of Star pickets?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, goughy said:

This is why it's so much better to have no super or future prospects to look forward to...... 

I  thought the government introduced compulsory super to hopefully lessen the burden of paying for pensions. We’ve done all the things the government wants, by selling our house in Sydney (Hornsby Heights so not multi $millions) and moved regional (Bathurst) to retire. This is also when you need a good Financial Adviser, (see other thread) I also understand their are a lot of people without any or not enough Super, so we feel fortunate, but it’s still frustrating when Trump opens his mouth and you see your savings go south.

• Like 1

I was being a bit sarcastic as well as truthful.  I have neither of those, most people do.

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Sorry I didn't make my point very clear.

Nothing Trump does is ever wrong, he's making America Great Again. His standard response to everything is Fake News.

Thanks for the clarification. Actually was surprised as thought you were agreeing with the Trumpet!

1 minute ago, goughy said:

I was being a bit sarcastic as well as truthful.  I have neither of those, most people do.

I know and as I said, I feel fortunate and if you are self employed and have family and put all resources into a business it can be tough when the time comes to retire.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tyno said:

Surely the obvious solution is to send the Wall funding idea to a committee.

Not likely, given that House Committees would be chaired by Democrats these days

Buckle up, Michael Cohen due to be interviewed by Congress live in TV 7 Feb!

I don't think your Super balance is something to stress about on a daily basis. What goes down must go up. Just be patient and it will not only return to where it was but will go even higher. 

1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

Re: the Wall. This was an election promise - I guess he wants to fulfil his promises :)

Why can't he just use thoughts & prayers to protect the border? That's all he uses to protect their schools. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Re: the Wall. This was an election promise - I guess he wants to fulfil his promises :)

Won't be fulfilling it unless Mexico plays for it...

3 hours ago, goughy said:

Won't be fulfilling it unless Mexico plays for it...

Don't you listen to the news?

Mexico are already paying for it with the great trade deal he negotiated. There was never any intention of them actually providing real dollars to build it.

12 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Don't you listen to the news?

Mexico are already paying for it with the great trade deal he negotiated. There was never any intention of them actually providing real dollars to build it.

Correct......

4 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Why can't he just use thoughts & prayers to protect the border? That's all he uses to protect their schools. 

Which president do you refer to? They all have there thoughts and there prayers and do nothing. Guns: John Howard for US presidency!!!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Correct......

Which president do you refer to? They all have there thoughts and there prayers and do nothing. Guns: John Howard for US presidency!!!

That's all Trump does/says after a mass school shooting.

16 hours ago, Bored@work said:

That's all Trump does/says after a mass school shooting.

And Obama and Bush and Clinton etc....

But Obama was so much more insincere. It was appalling.

Oh rubbish.  Obama was the one president in living memory who spoke about the need for real gun control.  He was always resigned to the fact it would never happen though.  Perhaps his "thoughts and prayers" were simply delivered in a mocking manner rather than pretending it mattered?

• Like 1

I've said this in the gun control thread, and I'll say it her again.  The first president that attempts to make any decent inroads to gun control will be shot.  And I bet they know that too!  Simple as that.  It's a death sentence.

7 hours ago, Stikman said:

Oh rubbish.  Obama was the one president in living memory who spoke about the need for real gun control.  He was always resigned to the fact it would never happen though.  Perhaps his "thoughts and prayers" were simply delivered in a mocking manner rather than pretending it mattered?

But did he try..................hmmmm!!! He didn't even bother. If he really deserved his peace prize he would have at least made an attempt!

Also...what Goughy says above. Obama was packing alright!!! packing darkies!!!

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

But did he try..................hmmmm!!! He didn't even bother. If he really deserved his peace prize he would have at least made an attempt!

Also...what Goughy says above. Obama was packing alright!!! packing darkies!!!

I think you've caught syphilis or something through your lack of toilet hygiene and have lost the plot...?

• Confused 1

53 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Darkies???

Shitting himself....referring back to Goughy's comments.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Shitting himself....referring back to Goughy's comments.

U lost me, thanks for the clarification